AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-06, 23:54   Link #1
imoyama

Anime similar to Another?

So, I've just started watching the new anime Another and am really enjoying it.

I was hoping you guys could recommend me some anime of a similar style.

Is there anything out there like it, like dark, mysterious, supernatural, thriller types I guess you could call it.

Maybe its a horror? But its also got good elements of suspense and a mystery you try to figure out too, and all the while crazy bad stuff is going down.

Anyways, lemme know what you guys recommend.

Thanks!
Old 2012-02-07, 00:00   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Give Higurashi a shot.
Old 2012-02-07, 00:06   Link #3
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Mirai Nikki should be right up that alley. I 2nd Higurashi if you haven't seen that already.

Old 2012-02-07, 02:12   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Denpa Teki Na Kanojo but it's more of solving disturbing events (like murder). It's 2 OVAs and around 40 mins each. It's nicely done and I love the story. It's worth watching.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:30   Link #5
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

"Umineko no Naku Koro ni" the sequel to Higurashi. Its more of a brain twister than Higurashi though Higurashi has the cute and funny Rena
Old 2012-02-07, 08:53   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoyama View Post
Is there anything out there like it, like dark, mysterious, supernatural, thriller types I guess you could call it.

Maybe its a horror? But its also got good elements of suspense and a mystery you try to figure out too, and all the while crazy bad stuff is going down.
In Bakeneko and its sequel Mononoke, a travelling medicine seller slays demons by deducing three key features of each opponent. It touches on all your requests.

The rather obscure show Mouryou no Hako begins with a train ride where we encounter a man carrying a box with a girl's head mounted inside that suddenly begins singing. It all gets more mysterious from there.

In a more light-hearted, indeed sometimes silly, vein we have Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo. The gorgeous Ryoko is the head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police. The weak plot is saved by a witty script and excellent voice acting performances.

Finally, though it's not really a supernatural show (but the science fiction aspects often seem fantastical), you might still enjoy Nijuu Mensou no Musume about a young heiress who is kidnapped by a master thief. It's based on characters invented by Edogawa Rampo, the best-known Japanese mystery writer.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-02-07 at 20:26.
Old 2012-02-07, 18:37   Link #7
Kirarakim

I'd definitely recommend Ghost Hunt.
Old 2012-02-07, 18:52   Link #8
kitten320

Ghost Hunt would be a must.

Shiki is a good choice too. However, for a viewer a lot of things are clear but it is fun to see how things will reasolve in the show. Some things still surprised me.
Old 2012-02-07, 19:58   Link #9
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Ghost Hunt would be a must.

Shiki is a good choice too. However, for a viewer a lot of things are clear but it is fun to see how things will reasolve in the show. Some things still surprised me.
I highly recommend these two series as well. Try them out especially Ghost Hunt.

I'd also like to add Ghost Hound to the list of recommended shows.
Old 2012-02-07, 20:50   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ghost Hound is definitely my first choice. It's much more an emotional mystery/thriller were Another is more horror, but they share similar brilliance in direction, animation and sound.

I'd recommend Shiki too, though it's quite different from Another. In the horror realm Another is on the mystery end of the spectrum, while Shiki is more like a tragedy - we pretty much know what's going on, but we're powerless to do anything but look on in horror as it unfolds.
Closed Thread