AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-08-12, 18:27   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Google misreports forum information

I got a rather strange result today using Google. I searched for the string "anime figurines thread" and got this result

Anime Figurines Thread - AnimeSuki Forum
20 posts - 12 authors - Last post: Oct 30, 2004
Any one of you guys collect anime figurines here ? Just talk about your collections or upcoming releases be it Gashapons,Trading Figures or ...
forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=22219 - Cached

Note the details about the thread; 20 posts, 12 authors, last from October 30, 2004. In reality, there are currently 2,770 postings and the most recent is from today.

If I were relying on these results from Google, I might well ignore a discussion that is six years old with only twenty postings.

Might I suggest you ask Google to reindex the forums site?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 18:56   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, looks to me like a case of "These aren't the droids you're looking for, move along." and that's intentional for under-the-radar reasons. Pure speculation on my part... I know that when I google certain things that AS forum posts frequently pop up even when I'm on other computers not logged in as myself.
Old 2010-08-12, 19:09   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't think that's the reason, Vexx. If I search Google for "seijisensei site:forums.animesuki.com" I get lots of results, some of which are less than five days old. I suspect it's some spidering glitch at Google that might be corrected by forcing a reindexing of the entire forum site.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-13, 02:06   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It is likely not a glitch. That page likely died for a while.
Old 2010-08-16, 04:41   Link #5
Kudryavka

I think that Google sometimes just gets the stats from the first page of the thread, hence why it says there are only a handful of posts and the last was six years ago. The only times I've seen Google get accurate thread stats was when the thread was nice and short, only a page long, not at 2000 replies like our thread, and when Google redirects you to a pictureless page instead of an actual forum page.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 05:59   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I think that Google sometimes just gets the stats from the first page of the thread, hence why it says there are only a handful of posts and the last was six years ago.
I think we can thank the wonderful archive for that.
Old 2010-08-23, 01:43   Link #7
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

felix, the archived pages have the archive part in the url. Thats not the case with the url SeijiSensei found.

Its indeed somewhat of a mysterious case, because a search with:

anime figurines site:forums.animesuki.com

clearly shows that it frequently finds higher page numbers in that same thread. Then again these page's search query in the forums starts with p= (for page) and not t= (for thread). Maybe the google spider tollerates a certain amount of differences before it updates a page in the google database? (thats just a mere guess). If this was based on percentage, then the updating of the thread stats would depend of the length/amount of content in the first page (much content => stats are a too tiny fraction).

Tags
google, search, search engine