AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-10, 00:33   Link #1
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Nostalgic anime

First off, no, I do not mean 80's series or their parodies.

I found that I really like animes with settings and plots based around nostalgia, such as heartwarming stories about school/college and/or childhood innocence. It's best, of course, that this not always be the main focus.

Anime series and movies I have seen that follow this category are:
- 5 Centimeters per Second / Byosoku 5 Centimeter
- Denno Coil
- Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight
- Honey and Clover (+ II)
- Ichigo Mashimaro
- Rozen Maiden

Of course, when you exhibit nostalgia towards childhood please do not include graphic bloody violence, like Gunslinger Girl did. Unless you actually lived that way back then.

Thank you all!
Old 2009-01-10, 00:40   Link #2
jedinat

Whisper of the Heart
Twin Spica
Old 2009-01-10, 03:31   Link #3
signorRossi

Omohide Poroporo (Only Yesterday)
Umi Ga Kikoeru (Ocean Waves)
Tokyo Godfathers in a broader sense (since you liked also Denno Coil)

SignorRossi.
Old 2009-01-10, 06:58   Link #4
MuraKami
Phase Angle

Hanada Shounen-shi
Mama is a 4-th Grader
Kekkaishi
Highschool Girls
Haibane Renmei
Old 2009-01-10, 07:25   Link #5
blewin

Mushishi - things lost, things found.

Zegapain - a home that is not a home.

Last Exile - memories and innocence of a dream.

Persona trinity soul - childhood and memories.

Genshiken - new life and moving on.

Nodame Cantabile - similar to H&C, touches on a lot of young adult issues.

Scrapped Princess - nostalgic of the past peaceful life.

Last edited by blewin; 2009-01-10 at 07:41.
Old 2009-01-10, 13:09   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I found that I really like animes with settings and plots based around nostalgia, such as heartwarming stories about school/college and/or childhood innocence. It's best, of course, that this not always be the main focus.

Natsume Yuujinchou

I could go to great lengths to explain why this series fits your requirements to a T, but I'll let its ED persuade you instead:

Old 2009-01-10, 14:16   Link #7
zareba

Paradise Kiss

This and Honey & Clover have an artsy, cool feel. In Paradise Kiss that's due the fashion background and avant-guard attitude, in Honey & Clover it's the arts college, the design offices environment. Leaving the parents home to live alone, trying to discover your own talent and what you want from life, what you're capable to do, learning what personal independence means and how do deal with your own feels, how to deal with love. It's no wonder both shows are from Fuji Television's late-night anime time slot "Noitamina", with Paradise Kiss airing right after the and of Honey & Clover, trying to please the same public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Kiss

Lain

This and Denno Coli take a look at the future of computing and interacting with the worldwide web, while effortlessly pointing out that there is an incredible power to be had with technology. These anime show us how the internet (or some derivitave of it) will evolve to become part of our everyday environment, and at the same time will demonstrate what kind of problems this path might give to mankind.
If you're the type of person who wants to maintain a different personality, how would you incorporate that behavior into an internet that reaches into real life? Should doing something in real life have consequences online, or vice versa? At what point does the imaginary become truly real? All of these things are examined and several ideas are presented to the audience in a way that is entertaining, subtle and informative even to those not knowledgeable on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lain
Old 2009-01-10, 14:21   Link #8
LeoXiao
思想工作

There are some good Miyazaki films that deal with nostalgia, and i think some have been already listed. You can go to Wikipedia to see what he has made.
Old 2009-01-10, 17:20   Link #9
GreatTeacherKen

Speaking of Miyazaki, I'd recommend My Neighbor Totoro as I feel it captures well the sense of wonder and innocence children have.

Only Yesterday, which is from Studio Ghibli but not by Miyazaki, also explores nostalgic themes but more from the perspective of an adult woman. Nevertheless, the flash backs to the main character's childhood are very well done and I personally find them more enjoyable than the scenes set in the present.
Old 2009-01-10, 18:47   Link #10
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Very interesting. I now have a few more on the list. Thank you everyone!
Old 2009-01-10, 23:31   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll add Bartender to the list. Most of the episodes involve nostalgia for lost loves, faded dreams, or past events.

I'll also suggest both Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch as very nostalgic views of high school. I also think there's a lot of nostalgia in School Rumble in its portrayal of hesitant adolescent steps toward relationships.

Here are a couple of other, less likely candidates.

The science-fiction drama Noein shares a lot of the childhood wonder that infuses Dennou Coil.

In amongst the ecchi, slapstick and parody of the Gainax comedy Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade is a lovely little story about a romance at the start of the postwar era.

You also might enjoy Asatte no Houkou, a slice-of-life story based on a supernatural event.

Finally I'll suggest the recent Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora about a teen-aged girl from a rural background who attends a school in Tokyo that trains mages. You might also like its predecessor, the licensed Someday's Dreamers, but you need not watch it to enjoy Sora.
Old 2009-01-11, 05:28   Link #12
Exar Kun
The Abyssal Sith Lord

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. You can also try Kanon 2006.
Closed Thread