AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-01, 09:36   Link #1
Ryuuen

Send a message via MSN to Ryuuen
Anime for JP learners..

Hi everyone,
I'm learning Japanese right now and I'd like to use watching anime through the process, short simple anime such as Chibi Maruko chan and Sazae-san would be helpful

so do you have any similar recommendations ?
Old 2009-05-02, 14:10   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I've heard people say the first few Lucky Star episodes were useful because of the extensive discussion of food.
Old 2009-05-05, 13:58   Link #3
james0246

Actually, Shounen series are probably the best bet if you want simplistic and easy to understand Japanese for moderate-beginers (this is not to say that other styles such as Shoujo, Seinen, etc are necessarily harder to grasp (from a language perspective), I just have always found Shounen series to have a certain simplistic nature to them that is easier to understand). The dialogue is usually fairly slow and almost "monosyllabic" at times, with generally easy to understand and fairly straightforward grammer. Try to steer away from Comedy shows, though, because the constant use of puns and play-on-words can be a bit daunting if you do not know understand the multiple defintions of words or how specific Kanji can be sued differently, etc.
Old 2009-05-05, 22:39   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I've found that my Japanese gets better when I watch really stupid shows because they all have the same dialog. Of course, this also leads to a more otaku-centric vocabulary. I suggest any ecchi-comedy shows.
Old 2009-05-06, 00:47   Link #5
holyalexander
holy alexander

i watched anime with translation while they telling japanese term.. like naruto or bleach..
Old 2009-05-06, 01:22   Link #6
Exar Kun
The Abyssal Sith Lord

My friend's japanese teacher recommended him Mushishi as a good anime to learn japanese. Not really sure why exactly.
Old 2009-05-06, 04:08   Link #7
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Actually, Shounen series are probably the best bet if you want simplistic and easy to understand Japanese for moderate-beginers (this is not to say that other styles such as Shoujo, Seinen, etc are necessarily harder to grasp (from a language perspective), I just have always found Shounen series to have a certain simplistic nature to them that is easier to understand). The dialogue is usually fairly slow and almost "monosyllabic" at times, with generally easy to understand and fairly straightforward grammer. Try to steer away from Comedy shows, though, because the constant use of puns and play-on-words can be a bit daunting if you do not know understand the multiple defintions of words or how specific Kanji can be sued differently, etc.
*shakes her head slowly*
At least since I'm female, I kinda came out falling in love with all the male, slang forms of japanese since I'm a shounen fangirl thus adding grey hairs to my Japanese teacher who was trying to teach me proper, feminine Japanese as a beginner
(The amount of times I wished I was male who was learning Japanese. It really isn't fair that guys get all the cool sounds and phrases you know.) xD

Be very very careful with shounen (or most fluff anime)
You can use it to increase your vocabulary, but do not be so quick to spit out what you hear.

Anime like Chibi Maruko chan is good because its a slice of life, family anime with fairly normal lexicon of words.
So drama anime with a lexicon for daily usage or every day life series (like chii's sweet home, is it?)
The anime with the freaky-eyed cat, I heard is simple and I guess it'll have easy stuff.
Aishiteru baby has a 6 year old in there who uses very simple Japanese. Again, be careful not to follow the way she speaks, because it is that of a 6 year old, but the Japanese used by the adults isn't too difficult.

The best advice to be honest is to watch Japanese dramas for a real grasp of realistic use of the Japanese language in normal environments.
A lot of comedy dramas aren't too heavy in dialogue either, so you'll be able to kinda suss out what's going on.
Anime is good, but don't automatically use everything that you hear. Make sure to check the circumstances in which a phrase or sentence is used before using it on others, otherwise you may just end up in the:

"Teme! Anta wo zettai ni yurusanai! Buttobasu! Shine!"
... category xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-05-06, 07:56   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

What about a serious children's show like Kemono no Souja Erin that's showing on NHK's educational channel? If any Japanese speakers have watched this, is this a good candidate? It would be a solid, more dramatic alternative if the OP is looking for something a bit more meaty to watch.
Old 2009-05-06, 10:47   Link #9
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

I would recommend K-ON!

None of the cast possesses any sort of accent and the speech is of everyday variety which makes it easy to grasp, understand, and also usable if you actually need to speak it.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Old 2009-05-06, 22:13   Link #10
Poey
The Jelly Jam

Send a message via AIM to Poey Send a message via MSN to Poey
Azumanga Diaoh might be really good, I think. Very simple, and practical vocabulary.
Old 2009-05-07, 03:33   Link #11
zero1328
(1+3)*2=8

I've actually heard that watching anime to learn Japanese (as a beginner) is a terrible way to do it. Like Mystique said, it's actually better to watch J-dramas.

Specifically, something in the Josei (older women) demographic. There's some Josei anime out there, but there should be a larger selection of live-action stuff. The type of speech and vocabulary you'll see in Josei will more likely be ones used for normal conversations and day-to-day things. Things in Shounen and the like, will more likely contain exotic words or ways of speaking, as well as either more, or different jokes, puns and new and old culture, and it'll be more difficult to discern proper speech.

Honey and Clover is a good one, and I've heard that it's popular with all other demographics, too. It's originally a manga, but it's been adapted into an anime, a live action film, as well as a Japanese drama and Taiwanese one.
Closed Thread