AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-14, 14:40   Link #141
jalana
Editorizor of Fansubs

I think it's unfair to compare the series to the book so stringently. As a fan of the book, yes, I am disappointed that certain things were altered... however, GONZO never stated this would be a completely faithful adaptation. If GONZO were going to remain faithful to the book, I highly doubt they would have changed the story to a futuristic/sci-fi setting. It's extremely naive to expect a sci-fi Count of Monte Cristo to remain identical to the original novel.

If you want things to remain the same, read the novel. Otherwise, let the producers tell THEIR version of THEIR INTERPRETATION of the story. In the end, it's only a show.
Old 2004-10-14, 16:03   Link #142
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie
Gonzo should realise their writers DO NOT have the talent of the people who made the classics in the first place and stop changing so much.
I think it's important to keep in mind Gonzo probably doesn't feel like they're improving on the original work. They've merely made changes. I don't particularly think these changes are for the better, but at the same time, I'm looking at this show with a different mindset than I would the book.

Gankutsuou is clearly a work based on the original, not a straight telling of the original. There would be no need for the sci-fi angle if that was the case, as someone above me has mentioned. Getting all freaked out over deviations from the book is rather like me getting incredibly annoyed West Side Story isn't a carbon copy of Romeo and Juliet.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-10-14, 16:58   Link #143
ultrataro

Well, it's been so long since I read the book that i've forgotten everything about it, so just taking this show as it comes. So far I find it intriguing. The weird clothing patterns not moving with the charcter movement sometimes is unsettling. I'm sure it was a conscous decision on the animators part, but i can't say I really like it. I like the show enough to keep watching to see how it develops.
Old 2004-10-15, 02:09   Link #144
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

bleh, if they're going to change so many things, they might as well not call it an adaptation. In fact, they're better off not calling it Gankutsu O. They might as well call it the Gonzo of Monte Cristo and just say it's 'inspired' (in the way rabid yaoi fangirls are inspired by harry potter to write badly written harry potter yaoi fanfics) by Dumas's original work. It's very obvious when you name a show the Count of Monte Cristo, people are going in and expecting the Count of Monte Cristo.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-10-15, 03:07   Link #145
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
bleh, if they're going to change so many things, they might as well not call it an adaptation. In fact, they're better off not calling it Gankutsu O. They might as well call it the Gonzo of Monte Cristo and just say it's 'inspired' (in the way rabid yaoi fangirls are inspired by harry potter to write badly written harry potter yaoi fanfics) by Dumas's original work. It's very obvious when you name a show the Count of Monte Cristo, people are going in and expecting the Count of Monte Cristo.
to be fair to GONZO, it's not the first time someone try to write an adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo and name it Gankutsuou in Japan. around 1868, there was this writer named Kuroiwa Ruikou who did the first Japanese adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo called Gankutsuou which supposedly became very famous and was the first "Gankutsuou" and one of the first novels that started the whole Japanese detective story genre. Personally I have not read this "first" Gankutsuou, but since it's supposed to be a detective story, I don't know how well it sticks to Dumas' original work, closely or not.

About the plot development in ep2, well, I'm not sure, but as I mentioned that I hope GONZO's Gankutsuou can become something like Rhapsody of Zephyr, I guess I should be happy about it. Rhapsody of Zephyr is a fantastic Korean PC RPG which is very popular in Asia, I heard it's the most popular Asian PC game, and it has been translated to Japanese and I think it sold very well in Japan too. It also displays "Alexandre Dumas Count of Monte Cristo" as Original Work. Actually I kinda wonder whether GONZO's Gankutsuou is in some way inspired by Rhapsody of Zephyr, as in that game it's also in a pseudo-medieval-futuristic setting, with mechs and things...

So I guess we shouldn't really complain if GONZO's Gankutsuou deviates from Dumas work, or that it is named "Gankutsuou", as although Dumas original work is also called Gankutsuou in Japnese, there is also this "famous detective story" called Gankutsuou... but then I guess we need some people who has read this Kuroiwa Ruikou's Gankutsuou to tell us how closely it adheres to Dumas work...
Old 2004-10-15, 03:20   Link #146
jalana
Editorizor of Fansubs

Quote:
adaptation

n 1: a written work (as a novel) that has been recast in a new form; "the play is an adaptation of a short novel"

Source: WordNet @ www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn
Quote:
adˇapˇtaˇtion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dp-tshn)
n.

1. a) The act or process of adapting.
b) The state of being adapted.

2. a) Something, such as a device or mechanism, that is changed or changes so as to become suitable to a new or special application or situation.
b) A composition that has been recast into a new form: The play is an adaptation of a short novel.

Source: The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
I'm sorry, no where did I come across a meaning for adaptation that meant "telling the same story over again with no changes." Perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

If you're making this big of a fuss over an anime series, then I'd hate to watch movies such as Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, or any other book-to-movie adaptation with you. Heaven forbid they change something!

And I'll state once again... if you're that enamoured of the original story and refuse to accept any deviations, stick with the novel. Heck, go to the source and read it in its original French! Who knows what those shifty English translators might have changed!
Old 2004-10-15, 04:23   Link #147
Retsoor

Quote:
And I'll state once again... if you're that enamoured of the original story and refuse to accept any deviations, stick with the novel.
True enough. The book is the book, and the anime is the anime. But it's not just complaining about the changes, it's complaining because the changes suck so bad. That may be because I'm constantly comparing the two medias of course, but can't help it.
Old 2004-10-15, 04:35   Link #148
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

The problem would be that the adaptations that Gonzo have done take away quite a bit from the story and characterisations of the characters. Heaven forbid that we actually see some decent characters in Gonzo's newer works instead of just being deluged with mecha and more fighting.

Old 2004-10-15, 13:57   Link #149
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

You guys have made your opinion clear. If you don't like the anime, just stop watching it and let the people who like the anime enjoy it in peace. (Translation: Stop trolling on this thread)
Old 2004-10-15, 14:22   Link #150
Retsoor

Quote:
You guys have made your opinion clear. If you don't like the anime, just stop watching it and let the people who like the anime enjoy it in peace. (Translation: Stop trolling on this thread)
Thank you for your illustrious opinion. I'm sure we're enlightened now.
If you want to enjoy your anime in peace, be sure not to visit the Internet, read any blurps or discuss it with anyone, that'll do the trick compared to accusing people with personal definitions of trolling.
Old 2004-10-15, 16:29   Link #151
Albert

Episode 2 for DeathSquad!
Old 2004-10-15, 22:20   Link #152
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2-FumoGuu
Do you seriously realise WTH trolling is? If you did, you'll also realise we're not trolling. We may not like the anime, but we have VALID reasons for doing so. We're not coming in here to just go 'Gankutsu O suxx0r, dbz roxx0r it's socks'

Spoiler:

Old 2004-10-16, 00:41   Link #153
fierysky

I actually liked the second episode. I'm anxious to see how Gonzo is going to do. I personally look at the anime as another peice of work, therefore I don't really get fired up with all the changes the've made. This doesn't mean I see the novel and the anime as completely different work, I just don't make comparisions and view the anime on its own.

Quote:
... WTF was up with the 2nd episode?!!? All I can say is Gonzo fucked up yet another classic -_-

Spoiler:

Gonzo should realise their writers DO NOT have the talent of the people who made the classics in the first place and stop changing so much.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-16, 03:08   Link #154
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Hi Everyone,

Here is a list of the character names that are currently listed on GONZO's site with some explanations regarding how some of the names deviate from the original novel, as well as a translated/transliterated version of the Character Relationship Map (please read the note).

Thank you,

Runpsicat
Old 2004-10-16, 14:03   Link #155
b-a-k-a

Thumbs up

although i'm not familiar with the book, i enjoyed the first episode a lot. after getting used to the special art style, i somehow think i wouldn't appreciate this show as much without it.
Old 2004-10-16, 19:28   Link #156
domino
デレデレ

I thought episode 2 was cool. *_* The count has an awesome style, and the blonde guy (the names escape me at the moment, and I'm too lazy to look it up) is really likable. I haven't read the novel, but I'm kind of glad I haven't. I have no complaints for "missing scenes" that way. :P Though I think this anime will inspire me to read the novel...

But the strangest thing in episode 2 for me...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-16, 21:21   Link #157
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

I've been looking forward to this series for a while. I just watched the first episode, and it was gorgeous. The comments about the second episode have me a bit worried though. Let me just say, Wait and Hope. =P

Okay, so it's an adaptation. You can't expect them to stay completely true to the original. It's very hard to do. Dumas's works are full of twisted intrigue, like The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask. The Count of Monte Cristo is no exception.

In the novel Dumas reaches incredible heights of intensity and complexity. The complexity is especially difficult to tranfer to a television series, with so many sprawling subplots. I have a feeling that the whole Monsieur Morrel thing will get cut out/down, keeping the focus on Albert. After all, the novel ends
Spoiler:

So I'll reserve judgement on the plot until more is revealed. They definitely could've left out the mecha though.
Old 2004-10-16, 21:33   Link #158
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Wink

You can't completely expect them to stick with the story, after all, I have a feeling that this show will focus on Albert more then the count himself. But, we'll all have to wait and see.

Did anyone notice the book that Luigi Vampa of Luna was reading in the second episode?
"commentarii de bello gallico", a book written in latin called "The Commentaries of the Gallic wars". Caesor's 3rd person depiction of how the romans defeated the Gauls, later to become the French. I found this a little interesting, especially when he used a dagger as a bookmark. A book of war with a dagger at hand?

Spoiler:

Two more things
Spoiler:

Last edited by Ombrenuit; 2004-10-16 at 21:54.
Old 2004-10-16, 23:10   Link #159
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Spoiler:

Old 2004-10-17, 13:21   Link #160
AS!

The moment I saw this anime, I got very very interested in it. And I immediately did some background research. I really love the style and the fact it's 'based' on the story of Alexandre Dumas. I haven't read the novel, but I plan to do this very soon ^__^.

I can understand people who read the book and liked it are feeling kinda pissed about the changes GONZO made to the story. But after seeing 2 eps, the story is still kinda likeable. Also for people who haven't read the novel... right?

Also liked the opening and ending song by Jean Jacques Burnel.

I'm very curious on how the story will evolve. I read something about mecha battles... haaa, just gonna wait patiently with an open mind ^__-;;

Gankutsuou looked very interesting to me, so before I'm going to shoot it down because of changes or wrong name translations... I'm going to watch a couple of eps > 'cuz it's still looks COOL !!!
Closed Thread