Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-11-19, 01:16   Link #621
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnedgirl03 View Post
*puts her hands up in the air*

i'm innocent. please! i am not guilty. i did it for "self defense"! i have the right to remain silent til i get me a lawyer
No harm done. Just don't do it again or we'll be forced to take disciplinary action.
Old 2010-11-19, 03:18   Link #622
gundamnedgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
No harm done. Just don't do it again or we'll be forced to take disciplinary action.
mission accepted. ahaha

wow epicness michaelknight! epicness. i think i found my lawyer.
gundamnedgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 13:03   Link #623
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Snuggles, has there been any new fan art?
Old 2010-11-19, 15:55   Link #624
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Wow, so this is what a forum explosion looks like? Sumisawa sure knows how to test the waters lol.

Honestly, I don't think there's any way he could please all the fans with FT, no matter what he wrote or how he wrote it. Simply because it's been so long. As people have already said, we had 15 years to make up something for everything we found lacking, be it Heero's unnatural body, Treize's obsession over honor in war, Quatre's space heart or what color Zechs' socks are. People here have repeatedly stated 'I always imagined/thought/believed etc', meaning everyone has certain opinions that have or have not been met by FT.

So what? Personally, I laugh at it simply because it doesn't fit my perception of GW. It doesn't make sense to me that Odin Lowe is Heero's biological father when in Ep. Zero he tells him to 'try to act more like his son, because he's breaching the contract.' It doesn't make sense to me that everyone perceives the Cinq Kingdom as a noble nation to look up to in the series when in FT it only took a pacifistic stance because its army couldn't compete with other nations (this one really bugs me).

And there's a lot more I don't like. Mostly horrible fanfic clichés that seem to have wormed their way up into Sumisawa's head. But there is also stuff I do like. And herein lies my problem. I'd be quite a hypocrite if I picked only a few things to consider 'canon' (horrible word) but ignored the rest. That's why I'll put it this way:

I'm interested to see what one of the creators imagines the backstory to be.

And I most definitely wanna know what might be up with Middie Une. I always felt she was supposed to appear in the series. Out of all the characters introduced in Episode Zero she was the only one to not die and not appear again later. The whole spy thing with Trowa later infiltrating anything with fancy uniforms left me kinda hanging. C'mon Sumisawa, throw me a bone here.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 16:07   Link #625
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
There's a reason why the Seed and Destiny compilation movies were better received than the series. Fortunately, for Wing, the discipline for edits is there. Tighter ships FTW.
Seed was never really the problem. Destiny was. The compilation movies didn't really fix anything. The characters were still terrible, the final battle was still extremely one sided and Shinn was still stripped of his character.

What are the complaints with Frozen Teardrops. So far for me it is very good. The only problem I have is that it is a little slow due to being monthly.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 18:47   Link #626
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
So what? Personally, I laugh at it simply because it doesn't fit my perception of GW.
Same here. And not only does it "not simply fit" but for me the "add-ons" he's been putting are too far off.
MichaelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 01:30   Link #627
Long Live

Gundam Wing must be one hell of an anime for you guys to be so intense like this. I haven't seen it yet but all this reading made me so intrigued and interested. I've seen Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam 00 (but not Season 2). GS was bearable but GSD was just... gay. But I find it strange, GS and GSD were so popular in Japan but the west didn't seem to like them. Yet GW that only had modest success in its home country is this big in the US/Canada? Doesn't make sense. Then again, what could be awesome for one country could be crap in another and vice versa. Yeah.

Anyway, anyone nice enough to give me a quick briefing on GW? I'm really interested now. But I just want to have a little background on it from fans before I get involved with it. Asking ppl in YouTube is just suicide.
Long Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 02:00   Link #628
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Live View Post
Gundam Wing must be one hell of an anime for you guys to be so intense like this. I haven't seen it yet but all this reading made me so intrigued and interested. I've seen Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam 00 (but not Season 2). GS was bearable but GSD was just... gay. But I find it strange, GS and GSD were so popular in Japan but the west didn't seem to like them. Yet GW that only had modest success in its home country is this big in the US/Canada? Doesn't make sense. Then again, what could be awesome for one country could be crap in another and vice versa. Yeah.
You basically hit the nail on the head. Gundam Wing is popular in the US/Canada like Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny are popular in Japan, and I believe G Gundam and Gundam 00 are more popular over here as well (though I could be wrong). The reason it's getting this kind of response is because a lot of us got introduced to anime as a genre with Gundam Wing; I guess you could call it our gateway series.

Quote:
Anyway, anyone nice enough to give me a quick briefing on GW? I'm really interested now. But I just want to have a little background on it from fans before I get involved with it. Asking ppl in YouTube is just suicide.
Yeah, avoid YouTube if you value your life. How to describe Gundam Wing? The official synopsis is this: In the year After Colony 195, the United Earth Sphere Alliance rules over the Earth Sphere (the Earth, Moon, and associated space colonies) with an iron fist, assassinating any individual who espouses beliefs that could potentially lead to the overthrow of the Alliance. Two such assassinations lead to rebellious elements within the Space Colonies deciding to fight back, sending five damn-near-invincible Gundams down to Earth to wreak havoc on the military forces there. Meanwhile, various factions within the Federation are vouching for control and each of the Gundam pilots has no idea the other four exist. And of course it all goes to hell at around episode 13.

Gundam Wing is basically what Gundam SEED isn't. It's focused more on international intrigue and the human element of war, and the consequences of removing that element, rather than the effects war has on personal relationships and people trying to live to the next day. It definitely is not the show to watch if you need/want a definitive bad guy to root against.

Last edited by Kuroi Hadou; 2010-11-20 at 16:40.
Kuroi Hadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 02:58   Link #629
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
I'm amused that English-speaking fans are throwing such a shitfit about all of the little tie-ups and new revelations with this novel. Japan sure doesn't seem to be complaining all that much
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 03:07   Link #630
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
I'm amused that English-speaking fans are throwing such a shitfit about all of the little tie-ups and new revelations with this novel. Japan sure doesn't seem to be complaining all that much
Well as mentioned, it wasn't anywhere near as popular in Japan as it was in North America. Besides, why should we care about how another portion of the fandom reacts?
Old 2010-11-20, 03:44   Link #631
Long Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
LOLs yeah that's what intrigued me so I ended up joining! If it were GS/GSD I think western fans wouldn't give a damn and just roll their eyes (although it'll probably receive more bashing). But because it's GW (the 'gateway'?) they're all getting hardcore. So it probably works the other way in Japan. They don't care much about GW. But if it were GS/GSD they would probably get hyped too. As for me I honestly don't see those two shows close to the word awesome. Although I haven't really seen GW yet so I can't say if it's better than GS/GSD. Most western fans I know think so though. Anyway, hearing it's anything that GS/GSD isn't, I guess that only means it's pretty cool.

Kuroi Hadou thanks for the quick rundown. What about the action part? I'm sick of pilots crying every 2 minutes during battles and do nothing else but show off their colorful and overpowered robots and scream the enemy's name.

Also, the technology? I liked the whole Trans-Am and GN particles stuff in 00.

And does it have a happy ending? Ok call me a loser for asking that. I'm old-fashioned. I like happy endings. Reasonable happy endings. Not forced happy endings. I don't want to invest too much "fondness" for it then end up regretting watching it because its ending sucked balls. And feel free to call me a lame anime fan for that...
Long Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 04:57   Link #632
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
Seed was never really the problem. Destiny was. The compilation movies didn't really fix anything. The characters were still terrible, the final battle was still extremely one sided and Shinn was still stripped of his character.

What are the complaints with Frozen Teardrops. So far for me it is very good. The only problem I have is that it is a little slow due to being monthly.
Agreed. But at least in the movies, you don't have to stare at replays of the same animations.
Old 2010-11-20, 06:38   Link #633
gundamnedgirl03

pls! enough about seed. discussing it here is uglifying this forum. gaahhh!!
Old 2010-11-20, 06:56   Link #634
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:

What about the action part? I'm sick of pilots crying every 2 minutes during battles and do nothing else but show off their colorful and overpowered robots and scream the enemy's name.

As far as I know, Heero never cried. I think Duo cried once? He had good reason though. Trowa had a sparkling stream of tears moment but it wasn't overplayed. Quatre has his breakdown but his reasons are super-valid. Wufei cries once as well, I think? Also, the ladies here are non-fanservice. If you're looking for tits and ass, go elsewhere. With the exception of Cathy, all the women keep their clothes on, and that's one of the things I love about it. Cathy's reason for being scantily clad is valid since she's a circus acrobat. Another thing I adore that the fandom has destroyed with all its bullcrap yaoi is that GW has ZERO love triangles. If you hated the soap opera love polygons in SEED, you'll like this. Shipping is a big deal in the fandom but it's not a major point in the series.

Quote:
And does it have a happy ending? Ok call me a loser for asking that. I'm old-fashioned. I like happy endings. Reasonable happy endings. Not forced happy endings. I don't want to invest too much "fondness" for it then end up regretting watching it because its ending sucked balls. And feel free to call me a lame anime fan for that...
If you stick to Endless Waltz, the ending is sorta happy. There are three versions of EW: OVA, Special Edition movie and manga. Personally, I prefer the manga one but I think the Special Edition movie is the most canon.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 07:11   Link #635
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

What's wrong with crying in war? War is not a picnic, mind you.
Old 2010-11-20, 07:30   Link #636
wingzerosnuggles

Crying is fine as long as it's done for good reason and not overplayed.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 07:59   Link #637
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
Well said. Too bad, Destiny did the "overplay" part.
Old 2010-11-20, 08:21   Link #638
gundamnedgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
ignore him, he likes seed/sd. yeah long live, the gundam pilots cried in wing. except heero. he sheds tears for no one. although he did go crazy when he had this vision of relena dying. then he went on a killing spree. i dunno about that guy. he's nuts. but i love him. sorry. i couldn't help but butt in. ahahaha. but i'm obviously a fangirl so i had to suggest the series to you MY WAY. so where were we?? yeah the other 4 pilots cried. but trowa wasn't even aware he cried. quatre cried because his father died. i dunno why duo and wufei cried. i forgot. but they all cried beautifully!! it wasn't sickening at all. totally acceptable. and not every 2 minutes. only once or twice throughout all 49 episodes. now about screaming people's names. heero and the chick are the only ones who did this repeatedly. although relena was the one who'd scream. she's not a gundam pilot tho. and he's not even her enemy--at least she thought/hoped. heero would just whisper her name whenever he feels like making relena's fans squeal. happy ending?? i dunno which element of the series ur referring to but if it's the usual 'i had defeated the enemy and lived and he's the one who died and my friends also live' kinda happy ending. then yes. it does have a happy ending. and a very decent one.

Spoiler for read on if you want to know more but this is gonna spoil it for ya. then again you'd probably read wikipedia already.:

ok so it's long... i just love talking about wing!!
Old 2010-11-20, 08:31   Link #639
gundamnedgirl03

oh yeah i forgot. abt the technology... there's the zero system which i could say is the transam counterpart of 00 in wing. gundanium alloy (wing) = gn particles (00). no ridiculous bullshit acronyms here too
Old 2010-11-20, 10:39   Link #640
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Well as mentioned, it wasn't anywhere near as popular in Japan as it was in North America. Besides, why should we care about how another portion of the fandom reacts?
Probably cuz it's made for them and not for you
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing