AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-12-29, 13:34   Link #1661
Kitsoru
:3c

Didn't Quinze die in the Libra explosion with the other engineers (supposedly)? Though, I guess if it turns out any/some survived, it's quite possible...
Unless you mean, hearing of him in a flashback?
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 14:51   Link #1662
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Didn't Quinze die in the Libra explosion with the other engineers (supposedly)? Though, I guess if it turns out any/some survived, it's quite possible...
Unless you mean, hearing of him in a flashback?
Yeah, I meant in a flashback.
Old 2010-12-29, 16:58   Link #1663
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Phew, this science stuff was a bit wonky. I do have to fix some things, so please point out anything that sounds funny (this will undoubtedly be polished for the final release).

Quote:
A xerophilous algae was discovered in the sea of Jupiter's second moon Europa, allowing for a rapid terraformation of Mars to progress. More than two hundred Earth years ago, Mars was gradually becoming warm by a greenhouse effect of a simulated (artificial) atmosphere of chlorofluorohydrocarbons. However, there was still a lot of carbon dioxide, thus creatures were unable to breathe in the then current state. Even if the polar ice caps were melted slightly due to global warming, it would immediately be sucked up by the ground and the seas that started to form would return to deserts during the winter.

Lana Green, an After Colony space development researcher, was the first person to consider using the Europan algae on Mars. While "Europan algae" was a great discovery at the time scientifically, it was useless on a real-world level, thus a troublesome thing that caused harm in the global environment. Plankton that is commonly called "Jupiter moss" multiplied at an astounding speed when the "Europan algae" that was under the thick ice and ocean depths bathes in the sunlight. {what? I need to re-read this} When the Jupiter moss was made to propagate on Mars, global warming and afforestation {greening} accelerated at once.

The terraforming that was said to take hundreds of years was estimated to finish in mere decades. Nonetheless, for something that was never realized, the After Colony eras first forerunners had a “concern for environmental destruction on a planetary scale”.

And then, there was an accident.

One of the resource satellites transported one by one from the Earth Sphere deviated from its programmed orbit and came crashing down on the planet. Properly speaking, that object was the resource satellite known as “MO-VII”. The place where it fell was the Argyre Planitia in the southern hemisphere. Similarly, the Hellas Planitia also in the southern hemisphere also experienced the same ordeal when a large asteroid collided with the surface during the Late Heavy Bombardment period. There, another resource satellite fell forming a huge double crater.

The problem was that they say the algae seemed to have been mixed up with the ice inside the resource satellite. That was dissolved and exposed to the sunlight. There was an outbreak of Jupiter moss that multiplied rapidly.

No one knew what would become of Mars for a while. Those living on Mars due to paraterraforming didn't notice the slow environmental changes outside of their domes either. Sandstorms still blew violently over the lands, the scenery of the red ground and sky unchanging as always. It was noticed for the first time when the moss was multiplying in Mars' groundwater arteries and the average yearly temperature started to rise. And then in just a few short years, half of the Martian desert was filled with sea water. Argyre’s double crater filled with green water and became a massive lake or rather a sea.

Oxygen density rose at once. Air pressure also wasn’t that different from Earth anymore. Because of the Jupiter moss outbreak from the Argyre double crater, when the place became a sea, it became known as the "Lana Green Sea". In that spot a huge, artificial marine state was constructed, thus giving birth to the Lanagreen Republic (or Commonwealth).
Next up: Mobile suit talk!
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.

Last edited by Deacon Blues; 2010-12-29 at 17:23.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 17:18   Link #1664
Elo the Blue

I wonder if MO-VII is the same as the MO-II resource satellite we saw late in the series and EW.

This sentence bothered me a bit.

Quote:
While "Europan algae" was a great discovery at the time scientifically, it was useful on a real-life level but it was a troublesome thing that caused harm in the global environment.
I don't really understand how the phrase in bold fits with the sentence overall. Regardless, the in-dept info on how terraformation was achieved is nice.
Old 2010-12-29, 17:22   Link #1665
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post

This sentence bothered me a bit.
Whoopsie... that should be "good for nothing on a real-world level". My bad.

And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2010-12-29, 17:23   Link #1666
Kitsoru

Dammit, can't find a good "SCIENCE!!!" image macro. But that goes here. XD

Excited for the MS talk! Thanks, Deacon!
Old 2010-12-29, 17:31   Link #1667
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Whoopsie... that should be "good for nothing on a real-world level". My bad.
Makes sense now.

Looking forward to some MS talk too. You're the man Deacon.
Old 2010-12-29, 17:42   Link #1668
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

I think this is appropriate...

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.c...f_science1.jpg

Old 2010-12-29, 18:04   Link #1669
Kitsoru

That one works.
Old 2010-12-29, 18:44   Link #1670
Obsidiandagger
Preventer 2nd class

In response to Kitsoru's post. Would people actually age at a different rate on Mars then on Earth or would they age the same because they are all humans biologically? I don't know if gravity has an effect on or atmosphere for that matter (Dammit man I'm an actor not a physicist!). I was just curious if anyone knows anything about accelerated or decelerated aging scientifically and how it might apply. I'm curious.
Obsidiandagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 18:52   Link #1671
Kitsoru

Keeping in mind I am FAR from a Science major (lol art major) :

While I don't think people would *technically* age at a different rate, how the time is measured on the two different planets would certainly interfere with the idea of counting years passed and therefore "age"...

However, because Mars is stated to have gained a gravity like Earth's, it's hard to say, there, how much impact there could be on our biology because while I'm sure scientists these days could tell you what the effects could be in NORMAL Martian conditions, this Europan algae clearly changed the conditions on Mars to the point that it may be impossible to guess. But I do think that the difference in orbits and night and day cycles (along with water quality/minerals and air quality, etc) would have to have an impact on one's biology. I don't see how it's possible not to, the cycle of night and day and the minerals we ingest, for example, are very important to our biology.
Old 2010-12-29, 18:57   Link #1672
wingzerosnuggles

@obsidiandagger
Gawd, I knew I should have paid more attention in that Biology of Science Fiction class. I know what you mean about the physics. Planetary rotation, right? And the theory of relativity? There's this whole thing about how time's slower for you if you're traveling at the speed of light. I have no idea if Mars rotates faster than Earth though or if it has any impact. I do know that Star Trek: Voyager explored that concept in the episode "Blink of an Eye."

Quote:
The planet rotates 58 times per minute. The reason time passes faster on the planet than everywhere else is because of a differential in space-time.
One day on the planet is slightly more than one second long (1.03 seconds) in normal time, so three years on the planet would only be 18.9 minutes in normal time. This would mean that 100 years on the planet would pass every 10.45 hours. Since Voyager seems to have been in orbit for centuries of planetary time it is likely that the episode takes place over a few days of time for the crew.
I doubt Sumisawa has the balls to pull something like that off. It involves a lot of math.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 19:16   Link #1673
Kitsoru

I think Sumisawa mentioned it already- Mars has a longer rotational path around the sun than the Earth does, because it's farther from the Sun. So 1 Mars year = 2 Earth years.

As far as planetary rotations (days), that I'm not sure about.
Old 2010-12-29, 20:17   Link #1674
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

In regards for aging differently, I'm going to say "probably not". Our circadian rhythm--our sleep/wake cycles--are set by our DNA, not the actual length of days and nights. While sunlight and what not modifies this, there's also a natural timing that operates independently of this. NASA conducted a study back in the 90s for a feasible Mars mission where people who were locked up in a room lapsed into 25-hour "day" cycles on their own. DNA also determines exactly when cells go into senescence, that is when they grow old and stop multiplying as well as when they undergo apoptosis, or commit jisatsu and jibaku (lol suicide and self-destruct).

But, if you were born on that planet you are probably more than likely to adapt to that way of living... if not just alter DNA to suit that lifestyle I guess.

Old 2010-12-29, 20:33   Link #1675
Elo the Blue

Class is truly in session now...
Old 2010-12-29, 21:24   Link #1676
Kitsoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
In regards for aging differently, I'm going to say "probably not". Our circadian rhythm--our sleep/wake cycles--are set by our DNA, not the actual length of days and nights. While sunlight and what not modifies this, there's also a natural timing that operates independently of this. NASA conducted a study back in the 90s for a feasible Mars mission where people who were locked up in a room lapsed into 25-hour "day" cycles on their own. DNA also determines exactly when cells go into senescence, that is when they grow old and stop multiplying as well as when they undergo apoptosis, or commit jisatsu and jibaku (lol suicide and self-destruct).

But, if you were born on that planet you are probably more than likely to adapt to that way of living... if not just alter DNA to suit that lifestyle I guess.
Very interesting! Thanks for the info, I'd never known about that NASA study

(Seriously- Science, in my scifi animu!? XD)
Old 2010-12-29, 21:55   Link #1677
wingzerosnuggles

OMFG, Relena is at #7 from #20 last month. xD And that's BEFORE it was revealed that she was a Char. Thanks for letting me bug you on IM, peacecraft.
Old 2010-12-29, 22:18   Link #1678
A-Crux
Áλφα-Crux///Alpha-Crux

interesting information indeed...I'm glad to read about Mars Terraformation process in FT (I was wondering when that info would appear...)
Spoiler for more science:

I'll be waiting for more info, especially "MS talk"
A-Crux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 22:50   Link #1679
wingzerosnuggles

Oh Pixiv, you make me LOL:

Spoiler for waste of space and dad:
Old 2010-12-29, 23:29   Link #1680
Kitsoru

Moést family evar. <3