Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Then I'll change all mentions I made to I.U
Old 2011-06-10, 13:31   Link #1302
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post
I would say use the first one. "Would you like fries with that?" I used that term before in real life to intentionally aggravate people.

Spoiler for Volume 7, chapter 1:

We could use a better term for "throughout" like 'all the time' or 'everywhere' or 'from beginning to end'. Which one of those following terms make more sense in context of what Kinji is saying.

@Cosmic Eagle Did you pm Hikari?She's currently translating chapter 2 as we speak. If not then I can ask Teh_ping to create a new page for you or ask how to create one.
I am doing 4. She's doing 2 and I believe, 3. Anyone who knows how to make the page can do so.
Old 2011-06-10, 13:48   Link #1303
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I'll do it. This's been my schedule:

24 minutes: 1 episode/few manga chapters
30 minutes: translating
6 minutes: Checking forums.

So, I'll be checking back every hour or so.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 13:54   Link #1304
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Ok...I'll continue tomorrow morning
Old 2011-06-10, 14:25   Link #1305
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

It is nice to finally get up to speed.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 16:19   Link #1306
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

He realized it's a mistake, and continued down that path, even coming up with a self justification that he's doing this for her own good. If it was mere impulse in the heat of the moment, why did he need to come up with that excuse? And he certainly didn't seem remorseful at all.

I'm coming down on Kinji hard because while Reki may have started it, while Aria have got to this on her own; Kinji was the one who kicked the whole house of cards crashing down. He stood at the pinnacle and was given the chance the turn this around- And he blew it because he couldn't control himself?

This isn't the first time; Every time the two of them gets into a heated argument, Kinji either lashes out back at Aria, hitting her soft spot like her trust issues, their partnership and I think even her mother, or he continues to hide his secrets, be it the HSS or Kana.

But you know what really ticks me off? In the end they would somehow make up and it's all fine till the next volume. Now why does this bother me even more than the previous ones? Because of that thing that happened in the Vostok- It was nice, it was sweet, it was almost an end-gamer, and it meant nothing. Their relationship doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. All that business with EU, Patra and Sherlock, all meaningless. Nothing has changed, Kinji is still the same, Aria is still the same.

In fact, this volume reminds me of Shiraiyuki's...

Meh, Reki's like the after thought, Kinji's the target of my distaste.

I've already mentioned how I'm annoyed that their relationship never improved, but another reason why I'm raging about Kinji's action in this volume is that he never saw himself as part of the problem to blame, that means no regret- Sure he realized it's a mistake, but he certainly isn't beating himself up about it. And worse still is him trying to justify what he had said to Aria was for her own good.
So it really does tick you off. It seems like more ranting now than a credible discussion.

Quote:
Flamebait? Oh nonono, I simply wanted to learn if I've been missing out on something regarding my analysis on Kinji and Reki, it never hurts to learn
If your going to hate a character to that extent, then isn't this discussion really futile. Your even less likely to view objectively or other character's perspectives properly when your enraged/frustrated like that. Romance is like a sub plot to HnA, it gives realism to the characters in a way.

Since when has Kinji ever been good at reading other girl's emotions? Has he ever been in a relationship before? Kinji has been avoiding girls as much as he could. Furthermore, Kinji and Aria are amateurs in the romance department. Aria easily becomes agitated when mentioning the word 'love' and other related stuff like 'kissing' and beyond that. Kinji wants to avoid any situation or places that can trigger his HSS mode at all times. That's his objectives: avoid girls, keep HSS a secret, leave Butei High as soon as possible.

Quote:
'Fault' as in she's the cause, the catalyst, the source, the origin, the beginning, the one who initiated this event.
I could easily direct these same words towards Aria. She's the source of Kinji's distress, if she weren't there Kinji could have obtained a peaceful life. She's practically been dominating his life with her orders, without listening to his protests. Resorting to aggression whenever in an argument with her partner. She does become a bit jealous when Kinji's with other girls.

Reki practically saved Kinji's life because he's an novice at dealing with snipers. Reki showed him the full extent of what a genius is capable of and how easily he could have lost his life to an attack like that. Without Reki's and Haimaki's timely interventions, Kinji would be at the mercy of Koko. That's the reality of the situation. Aria wouldn't be such a good match up against such an long range opponent with an army of genetically modified hunting dogs.

Kinji was regretful later at his outburst at Aria, but she was also in the wrong and so was Reki. When Kinji saw Aria while on a date with Reki, he felt apologetic. They later made up in volume 7.

Also, Aria went into a jealous frenzy similarly when Shirayuki and Kinji were caught in a misunderstanding during volume 2, and even when Riko (flirting) had Kinji pinned down in HSS mode during volume 3.

Even if Kinji explained the situation to Aria whe she asked him, there was no guarantee that she wouldn't attack him afterwards since Aria was already at her detonation point. But you could also say that Kinji kinda sided with Reki, realizing she actually acknowledges the normal Kinji that no one else does.

People do not change that easily, the darkness in Kinji's and Aria's heart will take time to resolve. Kinji has his reasons for behaving the way he does and so does Aria. Don't take HnA too personally, its a work of fiction in the end.

P.S. Your putting too much emphasis on Kinji's flaws, but disregarding Aria's too much.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2011-06-10 at 17:17.
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 17:15   Link #1307
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

The problem with Kinji to me is that he half-asses through his life. He keeps saying that he wants to be normal and he's going to quit the school, but he does nothing to further that. Sure, Aria and others drag him into stuff, but he could have stopped at many a time. He just uses that as an excuse so that he can protect himself from being disappointed or hurt. If he wants to quit, he should quit and be done with it.

Also he keeps moaning about this 'normal' life that he wants, when in actuality, aside from whatever hijinks he's into his life isn't that bad, really. Saying that he wants to have a normal life all the time is like saying he doesn't care about all the stuff and people that have happened to him so far.

Anyway, other than that, Kinji's pretty cool.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 19:39   Link #1308
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
The problem with Kinji to me is that he half-asses through his life. He keeps saying that he wants to be normal and he's going to quit the school, but he does nothing to further that. Sure, Aria and others drag him into stuff, but he could have stopped at many a time. He just uses that as an excuse so that he can protect himself from being disappointed or hurt. If he wants to quit, he should quit and be done with it.

Also he keeps moaning about this 'normal' life that he wants, when in actuality, aside from whatever hijinks he's into his life isn't that bad, really. Saying that he wants to have a normal life all the time is like saying he doesn't care about all the stuff and people that have happened to him so far.

Anyway, other than that, Kinji's pretty cool.
Actually, I think that makes him more normal honestly....I mean most people moan incessantly through life....At least in the end, he more than delivers his share of the bargain.
Old 2011-06-10, 20:04   Link #1309
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
So it really does tick you off. It seems like more ranting now than a credible discussion.
Partly because no one has yet truly answered some of the issue I've brought up- You kinda get like that when you have to type the same thing over again.

Quote:
If your going to hate a character to that extent, then isn't this discussion really futile. Your even less likely to view objectively or other character's perspectives properly when your enraged/frustrated like that. Romance is like a sub plot to HnA, it gives realism to the characters in a way.

Since when has Kinji ever been good at reading other girl's emotions? Has he ever been in a relationship before? Kinji has been avoiding girls as much as he could. Furthermore, Kinji and Aria are amateurs in the romance department. Aria easily becomes agitated when mentioning the word 'love' and other related stuff like 'kissing' and beyond that. Kinji wants to avoid any situation or places that can trigger his HSS mode at all times. That's his objectives: avoid girls, keep HSS a secret, leave Butei High as soon as possible.
Not exactly related at all; this isn't about Kinji not knowing what girls want- As I've said, Kinji is the one that kicked the house of card crashing down. And it's not the first time.

Quote:
I could easily direct these same words towards Aria. She's the source of Kinji's distress, if she weren't there Kinji could have obtained a peaceful life. She's practically been dominating his life with her orders, without listening to his protests. Resorting to aggression whenever in an argument with her partner. She does become a bit jealous when Kinji's with other girls.
Back in volume 1 this was a legit fault of Aria; however Kinji chose to be her partner remember? He had to chance to go back to a life without Aria, and he choose to go after Aria and hence set himself up for future misfortune. This ceases to become Aria's fault as Kinji had made the choice to bring Aria into his life despite knowing what kind of person she is.

I've been repeating this for quite some time now...

Quote:
Reki practically saved Kinji's life because he's an novice at dealing with snipers. Reki showed him the full extent of what a genius is capable of and how easily he could have lost his life to an attack like that. Without Reki's and Haimaki's timely interventions, Kinji would be at the mercy of Koko. That's the reality of the situation. Aria wouldn't be such a good match up against such an long range opponent with an army of genetically modified hunting dogs.
Right, okay, but that's not quite related to our topic at the moment because I've never doubt Reki's skill and usefulness.

Quote:
Kinji was regretful later at his outburst at Aria, but she was also in the wrong and so was Reki. When Kinji saw Aria while on a date with Reki, he felt apologetic. They later made up in volume 7.
They always make up... Until the next volume.

The question is, would this make up actually mean something to the both of them this time?

Quote:
Also, Aria went into a jealous frenzy similarly when Shirayuki and Kinji were caught in a misunderstanding during volume 2, and even when Riko (flirting) had Kinji pinned down in HSS mode during volume 3.

Even if Kinji explained the situation to Aria whe she asked him, there was no guarantee that she wouldn't attack him afterwards since Aria was already at her detonation point. But you could also say that Kinji kinda sided with Reki, realizing she actually acknowledges the normal Kinji that no one else does.
It's more accurate to say that Aria went into a jealous frenzy every volume... Or at least, she constantly catches Kinji with another girl every volume (though Kana is a guy)

Even if Kinji explained the situation to Aria whe she asked him, there was no guarantee that she wouldn't attack him afterwards since Aria was already at her detonation point... True, but it would put him in the clear and the blame would be on Aria.

Quote:
People do not change that easily, the darkness in Kinji's and Aria's heart will take time to resolve. Kinji has his reasons for behaving the way he does and so does Aria.
I was under the impression most of this business should have been settled by vol 5, but fine...

Quote:
P.S. Your putting too much emphasis on Kinji's flaws, but disregarding Aria's too much.
But I have you guys for that

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-06-10 at 20:15.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 21:16   Link #1310
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Partly because no one has yet truly answered some of the issue I've brought up- You kinda get like that when you have to type the same thing over again.

Not exactly related at all; this isn't about Kinji not knowing what girls want- As I've said, Kinji is the one that kicked the house of card crashing down. And it's not the first time.

They always make up... Until the next volume.

The question is, would this make up actually mean something to the both of them this time?

It's more accurate to say that Aria went into a jealous frenzy every volume... Or at least, she constantly catches Kinji with another girl every volume (though Kana is a guy)

Even if Kinji explained the situation to Aria whe she asked him, there was no guarantee that she wouldn't attack him afterwards since Aria was already at her detonation point... True, but it would put him in the clear and the blame would be on Aria.

But I have you guys for that
Well okay, but this discussion might work a bit better if you pulled out references too, sometimes its hard to tell exactly where your examples are from and what your basing it off of. Preferably some quotes from the light novel. Then we can start from there again, Kinji's half-assed attitude does make him more human like Cosmic Eagle said as that's how many students go about in their daily life in school in real life.

Quote:
Kinji is the one that kicked the house of card crashing down. And it's not the first time
Can you bring a citation for that too since your argument seems to be centered around that statement. Support your claims with evidence from the text.

Quote:
I was under the impression most of this business should have been settled by vol 5, but fine...
If everything was settled that soon, it wouldn't be fun. Btw volumes 1-4 and first two chapters of volume 5 were the prologues of HnA. The main plot or actual story begins afterwards.

Quote:
Back in volume 1 this was a legit fault of Aria; however Kinji chose to be her partner remember? He had to chance to go back to a life without Aria, and he choose to go after Aria and hence set himself up for future misfortune. This ceases to become Aria's fault as Kinji had made the choice to bring Aria into his life despite knowing what kind of person she is.

I've been repeating this for quite some time now...
It seemed more like a hurried decision made by Kinji since he had no choice with Aria forcefully moving in and following him. Although, Kinji did question himself why he couldn't refuse Aria's selfish requests. Kinji was more motivated to become her partner when he heard about Aria and Kanae-san's situation. The contract with Aria was only until the 'Butei killer' case was over and when Kanae-san is freed that was what he initially promised, but a little longer as her partner due to Sherlock Holmes and Kana's appearance. Kinji fulfilled his part of the deal.

This needs a citation too.

Quote:
Right, okay, but that's not quite related to our topic at the moment because I've never doubt Reki's skill and usefulness.
That response was directed at your "'Fault' as in she's the cause, the catalyst, the source, the origin, the beginning, the one who initiated this event. " statement that you directed at Mars Mode.
Old 2011-06-10, 21:21   Link #1311
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
It seemed more like a hurried decision made by Kinji since he had no choice with Aria forcefully moving in and following him. Although, Kinji did question himself why he couldn't refuse Aria's selfish requests. Kinji was more motivated to become her partner when he heard about Aria and Kanae-san's situation. The contract with Aria was only until the 'Butei killer' case was over and when Kanae-san is freed that was what he initially promised, but a little longer as her partner due to Sherlock Holmes and Kana's appearance. Kinji fulfilled his part of the deal.

This needs a citation too.
Didn't he choose to have Aria around when he chased after her when she was going back to London, and said that cool line about being her background music?

At the very least, he knew what he was getting into, had the chance to not be involved, and got involved anyway.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 21:26   Link #1312
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Didn't he choose to have Aria around when he chased after her when she was going back to London, and said that cool line about being her background music?

At the very least, he knew what he was getting into, had the chance to not be involved, and got involved anyway.
Since we have some conflicting views, we need a proper citation of that exact event to further the discussion. I'm scanning though HnA, looking for that scene as well as proof reading it.
Old 2011-06-10, 21:43   Link #1313
Glacierfairy

In a weird way, I see Kinji's half-assed attitude as an indicator that his character development is not final yet. Sure, he might have made lofty promises but that was him under the influence of Hysteria Mode. That he is painfully aware of the things he said under that mode meant that deep-down inside him, he agreed with his Hysteria mode self. But when he faced extreme situations in his normal self (like Reki's sniper restriction), his heart wavers and he snaps back at Aria even knowing that is not right of him.

In my opinion, if there ever is a time where he can declare his love or not be such a jerk outside his Hysteria Mode, it will signal the beginning of the end of the series. This method of portrayal may not be the most convincing one, but it surely explains why his attitude swings back and forth throughout each volume.
Glacierfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 21:58   Link #1314
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

That will likely be still someway off seeing that the setting expands with each volume...E.U's fragmenting just births new splinter cells and such.
Old 2011-06-10, 22:06   Link #1315
ZeKeR
Superbad

Still, I pity kinji at times tho... he had a history with girls who found out his secret and abused it, and while he was recovering, in came Aria who's dominating their partnership. i dont know why he chose to continue on this path that melds with the supernatural, but he unlocked Shirayuki, Riko and Reki along the way.

guess that certain guy's gigolo aura that attracted an ENTIRE ARMY of clones affected him, only 47 girls that are stoic got his back atm. both his and kinji's lives are liek a dating sim... unlock one... two more girls show up.

btw did Sherlock really die eventually? I mean he DID take a bullet that had HE equivalent to that of an RPG (WTF?!)
Old 2011-06-10, 23:01   Link #1316
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
Still, I pity kinji at times tho... he had a history with girls who found out his secret and abused it, and while he was recovering, in came Aria who's dominating their partnership. i dont know why he chose to continue on this path that melds with the supernatural, but he unlocked Shirayuki, Riko and Reki along the way.
Did we know whether his brother's incident happens before he attends the Butei high school? I think he only starts to hate the whole "ally of justice" after his brother dies for justice (from his perspective back there) yet everyone still blames him. So while he may got abused by girls due to his power in middle school(?), he still looks up to his brother and father, and continue the path of fighting for justice and enroll in Butei high school. Also, he already unlocked Shirayuki when he first took her out of her cage back then, so it doesnt matter what he does now

Quote:
guess that certain guy's gigolo aura that attracted an ENTIRE ARMY of clones affected him, only 47 girls that are stoic got his back atm. both his and kinji's lives are liek a dating sim... unlock one... two more girls show up.
I am hoping for when he has to go to Reki's homeland for some reasons, there will be much lol if the other 47 girls act to him like Reki , and perhaps there will be blood if shirayuki accompanies him Please the novel, make it happen!
Old 2011-06-10, 23:18   Link #1317
Glacierfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Did we know whether his brother's incident happens before he attends the Butei high school? I think he only starts to hate the whole "ally of justice" after his brother dies for justice (from his perspective back there) yet everyone still blames him. So while he may got abused by girls due to his power in middle school(?), he still looks up to his brother and father, and continue the path of fighting for justice and enroll in Butei high school. Also, he already unlocked Shirayuki when he first took her out of her cage back then, so it doesnt matter what he does now
His brother's incident occurred late during his first year, so yes, you are correct in that assertion.

Spoiler for Volume 1 Chapter 3:
Glacierfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 23:34   Link #1318
Shadow5YA

Quote:

btw did Sherlock really die eventually? I mean he DID take a bullet that had HE equivalent to that of an RPG (WTF?!)
"A history with girls who found out his secret and abused it?"

Like who? I was under the impression that very few understood his Hysteria Mode.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 23:53   Link #1319
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I've always figured it would end like this...

Spoiler for Silent_to_Small_Fire: Hidan no Aria version:

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-06-11 at 00:07.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 03:21   Link #1320
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I guess it just shows pity's a bad basis for a partnership. Especially when, in normal situations, the girl's attitude is horrible. (Seriously - 90% of the time, Aria doesn't accept him as a partner. Just a slave.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen