AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-12-15, 18:19   Link #1
mokomoko
horny mushroom

PLANT and its Resources

Don't you ever wonder where does PLANT get all their metal resources to build ships, MS's and colonies?

Do they get resources from earth? or do they harvest it from the moon or other space bound objects?

How the hell did they get so much materials to build vast armies of gigantic robots?

ahahhaha i know this is an anime....but its just something to ponder about....
mokomoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 18:23   Link #2
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Asteroid mining as well as imports from earth I would believe. They had two giant asteroid fortresses (Boaz and Jachin Due), materials were probably mined from them.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 19:18   Link #3
ryogax

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Asteroid mining as well as imports from earth I would believe. They had two giant asteroid fortresses (Boaz and Jachin Due), materials were probably mined from them.

asteroid mining...
ryogax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 19:27   Link #4
FlyByNite

Yea, one big asteroid can have hundreds of thousands of tons of ore in it that can be processed.

As for water, they can harvest it from comets I suppose and then recycle it to sustain themselves and the food would be hydroponic.

I'd like to see some of the Mars Colony though, The beginning of the Astray Destiny Manga says Lowe was going to Mars. I wonder what it's like.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 19:33   Link #5
ryogax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Yea, one big asteroid can have hundreds of thousands of tons of ore in it that can be processed.

As for water, they can harvest it from comets I suppose and then recycle it to sustain themselves and the food would be hydroponic.

I'd like to see some of the Mars Colony though, The beginning of the Astray Destiny Manga says Lowe was going to Mars. I wonder what it's like.

hmm..i never even heard that they have colonies on mars in the series..
are you sure about that.
Old 2004-12-15, 19:37   Link #6
FlyByNite

I don't think it's ever been said in the series, but it was definitely shown in the astray destiny manga that Lowe was going to Mars.

Spoiler:

George Glenn had been on a mission to Jupiter 50 or 60 years in the past so a Mars colony isn't too surprising.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 19:40   Link #7
ryogax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
I don't think it's ever been said in the series, but it was definitely shown in the astray destiny manga that Lowe was going to Mars.

Spoiler:

George Glenn had been on a mission to Jupiter 50 or 60 years in the past so a Mars colony isn't too surprising.
I guess that makes sense..
but they should really start showing other places in the series besides earth and plant.
Old 2004-12-15, 20:23   Link #8
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Yea there's many places in the SEED world that I'd like to see in the anime. Gundam fighting on Mars would be kickass. I'd also like to see Copernicus City on the moon, where Kira and Athrun's school was (where he gave Torii to Athrun).
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 08:32   Link #9
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Recycling all the destroyed Earth ships. Waste not, want not. The war is actually a clever economic ploy to prevent them from having to import materials from Earth.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 08:37   Link #10
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Recycling all the destroyed Earth ships. Waste not, want not. The war is actually a clever economic ploy to prevent them from having to import materials from Earth.
Oh those wacky Coordinators!
Old 2004-12-16, 09:09   Link #11
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Seriously. Just look at how much trouble it takes just to send things up into space using Mass Drivers. All that ebay shipping fee and tax...tsk tsk!
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 12:46   Link #12
Dark Crusader

I you watch carefully when they do the zoom in's on the plant colonies you can see asteroids attached to some of them.
Dark Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 20:05   Link #13
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I was just wondering - why don't the PLANTs take the oppurtunity to simply leave the neighbourhood of Earth? Let the stinking Blue Cosmos and the Naturals have their "Pure and Clean World".

And when they come to harass them on Mars, just blow them up using multiple GENESIS installations.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 23:43   Link #14
Knishman

Send a message via AIM to Knishman
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
I was just wondering - why don't the PLANTs take the oppurtunity to simply leave the neighbourhood of Earth? Let the stinking Blue Cosmos and the Naturals have their "Pure and Clean World".

And when they come to harass them on Mars, just blow them up using multiple GENESIS installations.
Not a bad Idea.

O and about earlier, one of the main causes of the war was because the Atlantic Federation didnt want to give Plants its independence.

Why is PLant want independence?
- At the time there was a lot of ethical complaints about Coordinators and the radical group BLue Cosmos kept attacking coodinators with no reprecussions from the earth. So Plant started a volunteer Army, ZAFT. Another thing was the how the earth did not let PLANT produce any food for itlsef. It had to trasported from earth at Astronomical prices. So after independence Plant converted 2 of the Colonies into Agricultural areas.

Where does plant get resources?
- Manufacturing in space is alot more productive because it requires less energy to operate in 0 Gravity. And the energy it does need comes from a 24 hour source of energy, THE SUN. Thats why manufacturing is so much cheaper on Plant.
Knishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 02:28   Link #15
EpyonEmerald

IN my believe, something has to be taken from earth, even earths outer core. Nasa is working on a machine that will be able to make water without actually landing on earth but rather by coming into the orbit. I saw an article on MSN about it,

The same guy who made GSD made Gundam Wing, and I know that they were planning on blowing earth out of the sky. And I qutoe the guy who was in charge of massive Moble Dolls (cant remember his name.) "Resources? Dont worry about resources, there are unlimited resources here in space."

Anyways I understand its a different story,but I assume the writer would write in the same kind of rule.
EpyonEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 08:29   Link #16
srb
I can see time itself!

I know for a fact that Fukuda did not work on Wing and the writers aren't the same either.
Old 2004-12-18, 12:49   Link #17
ma2ha3

so much resource in solar system

the asteriod belt full of materials, like iron , gold and copper
gas planets full of almost unlimited energy

cheaper to mine these in space
ma2ha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 10:29   Link #18
DarkMirage
ευαγγελιον
*Fansubber

They DO import some of things from Earth actually. Mostly raw materials and food. They export manufactured goods for payment.

In the original SEED (not sure about what happened after Junius-7 fell onto Earth), not all the countries on Earth belonged to Earth Alliance. The Oceania Union (which consists mainly of Australia and also went on to host the first terrestrial ZAFT base) and parts of (North I think) Africa supported PLANTs and traded with them. There are also neutral countries that dealed with both PLANTs and EA, including Orb, Kingdom of Scandinavia (where Lacus' father was born) and the Equatorial Union. (South-East Asian countries)

So PLANT had plenty of suppliers on Earth itself.

Of course they probably do mining too. Although I doubt Boaz and Jachin Due were still used for mining purposes. They used to be mining asteroids, but were taken over and modified into military bases by ZAFT during the skirmishes that occured earlier on in the war.
DarkMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 11:05   Link #19
SlugZilla
woofles

I really doubt they get a lot of their resources from asteroids, only less than a tenth of all asteroids are metallic in composition.
I think they get most of their stuff from Earth, the Moon and Mars in that order.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 17:39   Link #20
narako
Master of Broken Images

Send a message via MSN to narako
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu

Because then they would just be doing the same thing those newtypes that lived after Turn-A did,and we all know hordes of coordinators are no match for funnel wielding, nanomachine launching, I-Field Using, VSBR using hordes of trained newtypes in their gundams actually using gundanium (In SEED they never say Gundams use Gundanium)
narako is offline   Reply With Quote