AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-07-08, 14:24   Link #181
ZODDGUTS

Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna

This poster sums up Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna pretty well:

Spoiler for Rant incoming:

I thought this series was an attempt to flesh out a fairly shallow character, but she ended up being less interesting than she was in the initial episode. So the answer to ""How Fujiko Mine became Fujiko Mine" is that "No, she was always like this, lol. Forget the implied child rape/torture that was suggested all along."

The only thing I take from this is that I Fujiko herself is dull, and Goemon seems like a cool character, just woefully underused here. Everything that is good about standard Lupin (such as the group dynamic) was almost non-existent here. I can't remember a show where I've quite so actively disliked the protagonist either (Fujiko).

Mari Okada did it. She killed a Lupin series for me. It's even worse than the Pink Jacket series. Bravo Okada! Setting new a new (low) standard for the Lupin franchise.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 17:21   Link #182
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A few points on HSI, which are probably general enough as to not require spoiler space.

I agree with Haak that Ko isn't that bad. But he never really seemed "cool" to me.

That's actually the biggest problem I have with Okada's male characters, particularly in HSI. They almost never get to be cool, or have "moments of awesome", shall we say. Now if the entire cast was like that, if they were all a collection of "lovable losers", then that would be one thing. But that's not not the case in HSI, as a lot of the female characters in it come across as "cool" to me. In other words, they come across as some combination of accomplished, talented, strong, effective, smooth, etc...

Even Minko, for all her flaws, is a serious-minded popular beauty (that's how she's perceived in-universe, at least) who looks to have a good future as a cook ahead of her.
Well, at the very least, they needed some kind of defining moment that allows us to take them seriously. Moments of awesome would certainly help their case, but any enlightening moment would do wonders. It could just be some kind of small character development. Sure, people progress and regress all the time, but we'd love to think we're trying to move forward despite setbacks. Okada's males tended to go down and never come back up.

For example, the Nako focus episode with mermaids was an excellent way of catching an otherwise boring character in the spotlight and making them defined. For a bad example, that would be the minkoface episode immediately before. Even the banal Minko arc after accomplished something.

Quote:
I honestly loved Menma. That was great at both a comedy level, and at a character development level.

I have nothing against cross-dressing males in fiction. It's just that Okada goes to the well too often on that, imo. I mean, I wouldn't want Hulk Hogan-esque macho-men in every Okada-wrote anime show either, as much as I often like those sorts of characters (and Hulk Hogan himself).

It's fine for a writer to have certain character types and designs that they like, and go back to sometimes. But with Okada, it's reached the level of unintentional self-parody, I think.
Yea, Anohana was a good comedy. And yea, it was just well-defined. You really got the idea that he was sick in the head so that had purpose. Other times, Okada just does it because she can, and that is bad.

And why did you bring up Hulk Hogan? In the hands of Okada, only one thing could happen! Pro wrestling LOVES Okada-style antics and you may have some disturbing images in your head now.

EDIT: I feel that she tries to drive things home too much. Sometimes it makes it clear other times it's like
Spoiler:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-07-09 at 19:26.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 09:55   Link #183
Key Board
Carbon

I honestly don't understand why she gets attention

her only noteworthy work was Ano Hana

but I'm not even sure if the credit of Ano Hana's success goes to her

I can't even pin point what's so distinctive about her style, if there is anything distinctive about it to began with.

But I've noticed her name popping up more frequently lately. Maybe it's just happens that she is a hardworking person and thus, gets all the jobs?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 14:31   Link #184
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Hanasaku iroha, DTB 2, Aquarion Evol, the Lupin Fujiko anime, AKB4...something, Toradora, Houruo Musuko, Black Butler, BRS...no Anohana isn't the only thing. Of those works, I only really liked DTB 2 and Evol, and I think that's more the director's accomplishment.

What's distinctive about her writing? The melodrama. It doesn't go away.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 15:58   Link #185
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
Hanasaku iroha, DTB 2, Aquarion Evol, the Lupin Fujiko anime, AKB4...something, Toradora, Houruo Musuko, Black Butler, BRS...no Anohana isn't the only thing. Of those works, I only really liked DTB 2 and Evol, and I think that's more the director's accomplishment.

What's distinctive about her writing? The melodrama. It doesn't go away.
how many are her own original works? I am pretty sure she is only a script writer for most of these and not the original creator.
Old 2012-08-24, 18:12   Link #186
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
how many are her own original works? I am pretty sure she is only a script writer for most of these and not the original creator.
Well there's actually very few fully original Okada animes (Ano Hana is one),she generally plays around in someone elses universe

She didn't create the Lupin characters but her Lupin anime is an original story.
Same with Aquarion and AKB0048 where Kawamori created the universes but said in interviews he gave Okada a lot of freedom (especially on AKB0048)
She didn't create the Black Rock Shooter universe but the story is anime original.
For Hanasaku iroha PA Works is credited as the original creator but Okada supervised the scripts.
Canaan is set in the universe of a game (428) so she's not the original creator but the story itself is anime original.
True tears is supposed to be based on a visual novel but the anime itself has nothing in common with the VN itself and is original.
Black Butler season 2 is an anime original sequel that's different from the manga
Fractal.......well fractal is just a mess,I'll leave it at that.
Old 2012-08-24, 18:28   Link #187
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well there's actually very few fully original Okada animes (Ano Hana is one),she generally plays around in someone elses universe

She didn't create the Lupin characters but her Lupin anime is an original story.
Same with Aquarion and AKB0048 where Kawamori created the universes but said in interviews he gave Okada a lot of freedom (especially on AKB0048)
She didn't create the Black Rock Shooter universe but the story is anime original.
For Hanasaku iroha PA Works is credited as the original creator but Okada supervised the scripts.
Canaan is set in the universe of a game (428) so she's not the original creator but the story itself is anime original.
True tears is supposed to be based on a visual novel but the anime itself has nothing in common with the VN itself and is original.
Black Butler season 2 is an anime original sequel that's different from the manga
so why is there a 10 page thread on someone who is basically just a script writer?
Old 2012-08-24, 18:34   Link #188
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
so why is there a 10 page thread on someone who is basically just a script writer?
I'll just requote what I said in the OP

Quote:
To me there's 3 reasons why Okada is the talk of town over the past year:
1)She worked on a lot of shows over the past 18 months,when you work so much you're going to get noticed.
2)Not only is she working on a lot of shows but she's working on big name franchises (BRS,Lupin,kenshin,AKB48...) that all have an established fanbase which leads to more people paying attention to her
3)Even if they're part of an established franchise the animes themselves aren't straightforward adaptation,which leads to extra attention on the anime writer.
She also worked on 4 NoitaminA shows in one year (wandering son,ano hana,fractale and black rock shooter) and there's many people on this forum that follow noitamina so that probably contributed too.
Old 2012-08-24, 18:58   Link #189
Dawnstorm

Quote:
I don't even know where to start with this comment. Writers are very important to anime; even if it's a straightforward adaption. Many of Okada's works, though, contain original material: the story, even if not the setting or the characters, for example.

But even in a faithful adaption, you need judgement of what to keep, what to expand, what to explain, what to push in the background, etc.

Here are a few jobs:

- Original concept
- Original story
- Series composition (arrangment of story into episode)
- Script supervision (watching over script writers and seeing to it that the whole is consistent)
- Writing actual scripts

Different writers have different strengths. For example, when I heard that Okada was responsible for the writing in Hourou Musuko, I was pleased. And it turned out she did a good job. She did both series composition and scripts (so she needn't really supervise herself). I'm not familiar with the source material, but I like the result. Good pacing, just the right amount of drama. It's very good work. I don't know why this shouldn't count for anything, just because the story, setting, and characters already existed in another form.

But she doesn't only do adaptions. In Hanasaku Iroha, for example, the episodes she actually wrote herself are usually among the better ones (at least I think so). So, when the story drags a bit in the middle, whose fault is this? It's not very easy to tell. Maybe she's not very good a script supervision? Maybe it's a group effort (production committee discussion), but the chemistry is passable rather than perfect? I simply don't know. It's hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure that she's good at series composition and script writing. Unsure about script supervision (the least accessible to outsiders, I think). I think she comes up with interesting stories, but she doesn't get the most out of settings (e.g. underused setting is the one flaw of Otome Youkai Zakuro, though that might be the source material's fault). I also think setting is probably what made Black Rock Shooter fall flat for me; she didn't integrate setting with story well, and thus both was sort of stale for me.

It's difficult to know why you like one story and not another; it's not always the story itself, it's sometimes also the execution. I thought this was a rather interesting thread. I'm just too confused to contribute much.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 20:24   Link #190
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Isn't it basically because people want to feel like they're seeing behind the curtain, and want to have someone to blame for their feelings when they don't like something? (And, sometimes, to credit when they like it?)

I mean, consider the Lupin rant at the top of this page. It's not like the director, production committee, and all the rest of the sponsors involved just told the hired-gun scriptwriter "here's a franchise, go nuts, do whatever you want, and we'll animate whatever you write no questions asked". I have never worked in any business context that did this, nor ever been assigned that kind of contract no matter what creative endeavour it's for. Anime's no different in that regard; there are layers of bureaucracy, concept approval, script approvals, reviews and revisions, changes that happen between script and storyboarding, and on and on. So to turn around and lay all the blame entirely on the writer is presumptuous at best. It takes a lot more than one single person to "ruin" an entire show.

But anyway, we have this thread because we like to presume and overanalyse, and that's not necessarily a slam. It's fun to imagine what could possibly being going on behind the curtains; to try to figure out the secret sauce that gives anime its flavour. It's fun to speculate, and to try to put names/faces to what is otherwise an abstract creative process. But in the end, I don't think there's actually any anime production in existence where either all the credit or all the blame can be attributed to any one single player. Anime is far too complicated and takes far too many people to make it work. Mari Okada is just one part of the equation.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-24 at 20:35.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 22:17   Link #191
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Don't forget the gangland hit she put on Rurouni Kenshin.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 03:36   Link #192
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Isn't it basically because people want to feel like they're seeing behind the curtain, and want to have someone to blame for their feelings when they don't like something? (And, sometimes, to credit when they like it?)

I mean, consider the Lupin rant at the top of this page. It's not like the director, production committee, and all the rest of the sponsors involved just told the hired-gun scriptwriter "here's a franchise, go nuts, do whatever you want, and we'll animate whatever you write no questions asked". I have never worked in any business context that did this, nor ever been assigned that kind of contract no matter what creative endeavour it's for. Anime's no different in that regard; there are layers of bureaucracy, concept approval, script approvals, reviews and revisions, changes that happen between script and storyboarding, and on and on. So to turn around and lay all the blame entirely on the writer is presumptuous at best. It takes a lot more than one single person to "ruin" an entire show.

But anyway, we have this thread because we like to presume and overanalyse, and that's not necessarily a slam. It's fun to imagine what could possibly being going on behind the curtains; to try to figure out the secret sauce that gives anime its flavour. It's fun to speculate, and to try to put names/faces to what is otherwise an abstract creative process. But in the end, I don't think there's actually any anime production in existence where either all the credit or all the blame can be attributed to any one single player. Anime is far too complicated and takes far too many people to make it work. Mari Okada is just one part of the equation.
I feel people including myself do it for the same reason people place so much importance in studios (say, Kyoani) or a sports team. You'll notice people will watch sports and focus on say one player, like Kobe Bryant and the Lakers, though obviously the game's outcome is frequently more complex than simply one aspect's input.

It's kinda like projecting oneself into things one has great interest in (or projecting away in some cases ) It's also a human tendency to simplify things and draw associations, though sometimes this turns out erroneous.

Yes, a humorous fantasy is that Okada's some kind of insane dictator that scares staff members into submission. Reality is of course more likely much mundane, but that isn't as amusing to imagine is it?

Besides, the next time some male character appears in a dress and her name is attached , one could draw a reference. Incidentally, quite a few of our words are named after people who they are associated with. It's unlikely we're going to add Okada to the dictionary any time soon, but it could generate a "meme" here and there.

But like I've said before, sometimes a joke can be overused too much.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-25, 03:44   Link #193
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I think it boils down to people trying to find correlations in the industry. It's no mystery that a lot of Okada shows have cross dressing for example, it's a quirk that seems to follow her in whatever show she's in.

You're not wrong in that a lot of this is speculatory and how we can't know 100%, but I think the idea here is about being able to make educated guesses based on available information how much a person can contribute to a production or sink it.

This information is helpful for deciphering what anime to watch in the future and for what staff members we might want to avoid.

Personally I've been able to figure out what staff to follow pretty well for myself because of such speculatory information.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 10:39   Link #194
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:

but how many of those really made an impact?

I'd say only AnoHana became a hit.

So once I again, I question her value.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 11:29   Link #195
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
but how many of those really made an impact?

I'd say only AnoHana became a hit.
Hanasaku Iroha was a hit as well,and it aired in the same season as Ano Hana,that's when the boom started happening,the same writer had two hits in the same season.

True Tears has cult hit status as well, she's still finding work because of it,she was hired for Aquarion Evol (that's her latest commercial success) after the director saw True Tears.

You're not the only one questioning her value,all the attention she gets is far from being all positive.
Old 2012-08-25, 12:31   Link #196
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I don't think there's actually any anime production in existence where either all the credit or all the blame can be attributed to any one single player. Anime is far too complicated and takes far too many people to make it work. Mari Okada is just one part of the equation.
that is why i wonder what all the 10 page of discussion is about. Regarding blame and credit, i think the director and original creator probably has a bigger role then the script writer. And she probably wasn't the only writer either. Most anime even for 1 cour shows have 2-3 writers attach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

Personally I've been able to figure out what staff to follow pretty well for myself because of such speculatory information.
i think you are better off looking at the director and source material then the script writer.

Quote:
Hanasaku Iroha was a hit as well,and it aired in the same season as Ano Hana,that's when the boom started happening,the same writer had two hits in the same season.
Hanasaku avg 7k+ sales, that is profitable but ver far form a Hit like Ano which avg 20k+ sales.
Old 2012-08-25, 14:16   Link #197
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
that is why i wonder what all the 10 page of discussion is about. Regarding blame and credit, i think the director and original creator probably has a bigger role then the script writer.
People likely blame her too much as relentlessflame said but there's evidence out there that original creators and directors let her have a big say in things

Here's some aquarion trivia:

Quote:
Kawamori writes the outline of his anime, but he let the scriptwriter do what she wants with the contents
Quote:
Andy wasn't originally meant to be there, but Okada felt she needed a "male who loves pretty girl" (ie: the friend of Tokimeki Memorial's MC). Kawamori was surprised when she put such kind of character. Even Okada herself was surprised to have proposed him. She thought Andy was the "hole" of Kawamori, so she was able to turn him into a regular. MIX has always been a class rep, but she was originally a gentle bigger sister type. Some member of the staff was complaining MIX was not MIX anymore after Okada's changes.
Some Fractale trivia from its director:

Quote:
MC: Please tell us about the Dias character.

Yamakan: Regarding Dias, it was Ms. Mari Okada (Series Composition and Scripts), not I, who wanted to add that type of character. She began to say that without this character, she would be unsatisfied and get bored with the series.(laughs).
Quote:
MC: Iguchi-san, how come do you think Enri says “ecchi” so many times? Any particular reason? Is Enri obsessed with it?

Iguchi: Maybe Enri is “ecchi”, too.

MC: Let's ask Yamakan about it.

Yamakan: Again, that was Mari Okada's decision! She came up with the idea that Enri would be a character who keeps yelling “ecchi”. She is crazy... she is an "ecchi" herself."
Some Black Butler II trivia from an interview

Quote:
Also, as for the story of Alois and Claude, I was pretty much left free to do whatever I wanted, but for the ending of Sebastian and Ciel I received the idea from Toboso-sensei (original mangaka), so I basically thought how to develop the story so that it would get to that point.

MC:I have heard that the ending will be a shocking development......

Okada : Yes (LOL). I was surprised because I thought wow, she's gonna let us do something pretty terrific. Toboso-sensei is really a person of high caliber (LOL).
Okada also won a kobe award last year,that contributes to her notoriety because the award is usually given to directors and not screenwriters.
Old 2012-08-25, 15:21   Link #198
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
i think you are better off looking at the director and source material then the script writer.
I never said script writers are more important. Yes, directors are usually the most important, it's actually the first thing I look up in any production. However, it's naive to think the script writer isn't important though when it comes to an anime original production or for a competent adaption of a source material. I am fully aware of the many factors at work here.

The whole thing I was trying to say here is that despite people's urging on that we are not looking at the bigger picture here, I think we are intelligent enough to be able to tell which staff members do and do not work for us historically.

Did Mari Okada single handedly damage Lupin III beyond repair? Probably not, however she sure as hell obviously had a big negative impact on it (And her behavior in other shows recently seem to support this). I'm sure the director or producers could have reigned her in a bit better Nagai style, but it didn't quite happen. The fact that people attribute a lot of that production's bad handling to her is not done without good reason though.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 19:53   Link #199
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Well, that's why most of the discussion has been focused around original work and not adaptation. I do think the talk about adaptations involving her are way too broad and meaningless. You can't downplay the writing of an original work, because... the writer IS the source.

And yes, obviously no one person amounts to the completeness of a work, but then again wars weren't won by just the leaders of a country-- but they are the ones that keep getting mentioned. Getting your name stamped on something relates you to it, and you also bear some of the responsibility, like it or not. Bill Gates isn't responsible for the many bugs in Windows. But guess who gets poo-poo'd every time Windows crashes?

Everything that exists is the result of multiple causes, but dwelling too much on this distracts from discussion and is just pointless sophistry. If we claim everything is indefinite, which most things are, then why bother discussing anything at all?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-26, 02:43   Link #200
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
And yes, obviously no one person amounts to the completeness of a work, but then again wars weren't won by just the leaders of a country-- but they are the ones that keep getting mentioned. Getting your name stamped on something relates you to it, and you also bear some of the responsibility, like it or not. Bill Gates isn't responsible for the many bugs in Windows. But guess who gets poo-poo'd every time Windows crashes?
Still, in that case, why are we not talking about the Director, or the Production Committee? The writer is an employee of the Production Committee, and they are commissioned to produce the work by request (and that work is reviewed and approved). It's not like they're sitting there with a script already written waiting to be adapted and, even if they were, it's not as if it was the scriptwriter's choice to make it an anime (someone's paying for all this stuff). If you're going to blame the "Leader", why aren't we going straight to the top and to the "Bill Gates level", as it were? (It's like blaming the Software Designer and not all the tiers of management who signed off on it.)

It just seems odd to me in a fan culture that is usually ganging up on Animation Production Studios for things they rarely have control over (including, usually, the script that they didn't write or the editorial decisions they had no control over), in this one and almost-only case people have decided that this one female scriptwriter is to blame for the things they don't like instead, and somehow the only fault the others higher in the chain of command have is "not reigning her in" (as if she's some sort of out-of-control child on a tantrum that needs to be disciplined... this even though they're the ones paying her to write for them). I find this bizarre and perplexing.

Tags
okada, writer