AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-12-12, 22:30   Link #7201
DoktorFunk
Warned for a moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
Did you guys decide to change the romanization for the siestas to chiester?
I hope not. I don't care what the legitimate name is, when you hear it, it sounds like 'Siesta'... Sure I'm bias because that's what i have come to know them as, but the relation between the imperial guards and Kinzo's western arms seems vague at best. I think OMK is the one that needs to change the romanization
DoktorFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 23:59   Link #7202
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorFunk View Post
I hope not. I don't care what the legitimate name is, when you hear it, it sounds like 'Siesta'... Sure I'm bias because that's what i have come to know them as, but the relation between the imperial guards and Kinzo's western arms seems vague at best. I think OMK is the one that needs to change the romanization
Regardless of what you like, if the romanization is inaccurate it needs to be changed. It's obvious they're supposed to represent the guns, but I'm not sure why they didn't then write the name as チエスタ or チェスタ if it was supposed to be Chiester. So I'm not sure which is supposed to be correct.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 00:04   Link #7203
Oblivion

To be honest though, whenever I see the word Chiester, it sounds like Chester to me lol.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 05:25   Link #7204
LordMune

How is the romanization inaccurate? Both "siesta" and "chiester" are corruptions of "winchester", and "siesta" is closer to the original kana. Nevermind Ougonmusoukyoku- hell, IIRC Battler's sprites are named "but_*.bmp" in the files of the original games, but that doesn't mean he's called Butler.
LordMune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 05:46   Link #7205
Witch of Uncertainty

As of today, I am done with my exams.
I look forward to the release!
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 10:12   Link #7206
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMune View Post
How is the romanization inaccurate? Both "siesta" and "chiester" are corruptions of "winchester", and "siesta" is closer to the original kana. Nevermind Ougonmusoukyoku- hell, IIRC Battler's sprites are named "but_*.bmp" in the files of the original games, but that doesn't mean he's called Butler.
that's a different matter. How they call the files is simply something that they use for their own convenience not something that the readers are supposed to see and use as reference.

For example "Lion"'s files are called RIO_****.bmp but when asked what was the official romanization they said "Lion".

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 12:15   Link #7207
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Due to the fact 07th expansion is busy for the preparations for C81, we didn't nudged them that much about things, so we don't really have an "official" romanization for Siesta/Chiester.

This bring another point that concerns fans a bit more, but it is nowhere critical as the former issue: a specific name to "translate".
Warning: I would like that only people with remote japanese knowledge to answer this "survey". This concerns a late point of Episode 8, so you better have read it as well.

Spoiler for Ura Tea party, Episode 8:

If any of you have another option, please submit it as well. Either way, I would like answers and opinions about this issue as soon as possible. Please be sure to enclose your answer in spoiler tag, since it is still a spoiler for those who didn't read Episode 8 to the end.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-12-13 at 12:49.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:05   Link #7208
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Spoiler for Episode8 Ura Tea Party:

Old 2011-12-13, 13:17   Link #7209
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Spoiler:
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:29   Link #7210
LordMune

Spoiler for Ura Tea party, Episode 8:

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo
that's a different matter. How they call the files is simply something that they use for their own convenience not something that the readers are supposed to see and use as reference.

For example "Lion"'s files are called RIO_****.bmp but when asked what was the official romanization they said "Lion".
I kind of want to declare the death of the author re: romanizations precisely because they're willfully/negligently inconsistent. Siesta is a better romanization of the original Japanese than Chiester is.

All in all Chiester is a bad name, as it somehow manages to insult the reader's intelligence (it's winchester GET IT) while also adding a token corruption of a single letter that makes little sense and brings nothing to the table.

And that's all I have to say about it.
LordMune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:36   Link #7211
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Spoiler for Arc8:
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:51   Link #7212
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Spoiler for EP8 Ura Tea Party:
Old 2011-12-13, 13:54   Link #7213
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Spoiler for Arc 8:
Old 2011-12-13, 14:13   Link #7214
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Spoiler for Arc8:
Spoiler for Episode 8 Ura Tea Party:

Old 2011-12-13, 14:29   Link #7215
matteas
Member Member

Spoiler for EP8, Ura Tea Party:
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 14:36   Link #7216
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Spoiler for EP8 ????:

You don't have a real english version of "heso kande shinjaeba~" either. It's not really anything important. But I just thought up yesterday that something like "disappear forever" could work (foreva~)!

I don't know what to do with Chiesters. I've also thought that it's too easy to figure out if it's going to be romanized that way. And Siesta is what I got used to. But it seems to be the official romanization, and makes more sense that Siesta in the end, especially for those who don't know about japanese spelling.

I feel bad for spoiling so much of EP8 for myself already, but I'm sure there's still many reasons to enjoy the real thing at last. Can't wait for the weekend!
Witch Hunt, the best of luck with reaching the finishing line after all your hard work!
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 14:52   Link #7217
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteas View Post
Spoiler for EP8, Ura Tea Party:
My thoughts exactly.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 15:27   Link #7218
zorahk

Spoiler for Ep 8 survey:
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 15:39   Link #7219
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Spoiler for arc 8:
Old 2011-12-13, 20:39   Link #7220
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

It feels like watching a conversation between people using sign language.... I don't dare click the spoiler button...

Tags
translation