Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-05-30, 09:21   Link #1661
Nayim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
It's as they say.

GS/GSD was meant to entertain the younger generation of Gundam fans rather then the older and much more standard-bearing fans.

Gundam has always been popular because of storyline and mecha, depth is there to add sublimity... GS/GSD didn't have much sublimity. I also found Lacus Clyne annoying.

It was an excellent anime in graphics during it's time -- that is true enough. But I wouldn't say the characters are memorable for the better.

..An example is Shinn Asuka. Gawd I hate his guts.
Uhhh... how i should explain this, you know, not just younger generation who watch GSD, even 30-45 years old watch too but they never complain how bad GSD is, which mean they liked it.

Quote:
Are people still arguing that SEED/Destiny is somehow more popular than UC in Japan?

Good gracious.When will people finally start injecting demographics' factor into those Newtype surveys or whatever and realize that most of recently popular hit Anime is still relatively microscopic compared to moreculturally integrated stuff.Maybe if you give them some time,things like Fullmetal Alchemist will become watched like Sazae-san or that SEED/Destiny will be associated with the name "Gundam" as much as the UC continuity,but I don't see any of that that happening in only few years.
I agreed with you, but to tell true, UC isn' perfect at all, don't get me wrong, i love UC too.

Those who don't know about this, in Japan, everyone blamed Tomino or maybe i should "Kill'em All Tomino" which is failure to bringing heart for the fan. (Maybe just a little) Incase, some gundam series like Victory, Turn A or ZZ, giving fail respond to the fan either. Here how they complain about UC:

ZZ Gundam - first of all, Zeta sequel supposed Dark, bloodiest show but this were the fan thinking "WTF" why the show become light-hearted & comedy but the second season bring back "darkness series", but worst part is Elpeo Puru died, the fan fade up to watch that show. "Anime Ja Nai" is really not appreciate to the fan, they said more like "mocking Japanese culture" and they also said ZZ Gundam is weirdest, here example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InCvRdsne4

The fan critic ZZ is like super robot type like this: " Wait!! I never seen gundam combine sequence, is that supposed super robot style/rule & why gigantic beam attack from ZZ's forehead it's like Daitarn 3's sun attack. is not make any sense". I finally realize why ZZ Gundam never came to North America

Turn A Gundam - to G Gundam's western fan, remember Turn X when he using "Shining Finger", the fan critic "another super robot style & rip-off" here the proof:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc-OBmpKSSQ

About the character design, it kinda hard to explain why Japan never impressed about them, except Loran, which is they really appreciate. Somehow, fan in USA want to know why Turn A Gundam never came in USA, just like ZZ, the answer is here:

Yes, ***ual jokes, but not so fast, there is another pic you need to see this:

http://ghostlightning.files.wordpres...char-kissu.jpg

This might why Tomino don't want his project came USA because he want protect his own dignity Oh God

Gundam Char Counter Attack - this is were Amuro Ray & Char/Quattro's fan getting heart broken when they both died. The fan mailed to Tomino how really frustated about his/her favourite character died. Not the mention "Kill'em all Tomino" became most notable, fan change the title called "We Gonna Kill You Tomino" no i am not joking, this is serious, i was mad too

Gundam War In The Pocket - Yes, this is not Tomino's creation but i find out it kinda weird, i mean really, maybe this should explain why: They don't like main character, Alfred Izuruha, they love Bernard Wiseman, here the proof:

http://www.pixiv.net/search.php?word...0&s_mode=s_tag

What do you see everyone, what do you see, i see that's a lot of Bernard's fan, not Alfred, & no Newtype character! No wonder why in Japan hate that show so much, but USA does.

Sorry about my english, that's all information i got from his/her blog from Japan No wonder why they hate Tomino so much.

Note: since this thread about "What cause GSD fail", i sorry but i wanted someone need understand why UC never got biggest popular in Japan than USA does, you can sue me, you can me idiot or say anything bad about me, i don't care because this is real, BTW i was UC fan too but fail to impressed me somehow. Thank You.
Nayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 12:21   Link #1662
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Uhhh... how i should explain this, you know, not just younger generation who watch GSD, even 30-45 years old watch too but they never complain how bad GSD is, which mean they liked it.
Younger generation on the basis of Gundam fandom. Youth is only a small factor on this scale.

...Other then that I think you pretty much summed it up. XD neat picture.... I think.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 17:54   Link #1663
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMaster View Post
Gundam has never been deep, regardless as mentioned I'm sure several times throughout this threads life...GSD was a far cry from failing. It failed to entertain some of the older fans...but that's not who it was meant for in the first place- so who really cares?
Amen to that.

Nowadays I find it funny how UC-elitists just love to shove up your face how more advanced and mature they are comparing to the fans of other series. FAIL! I don't know how it is in USA, but in the region of Europe I live in people seem to prefer Wing, SEED and 00 over UC. Why? I don't know. Even the older anime fans. Unicorn might change that but we have to wait and see.

GSD had many flaws but it is in no ways as utterly terrible as some people insist it to be. Instead of fighting with other tastes and get hit in retaliation, one should maybe really show his maturity and focus on epic wins like Unicorn or the first SEED. Or Destiny's great success in terms of audience-luring :]
Old 2010-05-30, 20:46   Link #1664
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Amen to that.

Nowadays I find it funny how UC-elitists just love to shove up your face how more advanced and mature they are comparing to the fans of other series. FAIL! I don't know how it is in USA, but in the region of Europe I live in people seem to prefer Wing, SEED and 00 over UC. Why? I don't know. Even the older anime fans. Unicorn might change that but we have to wait and see.
Here in the U.S. Wing is consider beloved classic by many and is still a bigger hit then the UC stuff mostly because it was one of the main series that jump started the current anime subculture.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 23:21   Link #1665
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

and in the US, UC was barely shown on network television. I think there was MSG for a while but ended or something.

anyway, GSD was in no way a failure in my view. It had good sales and the characters are still popular even after 5 years? In a lot of polls in Japan, the GSD crew place the highest of all Gundam characters. I'm not saying all, but a lot. Even with 00, GSD characters are still probably more popular. More specifically- Kira(especially), Lacus, Athrun and Cagalli.

Look at newtype polls, Kira is eternal 4th even after so long, even higher than Setsuna and Lacus 7th. They're higher than all other Gundam characters in their respective genders. Of course, I can't say that this true everywhere.

I believe that among truly hardcore and fanatic gundam fans, UC is their favorite, but among the general audience Seed in general is.

I believe a lot is because of the characters though not the show itself.

To be truly honest, I feel that if Sunrise does not follow up on making more CE series not just a movie, it would be pretty stupid since there's a gold mine. Of course the thing that could drag it down would be the possibility that the popularity of the original characters is too great to give new characters a chance.

Either way, what i see as great would be both CE and UC together. UC as for the hardcore fans and CE for general audience. Of course I would replace the director and writer for future CE series. Look at Stargrazer, it was great and showed what CE could be, a gundam series that focused on relationships in war and emotional moments and yet had good mecha action

Of course it's all to your own taste. I like UC for the hardcore mecha and history but CE for the characters and some of the mecha design. Of course they're usually designed by the same guy anyway.
zeroexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 00:35   Link #1666
GundamFan

Zeroexia your right it did get pulled off the air but the show had 6 episodes to go when 9-11 attacks happened and they felt it wasn't apporiate to continue with had happened. They have aired other UC stuff though such as Char's counter attack, 0080: war in the pocket, and the 08th mobile suit team.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 07:15   Link #1667
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
People can't prefer to like something more if they don't even know its existence.

To many anime fans, even 'older' anime fans in USA and Europe, Gundam Wing is the first Gundam to them, it may even be their first mecha anime.

If people think that UC fans loved UC because of nostalgia, its the same thing for Wing fans who loved Wing.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 07:29   Link #1668
Nayim

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
People can't prefer to like something more if they don't even know its existence.

To many anime fans, even 'older' anime fans in USA and Europe, Gundam Wing is the first Gundam to them, it may even be their first mecha anime.

If people think that UC fans loved UC because of nostalgia, its the same thing for Wing fans who loved Wing.
Hmm... maybe i should take back my word.

BTW did you know what the most famous UC in Japan? The answer is:

Mobile Suit Gundam 8th MS Team

I don't know why, but it kinda best gundam show in UC, i think.
Nayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 12:21   Link #1669
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

i always thought the most famous was Zeta, considering it was still popular enough to get those new translation movies and many people believe Zeta was the best.
Old 2010-05-31, 13:17   Link #1670
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayim View Post
Hmm... maybe i should take back my word.

BTW did you know what the most famous UC in Japan? The answer is:

Mobile Suit Gundam 8th MS Team

I don't know why, but it kinda best gundam show in UC, i think.
I thought 08th MS Team was the most realistic. Maybe that was a slight draw? Who knows.

(The ending was awful, though, I felt)

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 14:19   Link #1671
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

well just because it was the most realistic doesn't make it the most famous.
Old 2010-05-31, 15:23   Link #1672
LightMaster

The most famous is probably the Original, it's the titular series...when you think Gundam in Japan you're pretty much forced to think Amuro and the RX-78-2 Gundam before everything else.
LightMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 16:00   Link #1673
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMaster View Post
The most famous is probably the Original, it's the titular series...when you think Gundam in Japan you're pretty much forced to think Amuro and the RX-78-2 Gundam before everything else.
yea, they think of RX-78-2 Gundam,

BUT....everybody remembers Char and good old Red Zaku
Old 2010-05-31, 21:55   Link #1674
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroexia View Post
well just because it was the most realistic doesn't make it the most famous.
I didn't say it was THE reason why.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 07:24   Link #1675
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Nice try, but do you seriously contend with this? SEED/Destiny is just popular because.... Lacus wants you to believe it is, it is a mainstream anime that caters to the masses. It's like SEED is for novices and UC is for advanced fans. Even the depth of story supports it. I mean look at Unicorn and look at SEED....
U.C has some pretty stupid plots, rewatch Zeta Gundam, and see how utterly stupid the Earth Federation is in it. I mean they basically staffed an entire group full of whack jobs then proceeded to hand over basically everything to them.

Personally I also found that for every 30 bunch scene we also got really silly scenes where people start fist fighting each other at a drop of a hat. Not to mention Char having sunglasses as a disguise.

U.C Gundam was really hit or miss, for example Gundam 0080 was excellent, while I found 08th MS team to be far too lacking in personality to be interesting.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 09:19   Link #1676
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

Still, loving something doesn't mean one should force it down others' throats, nor should he/she act with condescending attitude.

Destiny to me was in no way a failure and despite it not being better than its predecessor in my eyes, I still consider it a success. Especially after watching its Special Editions which appealed to me greatly with its quicker pace
Old 2010-06-02, 13:00   Link #1677
tetsuo69

Quote:
Still, loving something doesn't mean one should force it down others' throats, nor should he/she act with condescending attitude.

Destiny to me was in no way a failure and despite it not being better than its predecessor in my eyes, I still consider it a success. Especially after watching its Special Editions which appealed to me greatly with its quicker pace
+1 agreed 100%
Old 2010-06-02, 13:03   Link #1678
justavisitor

I don't know whether GSD is a failure or not...but to me, the many reused scenes, familiar ending like seed (meteor spamming), strike-freedom becomes freedom in the last episode...those are the signs that the producer does not give enough effort....and I would like to see some effort in the show...

With that being said, I really like Seed...and I like both AU and UC
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 20:13   Link #1679
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^
Commercially a Success...

Critically an EPIC FAIL...

Like the Transformer Movies, only the good guy robots don't get blemished in any way whatsoever in the end...

Can't believe it's been like 5 years...Wow, so many awesome flamewars over Kira and Shinn... Ahhh, It was fun while it lasted T_T...
Old 2010-06-02, 20:38   Link #1680
DC23

Send a message via Yahoo to DC23
I like all the Gundam series, mainly due to my enthusiasm in building there model kit counterparts. I do not know if GSD is a failure and I for one ( being kinda old - 31 ) loves UC not because of the story line but because of the military feel it has on the designs of the MS.

GSD has cool MSs but there are just too much Gundams in the show...I like the idea of Gundams being elite prototypes or MS much like in UC.
DC23 is offline   Reply With Quote