AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 2 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 9.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 54.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-13, 11:56   Link #321
Xander

Thanks, that's indeed a lot of interesting information.

The phrase about Layla's background may imply her family has been living in the E.U. for a number of years, as opposed to being a lone defector who just recently fled from Britannia. It's also good to finally get a proper explanation about "Euro Britannia" as that term has been showing up in many Akito-related materials without much elaboration so far. Besides that, the specifics on the European system of government are welcome.

Incidentally, all of this extends the whole "exiles without a home" theme further than what I originally expected. It's looking like a pretty good use of the concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Really? There's an official CG timeline which talks about Napoleon? I had no idea. Lol. It's pretty weird that they would release official material contradicting previously released info. I wonder if there's a reason for that, or if they just changed their minds and decided to retcon it...
I'd say either interpretation is possible here.

I don't know if that older story was actually official or not, since the Code Geass wiki does have a lot of fan speculation...but if so, maybe the previous explanation is now simply meant to be a cover story, perhaps made up by the people who secretly executed Napoleon because he was still an important figure they couldn't openly condemn at the time, though the truth might well have been revealed later. It makes me think of something similar to what Diethard and the Black Knights claimed happened to Zero ("Oh, he died from his wounds!") after he escaped during the R2 betrayal episode.

Or they just changed it outright, like how the Chinese Federation was briefly hinted to be communist during a speech made by the Emperor in the first season, until the staff probably realized it was more convenient to use something less directly comparable to the modern Chinese system of government and went for a "child ruler manipulated by Eunuchs" scenario instead.

Quote:
Edit: Btw, does anyone know what E.U. really stands for? I keep seeing "Euro Universe" in the previous Code Geass materials, but it's definitely not that in the Akito stuff. They keep using ユーロピア共和国連合 which is literally Europia Union. I translated it to European Union because that's what it is in real life now, and it sounds better, but it probably should be left as Europia Union. It really does seem like they're changing the entire E.U. background and name to suit what the new director wants. Is there any more info on this? Thanks!
I remember that in the actual Japanese dialogue they usually said "E.U." and nothing more, even if the printed materials did spell out "Euro Universe" like you've mentioned. I suppose we'll see if they address that change or not. Either way, I'm definitely not against retroactive continuity when the result is something that sounds better than what had been originally intended. If Kazuki Akane is going that far with this (and more), he's definitely earning his co-writer credit.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 16:52   Link #322
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

That older info about Napoleon is from a series of snippet stories (like, only a page long) where Lelouch tutors Suzaku about Britannian history. (I got one with one of the CG DVDs I bought in the past, though strangely, it didn't come with all of the others.) There was also a short little video clips for it, which were on youtube once upon a time I think, though I don't know whether it's still there. (I forgot the name.) Considering that, it may be that the creators deemed that these short stories wasn't important enough that they had to follow the info released in them. As for the EU's actual name, that's pretty much also up in the air. While it has been referred to as "Euro-Universe" in most printed materials, it was referred to as "European Ultra-Union" in the CG light novels, so it's hard to say whether Euro-Universe is definite or just a temporary name they came up with in the past to fill in the details, since the EU wasn't the focus of the story until now. Hopefully, they'll finally make things clear in Akito.

Also, according to a tidbit from the Geass Project twitter page (https://twitter.com/intent/user?scre...e=GEASSPROJECT), the blond-haired girl who appeared at the end of the Kiseki no Birthday picture drama (the one that was sitting next to Nunnally, Tianzi and Kaguya as the leaders of all the major powers, and who is, according to the Twitter entry, the president of the EU) will be appearing in Akito as well, so we'll finally know who she is.
Eternal Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 18:39   Link #323
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Dreamer View Post
Considering that, it may be that the creators deemed that these short stories wasn't important enough that they had to follow the info released in them. As for the EU's actual name, that's pretty much also up in the air. While it has been referred to as "Euro-Universe" in most printed materials, it was referred to as "European Ultra-Union" in the CG light novels, so it's hard to say whether Euro-Universe is definite or just a temporary name they came up with in the past to fill in the details, since the EU wasn't the focus of the story until now. Hopefully, they'll finally make things clear in Akito.
Ah, you mean the S1 history lessons? The thing is, those were basically semi-informative jokes where Lelouch tried to teach Suzaku about Britannian history, often pointing out that there were exaggerations and inaccuracies involved. I guess it's not particularly hard to contradict those notes, now that the subject of European history needs to be addressed instead of being a side commentary in a bonus booklet.

Quote:
Also, according to a tidbit from the Geass Project twitter page (https://twitter.com/intent/user?scre...e=GEASSPROJECT), the blond-haired girl who appeared at the end of the Kiseki no Birthday picture drama (the one that was sitting next to Nunnally, Tianzi and Kaguya as the leaders of all the major powers, and who is, according to the Twitter entry, the president of the EU) will be appearing in Akito as well, so we'll finally know who she is.
I figured as much...but considering there are apparently three E.U. presidents, not just one, similar to the three consuls under Napoleon before he became Emperor, at the very least there should be two proper adults keeping her in check. I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but that system makes it more tolerable.

Then again, she might not even get that position of power until the end, when the E.U. government inevitably falls, and may be shown in Akito doing something else. Either way, I suppose it is also nice that even that bit of trivia is going to get some sort of recognition here, since she was shown in a picture drama and all.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 01:41   Link #324
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Spoiler for Cleaner scans:
Old 2012-07-14, 02:19   Link #325
Dark Wing

The biggest reason I'm optimistic about this OVA is because from what I heard they arguably delayed this at the request of the new director (Kazuki Akane), who didn't want to do a rush job without planning enough stuff first, which I think most people would agree was the cause of what ultimately happened to R2. It also helps that they don't have to show an episode every week.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:58   Link #326
rinichan

that mean Hitler never exist in this world (actually theirs)???
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 07:07   Link #327
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I don't even think America exists in the Code Geass world. Lol.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 07:40   Link #328
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Yeah, because the American Revolution didn't happen.
Old 2012-07-14, 15:22   Link #329
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
Maybe this isn't bad....Japanese authors always made giant errors when they use no-japan costumes information or history.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 15:22   Link #330
Destined_Fate

Quote:
I don't even think America exists in the Code Geass world. Lol.
Not the first time a Mecha Anime screws over America.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:29   Link #331
gordol
Banned

Spoiler for pv pic:

台詞が
C.C.「ギアス、人を操る禁断の力」
リョウ「俺達イレヴンには、居場所なんてない」
レイラ「彼らはイレヴンではなく日本人です」
アキト「うあああああああああああ!!」

映像が先行PV、特報で出てた映像に加えて
冒頭にR2の1話Aパートにあったゼロの写真に×が付いてる映像
炎上する森の中で戦うアレクサンダ、聖ラファエル騎士団グロースター
倒れてるグロースターのそばで咆哮するアキトの声に合わせて動くアレクサンダ
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:45   Link #332
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
^ Yeah, because the American Revolution didn't happen.
Well, it happened...

It just didn't succeed.
Old 2012-07-16, 04:13   Link #333
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Hmmmmmm...

http://www.b-ch.com/news/

≫コードギアス 亡国のアキト  8月4日劇場上映 TVCM(30秒)
≫コードギアス 亡国のアキト  8月4日劇場上映 TVCM(15秒)
≫コードギアス 亡国のアキト  8月4日劇場上映 予告

Looks like two TVCMs and a new theatrical trailer will be coming out today on Bandai Channel. But they're not up yet.

Edit: Oh right, today is also the early screening event! The first screening should be over in about 10 minutes, so within an hour or two we should have some impressions from Japan!
Old 2012-07-16, 04:25   Link #334
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Edit: Oh right, today is also the early screening event! The first screening should be over in about 10 minutes, so within an hour or two we should have some impressions from Japan!
great!!! gonna keep an eye on this thread
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 05:27   Link #335
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Some preliminary stuff I read so far:

- The CG mecha action animates really well, and looks impressive
- Most Geass fans seem pretty satisfied with the first chapter
- The preview for the second chapter shows Suzaku and CC, as well as a CG Lancelot

I'm probably going to avoid more detailed impressions, because I don't really want to be spoiled...
Old 2012-07-16, 06:07   Link #336
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Official site updated: http://geass.jp/akito

New main visual, new screens for Vol1, and the new TVCMs and trailer.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:03   Link #337
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Some preliminary stuff I read so far:

- The CG mecha action animates really well, and looks impressive
- Most Geass fans seem pretty satisfied with the first chapter
- The preview for the second chapter shows Suzaku and CC, as well as a CG Lancelot

I'm probably going to avoid more detailed impressions, because I don't really want to be spoiled...
So Suzaku and CC are making a comeback appearance hum? Interesting.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:07   Link #338
Debeki

Debeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 07:43   Link #339
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

love the CGI battles shown on those PV they look smooth and frantic
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 08:58   Link #340
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

Translation on new episode summary on Akito website:

Spoiler for Akito Chapter 1: "The Wyvern Has Landed" (Summary):

Seems like even in the EU, the Japanese face a lot of discrimination. Can't wait for the official public screening in August!
Eternal Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote