AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 57 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 7.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-07, 21:09   Link #41
Battler-kun

Decent episode, but nothing unexpected and special.

People hyperventilate quite often here.
Old 2013-02-07, 21:16   Link #42
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post

yeah everything was expected
i mean it's so predictable

(the dude gave 5/10 , oh god)
Old 2013-02-07, 21:18   Link #43
BoyTitan

Quote:

This I fully agree.
Old 2013-02-07, 21:21   Link #44
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
I never said study his brain and his condition does not necessarily have to be neurological.
That's not the point. I'm just trying to say that Makishima being such an exceptional individual and Sybll likely being run off people hardly seems coincidental.
Old 2013-02-07, 21:23   Link #45
Vicious108

Well that was... anti-climatic. That feeling might partially stem from all the hype which included the whole thing about Gen calling this episode his masterpiece, but still, in the end, it turned out to be just one big tease. It was a viscerally thrilling ride and all, but in the end it didn't really offer much in the way of true substance, nor was there any real payoff to all the build up from the previous episodes. And pulling the "characters get to see it, but the audience doesn't" card at the end was just lame. Why further extend the mystery and suspense when the reveal had been built up perfectly and the time was just right for the bomb to be dropped? So it can never live up to the even bigger expectations people will have now?

Not only that, but it seems that Kougami really meant nothing beyond temporary entertainment to Makishima, who ended up failing quite spectacularly. And save for the brief quoting, their confrontation ended up being just a less well animated Spike vs Vincent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Anyways Im' glad Makishima got caught now and not just killed (no way Akane would have killed him, btw) in the finale. Now it's interesting to see what they will do with him. I still have a slight hope he'll play John Doe's role from Seven.
One can only hope. It was disappointing that Che Gu Seung had to meet his end already, but at least Makishima still has a chance of amounting to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Well, let's see...

We got a pretty exciting cliffhanger so I'm guessing that the next episode will tell Kagari's back story.
What cliffhanger? Everything was wrapped up (too) neatly. The only two people who saw Sybil's dirty secret are now dead and the only person who had the ability to expose it is now captured.

As for Bureau Chief Kasei not being human, that was already heavily hinted at the end of episode 13. I would hardly call it a twist. The only twist in this episode was that there was no real twist.

As to what will happen now, I guess the protagonists might find Kagari's fate to be suspicious and begin to inspect Sybil as a result.
Old 2013-02-07, 21:44   Link #46
prototype_sky

I think episode 11 was better because ending was hard to see coming. Poor Kogami got his glory stolen and ends up injured for the 3rd time . I wonder if we'll see a replacement member
Old 2013-02-07, 21:54   Link #47
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

Quote:

I'll be lying if I don't say it's unexpected, but the action and suspense man!

Kougami really loves hospital doesn't he?
Old 2013-02-07, 22:00   Link #48
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
What cliffhanger? Everything was wrapped up (too) neatly. The only two people who saw Sybil's dirty secret are now dead and the only person who had the ability to expose it is now captured.

As for Bureau Chief Kasei not being human, that was already heavily hinted at the end of episode 13. I would hardly call it a twist. The only twist in this episode was that there was no real twist.

As to what will happen now, I guess the protagonists might find Kagari's fate to be suspicious and begin to inspect Sybil as a result.
I was referring to the obvious question "What next? What's the aftermath of the revelations of this episode?" we're all wondering.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:00   Link #49
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
The only thing I didn't like about this episode is the doofy faces during Kougami and Makishima's fighting... I was like who makes those faces?

Interesting twist at the end though. Hard to believe there are still 6 episodes left.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.

Last edited by Deacon Blues; 2013-02-07 at 22:11.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:03   Link #50
blackwhite67
Banned

In hindsight, maybe Makishima's discussion involving "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?" was to foreshadow the Chief's being a robot.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:04   Link #51
Battler-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
I'll be lying if I don't say it's unexpected, but the action and suspense man!

Kougami really loves hospital doesn't he?
Well, it's nicely directed and packed with action, but still storywise, if you have seen atleast a few movies regarding dystopian science-fiction, it won't surprise you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Interesting twist at the end though. Hard to believe there are still 6 episodes left.
Obviously with Makishima caught, and the Chief's elimination of the 2 witness of what Sybil is really about, things will turn down a bit again.

But the system still must be overthrown and thus is why Makishima isn't still dead yet.

He and Kougami will work together to destroy Sybil.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:05   Link #52
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
Well that was... anti-climatic. That feeling might partially stem from all the hype which included the whole thing about Gen calling this episode his masterpiece, but still, in the end, it turned out to be just one big tease. It was a viscerally thrilling ride and all, but in the end it didn't really offer much in the way of true substance, nor was there any real payoff to all the build up from the previous episodes. And pulling the "characters get to see it, but the audience doesn't" card at the end was just lame. Why further extend the mystery and suspense when the reveal had been built up perfectly and the time was just right for the bomb to be dropped? So it can never live up to the even bigger expectations people will have now?

Not only that, but it seems that Kougami really meant nothing beyond temporary entertainment to Makishima, who ended up failing quite spectacularly. And save for the brief quoting, their confrontation ended up being just a less well animated Spike vs Vincent.

One can only hope. It was disappointing that Che Gu Seung had to meet his end already, but at least Makishima still has a chance of amounting to something.

You know it just really is not making sense the more i think of it. As I said earlier if sybil did have a dark secret to it why was it not more heavily guarded from the start for something so big and evil it should have had more measures to protect it there was nonthing to make us think aside from creating a fd up society or messed up people that what runs sybil could be inhumane or pure evil or even by some chance unearthly. Not showing sybil leaving it up to viewer speculation is the lowest and the cheapest of the low way to make viewers speculate you pull that crap in shounens but you do not do that in a series about serious topics and a plot like this. Heres what they should have done sybil runs on people like maki, Maki gets fed to sybil, The director lies about how Kaigiri and Sho died. The directors carry on clueless. Then again that is still bad sorry but the director screwed up the minute he tried to make sybil more evil than it already is. Should have just kept it what it was a machine that essentially takes away peoples freedoms with a corrupt leader not type of good ending can come out of this. To people who don't read darker toned stories sybil running of people will be a huge shock and be considered gruesome to anyone else big deal woo how scary. The whole plot was ruined by this. And not revealing it was pointless cause anyone with half a brain can see exactly were this is going the only thing left to speculate is how many people sybil runs off of, Is it alien or machine. What kind of condition are the people it runs off of in stuff we have all seen before anyways.

Oh lets not forget Maki has been caught with no clear story showed on his true intentions way to go nice job.

Heres a better ending Maki escapes whats the point of having him out class kogami to get caught really, The director kills the hacker before he opens up to see sybil which was just a empty room and Kaigiri escapes with the pics and the director lies to the team and makes them hunt him. See that much better now the plot has room to develop and does not reach terminator/alien the movie level of scifi cause tho good that does not belong here at all.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:13   Link #53
Battler-kun

Quote:
Obviously with Makishima caught, and the Chief's elimination of the 2 witness of what Sybil is really about, things will turn down a bit again.

But the system still must be overthrown and thus is why Makishima isn't still dead yet.

He and Kougami will work together to destroy Sybil.
To quote myself, Kogami said to Akane that their plan is not to stop Makishima from achieving his goal but to drive him into the corner.

More than enough hint that they will cooperate in one way or another to overthrow Sybil.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:15   Link #54
Kirarakim

I thought the episode was really good and actually was unexpected. People keep saying it was predictable but I read through all the threads and I didn't see anyone guessing this was how the Akane/Kougami/Makishima conflict would go down. I assume this was the confrontation we saw in the first episode (although maybe I am wrong).

Does it feel a bit anticlimactic? Makishima is defeated (so it seems). We see the brain/heart of the sybil system but Kagari is supposedly killed before anything can be revealed.

I understand there were no exciting reveals except perhaps the section chief. Makishima who seemed indestructible gets taken down by a bop to the head with a helmet. We had the taste of the secret of the sybil system and it was taken away from us but...

We still have 6 episodes left. This might be the beginning of the end but it's not the ending. To me I question what Akane's decision of not killing Makishima will really mean in the end? Should she have killed him? And not just because he is dangerous himself, for some reason the section chief wanted him alive.

Perhaps we didn't get all the answers we wanted but I am happy I still have many questions.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:17   Link #55
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
I wonder if they managed to upload the truth on the internet about sybil or it was too late
Old 2013-02-07, 22:41   Link #56
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I thought the episode was really good and actually was unexpected. People keep saying it was predictable but I read through all the threads and I didn't see anyone guessing this was how the Akane/Kougami/Makishima conflict would go down. I assume this was the confrontation we saw in the first episode (although maybe I am wrong).
I think people calling it predictable are mostly referring to the Kagari/Seung/Chief side of the story, which, while enjoyable, did feel like standard sci-fi fanfare to me.

The Akane/Kougami/Makishima side of things was definitely not predictable though, but that's not always a good thing and in this case I certainly feel as if more predictable would have been preferable. Not that I have anything against Akane being the one to bring down Makishima, I just expected (and hoped for) a more personal and intellectually stimulating showdown (as was the case in episode 11) rather than the straightforward and relatively vapid martial arts duel we got.

And for all the speculating on Makishima, I felt this episode cheapened his character a little in that he did come off as someone just trying to kill boredom this time around. And, in the end, his "villain's flaw" that allowed for his defeat was just... carelessness. Again, not what I've come up to expect from him or Urobuchi.

Of course, we're far from the end yet and these issues can still be turned around depending on the ramifications of this whole conflict and the direction things take from now on. I'm certainly not claiming this episode killed the series. As you said, there's still questions to look forward to, I just felt this was the right time to answer some of them and that others deserved better (provisional) answers.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:03   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This episode and the two before it have made for an excellent thrill ride, and this part was definitely the most exciting part of that thrill ride.

Also, this ending to the arc isn't exactly predictable, imo.

What I find with Gen is that he's great with setting up endings that seem unpredictable going into them (I felt the same way about Madoka Magica prior to its final two episodes), but the finale unfolds in such a plausible and profoundly in-character way that you seriously wonder if any other ending was really even possible. In other words, Gen's finales are almost too good, too tight. They're not truly predictable, but they do feel a bit anti-climatic.

Going into Episode 16 of Pyscho-Pass, I honestly thought either of the following was possible:

1) Makishima succeeds. Sibyl comes crashing down. The rest of Psycho-Pass is about our (surviving) protagonists picking up the pieces and trying to find a new order that can take the place of Sibyl.

2) Makishima fails. Sibyl survives. Kougami and Akane achieve their victory over their hated foe. The rest of Psycho-Pass is about our protagonists truly confronting Sibyl. Makishima is a "mid-boss", antagonist-wise, albeit an excellent one.

But after watching Episode 16, it's hard to imagine a finale fitting as well as this one did. It's an interesting strength/weakness that Gen has here.

It's enough so that I can't give it 10/10. It does leave me feeling oddly unsatisfied once the ED plays, even as I realize the great technical merit and entertainment value in what I just watched. I can find no real, concrete flaw in the episode itself. And the overall package was superb - Great action scenes, great showdown between Makishima and Kougami, sharp dialogue and strong BGM. Akane proving her worth with a dramatic (but totally believable!) last second rescue.

The Director being a cyborg (or purely artificial?) was a bit surprising, I suppose. I am interested in seeing where that leads.

In the back of my mind, I had a thought about the Sibyl system that I felt was too outlandish to speak of. But now, I'm not so sure. My thought was that the logical extreme of Sibyl is... The Borg. Of Star Trek fame. That Sibyl is slowly but surely turning people into totally obedient and completely docile borg drones. The collective is everything, the individual is unimportant. But as strong as my misgivings over Sibyl were, I felt that take was a bit extreme, so I kept it private. Until now.

Now the hidden darkness of the Sibyl system appears very dark indeed, with the Director herself being at least part machine. Sibyl leading humanity into a borg-like state now seems like a bit more than a vague and disturbing familiarity. If not the borg, perhaps we're dealing with something like Terminator's Skynet. Just instead of killing all of humanity, they decide its more effective to just turn humans into sheep.

I also liked Kagari in this episode. I think his take on the wider situation does a good job of reflecting where a lot of viewers were at - Yeah, Sibyl is horrible, but the guys causing these riots are a bit monstrous in their own way.

9/10 is my rating for this episode.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:09   Link #58
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

Quote:
To quote myself, Kogami said to Akane that their plan is not to stop Makishima from achieving his goal but to drive him into the corner.

More than enough hint that they will cooperate in one way or another to overthrow Sybil.
I agree to this. Kougami and Makishima will team up somehow, whether Kou wants or not. Akane will refuse because she believes in Sybil system, thus it fits the scene in the OP.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:14   Link #59
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I wonder now how will the end of the anime (episode 22), because when I saw the prologue Makishima and Kogami in episode 1, I thought this scene would be to episode 22 brief for conclude the anime but finally no...
Old 2013-02-07, 23:19   Link #60
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
Akane will refuse because she believes in Sybil system.
But she doesn't believe in the system. She believes in reality. So, if it's proved that the system doesn't work, she would accept that reality and move on. That's the reason why her psycho-path doesn't get clouded to begin with, remember?