AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-16, 23:35   Link #441
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

It never really went into it really, IIRC. The closest we get is that it confers power over their domain, like with Galadriel, it's her ring that is maintaining the forests of Lothlorien in their enchanted state. I think Elrond is doing the same. The elven rings were the only uncorrupted ones IIRC. The rest "fell" in someway, binding them to the One in the case of the humans or were lost, in the case of the Dwarves. I guess the human and swarven rings did something similar, but unless it says otherwise in the Silmarillion, it's unknown.

Silmarillion is basically Middle Earth bible, creation stories, epic trials and all.
Old 2013-12-17, 00:05   Link #442
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Fwiw some of the dwarven rings were taken by Sauron (he had three of them, I think?) and some were "consumed by dragons", iirc...

And also, directly relating to the tale of "The Hobbit"...

Spoiler for According to the books, mind you - haven't seen the movie... Heavy duty spoilers, though!:
Old 2013-12-17, 02:26   Link #443
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The epics of the Silmarillion are the battles between the High Elves and Sauron's boss. battles were there were armies of Balrogs and Dragons along side the orcs and goblins. Massive elven armies with human and sometimes dwarf allies.
Old 2013-12-17, 03:26   Link #444
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The epics of the Silmarillion are the battles between the High Elves and Sauron's boss. battles were there were armies of Balrogs and Dragons along side the orcs and goblins. Massive elven armies with human and sometimes dwarf allies.
Judging from the way they're trying to milk the franchise for all it's worth (3 "Hobbit"
movies?), I wonder if they'll make Silmarillion movies someday.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 03:37   Link #445
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The scope of the Silmarillion in term of timeframe is just too big for a movie series. There are few stories from the Silmarilion that can enjoy a movie adaptation tho. Beren & Luthien, Thurin Thurambar and Earendil are those that come in mind.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 06:18   Link #446
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Can't turn the entire Bible into one movie. Same goes for the Silmarillion.
Old 2013-12-17, 07:22   Link #447
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Have you ever tried swatting at a few gnats just buzzing around your head? It's kind of hard to hit any of them isn't it? Even with some sort of bug spray. Analogously, Smaug had a hard time "swatting" the bugs running around his nest. Plus, I am unclear were you saw Smaug getting "beaten up". Sure he was led into traps, but nothing the Dwarves did hurt him, in fact they only made him angrier which led him to deciding to destroy a town of innocent humans. If anything, the extended fight sequence merely showcased the extreme arrogance of both parties, ending with Smaug looking even more powerful than before.
Gnats can fly and can quickly go to high places u can’t reach. If you want a more fitting analogy, use cockroaches. I don’t have that much of a problem hitting multiple (2 or 3) cockroaches with just a magazine. Now imagine if I have a bug spray and there’s a group of cockroaches around me (like Smaug with his fire-breath and fat dwarfs around him). Even if they're hiding, I can still get them and it will be a slaughter-fest/genocide in no time . And Smaug is supposed to be a smart fella.

Spoiler for Ending of the movie:

All in all, my gripe is that Smaug is so much like a Bond villain. He kept talking and talking and talking of how great he is when his enemies was right in front of him. But when the time comes to prove what he said, he fell short. He couldn’t even kill one dwarf (or hobbit) out of a bunch who fought him, and he also fell to their tricks and traps rather easily. I don't even mentioned how the movie hypes him to hell. I simply don't like that kind of arch-villain. My memory of the book is quite fuzzy. Is that how Smaug was supposed to be? I can't remember.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-12-17 at 07:38.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 07:49   Link #448
Mr Hat and Clogs

From what I remember, sleeping in the mountain as he did for decades made him complacent, fat and soft after slaughtering a kingdom - he's a walking metaphor for greedy industrialists really. So while he could still talk the talk, he could no longer walk the walk. But like I said in an earlier post, it was his personality that was the focus in the books - his interactions with Bilbo were similar to Bilbos ones with Golum, from memory. Except I think Smaug could still see, or smell Bilbo while he was invisible with the ring while they were playing their game of cat and mouse (but that's not in the movie apparently?).
Old 2013-12-17, 08:08   Link #449
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
So while he could still talk the talk, he could no longer walk the walk.
Thanks for that confirmation. Now I understand where Smaug's NATO-ness comes from.

Quote:
Except I think Smaug could still see, or smell Bilbo while he was invisible with the ring while they were playing their game of cat and mouse (but that's not in the movie apparently?).
Don't worry. It's still there in the movie (to a certain degree, I think). Smaug can still smell Bilbo, but can't see him.
Old 2013-12-17, 10:06   Link #450
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Judging from the way they're trying to milk the franchise for all it's worth (3 "Hobbit"
movies?), I wonder if they'll make Silmarillion movies someday.
Waaa~y too many characters (and descendants thereof) and events to cram into one movie or trio thereof. It'd be like trying to condense the Bible's Genesis and Ancient Testament (which is what the Silmarillion basically is, for Tolkien's universe) into a series of flicks - it's not going to work without confusing the bejeezus out of the audience (especially those who aren't familiar with the Tolkienverse). Don't forget that the book practically covers three ages (from the creation of the Valar by Eru Illuvatar to the fall of Numenor and the forging of the Rings of Power), whereas LotR covered the last decade (I believe three or five years pass between Bilbo's farewell feast and Frodo's departure from the Shire) of the Third Age and the birth of the Fourth Age. See the challenge yet?

You'd be far better off making a TV series rather than movies.
Old 2014-04-04, 06:18   Link #451
Sammy388

Quote:
From what I remember, sleeping in the mountain as he did for decades made him complacent, fat and soft after slaughtering a kingdom - he's a walking metaphor for greedy industrialists really. So while he could still talk the talk, he could no longer walk the walk. But like I said in an earlier post, it was his personality that was the focus in the books - his interactions with Bilbo were similar to Bilbos ones with Golum, from memory. Except I think Smaug could still see, or smell Bilbo while he was invisible with the ring while they were playing their game of cat and mouse (but that's not in the movie apparently?).
I really enjoy your description of Smaug. I thought the movie portray him as proud but not nearly as lethargic as the book...
Sammy388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-29, 00:11   Link #452
killer3000ad

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Trailer for final film.
Old 2014-07-29, 01:27   Link #453
Mr Hat and Clogs

Nice, that looks awesome. Probably like 2hrs of fighting, with an hour to wrap things up. The battle should be pretty sweet.

Spoiler for from book:
Old 2014-07-29, 01:33   Link #454
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Nice pv to be sure! Was that Bilbo singing the song that Pippin sang in the LotR adaptations?

Spoiler for In rejoinder to the above observation:
Old 2014-07-29, 01:44   Link #455
Mr Hat and Clogs

Spoiler for cont:
Old 2014-07-29, 02:03   Link #456
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Spoiler for cont:
Ahhhh ... ok ... I see what you mean. Ignoble or "undramatic" vs. "awesome", then.

Well, let's see what part 3 of the movie does with it. Perhaps it will help "improve" in this aspect of things for you? ^^
Old 2014-07-29, 02:15   Link #457
Mr Hat and Clogs

Hopefully. I'm sure the scene will be quite interesting in the movie probably extended like the scene in the prior movie within the mountain, since they can't fill the *entire* movie with 5 Armies stuff, lol.
Old 2014-07-29, 02:21   Link #458
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is a lot of posturing, if I recall, between the dwarves, elves, and humans before the main event.

Plus that was one thing Tolkien tended to gloss over...the content of the battles.

Plus there is still all the stuff going on to the south with Gandalf, that really was only mentioned as an aside in the book. Another major battle that was more or less brushed off by Gandalf when he talks to Bilbo about it.
Old 2014-07-29, 03:14   Link #459
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There is a lot of posturing, if I recall, between the dwarves, elves, and humans before the main event.

Plus that was one thing Tolkien tended to gloss over...the content of the battles.

Plus there is still all the stuff going on to the south with Gandalf, that really was only mentioned as an aside in the book. Another major battle that was more or less brushed off by Gandalf when he talks to Bilbo about it.
Yeah, he probably didn't want to focus on it because it was suppose to be something his kids could read. So only in LotR did he go into serious warfare.
Old 2014-07-29, 09:13   Link #460
Xagzan

So it looks like they're still including the whole White Council/Dol Goldur side plot, yes? I hope?
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie