AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-07-16, 16:53   Link #21
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House Nį∞
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyono View Post
If encountering setbacks in your life counts as tragedy, then I want whatever lives you guys are living because apparently my life is pretty tragic. Or... OR encountering and overcoming setbacks is a completely normal part of life that everyone has to deal with, even if you're not a fictional character of an allegedly "dark" series. No, a "setback" means that you succeed eventually. Despair comes when your hope is betrayed and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no eventual victory.
You can't be seriously trying to compare the "setbacks" from the main cast of AMA with real life people, right? RIGHT?! It's like comparing being beaten with a pillow and a steel rod.

If the situations with Lapis and Kiseki are not setbacks in Takeru's life, what is then? Struggling for years to find a salvation for his sister, literally vomiting blood and killing people to find a trace of hope. And when he finally does find a way to save his sister, she goes nuts and spits on all his efforts and hope. This too, is a form of tragedy; even if Takeru will probably save Kiseki at the end.

Ikaruga losing Isuca; Nagare losing a leg; Kiseki going mad... this is all a form of tragedy. Although it can't be comparable with the deaths of mains characters, it still is. All the members from Small Fry Platoon have been living a tragic life, just because they're slightly better now by not being alone, or dying, doesn't mean the series is not dark.

Well, at the end, I think we'll have to agree in disagreeing. Our views of what can be considered dark seem to differ. Besides, this is not the place to discuss this, so I think it's better to stop before the mods come.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 18:22   Link #22
Corvo269

I wanna drop my 2 cents about the sword design. It IS LITERALLY the same design that's found on ascended short swords in the MMORPG game Guild Wars 2. I don't know anything about this light novel,not even when it started, but Guild Wars 2 was around since 2012
Corvo269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 18:43   Link #23
Zanfow

The second chapter reminded me of Eren " I will kill all the tita- i mean elves!"
Zanfow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 22:25   Link #24
dragon1412

I think that the problems here is the terms. You guys seem to equal dark= tragedy. Talking about the elements, i'd agree that with the settings, AMA is certainly considered a dark series., but i certainly won't classified it as a tragedy, there are some tragic element like what happened with Kiseki, but the story, at it's core, is not a tragedy. While let's compare to let's say, Fate/zero, that story could be classified as tragedy.
dragon1412 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 23:49   Link #25
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House Nį∞
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
I think that the problems here is the terms. You guys seem to equal dark= tragedy. Talking about the elements, i'd agree that with the settings, AMA is certainly considered a dark series., but i certainly won't classified it as a tragedy, there are some tragic element like what happened with Kiseki, but the story, at it's core, is not a tragedy. While let's compare to let's say, Fate/zero, that story could be classified as tragedy.
I, too, don't think that a series needs to have tragedy to be dark. But, since Hiyono thinks otherwise, I was just pointing out that AMA is not all sunshine and rainbows for the main characters. I do agree though that AMA is not tragedy at its core.

Anyway, I'm eagerly waiting for the next chapter. I want to see how both Ellis' and Imina's personality and relationship turned out. Me.Wants.More.Pics.Of.Eliss-tan.Too! She's too damn cute!
Old 2015-07-17, 00:30   Link #26
Pierre

To me a tragedy is on the level of akagme Kill or Mismarca Prince, especially the latter is probably the darkest tragedy I have seen.

But like other have said dark does not have to have tragedy, I consider Ubel Blatt dark, but not particularly tragic.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 11:14   Link #27
fiqramz

i like the story very much...
fiqramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 11:23   Link #28
Hokoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
To me a tragedy is on the level of akagme Kill or Mismarca Prince, especially the latter is probably the darkest tragedy I have seen.
It is?
I would imagine Akame ga Kill! is far more tragic than Mismarca Prince(I only read the manga version of Mismarca Prince).
Hokoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 12:06   Link #29
sasoras

Is dark the feeling you get as a reader, or merely the content?

AMA imo doesn't really feel dark at all, I literally never worry for any of the characters , the sub-characters dieing all over wouldn't even flinch me, as long as the main cast is fine.

AMA is pretty much fluffiness with a dark setting, the setting of the story is dark but the story telling imo is not.

Actually a better point would be what elements do you people think that makes a series dark?
The setting?, the death of the mc's loved one?, or just the fact they are involved in a war?, or just the past of the main cast?

Last edited by sasoras; 2015-08-06 at 12:42.
sasoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 13:39   Link #30
Zanfow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post
Is dark the feeling you get as a reader, or merely the content?

AMA imo doesn't really feel dark at all, I literally never worry for any of the characters , the sub-characters dieing all over wouldn't even flinch me, as long as the main cast is fine.

AMA is pretty much fluffiness with a dark setting, the setting of the story is dark but the story telling imo is not.

Actually a better point would be what elements do you people think that makes a series dark?
The setting?, the death of the mc's loved one?, or just the fact they are involved in a war?, or just the past of the main cast?
All of them? If you ask me i would consider each and every one of those pretty dark elements but what strikes me the most as dark is definitely the death of the mc's loved one.
Zanfow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 13:50   Link #31
sasoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanfow View Post
All of them? If you ask me i would consider each and every one of those pretty dark elements but what strikes me the most as dark is definitely the death of the mc's loved one.
But One Piece also has all those elements (well except the setting which really depends on which story ARC), and i wouldn't consider that series dark though.

Imo its less about dark elements and more about how the story is told, those dark elements existence in a story does not make it a dark series, otherwise the meaning behind it would becomes very loose and be able to be categorized into many other genres and unrelated series.

Last edited by sasoras; 2015-08-06 at 14:12.
Old 2015-08-06, 14:52   Link #32
Ophis
Dragon God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post
But One Piece also has all those elements (well except the setting which really depends on which story ARC), and i wouldn't consider that series dark though.

Imo its less about dark elements and more about how the story is told, those dark elements existence in a story does not make it a dark series, otherwise the meaning behind it would becomes very loose and be able to be categorized into many other genres and unrelated series.
Nobody dies in One Piece. The only ones to die so far has been Ace and Whitebeard.

A story being dark does not equal to tragedy and the death of main characters right and left. You people need to learn the difference between a story being dark and tragic. I blame most of this on Akame ga Kill, which has probably warped the view of most readers on what it truly means a story being dark.

I'm not going to start discussing this topic again, because it's annoying, but there's no denying that AMA is indeed dark. Not only the setting, but the mood too is somewhat dark. The main characters have been swimming in despair the whole series. What actually masks this is the fact that the author has an actual brain, and adds heartwarming moments too. He created a dark fantasy story without going full blow tragedy.
Old 2015-08-06, 17:08   Link #33
sasoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis View Post
Nobody dies in One Piece. The only ones to die so far has been Ace and Whitebeard.

A story being dark does not equal to tragedy and the death of main characters right and left. You people need to learn the difference between a story being dark and tragic. I blame most of this on Akame ga Kill, which has probably warped the view of most readers on what it truly means a story being dark.

I'm not going to start discussing this topic again, because it's annoying, but there's no denying that AMA is indeed dark. Not only the setting, but the mood too is somewhat dark. The main characters have been swimming in despair the whole series. What actually masks this is the fact that the author has an actual brain, and adds heartwarming moments too. He created a dark fantasy story without going full blow tragedy.
Think you quoted the wrong person as I never really mentioned tragedy, and ace dies is what really mattered as he is the Mc loved one.

No one is really talking bad about the author either ,well their are a few points I want to make, but w.e it's beside the main topic
Old 2015-08-06, 17:59   Link #34
erbrah

Quote:

Can you spoiler tag some key points which make this story dark?

So far, I just read his sister doesn't want to be saved, but don't know the context.
erbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 18:04   Link #35
Ophis
Dragon God

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbrah View Post
Can you spoiler tag some key points which make this story dark?

So far, I just read his sister doesn't want to be saved, but don't know the context.
Here is not really the place to ask for these kind of questions. There's a thread for AMA, you can go check there. Besides, all of the currently released volumes are translated in english, you can just go read it.
Old 2015-08-07, 21:08   Link #36
erbrah

Quote:
Here is not really the place to ask for these kind of questions. There's a thread for AMA, you can go check there. Besides, all of the currently released volumes are translated in english, you can just go read it.
Not sure what AMA is.

But I'm probably not going to read it, with this much information.
Old 2015-08-07, 21:11   Link #37
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Not sure what AMA is.

AMA= Anti magic Academy.
Old 2015-08-07, 21:27   Link #38
Ophis
Dragon God

Quote:
Not sure what AMA is.

Then don't read it. Why the hell are you asking for more information about it if you're not going to read?
Old 2015-08-07, 21:55   Link #39
erbrah

Quote:
Then don't read it. Why the hell are you asking for more information about it if you're not going to read?
Because I wanted to have a clue to how dark it is before I read it?

Brb let me read the novel series so I can spoil myself on why I shouldn't read it.
Old 2015-08-07, 22:09   Link #40
Ophis
Dragon God

Quote:
Because I wanted to have a clue to how dark it is before I read it?

Brb let me read the novel series so I can spoil myself on why I shouldn't read it.
That's why I said for you to go to the thread of AntiMagic Academy if you wanted to know more about it?

Besides, we already gave a lot of key points about how dark AMA here in this same thread. More than this and you're just asking for us to summarize the novel for you...

Tags
dark fantasy, my waifu, romance, seinen, tragedy