Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-21, 18:48   Link #1
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

How much money do LN/Manga writer make?

See topic ^

Like on a annual basis.

Also, how respected are they as a profession in Japan?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 18:59   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

Ever seen pictures of animation studios? They look like very shanty places.

So, in comparison, print authors... I doubt they make all that much.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 19:03   Link #3
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Well....if it's someone like Oda, Kubo or Kishi...they're probaly pretty well-off I'd imagine.

I think I read years ago that Rumiko Takasahi was one of the richest people in Japan.
Old 2013-03-21, 20:54   Link #4
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Ever seen pictures of animation studios? They look like very shanty places.

So, in comparison, print authors... I doubt they make all that much.
Successful authors make way more than anyone working in an animation studio. They're the real winners when a series takes off.

Oda earned nearly $25 million US in 2010. He's obviously a special case. Nevertheless, the royalty rate for a light novel/manga volume is 10%, plus there are royalties on every piece of merchandise that's sold.

OTOH, authors who never make it beyond serialization (or who fail to sell many books) don't make a whole lot.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 02:32   Link #5
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I wonder how much Kazuma "Oda of the Light Novel Industry" Kamachi earned during the past three years.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 04:34   Link #6
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Basically it's the same as any artist.

If you're super-duper-lucky and you make it big, you're a King.

If not well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I wonder how much Kazuma "Oda of the Light Novel Industry" Kamachi earned during the past three years.
I'm curious as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Also, how respected are they as a profession in Japan?
Authors refers to as sensei, along with artists, doctors and lawyers etc.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 13:08   Link #7
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Authors refers to as sensei, along with artists, doctors and lawyers etc.
I think that apply to China as well, of course, is Shi-Fu (In both sense a teacher and a master)

Of course
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 11:08   Link #8
Utsuro no Hako

I saw something a couple months back where Nico Tanigawa said on Twitter that mangaka receive about 100 yen (~$1) for every tankobon sold. The latest chapter of It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular announced the series has sold a million volumes so far, so Nico Tanigawa's making a nice living (at least as long as the series continues), but if you look at the sales figures on the bestseller lists ANN posts, moderately successful artists are probably lucky to afford a middle-class lifestyle once they pay their assistants, and the ones who don't make the bestseller lists at all ...
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 12:08   Link #9
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

These figures below are from manga sales only, and does not consider outside income such as character goods and other franchise income that comes from a successful launch of anime.

The average annual income of top 100 manga artist is said to be about 700k USD
The average annual income of 5200 manga artists who do not make the top 100 are said to be around 28k USD, less than the average of middle class salarymen. Obviously, the lower-figures are probably bringing the average down considerably. I'm sure if you're in the top 101~200, you still make well above 100k.

Oda Eiichiro is way above the norm, with nearly 15million USD just from manga sales.
But he's obviously an exception, the guy is completely peerless.
Old 2019-12-23, 05:37   Link #10
arthurnottheking

Manga or game adaptions are considered to offer comparatively small royalty payments. With anime adaptions you will get only a one-time licensing payment. According to the industry standards, if it's a book, then you may get 10% royalty per print. Digital sales usually have higher royalty, but different publishers have their own terms and conditions. I wonder about the conditions and guides how a Japanese writer can sell LN in the USA.

https://www.stevens.edu/academics/undergraduate-studies/writing-communications-center https://essaydune.com/write-my-paper/writingcooperative.com

Last edited by arthurnottheking; 2019-12-23 at 05:39. Reason: typos
arthurnottheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-25, 01:30   Link #11
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
These figures below are from manga sales only, and does not consider outside income such as character goods and other franchise income that comes from a successful launch of anime.

The average annual income of top 100 manga artist is said to be about 700k USD
The average annual income of 5200 manga artists who do not make the top 100 are said to be around 28k USD, less than the average of middle class salarymen. Obviously, the lower-figures are probably bringing the average down considerably. I'm sure if you're in the top 101~200, you still make well above 100k.

Oda Eiichiro is way above the norm, with nearly 15million USD just from manga sales.
But he's obviously an exception, the guy is completely peerless.
Hell that's more than the top 'distinguished engineers' make at Google.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 06:40   Link #12
dragon1412

it also depend a lot more on franchise as well though, they do make a big portions of the pay
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote