AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-09-19, 21:01   Link #1
Cyberius

Hello all!

Hello all! New to the forums here.

I'm looking for some suggestions for some new anime to watch. A few of my favorites I've watched recently are below.

Vandread
Dragonaut: The Resonance
Rosario+Vampire
Demon King Daimao
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Hero Tales
Angel Beats
This Ugly yet Beautiful World
Kaze No Stigma
Sekirei

I prefer dubs if possible - I have Hulu Plus and Netflix as I prefer to stream to my TV. I'm starting to watch Dance in the Vampire Bund right now and it seems kind of strange but is cool so far.

Any ideas for some new series to watch based on my examples above? I look forward to talking with you all!

Thanks
Cyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 21:04   Link #2
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

What are your preferences in genre? I would like to know that before i suggest any. That way, you get exactly what you want.
Old 2012-09-19, 21:07   Link #3
Cyberius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
What are your preferences in genre? I would like to know that before i suggest any. That way, you get exactly what you want.
I'm pretty flexible. Hoping to get some suggestions based on what I listed I guess fantasy, drama, sci-fi, would be my favorites.
Old 2012-09-20, 08:07   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

An excellent sci-fi show, though sadly with a considerably less than excellent dub, is Noein. Another show you may enjoy given that you liked Moribito is Twelve Kingdoms. It's on Netflix. While I own the DVDs I don't recall if I have ever listened to the dub.

One other show you might try is Baccano!. You can watch either version on Hulu. The English dub on this show gets pretty high marks even from the people here who mostly watch subs.

You might also give Claymore a try. It has a dub, but by watching it you'll miss out on hearing one of my favorite Japanese voice actresses, Kuwashima Houko, in the lead role. The ending is a bit muddled because they had to end the anime while the manga was (and is) still ongoing. That's a common problem for anime. The primary story in Twelve Kingdoms ends at episode 39; the story told over the last six episodes was hurriedly concluded when the novelist became seriously ill during shooting.

Finally, I'll suggest two shows on Sony's Crackle service, Nodame Cantabile and Kurozuka. I've listened a bit to both dubs, and while I would choose the native Japanese in both cases, the dubs are decent. My only objection, in the case of Nodame, is that they don't translate the on-screen texts.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-20 at 08:30.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 08:56   Link #5
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I don't know if you've seen these but here it goes.

Ahem:

Why don't you give Fate/Stay Night, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and DN Angel a shot if you're interested. They all have English dubs so no worries there.
Old 2012-09-20, 09:03   Link #6
EroKing

Since Daimaou and Sekirei are in your favorites list also give Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls a try
Old 2012-09-20, 19:47   Link #7
Cyberius

Awesome - thanks very much for the replies everyone I'm going to check these out. They all look like great recommendations.

Also, I'd never even heard of Crackle - very cool.
Old 2012-09-20, 20:03   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I forgot that Blood+ is also on Crackle with dubs. You should check that out, too. It's an offshoot of the movie Blood, the Last Vampire. I wouldn't call it a sequel as the Saya in the movie and the one here are quite different characters. Despite having some issues with the television show, I liked it better than the film.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 22:37   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'd suggest checking out Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Crest of the Stars, Chrono Crusade, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 06:20   Link #10
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
One other show you might try is Baccano!. You can watch either version on Hulu. The English dub on this show gets pretty high marks even from the people here who mostly watch subs.
I will second this. The story and characters are great and it has a dub which personally I think is better then watching it with subtitles. I personally prefer Subs but not to as much of an extent as most people on this forum. I believe the Baccano! dub outshines its predecessor by far.