AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-18, 12:37   Link #22981
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's a stupid argument anyway. Technically, they're also fighting for the right of heterosexuals to marry the same gender. Sure, it's not going to be a very useful right, but the conservatives are always pointing out that homosexuals have the right to marry the opposite gender like it's supposed to make everything alright.
Old 2012-08-18, 13:44   Link #22982
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's a stupid argument anyway. Technically, they're also fighting for the right of heterosexuals to marry the same gender. Sure, it's not going to be a very useful right, but the conservatives are always pointing out that homosexuals have the right to marry the opposite gender like it's supposed to make everything alright.
actually we battling for the right of SaintHeart to marry his Android Catgirl in the future.
Old 2012-08-18, 13:47   Link #22983
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
For anyone who actually believes that gay parades (and other similar events) shouldn't be held because it's a nuisance:
And I'm one to say that's a load of fearmongering when applied to a country that does not actively suppress people.
Old 2012-08-18, 15:37   Link #22984
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China protests over plans by Japanese group to visit near disputed islands
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87H03P20120818

Violence in Muslim region disturbs Russian "ant-hill" sect
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87G0CO20120817
Old 2012-08-18, 18:46   Link #22985
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
And I'm one to say that's a load of fearmongering when applied to a country that does not actively suppress people.
This did start with the Pussy Riot news... you know that band that sang a song at a cathedral to piss off the church and got 2 years of jailtime because of it? Yeah, clearly there's nothing to fear there
Old 2012-08-18, 18:52   Link #22986
Zakoo

It's not jail, it's >goulag<.
Old 2012-08-18, 19:15   Link #22987
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends. Things may have changed in Russia in the last 70 years aside from the fall of the Soviet Union.
Old 2012-08-18, 20:04   Link #22988
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I've noticed an opinion that comes up from time to time when various groups call for civil rights in America at least. "More rights"

The conservatives tend to be the ones that see homosexuals or ethnic groups in the recent decade (Not back in the 60s) as "wanting more rights than the rest of us to feel special". This is the argumnt I tend to get because in conservative logic "They already have all the rights I have...why should they get more rights? What makes them superior to warrent more rights than anyone else in this country?"

At least that is how it tends to be presented by the non-religious conservatives.
Its called being factually challenged, logically handicapped, hateful of the different, and .... as Foghorn Leghorn says, "they're about as sharp as a sack full of wet mice".
They're also either lying about being "non-religious", they're pandering, or they're just viscerally feeling icky about the idea.
Old 2012-08-18, 22:15   Link #22989
Ridwan

Juan Cole has just written article on the Pussy Riot case. Interestingly, he points out its distant correlation with the ongoing Syrian Crisis.

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-08-18 at 22:55.
Old 2012-08-18, 23:17   Link #22990
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I agree. Scientists and engineers are not better people, maybe a bit more intelligent on average than most other academics. However intelligence is no substitute for wisdom, which is a rare quality anywhere.

I do think politics could benefit from a wider pool of different backgrounds like scientists and engineers. Law, political science and business currently dominate the political scene which creates a too narrow field of expertise. Widening the base can remove some of the blind spots. Politicians often look completely out of their depth when complex issues in regard to technology or economics are involved.
There's a big difference in training between scientists and lawyers. Scientists are trained to think critically, make decisions based off of data, and be skeptical of damn near everything. Lawyers - from what I can tell - are trained in the art of persuasion, maneuvering around human-designed rules and regulations in an effort to prove their point and get what they want.

Of course, I've met my fair share of scientists who did not think critically and who did not analyze data with an open mind. I'm sure there are plenty of lawyers who would be capable of doing that. Generalizations can only go so far.
Old 2012-08-19, 08:25   Link #22991
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Hmm, I think Law is more about consistency, precedent and justice. Yes there are lawyers out there who are just in it to twist the rules for fun (and profit!), but I think they're just a highly visible minority.
Old 2012-08-20, 01:08   Link #22992
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Film director Tony Scott dead:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ott-death.html

Terrible news. I never thought he'd commit suicide.

I sure love a number of his films, especially Top Gun and Crimson Tide which are cult movies for me. We'll surely miss his ability to direct entertaining movies.
Old 2012-08-20, 03:52   Link #22993
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

RIP
That's like absolutely crazy way to go.
I loved the movie True Romance
Old 2012-08-20, 06:12   Link #22994
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Republican Senate Nominee Explains That Women Don’t Really Get Pregnant From ‘Legitimate Rape’

-facepalm- The man had to say something idiotic in a sensitive issue did he? Now he's trying to save face by claiming "i misspoke".

Meanwhile in Russia

Madonna Sued for Supporting the Gays in Russia
Old 2012-08-20, 07:47   Link #22995
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

"supporting gays is illegal"

And they have the audacity to reply "Modern civilization requires tolerance and respect for different values."

What a joke.
Old 2012-08-20, 09:07   Link #22996
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Film director Tony Scott dead:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ott-death.html

Terrible news. I never thought he'd commit suicide.

I sure love a number of his films, especially Top Gun and Crimson Tide which are cult movies for me. We'll surely miss his ability to direct entertaining movies.
It was truly a shock. Both brothers have been so successful professionally, I can't imagine why he'd want to go like that except for personal reasons. A terrible day for Hollywood indeed.
Old 2012-08-20, 11:13   Link #22997
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
It was truly a shock. Both brothers have been so successful professionally, I can't imagine why he'd want to go like that except for personal reasons. A terrible day for Hollywood indeed.
Hopefully we'll learn some details of his suicide note, and so shed some more light on the matter.
Old 2012-08-20, 11:25   Link #22998
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
People don't usually "misspeak", they say what they really think and then try to backtrack. This jackass obviously failed the sciences.
Old 2012-08-20, 11:31   Link #22999
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
People don't usually "misspeak", they say what they really think and then try to backtrack. This jackass obviously failed the sciences.
he is on the House Science and Tech Committee.

See Vexx, this is why you need to run. The people will take back congress one seat at a time.
Old 2012-08-20, 11:34   Link #23000
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Hopefully we'll learn some details of his suicide note, and so shed some more light on the matter.
It remains yet to be confirmed. However according to ABC News, he was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international