AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-06, 13:07   Link #81
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

I guess I'm just not expecting much from this series. For me, it's more of a comic relief than anything else. I just don't expect anything deep to come out of it. W Wish would be the deeper of the two shows in my opinion.
Shiorichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 22:19   Link #82
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Well, episode 6 is were it gets slightly serious.

Spoiler:

Well, looks like this series is picking up.

BTW: The Princess hour segment at the beginning of the RAW was pretty interesting.
Old 2004-11-12, 02:18   Link #83
TrueKnight

This show is awesome. From the first 4 eps the jokes are simply hilarious. Though I really hated the over used "oni-chan" saga in recent animes, this show is ok I guess.

Imo, this thing is better than recent harem shows out there, let's just say, Wind Breath of Heart, W-Wish, the show where there's a girl from the future, and also Kyakuusei 2. But a bit of the same tier as Futakoi

Haru is cool and funny. I hope there's more of him in later eps. and his relation with his girl too. Go TEH-I-AM-ALMIGHTY-BISHOUNEN-DRAGON-MAN! His quotes really cracks me up

I really hope Ryo will hook up with Emi-rin, too bad he's doomed with Shizuka or probably Akane. Besides, I think that the story will progress into something unoriginal, like Shizuka had known Ryo from several years back, or craps like that.

Anyways kudos to Froth-Bite for bringing this awesome series.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 21:29   Link #84
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

BTW Ep 6 just got released.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 22:43   Link #85
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I don't know what Princess Soft is thinking. In episode 7 it's almost as if Emiho and Ryo aren't even dating. All of the possible tension that could have been developed in episodes 5, 6, and 7 have been has been thrown out the window.

Spoiler:

Old 2004-11-15, 23:05   Link #86
KoopaTroopa

I just watched Episode 6. I'm starting to hate Ryo for treating Shizuka so crappy. Ryo reminds me of Takeya from DearS for treating Ren so badly, but he came around at the end....so I might like Ryo in the end. Nothing against Ojo, but I like Shizuka...hopefully Akane will yell at Ryo to make him feel bad or Akane will be upset at him, making him feel even worse. Akane needs more of a presence in this series, she's the cutest one in there.
KoopaTroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 23:46   Link #87
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-15, 23:55   Link #88
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaTroopa
I just watched Episode 6. I'm starting to hate Ryo for treating Shizuka so crappy. Ryo reminds me of Takeya from DearS for treating Ren so badly, but he came around at the end....so I might like Ryo in the end. Nothing against Ojo, but I like Shizuka...hopefully Akane will yell at Ryo to make him feel bad or Akane will be upset at him, making him feel even worse. Akane needs more of a presence in this series, she's the cutest one in there.
I have to disagree with you. I think Shizuka deserves to be yelled by Ryo. Shizuka is overstepping her bounds as a "house wife". Seriously, monitoring Ryo's every move and invading every sense of his (and others) privacy? No. Just "helping her fiancé" does not justify that. I would never marry/accept a wife as over-"caring" as Shizuka. Would you? Frankly, I grasp the (faint) hope Ryo would end up with anyone BUT Shizuka. Anyways, I felt that the ending voice over by Shizuka sort of killed the mood of the episode. I mean, it was getting pretty serious and emotional in the ending and all of a sudden her voice over comes along and jokes around. Should of ended silently. Would've had a greater effect.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 23:57   Link #89
Sokar

Just watched EP6, and I respectfully disagree with KoopaTroopa. I think the things that Shizuka did were pretty bad, and Ryo ignoring her was harsh but fair. I mean, what else can Ryo do to punish her.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 00:14   Link #90
KoopaTroopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar
Just watched EP6, and I respectfully disagree with KoopaTroopa. I think the things that Shizuka did were pretty bad, and Ryo ignoring her was harsh but fair. I mean, what else can Ryo do to punish her.
I'm not agreeing with her methods, but something about her makes me root for her over Ojo. If a girl did that me, I'd go psycho too. But she does do positive things for him, like the umbrella, bentos, and just being there in a way somehow. I didn't like Ryo from the beginning that much anyway, but is slowly growing on me in a positive light.
Old 2004-11-16, 00:36   Link #91
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I know I haven't voiced my opinion much on this issue, but I would definitely have to agree with Muir Woods. That was a complete invasion of privacy (although it's not like that's never being violated) and personally, I would be very disturbed by that sort of action. I probably would have done the same thing Ryo did. If I woke up one day and found out I had been forced into a marriage (and I want to tell myself "no matter how beautiful that girl is") like that, I would behave in a similar way as Ryo. Especially if that said person intruded on your social life, your private life, and also caused you some bodily harm.

I'm not trying to take this too seriously. We all understand that this is entertainment, and a comedy at that, but damn, I agreed with Ryo's stance. He's been put in a tough position, and none of this friends support his views, NO ONE.
Old 2004-11-16, 02:07   Link #92
JokerD

Spoiler:

Shizuka did some pretty bad things, let's see, putting a bomb on Ryo's head, spiking the soup, disturbing Ryo's place of work and spying on Ryo and Emiho. I wonder if her airhead-ness is an act or is she hiding something up her sleeve.

*sigh* Seems like Ryo will end up with her anyway, sad case man.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 08:46   Link #93
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

I'm in the, "Shizuka is a twit" group. Well, I like her, but I like Ojo more. She's just quiet and softspoken, for the most part. Being female, I would inflict serious amounts of harm upon myself if I was ever like Shizuka. Phew. She really crossed that fine line. I watched episode 6 three times, and I still like Ojo more. We'll see what happens in 7. ^^
Shiorichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 09:13   Link #94
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar
Spoiler:
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 10:37   Link #95
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
While I agree about Ryo possibly overreacting, and quite quickly, but I see couple more points. If someone is extremely upset, it's easy for anyone to act quickly, and go to extreme. Most of us have some kind of common sense to control that rage, and that's a good thing ^^;
Also, this show is a commedy. And in a commedy, things need to be exaggerated. I really think it's all just a part of set up for the grand finale of great laughter. Make the mood bad in the middle (Yes, we're almost half way through the show), and bring in some unexpected happy ending, and these gloomy episodes will help the ending even happier.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 12:42   Link #96
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Hmmm Happy ending for Final Approach.

Shizuka is a guy and he's really going to Marry Akane?
That way Ryo gets a pick of his harem. /lol
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 12:47   Link #97
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

The only ending that will be happy for me is that Ryo never wavers from his views, and in the end Shizuka leaves... It doesn't matter who he ends up with after that, I would consider that my happy ending.

Of course, we all know that that is but a dream, and the cold reality awaits me.
Old 2004-11-17, 00:57   Link #98
Malcolm50K
The mad scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Spoiler:
I think Ryo's reaction is not so much an explosion over this one event but rather a release of frustrations that have been building up over the last few episodes.

First, Shizuka has forcibly inserted herself into his life. She has invaded his apartment, his privacy, his modesty (bath scene) and probably worst of all, his circle of friends and relations. She does this blatantly, without any real apologies or consideration, and she does it in front of a chorus of goons, which probably adds to his embarassment, and he is powerless to stop it. In return, he learns nothing of her. He hasn't met any friends or family, and knows nothing about her. It has to be frustrating and demeaning to not be able to defend your privacy and libertes.

Second, he probably feels very outclassed and inadequate. Shizuka has looks and political power. She has a small army of goons to serve her, a limo, access to an impressive array of intelligence and military gadgets, and presumably government backing. She has the sympathy of his friends and his sister seems to be siding with her. If he feels powerless and helpless, he will be more inclined to snarl and snap.

Third, no one seems to care much, not even his sister. What may be worst of all, and Ryo may not even realize this on a concious level, Shizuka does not seem to care, not really. She is very much into being the "perfect wife" and having him accept her, but she does not seem to suffer any emotional damage from Ryo dating Ojo. She has no skin in the game, even if she is killing herself trying to be the "perfect wife". At the very best, she does not feel in the least threatened by his relationship with Ojo, as if it really didn't matter, and at the worst she does not care as long as Ryo is the warm body filling the role of husband.

I think Ryo pretending Shizuka does not exist actually does their relationship some good.

For Ryo, its a victory of sorts. Once he calms down, or has a third party work on him to get him thinking, he's in a position where he can consider his relationship with Shizuka without feeling its being forced on him. He needs to get the upper hand at least for a while to feel safe enough to even consider accepting her. It also gives him a chance to give her something without feeling like its being taken from him (see ep. 7).

For Shizuka, I think this is the first time she realizes that things just might not turn out the way she wants them to, no matter how much effort she puts out or how many goons she has waiting in the wings. I'm not sure she understands why she's being relegated to the status of furniture, but she has started to doubt herself and ask "Why am I not being accepted? Is there something wrong with *me*?" Before this, I think it was more "What's wrong with him?" She also asks for something in Ep. 7 without arranging the result ahead of time, or assuming a yes.

The animators seem to want to make Ryo seem a bit cruel to her. They are painting him as an ungratefull stray who is too scared to accept offered kindness (you'll understand what I mean in episode 7). He is, in a way, but one must keep in mind that Ryo is being treated like a stray and not a human.

I suppose in an anime where the practice of arranged marriage is a central issue, the animators can aim to either protest them, or to make the audience try to feel they aren't all that bad. It seems we are on the second path.
Malcolm50K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 22:32   Link #99
KoopaTroopa

Just watched Episode 7, now it's turning the way I like
Best parts of the episode are with Ryo and Miki (brown haired girl), you'll know if you watch it. I liked the ending of the episode.
Old 2004-11-18, 23:39   Link #100
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

...Miki has blonde hair in my eyes.

Anyway... I didn't enjoy episode 7 very much, as JokerD said, it seems to be designed to get Shizuka sympathy votes. I don't buy it at all.

We have every single person that Ryo trusts side with Shizuka (maybe not Emiho... but she didn't say jack for either side). Everyone is telling Ryo to see the real Shizuka... but Shizuka has never been forthcoming with revealing her true self, unless she really is that brainwashed. I fear that if Ryo ever asked personal questions she'd respond like a drone...

Tags
bishoujo, comedy, drama, princess soft, romance, zexcs