AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-17, 05:05   Link #901
mg1942

We can all thank Australia for this new technology...
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Se...copyrouter.pdf

MSNBC online special (related to the link above)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27198621/
http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/10/deep-down-most.html
Old 2008-10-17, 21:55   Link #902
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that will teach people to buy adult manga, just download like the rest of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post
Yeah its a bit risky ordering content that contains lolicon in it these days.

I suspect that Fed-EX/UPS/USPS are now doing very deep inspections than allowed on anything 'manga-industrial-complex' Especially when that Iowa case surfaced.
Old 2008-10-18, 11:10   Link #903
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

'We need slaves to build monuments'

I read this very interesting article about modern day slaves being used to build the many architectural splendors of Dubai:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...t.construction
I lived in Dubai for 8 years before it became the large tourist city it is and even then I witnessed many of the things that were stated in this article. In many cases all you have to do is drive an hour away from Dubai to witness some of these labour camps and impoverished villages.
Old 2008-10-18, 11:58   Link #904
mg1942

I saw that article on gizmodo.
Old 2008-10-18, 17:20   Link #905
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
I saw that article on gizmodo.
Yeah, that's where I first saw it, but I thought it might be better to link right to the news article.
Old 2008-10-24, 17:01   Link #906
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,443971,00.html

An Antarctic mountain range that rivals the Alps in elevation will be probed this month by an expedition of scientists using airborne radar and other Information Age tools to virtually "peel away" more than 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) of ice covering the peaks.
One of the mysteries of the mountain range is that current evidence suggests that it "shouldn't be there" at all.
The researchers hope to find answers there to some basic questions about the nature of the southernmost continent, including the massive East Antarctic Ice Sheet.
Scientist
Antarctica
Mysterious mountains

Anyone else getting a bad feeling about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_...ins_of_Madness

hopefully they don't wake something up.
Old 2008-10-24, 17:05   Link #907
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Scientist
Antarctica
Mysterious mountains

Anyone else getting a bad feeling about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_...ins_of_Madness

hopefully they don't wake something up.
Indeed there does seem to be many similarities.

Here is a site with some studies about transantarctic mountain ranges.

http://www.livescience.com/environme...mountains.html
Old 2008-10-24, 17:23   Link #908
Shadow Kira01

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...lunar-craters/

Not sure what the scientists are thinking. Why would there be skating rinks on a man-made sphere known as the moon? In fact, it would be more unusual to discover icy patches in lunar craters.
Old 2008-10-27, 23:02   Link #909
FateAnomaly

I don't know what you are trying to say but the way you say it seems to suggest that the moon is man-made.
Old 2008-10-28, 00:54   Link #910
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Amero, the new Dollar Hoax

Please check this video and coment,

Would be this true?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00958565&hl=es
Old 2008-10-28, 01:08   Link #911
4Tran

Ick. Not this nonsense again... There isn't the slightest shred of credibility to the claim of some sort of North American Union, and the only people who buy into such an idea are batty Americans.

The facts are: neither Canada or the U.S. (and presumably Mexico as well) have the slightest interest in such a union, and it's in the interests of none of these countries to have a single currency. Moreover, the sheer size of the coin is an obvious giveaway that it isn't real - a high-denomination coin like that is a horribly impractical idea, and it's even sillier to make a huge low-denomination coin. Everything about that video smells about as real as that Bigfoot that those goofballs shot a couple of months back.

Now, is there any more compelling evidence than this, or should I simply lock this thread?
Old 2008-10-28, 01:17   Link #912
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I just though taht this place was the best to get me out of the doubt, don't see why it was bad to ask

You can close the thread if you want, you'r a mod after all and if you think that this must be closed,okay, there is no problem with me, I'll asept your decition
Old 2008-10-28, 01:22   Link #913
4Tran

It's not a question of whether I want it closed, I'm more wondering if you can see a reason to keep it open and if there's anything corroborating this nonsense. By the way, the events of the financial crisis show precisely how silly his pet theory was.
Old 2008-10-28, 01:24   Link #914
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Then close it

It was just that I live in Mexico and I get a bit scared, but I think you helped me out, plus my grandfather who is very in in politic themes, also told me that it was ridiculous

Sorry for ask

Last edited by Evil Rick; 2008-10-28 at 01:37.
Old 2008-10-28, 01:49   Link #915
escimo
Paparazzi

Talking about exchanging dollars to French francs gave it a credibility boost.
Personally I'd vote against exchanging valid currency to an obsolete one.

Shit hits the fan and the conspiracy theorists go into overdrive.
Old 2008-10-28, 01:54   Link #916
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'll post some pics in a moment.

Thumbnailed for size.

Real? Dunno. Coins can be printed in more places than just the Treasury.
Old 2008-10-28, 02:09   Link #917
XenophunK
INACTIVITY

Send a message via MSN to XenophunK
>Amero

i'm tempted to boycott, it should be a name agreed on between whoever it is, etc
Old 2008-10-28, 02:25   Link #918
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Talking about exchanging dollars to French francs gave it a credibility boost.
Personally I'd vote against exchanging valid currency to an obsolete one.

Shit hits the fan and the conspiracy theorists go into overdrive.
This video was posted in August 2008, so it was before the banks went nuts. It's also a reiteration in video form of the same kind of stuff this Hal guy was going on about earlier in the year. For some reason, he managed to learn some economic buzzwords, but he never educated himself as to why his little theory made absolutely no economic sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Real? Dunno. Coins can be printed in more places than just the Treasury.
Think of it this way, people can make chocolate coins as well. This thing looks just like one of them. It's an obvious fake. (I do admit that the fasces are a nice touch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenophunK View Post
>Amero

i'm tempted to boycott, it should be a name agreed on between whoever it is, etc
It's a fake coin, so you can call it whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Then close it

It was just that I live in Mexico and I get a bit scared, but I think you helped me out, plus my grandfather who is very in in politic themes, also told me that it was ridiculous

Sorry for ask
It's not a problem. You just need to build a better BS filter. I suggest reading up skeptical literature to build up your tolerance (I cut my teeth on Skeptical Inquirer ages ago). Another good bet is to run suspicious stuff through the Snopes test. This is what I managed to find: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/amero.asp. Do note that not every hoax gets written up, so it's a good idea to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism.

Here's a better picture of the famous Amero: http://www.snopes.com/politics/graphics/amero.jpg
Heck, you can buy some right now: http://www.designscomputed.com/coins...rency_list.htm. The silver ones look very cool.

You know what, this thread is instructive enough that I'll leave it open.
Old 2008-10-28, 03:08   Link #919
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
This video was posted in August 2008, so it was before the banks went nuts. It's also a reiteration in video form of the same kind of stuff this Hal guy was going on about earlier in the year. For some reason, he managed to learn some economic buzzwords, but he never educated himself as to why his little theory made absolutely no economic sense.
Well... that solves it then.

Not much to go on...

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-10-28, 03:11   Link #920
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Hey, chocolate coins are good value for the money. ^^ Mmm, chocolate.

But yeah. My whole take on conspiracy theories is that every story has some truth to it. How the story is spun around the truth makes all the difference. Those 9/11 videos are a great example. Some use a little bit of critical thinking but run just shy of something tangible to prove, others are just way out there and are great for comedic value.

The dollar isn't going anywhere. It's a centuries old currency that's gone from worthless to desired to worthless and back again....it's just a cycle. These theories prey on the fears people have, which while certainly grounded in true scares just need some critical thinking applied to them.

Is an Amero (or some version) down the pipeline? Most likely, yes. As globalization increases, there will be a need to start whittling down the number of currencies used, just like languages have been slowly consolidating. Will it be because a shadow government desires it? No.

On the other hand, while we be seeing the rise of more Unions like the EU? Will America give up it's sovereignty? Don't hold your breath. That future, if it ever comes, is so long off that it's best left to the realm of science fiction. Right now, it's best to look at the EU as an experiment. Time will tell if it was a good idea or a bad one.

Was there ever a "real" truth to 9/11? No. And you can file it with Roswell and Kennedy as mysteries that will never have enough answers to satisfy everyone.

There's certainly enough circumstantial evidence that there's something wrong that requires investigation, in many aspects of what the Governments do. But the answers don't come from making wild theories and trying to gain "underground" support. They come from forming a powerful base of critical thinkers willing to hammer at the weak links in what they're told to believe and accept.

If you ever notice, many of these conspiracy theories follow closely with religious propaganda (I hate to use the word extremist since that's tossed around so carelessly these days). That's something to ponder, if you're willing to deal with some uncomfortable soul searching.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international