AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-02-21, 12:31   Link #61
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, things just went crazy in a single ep. Not often you see a shounen with this kind of content. While Tademaru presents it as a consensual arrangement, that guy has "unreliable narrator" written all over him. The guy's a total monster indeed, and frankly it's impressive that Shiki's as stable as he is after witnessing something like that. TBH, I don't think any punishment is harsh enough for a crime like this.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 16:03   Link #62
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm a bit puzzled about the process. Who or what ultimately became capable of creating the golden silk? Did Shiki's mom give birth to a kemono with this ability after being artificially inseminated repeatedly? If so, how long were the pregnancies? How come she never appeared pregnant enough for Shiki to notice throughout this period and remember today?

Alternatively, these experiments may have transformed Shiki's kemono mother into an arachnid monster capable of spinning golden threads.

Or other interpretations. I'm open to more ideas.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 16:11   Link #63
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, they may have skipped a bit, I'll have to check the manga to see if it was stated at this point or shortly afterward. The short of it is that kemono have extremely short gestations, like maybe a month or two. As such, it was entirely possible to try over and over again with one creature after another to produce a hybrid whose thread has the right properties. So yeah, Shiki's mother was forcefully impregnated with just about every kind of creature/kemono the guy could find to identify the combination that would make the "golden silk" he wanted.
Old 2021-02-21, 16:36   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shiki's mother seemed to participate in this process of her own free will, so I'm not sure the adverb "forcefully" applies here. Earlier you described these events as a "crime" which I also think oversimplifies the situation. Both the uncle and the mother were willing adults which, if anything, makes the situation more horrible, especially from Shiki's point of view. His mother wasn't only being abused by his uncle; she was cooperating with her abuser. It would be hard for Shiki to admit this truth when he holds that strong maternal image of his mother with him being held in her arms.
Old 2021-02-21, 16:56   Link #65
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Shiki's mother seemed to participate in this process of her own free will, so I'm not sure the adverb "forcefully" applies here. Earlier you described these events as a "crime" which I also think oversimplifies the situation. Both the uncle and the mother were willing adults which, if anything, makes the situation more horrible, especially from Shiki's point of view. His mother wasn't only being abused by his uncle; she was cooperating with her abuser. It would be hard for Shiki to admit this truth when he holds that strong maternal image of his mother with him being held in her arms.
Thing is that, as I also said earlier, we're going from the uncle's word and he just screams "unreliable narrator". True, it's hard to say whether it was actually forceful or sometimes done by force; I could easily believe that she agreed to the arrangement for her son. However, she was in a position of dependence toward the uncle due to needing her half-human son to have access to human facilities and medicine. If she felt she had to depend on him for such things then she really had to do whatever he "asked" her to do. Not to mention that her being chained down certainly suggests that it wasn't always consensual, and that her and her son never being able to meet gives some more really bad vibes. But yeah, at the very least the arrangement was quite abusive.
Old 2021-02-21, 17:34   Link #66
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
The other day I wrote on MAL that Horimiya might be my favorite show of the season, and then we get this week's little masterpiece. I'm often not a fan of stories about megalomaniacs because they can feel trite,* but Kemono Jihen makes this story real and powerful. (At least as real as a story about kemono can be.) I don't know what fate has in store for the uncle, but a clean execution seems rather unlikely.
Im there with you on these two shows Sensei, but give Kai Byoui Ramune a chance if you havent already. The latest episode may have been my favorite from any series this season, though the KJ premiere is right there.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 18:05   Link #67
leongsh
Daijoubu!

By the end of the episode, we have an understanding of what the story is with regards to Shiki's mother but this is not the full nor the end of it. We still have a spider kemono calling out to Shiki and stalking him (presumably the mother). Wait, there's more to it. There's that little girl at the souvenir store that stared at Shiki. Probably his half-sister and if the cross-hybridisation to get that golden web was said by the uncle to be successful, that could probably mean that either that little girl is the source or the by-product of it with Shiki's mother now being able to produce that golden web. Looking forward to the next episode.

Other than that, Nobimaru stalking of Kabane may be getting a bit too ahead. The way Nobimaru talks with Kabane looks, sounds, and feels like Nobimaru is flirting with Kabane but Kabane is so much a straight arrow that he either does not realise it or just careful since Nobimaru's way with words is mine-laden.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 18:41   Link #68
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Im there with you on these two shows Sensei, but give Kai Byoui Ramune a chance if you havent already. The latest episode may have been my favorite from any series this season, though the KJ premiere is right there.
I started watching Ramune based on reading your blog, and I'm now up to date. I agree with you that Ramune and Heaven's Design Team are by far the most underappreciated shows in the current season. I haven't read the Ramune thread here yet, though I will soon.
Old 2021-02-21, 19:19   Link #69
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

This show would have been my #1 in any of last year's seasons, but this season is so packed that it's only my #3 (behind Wonder Egg Priority and Yuru Camp 2). And Ramune is #5, behind Otherside Picnic. We're getting an embarrassment of anime riches these days.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 21:56   Link #70
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Wer Kon?

The glasses guy is completely disgusting. I know, based on his story, she willingly agreed to the arrangement, but I'm with BWTraveller in thinking that he's giving the story under some kind of delusion that Kumi cooperated with him, when the truth is anything but. There's also the fact that the guy intentionally manipulated her so he can get that silk. Its also hard to believe that she continued the experiments even after she was starting to break down. You see how he was acting at the end; dude would have killed if that's what it took to get the silk. I wouldn't be surprised if Tademaru killed Shiki's father in that "accident" because he wouldn't allow Tademaru to perform his crazy experiments.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-22, 11:00   Link #71
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Not to mention that her being chained down certainly suggests that it wasn't always consensual
I thought the chains might have been used to protect her from injuring herself during the painful process of giving birth to a monster.
Old 2021-02-22, 13:05   Link #72
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
I thought the chains might have been used to protect her from injuring herself during the painful process of giving birth to a monster.
From the look of it, she wasn't giving birth at that point, she was being impregnated by a monster while chained to the bed. Kemono don't give birth the moment they're impregnated, it takes like a month or something like that, so she most likely wouldn't have a creature on top of her during the birthing process.
Old 2021-02-22, 14:55   Link #73
foxbox360
New Age Badass

dude just another Shou Tucker.
Old 2021-02-23, 09:01   Link #74
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
From the look of it, she wasn't giving birth at that point, she was being impregnated by a monster while chained to the bed. Kemono don't give birth the moment they're impregnated, it takes like a month or something like that, so she most likely wouldn't have a creature on top of her during the birthing process.
I thought they used artificial insemination. I don't think she had intercourse with monsters.
Old 2021-02-23, 09:46   Link #75
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I think its a question of whether things fit. If natural insemination isnt possible then they have that as a backup. But its just strange to have a monster mounting her if shes giving birth.
Old 2021-02-28, 12:00   Link #76
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'd forgotten just how many siblings Shiki had. Kind of shows just how fast Kemono gestation is that over at most ten years she'd apparently given birth to upwards of a hundred children with different fathers. And that doesn't even put an end to his depravity, with his intent to eventually use her to make tons of little girls just like Aya to mass-produce his "golden thread".

I thought it was pretty funny how Nobimaru sarcastically asks for help before giving up and incinerating everything near him with a single snap of his finger. Dude is scary powerful. And it's kind of a given he wouldn't let Akio live.

Well, arc's over and we're back home. Hopefully that means next week we get more Kon!
Old 2021-02-28, 20:15   Link #77
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
I'd forgotten just how many siblings Shiki had. Kind of shows just how fast Kemono gestation is that over at most ten years she'd apparently given birth to upwards of a hundred children with different fathers. And that doesn't even put an end to his depravity, with his intent to eventually use her to make tons of little girls just like Aya to mass-produce his "golden thread".
Yeah, that was pretty sickening . I can't imagine the thought process she must've felt as she approached the 100th mark. She might have been forced against her will by that point, but even if she wasn't, Tademaru is a disgusting person to continue the experiments. I was actually hoping for a little torture(arm break, knock out teeth, etc.) to shut his rants up, if not by Shiki, by Kabane, but oh well....

Quote:
I thought it was pretty funny how Nobimaru sarcastically asks for help before giving up and incinerating everything near him with a single snap of his finger. Dude is scary powerful. And it's kind of a given he wouldn't let Akio live.

Well, arc's over and we're back home. Hopefully that means next week we get more Kon!
I think Tademaru got off too easy with a quick death. I guess killing him would be the best way, as he was still intent on doing more experiments, but it still feels like Shiki had the right idea. Tademaru is only human and I doubt it would have been easy to procure any type of Kemono with only his abilities. Killing him kinda gives him a "free pass", as he won't have to experience the things Shiki intended for him to experience(being a nobody).

And doesn't feel like its completely over, as they still have to wake Kumi up. Other than that, yeah, hope we get more Kon next week. Can't have her gone too long or I'll die of cuteness drought .

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-01, 06:13   Link #78
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This series is Kuroneko Yamato. Always delivers.
Old 2021-03-01, 09:24   Link #79
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Now that's an obscure reference for those of us who don't live in Japan.

https://japantoday.com/category/feat...e-in-the-world
Old 2021-03-01, 16:35   Link #80
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I actually had them move my stuff from CA when I moved here this time. They're great even from the U.S..