AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-03-03, 19:44   Link #81
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Another double color page in Jump Square (2nd in 6 months). Getting pretty close to being the #3 anime on Netflix after the unassailable JJK and SnK, and manga sales look good. Have to think there are a lot of S2 possibilities here, but who the hell knows.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-06, 21:58   Link #82
Alchemist007
*Author

Glad Firefox(m) did what the kids refused.
Old 2021-03-07, 12:07   Link #83
BWTraveller
Born to ship

At last Kon is back. And she's learning a lot now, experiencing jealousy for the first time and learning the feeling of wanting to be someone's number one.

At the same time, Aya's outfit is something else. Not quite what you'd expect an eight-year-old to wear. I could see one wearing as little as that, but the style... And her already going on about love and boyfriends, precocious is a bit of an understatement.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-07, 17:43   Link #84
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Pretty fun episode. Glad the Kumi aspect was solved fairly quickly, and without excess drama. She wasn't even broken like I thought she'd be, and it was also made clear that she was fully aware of what she was doing(prev I thought Tademaru might had done some manipulations somehow). She even regarded those "monsters" as her family, and it was a noble idea to have a <thing> dedicated to them in remembrance.

The Kemono for this episode was a rather simple fix, albeit a bit too forgiving maybe(injure several women, but gets her wish fulfilled in the end, with no punishment), but I guess it was to set up for the Kabane/Kon moment. I think Kon's resolve to be Kabane's "#1" will be important later down the line, as Inari seems like she'll be an obstacle at some point, and having Kon to choose btw Kabane and Inari would be a very interesting concept to focus on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
At last Kon is back. And she's learning a lot now, experiencing jealousy for the first time and learning the feeling of wanting to be someone's number one.
It was SOO CUTE ! I really enjoy her emotional instability with her pure heart. Honestly, I wouldn't expect any type of romantic implications from Kabane, given his nature, but man, the way he is so considerate while being very straightforward with everything is SO charming! I can't get enough of them! That part where(in general circumstances) they looked like they were about to kiss... looked into each others' eyes, without blushing, lack of normal romantic feelings, as if they are searching for something in each other... just amazing.

Quote:
At the same time, Aya's outfit is something else. Not quite what you'd expect an eight-year-old to wear. I could see one wearing as little as that, but the style... And her already going on about love and boyfriends, precocious is a bit of an understatement.
Oh boy...I thought her new clothing style was a bit much too, but considering her sheltered lifestyle, and perhaps a bit of "rebellion" against Tademaru's tastes, I can understand the wardrobe change. Same with being infatuated with Kabane as a prince charming. I thought it was pretty cute(particularly the way he focused on her completely to make sure she was okay right after getting bit by Kon, and the kiss on the cheek) and really enjoyed their interactions.

I just don't want to hear how she's 8 yrs old and the author is disgusting for having one that young do blah blah blah. Get tired of hearing about that sort of thing, thanks to the Mushoku Tensei thread.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-07, 21:00   Link #85
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Pretty fun episode. Glad the Kumi aspect was solved fairly quickly, and without excess drama. She wasn't even broken like I thought she'd be, and it was also made clear that she was fully aware of what she was doing(prev I thought Tademaru might had done some manipulations somehow). She even regarded those "monsters" as her family, and it was a noble idea to have a <thing> dedicated to them in remembrance.

The Kemono for this episode was a rather simple fix, albeit a bit too forgiving maybe(injure several women, but gets her wish fulfilled in the end, with no punishment), but I guess it was to set up for the Kabane/Kon moment. I think Kon's resolve to be Kabane's "#1" will be important later down the line, as Inari seems like she'll be an obstacle at some point, and having Kon to choose btw Kabane and Inari would be a very interesting concept to focus on.

It was SOO CUTE ! I really enjoy her emotional instability with her pure heart. Honestly, I wouldn't expect any type of romantic implications from Kabane, given his nature, but man, the way he is so considerate while being very straightforward with everything is SO charming! I can't get enough of them! That part where(in general circumstances) they looked like they were about to kiss... looked into each others' eyes, without blushing, lack of normal romantic feelings, as if they are searching for something in each other... just amazing.

Oh boy...I thought her new clothing style was a bit much too, but considering her sheltered lifestyle, and perhaps a bit of "rebellion" against Tademaru's tastes, I can understand the wardrobe change. Same with being infatuated with Kabane as a prince charming. I thought it was pretty cute(particularly the way he focused on her completely to make sure she was okay right after getting bit by Kon, and the kiss on the cheek) and really enjoyed their interactions.

I just don't want to hear how she's 8 yrs old and the author is disgusting for having one that young do blah blah blah. Get tired of hearing about that sort of thing, thanks to the Mushoku Tensei thread.
Kabane and Kon's relationship is definitely going to be a somewhat odd one, with their individual upbringings making them completely inexperienced and unclear on what love is or what anything they're feeling means. I have no doubt romance will blossom, it's just going to take time, especially with Kabane since his upbringing in particular left him very stunted in emotional development.

And don't worry, I'm not suggesting any such thing about Aya. I have a very strong tolerance for that sort of thing as long as there's any sort of way I find it believable. In MT I find it believable enough given that the story establishes the culture's view on sex is different (and that's not so far-fetched, considering how some other old and ancient cultures viewed sex and children), so as long as it doesn't go Redo of Healer on us with any non-adults I'm fine. I just thought that the outfit here was a bit much. As I said, I have no problem believing that an eight-year-old girl would wear shorts that small or a tube top like that, but the overall design seemed a little much (though as you said it makes sense as a rebellion against Akio). As for the boyfriend part, I don't necessarily have that much of a problem with it, I just kind of doubt she understands what she's saying quite as well as she thinks. Her behavior doesn't seem quite like what I'd expect a girl that age to do when in love. Like I said, precocious. I'm not saying she's been drawn as lolicon-fuel or a slut or something, just acting in a way that you wouldn't expect for at least another five or six years.
Old 2021-03-08, 00:56   Link #86
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I loved the scene where Kon asks Kabane how to be his number one, and he has no idea. She has none either. They're both so charmingly innocent.

Kemono Jihen has become my favorite show of the Winter season, edging out Horimiya. Every part of this show is good, from the script to the animation to the voice acting to the music. The score is often quiet and subtle but worth a listen.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 01:48   Link #87
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yep, it’s a great manga and they’re nailing the adaptation. Here’s hoping it gets multiple seasons.
Old 2021-03-08, 02:11   Link #88
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Aya's outfit is something else. Not quite what you'd expect an eight-year-old to wear. I could see one wearing as little as that, but the style... And her already going on about love and boyfriends, precocious is a bit of an understatement.
She's just a precocious child who's read way too much manga and thinks she's more sophisticated than she really is. She'll grow out of it.

Kon is fun, but I hope she gets to be more useful.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-14, 11:10   Link #89
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So....y'all still remember when I said Akira looks like Andromeda Shun?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Thanks to his design being so goddamn similar to Andromeda Shun (from Saint Seiya)......
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
....I was able to tell right away that he's a freakin' boy .
Well, looks like the "plagiarism" doesn't stop there since Akira also has a "more aggresive/violent older brother"-character named Yui who is basically just a copy of Phoenix Ikki down to the hair & eye colors :

Images
Basically Same Characters
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

What the hell, Mr. Author? Don't just copy-paste Saint Seiya even if you like it so much . You even sprinkled in some Yu Yu Hakusho by using a little bit of Hiei & Yukina's variation of backstory for Yui & Akira .
Old 2021-03-14, 14:27   Link #90
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Honestly it doesn't look all that similar to me. Oh well.

Can already tell a bit of what life in the yuki-onago (note: they mistranslated there, they never call the women yuki-onna, they call them yuki-onago and the men yuki-onoko) must have been like. Only one male every hundred years, and the boys only ever catch glimpses of their father's hand sticking out of a cell, broken and starved. Yikes.
Old 2021-03-14, 18:39   Link #91
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

What the hell, Mr. Author? Don't just copy-paste Saint Seiya even if you like it so much . You even sprinkled in some Yu Yu Hakusho by using a little bit of Hiei & Yukina's variation of backstory for Yui & Akira .
Well in the first place, the mangaka is a woman.

And in the second, you're straight trippin', boo.
Old 2021-03-14, 20:02   Link #92
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Honestly it doesn't look all that similar to me. Oh well.
Well, obviously the author needs to add his own touches to the character, otherwise, he would be deemed totally creatively bankrupt . But you can't deny the similarities between Ikki & Yui.

I personally think "Akira & Yui" are "Shun & Ikki"-homage that goes too far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well in the first place, the mangaka is a woman.
Never knew that. Thanks for the info. That said, the homage still went too far.

Quote:
And in the second, you're straight trippin', boo.
Which part?
Old 2021-03-14, 20:10   Link #93
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Well, obviously the author needs to add his own touches to the character, otherwise, he would be deemed totally creatively bankrupt . But you can't deny the similarities between Ikki & Yui.
Thing is, I do. They really don't look similar to me. Similar hair length maybe, some very, and I mean very slight similarities in the style, but that's all. And given that it's hardly uncommon for male or female characters in shounen works to have those sorts of features, and extremely common in general to have Yin/Yang siblings, something that vague is hardly enough to make such accusations as plagiarism or "homage taken too far".
Old 2021-03-14, 21:41   Link #94
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Thing is, I do. They really don't look similar to me. Similar hair length maybe, some very, and I mean very slight similarities in the style, but that's all. And given that it's hardly uncommon for male or female characters in shounen works to have those sorts of features, and extremely common in general to have Yin/Yang siblings, something that vague is hardly enough to make such accusations as plagiarism or "homage taken too far".
If Yui is a character by himself, the similarities with Ikki is not as obvious, but when Yui is paired with Akira, then you'll see all the similarities with the Saint Seiya sibling characters:
  1. Long lost older brothers who were dependable by the younger brothers when they were young.
  2. The younger brothers even have very similar civillian clothes
  3. The older brothers have blue shoulder-long hair & blue eyes.
  4. The siblings got separated for quite some time due to their situation.
  5. The younger brothers became side members of the protag-team and have friends.
  6. Both younger brothers look & acted quite feminine complete with long hair. Not to mention both are the relative pacifists of the protag-groups (even though Shun is not as useless as Akira).
  7. It becomes the younger brothers' mission to search for the older brothers.
  8. The older brothers finally appear before the younger brothers after a long time, but they have their own agenda and became the villains/antagonists of the arc where they reappear.

And those are just their initial similarities so far. I certainly hope the author can make the characters significantly different from Saint Seiya from here on out.
Old 2021-03-14, 22:01   Link #95
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
If Yui is a character by himself, the similarities with Ikki is not as obvious, but when Yui is paired with Akira, then you'll see all the similarities with the Saint Seiya sibling characters:
  1. Long lost older brothers who were dependable by the younger brothers when they were young.
  2. The younger brothers even have very similar civillian clothes
  3. The older brothers have blue shoulder-long hair & blue eyes.
  4. The siblings got separated for quite some time due to their situation.
  5. The younger brothers became side members of the protag-team and have friends.
  6. Both younger brothers look & acted quite feminine complete with long hair. Not to mention both are the relative pacifists of the protag-groups (even though Shun is not as useless as Akira).
  7. It becomes the younger brothers' mission to search for the older brothers.
  8. The older brothers finally appear before the younger brothers after a long time, but they have their own agenda and became the villains/antagonists of the arc where they reappear.

And those are just their initial similarities so far. I certainly hope the author can make the characters significantly different from Saint Seiya from here on out.
As I said, all of this is rather generic. I'd have to do some digging, but honestly I find nothing particularly odd about a pacifistic, mild-mannered and girly side character, or a weak-willed little brother with a strong-willed older brother who stands to protect him. And when you have such a dynamic, tragic backstories are almost guaranteed to involve the stronger sibling saving the weaker one. Again I'd have to look around a good bit, but a weak brother getting sent away by his stronger sibling and later seeking them out didn't once strike me as a unique trope. Basically, the most I can personally recognize is both being built around similar tropes, nothing more. I definitely can't go so far as to dismiss them as a rip-off of some other franchise's characters.

Additionally, while I haven't seen the anime, from the images I've been able to find I still say neither of them bear any more than the vaguest of resemblance to Shun and Ikki. The hair is similar length, in Shun and Akira's case at least, but that's just about all I can see.
Old 2021-03-14, 22:18   Link #96
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
As I said, all of this is rather generic. I'd have to do some digging, but honestly I find nothing particularly odd about a pacifistic, mild-mannered and girly side character, or a weak-willed little brother with a strong-willed older brother who stands to protect him. And when you have such a dynamic, tragic backstories are almost guaranteed to involve the stronger sibling saving the weaker one. Again I'd have to look around a good bit, but a weak brother getting sent away by his stronger sibling and later seeking them out didn't once strike me as a unique trope. Basically, the most I can personally recognize is both being built around similar tropes, nothing more. I definitely can't go so far as to dismiss them as a rip-off of some other franchise's characters.

Additionally, while I haven't seen the anime, from the images I've been able to find I still say neither of them bear any more than the vaguest of resemblance to Shun and Ikki. The hair is similar length, in Shun and Akira's case at least, but that's just about all I can see.
If you insist on not seeing the similarities then you do you.

As for me, I pointed out those to local Saint Seiya fans and most of them laugh at all the overt similarities. It's not a big problem, really. Just a funny thing to point out.
Old 2021-03-14, 23:04   Link #97
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Which part?
I've been following the manga since these chapters came out and you're literally the first (and so far only) person I've ever seen make the connection. It's a non-issue - they aren't that similar at all.
Old 2021-03-14, 23:09   Link #98
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I've been following the manga since these chapters came out and you're literally the first (and so far only) person I've ever seen make the connection. It's a non-issue - they aren't that similar at all.
Maybe because plenty of Kemono Jihen readers & watchers don't overlap with Saint Seiya fans? Ever think about that?

I mean, you're a Kemono-reader. Are you also a Saint Seiya fan?

That said, I largely agree that this is just a small matter, like I said in my comment above.
Old 2021-03-15, 02:29   Link #99
zztop

Quote:
Another double color page in Jump Square (2nd in 6 months). Getting pretty close to being the #3 anime on Netflix after the unassailable JJK and SnK, and manga sales look good. Have to think there are a lot of S2 possibilities here, but who the hell knows.
S2 is possible, but that depends on the future source manga pacing.

Spoiler for Manga pacing comparison:
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-15, 05:23   Link #100
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
S2 is possible, but that depends on the future source manga pacing.

Spoiler for Manga pacing comparison:
I don't think that would stop them from doing additional seasons if there's money to be made. They'll have used barely a third of the source material this cour. As to a stopping point the the anime can always manufacture something or just do a "Tsuzuku" ending.