Notices

Old 2010-04-08, 20:38   Link #1561
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

saw the raw couldn't wait, and just read through the early translation

Spoiler for ch 106:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Wow, 66 pages again ! This is wonderful.

Spoiler for 106:
Spoiler for :
Old 2010-04-08, 21:02   Link #1562
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Spoiler for 106:
I'll translate the dialog for you.
Spoiler for for translation:

Also, my favorite is Kimblee's line.
Spoiler:

It's funny how Kimblee's mentality is more a monster than any homunculus could ever achieve.
Man, Kimblee and Wrath were the two coolest antagonists of this series, and Arakawa sensei gave them a fitting awesome end!

Last edited by aohige; 2010-04-08 at 22:29. Reason: spellnazi
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 22:01   Link #1563
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Yeah, I said that I know what they said, it's just that it's I feel like it's implying that Roy can't fight so he's asking Riza if she can.

... or I'm just being pissed and paranoid, not a good combo...
Old 2010-04-08, 22:09   Link #1564
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Spoiler for 106:
Spoiler for 106:

Quote:
Also, my favorite is Kimblee's line.
Spoiler:

It's funny how Kimblee's mentality is more a monster than any homunculus could ever achieve.
Man, Kimblee and Wrath were the two coolest antagonists of this series, and Arakawa sensei gave them a fitting awesome end!
That is going to be such an awesome scene when they animate it. Now we see why the guys running the Brotherhood adaptation seem to have trimmed as little of Kimblee as possible.
Spoiler for Kimblee scene:
Old 2010-04-09, 20:44   Link #1565
orangejuicetang

Spoiler for Chapter 106:

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 22:09   Link #1566
Vicious108

There is a scanlation out already, so really no more need for spoiler tags. Anyways, my impressions on this chapter:

- KIMBURIIIIIIIIIIIII!!! I fucking called it! I knew it! I knew Arakawa-sensei wouldn't disappoint me like that and have Kimblee's closure be that meh-tastic defeat at the hands of Lion King. His appearance in this chapter made me 'mark out' so goddamn hard. His vintage mindscrewing, this time Pride being the victim. This is just my take on it, but I do believe that with these final moments, it's likely that Kimblee chose to side with humans in the end and recognized them as the strongest and most fitting and deserving of survival. Which is an absolutely awesome ending for his amazing character.

- And while Kimblee's return stole the show for me, let's not forget how epic Ed vs Pride was. That was beyond intense. And in the end in spite of his monstrous power and twisted nature, Pride really was a kid that longed for some fatherly love and approval, yet never got it. I can totally see Ed throwing this in the face of Father later on, plus the fact that Envy was envious of humans, to show him not to look down on humans who are so much stronger than the supposedly evolved homunculi. But man, what was up with Pride's "true form"? That was... kinda random and a bit silly. I thought only Envy had one. And I don't think Mrs. Bradley will be very happy to see that her son has become the size of an ant.

- Riza's reaction to Roy's blindness was... underwhelming. I expected it to be a bit more dramatic, at least. Not over/melodramatic of course, but still something more than that. Still, Hallad, I think you're jumping the gun a bit, from his look and words in his last panel, I don't think Roy intends to sit this one out at all.

- Father finally does and says something cool since becoming 'god'. "What if I were to birth humans?" That was pretty neat. And a transmutation caused by an evil grin = win.

- Last but not least, it needs to be said. Arakawa's art in this chapter was unlike anything we've seen from her before. She's really pulling out all the stops for these final chapters, cause this one looked absolutely amazing. Especially the Ed vs Pride panels. Hopefully she'll keep it up for the last remaining chapters.

So yeah, overall very pleased with this chapter and it was quite an improvement over the disappointing 105 IMO.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 22:41   Link #1567
orangejuicetang

Actually, now that I read it a few more times, it seems that it was actually Kimblee that somehow managed to interfere/stop/slow down Pride's takeover of Ed.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 23:07   Link #1568
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Actually, now that I read it a few more times, it seems that it was actually Kimblee that somehow managed to interfere/stop/slow down Pride's takeover of Ed.
I've only read it once and it was pretty clear to me that that's how it went.

And Ed probably has no idea too. Lol I'd like to see his reaction if he learned that Kimblee of all people saved his life.
Old 2010-04-09, 23:19   Link #1569
Jarmel

Great chapter again. I find it somewhat amusing how Kimbley somewhat saved Ed's life. I'm also glad Arakawa filled in that plot hole about forcing people to open the gate as well as clarifying the counter-transmutation circle(also helps to justify the brothers training in Eastern alchemy) . Ed's charge at Pride was pretty epic and I loved Kimbley's lines in that scene. I was kinda hoping that Ed would take control of Pride ala Ling but that would take too long and be too easy of a way to get his arm back. Hawkeye's reaction to Mustang was a little underwhelming but oh well. You guys are saying poor Izumi but Hohenheim got nailed too with saying the remnants of his dead friends. Now I wonder if that energy blast destroyed Ed's auto mail and whether he's out of the fight.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 01:54   Link #1570
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Great chapter again. I find it somewhat amusing how Kimbley somewhat saved Ed's life. I'm also glad Arakawa filled in that plot hole about forcing people to open the gate as well as clarifying the counter-transmutation circle(also helps to justify the brothers training in Eastern alchemy) . Ed's charge at Pride was pretty epic and I loved Kimbley's lines in that scene. I was kinda hoping that Ed would take control of Pride ala Ling but that would take too long and be too easy of a way to get his arm back. Hawkeye's reaction to Mustang was a little underwhelming but oh well. You guys are saying poor Izumi but Hohenheim got nailed too with saying the remnants of his dead friends. Now I wonder if that energy blast destroyed Ed's auto mail and whether he's out of the fight.
That last attack implies that not just Ed might be out of action. Hohenheim and Izumi are unprotected, and Al jumped in front of Mei to shield her.

Looks like maybe with the top alchemists out of the picture it's going to be the humans (and maybe a blind guy and an injured little girl) that end up doing the majority of the asskicking in the next chapter. Considering Mustang's and Mei's dispensation so far in this fight, they're about due. Can't help but think that Nameless Briggs Grunt asking Olivier if they should "back them up" is going to come into play...

And as for Amestrian alchemy being run off of Father and not tectonics? Called it. ^_^

I think what Father was doing was acting as a "proxy server" for alchemy. Now that everything's going directly to the source, as opposed to going through Father, it's that much more powerful.
Old 2010-04-10, 08:20   Link #1571
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
And as for Amestrian alchemy being run off of Father and not tectonics? Called it. ^_^
Lol you and the vast majority of the fanbase.

And yeah with the attack on the main team in the last pages I believe it might be time for Roy to step into action and make up for his uselessness in the past few chapters. If you ask me, he asked Riza if she could still fight to know whether or not she could 'become his eyes' for the battle.
Old 2010-04-10, 10:34   Link #1572
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
If you ask me, he asked Riza if she could still fight to know whether or not she could 'become his eyes' for the battle.
Yeah that is how I interpreted the scene as well. Well it makes sense since I can't see how Roy can be of any use without his sight.
Old 2010-04-10, 11:22   Link #1573
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Nope. It's exactly the other way around. Father was actually interfering with the flow of the Earth's energy, preventing Amestrians from actually using its full potential. That's why Mai and those two ninjas felt "a disturbance in the Force" when they came to Amestris, and that's why Ed was able to access more power than he's ever been able to. He was even surprised at himself for doing so during the fight. It acted as a cushion or perhaps even a filter, not a conductor. If anything, I should be the one saying "called it" for claiming the energy did not come from father I kid you, I admit I was wrong as well because I always believed father wasn't doing anything at all to begin with.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 13:45   Link #1574
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
One thing I have to get out first:
YES, Hawkeye!!

God, I've been waiting XD And she's bringing the Colonel's fighting spirit with her, woot! Finally! He's getting back on his feet again.

Reunions was all over the place - "Honey! <3 *tosses Roy away*". Also nice to see the Armstrongs coming to the action. All characters nicely collected in one spot.

Kimblee's appearance really surprised me. His rant to Pride was really the cherry on the top after Ed questioning his pride and loyalty. Only interfering, because he thought Pride was acting pathetic .. wow. Reminded me what a great villian he is.
Pride's real form was a little odd for me, though. Representing the desire for nest warmth - yes, but Pride? Dunno.

Father recreating the people from Xerxes was awful. I really felt bad for Hoho Just when I think this was it on the creepiness scale, Arakawa pulls something like that. Also gave Father quite the boost on the villian-scale.

This chapter was really epic - dialogues, fight scenes and the art was simply stunning. And it's an awesome setup for the next chapters, I really hope they'll be just as good (or dare I say .. even better?).

This was an uber-amazing chapter in all aspects. Quality all over and that in over 60 pages ... dang. This is gonna be soooo badass when animated.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 13:55   Link #1575
GDB

Ed's arm is getting quite damaged there, and it's supposed to be the ultra durable Northern version, right? Doesn't bode well for Al, but at least he didn't do the standard hug/save on Mei, so the blast at least has to go through two layers of armor to destroy his seal.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 15:12   Link #1576
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Ed's arm is getting quite damaged there, and it's supposed to be the ultra durable Northern version, right? Doesn't bode well for Al, but at least he didn't do the standard hug/save on Mei, so the blast at least has to go through two layers of armor to destroy his seal.
Actually the Northern version is lighter, so it's not quite as durable, IIRC (at least compared to his original model). It's just made out of components that won't give him frostbite. Either way, it's screwed all to hell.

Not so sure about the second part. I'm thinking Al's seal gets damaged and the remainder of the armor drops, lifeless, but somehow Hoho uses the last of his strength to pull Al's body (because we know that's where his soul would go) out from behind the door, and maybe infuses him with some Stone power (either his own or leeched off of Father) so he doesn't look so much like a clothing model, and the brothers are the ones who get in the last shot (after Roy and the military have their inevitable CMoA) and take out Father.

However it is, next chapter (or the first couple pages of the one after) should see Father's end.

Quote:
- Riza's reaction to Roy's blindness was... underwhelming. I expected it to be a bit more dramatic, at least. Not over/melodramatic of course, but still something more than that. Still, Hallad, I think you're jumping the gun a bit, from his look and words in his last panel, I don't think Roy intends to sit this one out at all.
Roy's, "Lieutenant! Are you able to fight?" line in that scene is going to be amazing, especially if they can tie a suitably epic BGM to it. Both the Japanese (Miki) and English (Willingham) voices are perfectly suited for it... ^_^

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-04-10 at 17:56.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 05:25   Link #1577
Slayerx

Quote:
Well, there is a difference between "they got my eyes" and "i'm forever blind"
Roy made it clear that he was unable to see, but didn't really make it clear that the damage was permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Yeah that is how I interpreted the scene as well. Well it makes sense since I can't see how Roy can be of any use without his sight.
Ya, i was expecting something like this ever since the moment Roy went blind
Spoiler:

Really with the way those two work together, it seems only natural
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 06:02   Link #1578
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Well, there is a difference between "they got my eyes" and "i'm forever blind"
Roy made it clear that he was unable to see, but didn't really make it clear that the damage was permanent.
I get the feeling that unless something is done, his eyes aren't going to get better on their own. No matter how it came to be, this is a sign of his "sin" in much the way that Izumi's organs, Ed's (arm and) leg, and Al's body were taken. Of course considering the implication from this chapter is that Father had a hand in every use of Amestrian alchemy since the country's formation (either actively or passively) it stands to reason that killing him is on the path to undoing their losses.

Either that or it truly will make their losses permanent... That could get sticky...
Old 2010-04-11, 08:01   Link #1579
Slayerx

Quote:
I get the feeling that unless something is done, his eyes aren't going to get better on their own. No matter how it came to be, this is a sign of his "sin" in much the way that Izumi's organs, Ed's (arm and) leg, and Al's body were taken. Of course considering the implication from this chapter is that Father had a hand in every use of Amestrian alchemy since the country's formation (either actively or passively) it stands to reason that killing him is on the path to undoing their losses.

Either that or it truly will make their losses permanent... That could get sticky...
What i meant was that Roy didn't make it clear to Hawkeye that his blindness was permanent
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 08:37   Link #1580
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
What i meant was that Roy didn't make it clear to Hawkeye that his blindness was permanent
But even so, I'd be pretty shocked if someone told me that he's suddenly blind.

... does Riza even know that he's blind? He just told her that they got his eyes.