AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-09, 04:08   Link #1
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
AIR TV on Blue-Ray Disc

http://www.bs-i.co.jp/anime/AIR/
The official site said something about the AIR TV will be released on Blue-Ray.
I think this is a great news. The regular NTSC resolution is not enough to fully enjoy AIR's graphical greatness.
(And now i have a reason to buy a PS3. :)
Old 2006-03-09, 04:15   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
As long as Pony Canyon doesn't screw up the encoding like they did with the R2 DVDs...
Old 2006-03-09, 08:29   Link #3
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Uwaaaaa~ If this really comes out, I know that would make me buy a PS3, just for that. ^^
Old 2006-03-09, 08:36   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I really hope this happen's.. adding Air to the collection would be magical! ;_;
Old 2006-03-13, 23:42   Link #5
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Wow Blueray release. AIR is going high tech already^^

DVD's are yesterday's news
Old 2006-03-16, 06:50   Link #6
Rosa Mystica

Soon as that comes out, I'll buy it ... and then wait for an multi region blue ray player
Old 2006-03-22, 18:21   Link #7
Monster in a box

I dont' want to have a reason to buy a PS3! Not like this is for anywhere other than Japan anyway...

...and if they do go nuts and bring it to the US (you never know....even if they said they'll never do it, it doesn't mean they'll never do it) it'll probably take a while and by then maybe I'll already have a reason to buy a PS3. Much as I'd like to think they'll stay on the PS2 forever, beatmania and Pop'n Music are bound to move eventually, assuming the two are still around in a couple of years....and they'd better be.
Old 2006-03-25, 06:48   Link #8
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
AIR on Blu-ray demoed @ Tokyo Animation Fair 2006.

Very prettiful. 30-40mbps, averages 35mbps. MPEG-2, of course, but still... nice.

No english subtitles means no purchasing though.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-03-25, 08:59   Link #9
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

OMGOMGOMG has there been any announcements/news on when, where, and how much one of those are going to cost???

OT: I can't help but laugh at Nadesico being translated as pink. lol. I first saw the image of Ruri and read the description below it, and I was like, "WTH is pink? Isn't this Nadesico?"
Old 2006-03-25, 14:48   Link #10
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Simply beautiful... I'm sure once you go blu-ray, youll never go back again. AIR is the perfect choice to show off the possiblities of the new technology for anime.

Until then, the closest you'll come to HD AIR goodness is Ishin's HD version fansub of the AIR summer special^^

I can't even run it at all since my computer is too slow
Old 2006-03-25, 18:46   Link #11
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:
Simply beautiful... I'm sure once you go blu-ray, youll never go back again. AIR is the perfect choice to show off the possiblities of the new technology for anime.
Kinda like how people forgot about VCD when DVD came out The time when we see "BD Rip" is near durhurhur

Hmmm.. I think KAA's DVD rips of AIR TV are nice. They encoded it in H264 and vorbis. They only have 1-4 out though.
Old 2006-04-19, 08:03   Link #12
TronDD
Team the box!

I guess I'm a little behind, I just found out about this.

When AIR was first airing I said to myself that if it came out on Blu-ray, I'd buy it and a player just for this show.

Guess I have to make good on my word.

The downloadable subtitles feature would be great if you can download fan subtitles.
Old 2006-07-20, 09:10   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Air Blue-ray set~

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...60720/pony.htm

Release date is the 1st of November, also comes with a bonus disc with a bunch of groovy goodes~

Can't wait for this one. ^__^
Old 2006-07-20, 09:23   Link #14
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

... 29800¥. 29800¥!. That's northwards of $250 US for the unwilling-to-convert.

The scary thing is, that's an absolute bargain compared to the actual DVDs, especially if Air in Summer is included. Which... well, I suppose it may be. Does the actual page there say either way?

Now, if I had a blu-ray player, and if there was a way to make it download subtitles from a user-defined location, I could see myself having a very difficult choice to make this November: Which is more important - food or AIR?

Of course, if the subtitle thing was possible, I'm somewhat amused to note that my reaction is "buy the disks, buy a blu-ray player, download the subtitles!" I can't think of just about anything else I'm willing to simply throw over a thousand US down on, assuming I had it to spare, especially not in terms of anime or other 'entertainment' media.

Sigh. Another time. Thanks for the heads up, AS. I'll look at this longingly at least a few more times in the next few months.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-07-20, 10:04   Link #15
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar
... 29800¥. 29800¥!. That's northwards of $250 US for the unwilling-to-convert.

The scary thing is, that's an absolute bargain compared to the actual DVDs, especially if Air in Summer is included. Which... well, I suppose it may be. Does the actual page there say either way?
Yep, or at least it seems to. Well, working on the numbers and Atlas translation anyway. 12 episodes + 2 episodes (Air in Summer) gives you the 14, and then it lists Air Memories (the recap episode) as an extra. So that'll be the lot

Quote:
Now, if I had a blu-ray player, and if there was a way to make it download subtitles from a user-defined location, I could see myself having a very difficult choice to make this November: Which is more important - food or AIR?
AIR, obviously. How could you even ask such a question?

*will be buying it* I'll probably hate myself for it afterwards though... but I'm *really* hoping Amazon jp will ship it and really hoping they'll apply their 25% dvd discount to it. If they do that's about $70 shaved off which makes it more reasonable. If not... oh well, it's Air, and at least I haven't already bought the R2 DVDs unlike some people who're buying it. Not planning to get either a bluray player or a HDTV in the near future though >_>
Old 2006-07-20, 10:05   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It is pertty save to say that the set is a must buy for any over the edge Air - you just gotta remember that the Kanon shall also make it the blue day. =D
Old 2006-07-21, 01:43   Link #17
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Valdra

I'm scarily thinking that will be my reasoning too. I have no plans of buying a blu-ray player in the near, or even not-too-distant future either, but... gah. As I said, it's an absolute bargain compared to the DVDs - at 5000¥ for the standard edition DVDs with (if I'm remembering correctly, and counting Air Memories) eight disks, slightly less than 30000¥ is an insanely good price for AIR, especially since it's a hi-def version.

Dammit. I'm talking myself into this. :S

-Andiyar
Old 2006-07-21, 03:19   Link #18
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar
@ Valdra

I'm scarily thinking that will be my reasoning too. I have no plans of buying a blu-ray player in the near, or even not-too-distant future either, but... gah. As I said, it's an absolute bargain compared to the DVDs - at 5000¥ for the standard edition DVDs with (if I'm remembering correctly, and counting Air Memories) eight disks, slightly less than 30000¥ is an insanely good price for AIR, especially since it's a hi-def version.

Dammit. I'm talking myself into this. :S

-Andiyar
But don't forget, all the Blue-Ray players out there are still at the $1,000 price range. Even PS3 will have you shelling out over $600 for them.

Like the others said, ¥30,000 is actually a very good deal for the entire set, compared to the ¥35,000+ you'd be paying for all the DVDs combined. However, even for a big Key fan like me, it's a little hard to cough up all those money for this set, especially since I already have all the limited edition DVDs.

Oh, and that BD set will be a "first press limited production", meaning when they're sold out, they're gone...
Old 2006-07-21, 09:40   Link #19
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Oh, and that BD set will be a "first press limited production", meaning when they're sold out, they're gone...
The curse of the first press only strikes again...

Oh well, that's it then. Currently got no versions of Air, should be able to understand them a few years down the line, will definitely be buying a ps3 when the good games start coming out in a few years time, better price and higher quality than the DVDs, and limited production. I say that's pretty good reasoning for me to pay out.

Can't blame anyone who bought the DVDs not wanting to get them though. Y65,000 for one series? Ow. After all this I'm seriously doubting whether I'll be buying the Kanon DVDs - probably best to just wait for the blurays of that too.

andiyar - Well just like DVD players, bluray players are going to drop in price after a while and it's not like you won't be able to watch it at some point. Still, I'd put it this way - if you intended to buy the Air DVDs at any point in the future (learning Japanese or whatever), I say go for it. If not, well, maybe not. If you get it, don't open it and change your mind they'll likely be going for quite a bit though.
Old 2006-07-22, 07:51   Link #20
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Valdra & Sushi-Y

Oh, indeed they are a bargain as I stated before, especially when compared to the DVD set. Limited editions... make me cry. Because if it is limited, it makes me want it even more. Damn.

As for learning Japanese and then watching Air, I've actually found myself giving a running breakdown of the first three episodes when watching a DVD raw at a friend's house, as I'd just watched various fansub versions that much that I pretty much knew the 'script' by then, as it were. So for Air, I have already somewhat memorised large chunks of the series. Not having subs would be a pain, but not necessarily a tremendous disadvantage.

There are really two major blocks to me buying the set on blu-ray - one being the cost & time delay between me buying it and then being able to watch it - looking at the cost of blu-ray players, I won't be getting one until around 2008, at a guess. How stable is blu-ray media when stored, I wonder. I'd hope it was sufficiently stable, at least. Oh, and then there's the nice issue (incorporated in the first reason still!) of region coding - Japan will be blu-ray region one, if I remember correctly, bundled with the US. But I'm not in the US, being one of those Australian types... where, at the moment, region coding is apparently illegal, due to the way it affects the Fair Trading act. Of course, since we are implementing a version of the DMCA thanks to our majestically intellectual government's 'free trade' agreement with the US, it's possible that region locking will become legal again. What region will we end up - and will bypassing those regions still be easily possible with blu-ray? Or will I have to import a player solely for the reason of playing the AIR disks?

As you can see - problems and costs mounting there.

The other reason I'd hold back is the maybe-kinda-probably not but still hoping possibilty that AIR may yet get a US license, which means I'd still be able to get a very decent version of the show with a translation that doesn't require frequent fansub watching, that I can play on my existing home theatre equipment. Unlikely I know. But hope springs eternal.

That said - I might just see what my VISA status is around October, and make a very difficult decision. ^_^

-Andiyar