3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.47%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.36%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-03-01, 01:34   Link #981
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Kinda shook my head after Lyle beat the crap outta Setsuna. Guess he realized the hard way that beating him won't bring Anew back.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 06:25   Link #982
FireChick

Uhhh...when I saw a sub of this episode, something REALLY bothered me. Did a different singer sing the OP theme this time???
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 07:51   Link #983
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

The sub group had a little fun and redubbed the OP. The original was the same singer.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-19, 16:36   Link #984
AnimeFangirl

Worst episode to date. Why didn't Virtue and Arios use Trans-Am against the enemies, especially when they saw how powerful Louise's new suit was? At least one of you has to go Trans-Am and try to take out the biggest threat. What's wrong with these kids?

Lyle x Anew are both relatively new characters I have zero interest in. I skipped everything that happened after Setsuna shot her like any sensible person would do. Why not shoot both of them while you're at it?

Are Billy and Graham still in this show? I haven't seen Ali in ages! What happened after Nena went nuts on Wang and Hong Long? What's up with Marina and Shirin? That's the kind of thing I wanted to see, not Lyle! Anew! Lyle! Anew! Lyle!

Please, no more episodes like this one.
Old 2017-11-19, 18:34   Link #985
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If you're going to skip scenes, why bother watching at all?
Old 2017-11-19, 19:33   Link #986
AnimeFangirl

Yeah, I usually drop a show when I find myself skipping around. But this time I've come so far that I might as well see it through till the end.
Old 2017-11-20, 04:31   Link #987
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Worst episode to date. Why didn't Virtue and Arios use Trans-Am against the enemies, especially when they saw how powerful Louise's new suit was? At least one of you has to go Trans-Am and try to take out the biggest threat. What's wrong with these kids?
Activating Trans Am prematurely can also be an issue since you're pretty much completely screwed after it's done. It can also cause a lot more waste than it is useful if execution wrong - especially if it involves Seravee/Virtue type units.

Case in point is Season 1 Episode 23 where Virtue went Trans Am. Tieria spent around 70-80% of his particles reserves in one giant beam shot on an asteroid that killed 2-3 GN-X, which was a huge waste.

Remember that Trans Am doesn't just use up particle reserves stored inside the GN Condensers - it also reduces the reactor's particle output after usage so it's a double whammy of a cool down. Usually the consequences aren't shown because Celestial Being "mostly" knows the right time to use it to minimize
The downsides.

In Episode 12 Season 2 for example, Seravee when outnumbered by a squad Tieria bemoaned "I can't use Trans Am here". This was because it was better for him to fight a hard protracted battle with slim chances than use Trans Am that will definitely make him lose since he can't kill all of the enemies. It's the type of power up where using it at the wrong time can have consequences.

Another example involves Cherudim from Episode 15 Season 2 where they fought near the sea. Cherudim started the battle by sniping a few enemies with Trans Am beams. They got some but as Kati mentioned they really the enemy just had to stay back defensively until it ran out. The effectiveness of Trans Am was basically nullified by the counter tactic. Cherudim would have been toasted had the battle continued after they reached and bombarded its position.

In the current Regnant first battle case, they were outnumbered 3v2 in terms of GN Drive equipped units so they had to bet on a protracted battle as opposed to Trans Am which will kill their effective longevity. In addition, the GN Archer is reliant on Arios's GN Drive to recharge it from time to time so they nerfing that won't help means that they can be out two units just from using Trans Am

They also had a type disadvantage somewhat because the enemy had two GN Field units while Tieria and co didn't have Anti Field unit with them. Trans Am is strong sure but even Trans Am powered beams can't beat a normal GN Field unless it's exponentially more powerful (only known example is 00's super giant Raiser Sword vs Empruss' GN Field in Episode 18, and even then 00's beam got deflected by it).

Trans Am also decreases the effective operational time. If the power increase from Trans Am still isn't enough to finish off the battle then using it is just suicidal because of the performance cooldown. The "use Trans Am while outnumbered thing mostly works only in Season 1" due to the enemy being easily scared by it and not having intel about its time limitations.

Which leads to my last point: using Trans Am is antithetical to their purpose during that battle: which was to buy time.

What they needed at that point was a trump card to turn the tables since they were losing in terms of raw power as well as elemental type. 00 Raiser was both a power unit and an Anti Field type - it was exactly what was needed. Tieria and co knew it was close to being repaired and their job was really just to buy time for that.

They almost failed of course but they bought just enough time for that. Sure they were lucky that the repairs completed just as in time but 00 showing up itself wasn't an unexpected event: it was part of the plan.

So to me, it made good sense why they didn't use Trans Am and played the longer game especially given all the factors involved. Since they knew that once 00 came in, their victory would be assured. If it meant keeping the enemy busier longer then so be it.

Really if anyone here screwed up the strategy it's the Innovators. They should have used the electrical wire thing from the start and they'll be on touchdown for Ptolemaios 2. No need for fancy bending beams and stuff.

Quote:
Lyle x Anew are both relatively new characters I have zero interest in. I skipped everything that happened after Setsuna shot her like any sensible person would do. Why not shoot both of them while you're at it?
Why would Setsuna shoot a teammate? That doesn't make any sense. Their undermanned as it is since Ian and Anew were at gunner duties until recently.

I'll also disagree with your opinion on the episode, this is one of my favorite episodes of the series. The battle was pretty fun and it was pretty fun seeing the Lyle Anew thing was affecting Lyle. We also got to see more subtle clues on Setsuna's transformation.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2017-11-20 at 04:48.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-20, 05:10   Link #988
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Which leads to my last point: using Trans Am is antithetical to their purpose during that battle: which was to buy time.
[...]
So to me, it made good sense why they didn't use Trans Am and played the longer game especially given all the factors involved. Since they knew that once 00 came in, their victory would be assured. If it meant keeping the enemy busier longer then so be it.
I see your point. The drawbacks of the Trans-Am system are indeed well-documented so I will say no more about it.

Quote:
Why would Setsuna shoot a teammate? That doesn't make any sense.
It doesn't make any sense from a strategic point, but it does from a "this Romeo and Juliet nonsense is pissing me off" point of view. I wouldn't have minded if Setsuna's hand had kind of slipped. Accidentally, of course.

Quote:
I'll also disagree with your opinion on the episode, this is one of my favorite episodes of the series. The battle was pretty fun and it was pretty fun seeing the Lyle Anew thing was affecting Lyle. We also got to see more subtle clues on Setsuna's transformation.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. KnockOff Stratos never grew on me and I couldn't care less about his romance. If you like Lyle, you enjoy the episode. You no like Lyle, you no enjoy. Or rather you enjoy for all the wrong reasons. >:-D