AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-10, 08:55   Link #3301
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've been very tempted to do a rewatch of the series, though i want to hold out for the manga which will be released soon.
Old 2010-08-10, 10:13   Link #3302
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Watch and read it at the same time. At least, and hopefully, the delays between releases will be a bit more bearable.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 11:49   Link #3303
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Watch and read it at the same time. At least, and hopefully, the delays between releases will be a bit more bearable.
Very tempted. I'll see how i feel after i've read the first volume.
Old 2010-08-28, 16:29   Link #3304
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Much attention, I recall, was given to Kou's grabbing Aoba's collar when she might her thoughtless "Go ahead and die!" comment to Momiji - and rightfully so, as it's a powerful emotional shift in the series. But this was a watershed episode for other reasons. In hindsight it marks the first real thaw in Aoba's feelings for Kou - in my view, because she sees for herself how much he cares for Momiji and in that moment, truly understands what Waka-chan loved about him.

One other interesting element is that Kou and Aoba (a 15 yer-old boy and 14 year-old girl!) casually sleep together in the same futon. Further evidence that whatever her protestations, Aoba is completely comfortable in Kou's presence and, in a sense (at this stage) forever 10 years old in his presence. And when she hugged him in her sleep, there was no cliche moment of misunderstanding. He simply closed his eyes and went to sleep, and when he woke up (before Aoba, natch) untangled himself and cooked them all breakfast.
I only just finished watching the series, but I thought Aoba said at the very end "All this time...I've hated you". From that it seemed to me that Aoba had these feelings for Kou maybe even when Wakaba was alive, and she distanced herself from Kou the entire time...her way of dealing with the fact both she and Wakaba liked Kou.

It was apparent Kou had huge feelings for Wakaba in episode 1, but his admiration for Aoba's pitching had started around that time as well. Something I still don't know is how long Kou had been 'lying' about his feelings for Aoba. Could it be traced all the way back to that time? Had Wakaba not died would the same thing have happened eventually with Kou's feelings? I guess Wakaba's death was one part of the destiny that ended up bring them together though, so the hypothetical is moot.

Anyhow, what you mentioned in the second paragraph is one of the things that made Cross Game so much better than most anime for me, the lack of cliche where you so often would expect it. Everything was well timed, even though the 50 episodes seem to fly by. Another thing is the subtle humour used throughout, it was suprising how funny it ended being despite the fact the characters rarely if ever changed their tone as if to make a joke. I'll go back to read the posts for the episodes to see more reactions, but for a quick review I'd say Cross Game was good and bordering on very good for the first 40 episodes. The last 10 were really the best for me where everything started to pick up and unfold as you'd expect.

My favourite character: Azuma Yuhei - gotta love that guy.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 11:48   Link #3305
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Azuma is one of the greatest wingmen ever, though no one can be the equal of Kou as a favorite character for me.

Azuma's greatest moment for me, I think, was "Tsukishima is your fried noodle?"
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 20:32   Link #3306
GrimJack

It seems that Viz is putting the first three volumes in the first book, perhaps the next two in the second then they may be one volume at a time since the third book has 200 pages.

I wonder why this decision was made seem weird
Old 2010-09-18, 09:03   Link #3307
ditn

Wow me and my brother just finished watching 50 episodes in a week

I was pleasantly surprised how cross game turned out.
Normally i don't watch romantic/slice of life anime because its too clichy and bad written.
But cross game really touched me.(don't think i ever watched 50 episodes in a week tt)
I liked all the different characters and all the subtle things you don't see at first.

Just one question i have,is the ending from the anime +- the same as the manga?
I kinda wished to see them playing at koshien (as a baseball fan thats is)
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 09:07   Link #3308
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yes, it's the same ending...

Old 2010-09-18, 09:08   Link #3309
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Completely the same ending.

Edit - Beaten by Beto.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 09:23   Link #3310
ditn

Im completely satisfied with the ending.
It's just that the sports fan in me wants to see koshien

Also is it ok if i use those images for my signature and the kou one for avatar?

Guess i have watched all the anime with baseball in it, Ookiku Furikabutte/cross game/major

Last edited by ditn; 2010-09-18 at 10:10.
Old 2010-09-18, 11:01   Link #3311
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Cross Game sigs and avatars are a good thing...

Yes, I loved the ending - completely satisfied. I'm up tp ep 40 in my re-watch and really looking forward to it.

DTN - if you liked all those series, try "Capeta". It's not baseball, but I think it's the most underrated sports anime around and it has elements that remind me of both Major and CG...
Old 2010-09-18, 13:52   Link #3312
ditn

Capeta is on my list but i haven't watched it yet.
Watching that many episodes in a week is not good,im getting withdrawal symptons
Old 2010-09-18, 14:16   Link #3313
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oh god are we going to get censured again for using the same and mirror image avatars of Kou again? I wouldn't mind campaigning since the Animesuki awards are a few months away.

@ditn

Likewise you are now obligated to spread the love.

Quote:
Watching that many episodes in a week is not good,im getting withdrawal symptons
You have no idea. During the two or three times the series was pushed back a week due to god knows what, Enzo was in a stupor and Beto was about to snap. In my case, Mondays felt empty when I wake up and remember "Oh... there's no Cross Game this week...", proceeded to bite my nails and struggled in class the next two days.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 14:32   Link #3314
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I don't want to get another warning... Maybe a little more variation, this time?

Old 2010-09-18, 15:26   Link #3315
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I was here first - I ain't changing!
Old 2010-09-18, 15:55   Link #3316
jpwong

I'm keeping my avatar cause I like Cross Game, but unfortunately I've found a new show for my signature. At least they're not really the same genre

Hopefully since this ended like half a year ago, it won't fizzle on the awards block with shows that are fresher on people's minds.
Old 2010-09-18, 17:04   Link #3317
ditn

I already am spreading the love,
my brother thought it would be a bad anime at first but at the end he really liked it
Now the rest ...

Guess im kinda lucky i got to see all of them in a row
the disadvantage is that you get way more addicted to view more.

btw changed my avatar and signature,now noone can complain.

edit:Hm touch is also from Mitsuru Adachi,might wanna check this anime

Last edited by ditn; 2010-09-20 at 10:19.
Old 2010-10-20, 23:41   Link #3318
drsypher

Oh man, I just finished Cross Game. Took me a little more than week, but wow! I haven't enjoyed a series this much for quite a long time, I gotta say. Originally, I was going to watch this show along with another show at the same time (one episode of this, next one of that, etc.), but by episode 6, I decided to just go ahead and watch this solo because I liked it so much. Every episode was a joy to watch, and the first episode surprised me quite a bit. Upon reading the synopsis on ANN, I was figured Wakaba would die or something like that, but when it actually happened, it still hit me really hard anyway.

I gotta thank the people sporting those Cross Game avatars and signatures. Upon seeing quite a few of those around, I decided to look into the series, though being careful to avoid spoilers. After seeing the spoiler-free post on Enzo's blog and the opening, I decided to give the first episode a go and I'm really, really, really glad I did. This series is definitely now one of my favorites!

My only regret was not watching it earlier. I vaguely remember watching the opening sometime late last year and kind of brushing it off without a second thought. I wish I did look into it back then, I'm sure it would've been really fun to watch every week.

And now.. I think I'll rewatch the series pretty soon. 1 week just isn't enough.
drsypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 23:49   Link #3319
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

1 week is pretty good, but not a record - I've heard tales of people marathoning the series in 3 days. It's just that good! I'm actually 45 episodes into my rewatching of the series myself - I'm trying to pace myself as much as I can.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2010-10-21 at 00:11.
Old 2010-10-20, 23:53   Link #3320
drsypher

Oh, I definitely would've watched in 3 days if I had the chance, but there just wasn't enough time for me to do that, unfortunately. I think I may rewatch at a 2 per week pace, to sorta recreate the feeling of catching it every week that I missed.

I think I may also take part in advertising Cross Game with those signatures and such posted way back. Cross Game needs much more love!
drsypher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports