AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-20, 10:56   Link #1
Aqua Knight

Series that keep glued to the screen

Preferably action based anime with good animation of recent years and the plot that makes you watch it further even if you need to sleep or study.

I've seen anime like Bleach, D.G-man, Reborn, DMC, TTGL, Fate/stay, Chrome Shelled Regios, DtB, TTGL,Haruhi, Toradora,Clannad, Sengoku Basara, Hellsing, Black Lagoon.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:00   Link #2
raduccio

Death Note did that to me not too long ago.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:03   Link #3
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Death Note isn't action but it's a great anime.. Definitely watch it if you haven't.

You might like Samurai Champloo. I watched it in one go, so good it was. Made me wish for more, and got me sad knowing there ain't.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:07   Link #4
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I marathoned all of Nodame Cantabile S1 in one night. No fatigue (not physical fatigue, story fatigue) at all.

Black lagoon was like that for me too.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:12   Link #5
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Hmm....
  • Xam'd: Lost Memories kept me glued to the screen. The animation and music is great. I loved every minute while I watched it.
  • Ga-Rei -Zero- was amazing. One of the best first episodes ever. Really touching story, even with all of the action.
  • Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ is another great one. It's a little slow in the beginning (a lot of people actually dropped it) but when it picks up, it doesn't stop. And the ending...ohh what an ending.
  • Black Lagoon has awesome characters and bad ass action. Don't forget about the second season too.

And if you didn't play the Fate/stay night visual novel...you should. Now that will glue you down for a while, haha.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:16   Link #6
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Code Geass, Nodame Cantabile, Baccano!, Durarara!!, Black Lagoon, CANAAN, Wolf's Rain, etc.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:19   Link #7
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Agh, I forgot about Code Geass and Baccano!, dang. I think Durarara!! has more drama than action, but it is a compelling series that is a must watch regardless of which genre you're looking for.

I am also going to add Claymore but highly recommend the manga instead. The anime didn't do it enough justice.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:30   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The anime didn't do it enough justice.
I think it did, though just had an awful anime original ending.

One Piece is a series that would certainly make you want to know what happens next. It's easy to marathon so many episodes of the show.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:31   Link #9
Aqua Knight

Seen Black Lagoon, Xam'd, DN, CG, Champloo.I'm pretty surprised that you metioned Xam'd because hardly any1 here in suggestion thread mentioned it(I mean I haven't really seen this title)

Of course I watched FSN and played the VN now desperately waiting for UBW movie.

What I want to ask is Wolf's Rain really good? Because it is from the same people that did Darker than Black,right? And is animation good there?
Old 2010-08-20, 11:41   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ I've heard good comments, haven't watched it though...
Btw my suggestions are Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood. The first is a typical shounen but very light with an interesting plot, the latter is a bit heavier but even better plot-wise. Both are BONES made, that should say enough about their animation quality.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:42   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If we're recommending BONES shows, then i'll have to go with Eureka Seven. 50 episode series that just keeps on delivering from start until finish. It's a must for mecha fans.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:51   Link #12
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

No one mention Cross Game yet ? Blasphemy.

I'm never into slice-of-life romance very much, but this one really glue me in front of screen. I'm finish 50 eps just like 4-5 days.

But I hope you not allergic to sport genre, even this one just have decent amount of that element.
Old 2010-08-20, 11:59   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
No one mention Cross Game yet ? Blasphemy.
Because the OP asked for mainly action.
Old 2010-08-20, 12:00   Link #14
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would have to recommend Canaan.
Old 2010-08-20, 12:03   Link #15
Aqua Knight

I preferably want male protagonist who is not younger 15 y.o.

Also are new Gundam series good? I've never seen any Gundam but heard that it's quite entertaining.
Old 2010-08-20, 12:36   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
Also are new Gundam series good? I've never seen any Gundam but heard that it's quite entertaining.
Yep it's a fantastic franchise, and there's a lot of starting places. Need more information as to what you want in a show before i can start recommending them.
Old 2010-08-20, 12:45   Link #17
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I think it did, though just had an awful anime original ending.
Yeah, I guess that is true. The action is awesome and all.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If we're recommending BONES shows, then i'll have to go with Eureka Seven. 50 episode series that just keeps on delivering from start until finish. It's a must for mecha fans.
That was an amazing series. I have to watch that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
I preferably want male protagonist who is not younger 15 y.o.

Watch every Gundam series (except for the newer SD, those are for the kiddies, lol). And the Macross franchise too, they are awesome. Macross Plus' animation impresses me still, and it's from the mid 90's I think.
Old 2010-08-20, 12:53   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's one think to just say watch all of the Gundam shows, though you need a place to start.

Start at the beginning. The first Gundam series would be Mobile Suit Gundam. If you don't feel upto the whole series, then there's the Mobile Suit Gundam film trilogy, which sums up the first series in three films, and doesa grand job of it. From there you go onto Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. These are set in the UC timeline, and the one that begins all Gundam.

There are different Gundam shows that are set in their own dimensions, and can be watched at anytime. These are Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam 00. That's just a few of them, though a good place to start.

With Macross, you begin with SDF Macross TV series. There's also a film version called Macross: Do you Remember Love?. I recommend checking out both, though go with the TV series first.

(Yes i did just copy and paste my post from another Mecha suggestion thread. )
Old 2010-08-20, 20:37   Link #19
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Seriously, nobody suggested Needless?? I have to be the #19th poster in this thread to suggest Needless?? Based on the shows he provided this guy clearly wants superboy kewl non-stop kewl shonen action (Which ='s Needless)...Not one of the shows he mentioned has any hardcore internal depth...And yes Needless has a good enuff plot combined with the action, certainly enuff to keep you glued to the screen....

To a lesser extent : Black Cat...

To an only one episode available extent : Cat$hit One...
Old 2010-08-21, 04:22   Link #20
Aqua Knight

Thanks I will start with FMA and then Needless.

Also which Gundam was done in recent like 3-4 years and can I watch it with out watching pre-series like from 1990-s?
Closed Thread