AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2017-07-26, 15:13   Link #16681
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsword View Post
Volume 16 Chapter 3 had Shido's first encounter with the Nibelcol. Though he passed it of initially as a dream, likely due Kurumi's time travel interference. Long story short, he initially thought they could be a Spirit with powers of copying like Kurumi, but they explain that they can be considered Spirits created by their Father, which makes them sort of different then Spirits he is use to.

Then they start dismembering him piece by piece to the point that even Camael's flames couldn't help anymore. Of course they had to go for the legs first so Shido couldn't runaway. The Nibelcol later were the ones to interfere with that infamous color page from volume 16. Here, Kurumi mocks them for being fake Spirits, which sends them into a rage, due to them perceiving it as an insult to their father.
Ooohhhh!! They do have a (shared) personality! Thank you very much for this!

Also lol, they act just like Marina.
The Chaos Entity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-26, 15:35   Link #16682
Y Ddraig Goch
Chasing Echoes

A question about Kurumi if I may:

Apparently (correct me if I'm wrong), Kurumi was already in love with Shidou since volume 3 yet he only sealed one of her abilities instead of the entirety of her spirit power in the same volume she fell for him. Can someone elaborate on this for me? Kurumi's mologue about "acknowledging" this was somewhat lost on me in this regard.
Y Ddraig Goch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-26, 17:23   Link #16683
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Ddraig Goch View Post
A question about Kurumi if I may:

Apparently (correct me if I'm wrong), Kurumi was already in love with Shidou since volume 3 yet he only sealed one of her abilities instead of the entirety of her spirit power in the same volume she fell for him. Can someone elaborate on this for me? Kurumi's mologue about "acknowledging" this was somewhat lost on me in this regard.
Shidou didn't seal anything then. a few of her abilities were damaged by Kotori and took time to fix before they could be used but nothing was sealed.
Old 2017-07-26, 17:29   Link #16684
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Shidou didn't seal anything then. a few of her abilities were damaged by Kotori and took time to fix before they could be used but nothing was sealed.
Slight correction: Her Sixth Bullet was damaged not by Kotori herself, but by the mental duress that the battle caused, but yeah, Shidou didn't seal anything then at all.

But I believe it is implied (stated?) that she has, indeed, loved him since then (or close to then).
Old 2017-07-26, 18:56   Link #16685
nightsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos Entity View Post
Slight correction: Her Sixth Bullet was damaged not by Kotori herself, but by the mental duress that the battle caused, but yeah, Shidou didn't seal anything then at all.

But I believe it is implied (stated?) that she has, indeed, loved him since then (or close to then).
It's kinda vague what happened after the battle with Kotori. Kurumi herself presented two hypothesis over what happened. One of them is what you said. The other one is that the thank you kiss she gave Shido while he was unconscious after nearing taking a hit from Camael, partially sealed her powers by restricting her ability to use the sixth bullet. Either way, it was presented as Kurumi herself treating it as a question, so there's no definite answer right now. Though the fact that she only got the sixth bullet back after Shido died supports this theory.

But after Shido died, Kurumi did acknowledge she lost the match to him, so I guess that's an indirect love confession?

Still, the sixth bullet is pretty hax to begin with, so it being sealed away was probably for plot progression reasons. Rather than main Kurumi, who was pretty tsundere at the end when talking about Shido to her clones. (Seriously, all that was missing was "It's like because I like him baka), Eyepatch Kurumi was probably best girl of vol 16.
nightsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-26, 19:08   Link #16686
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Quote:
It's kinda vague what happened after the battle with Kotori. Kurumi herself presented two hypothesis over what happened. One of them is what you said. The other one is that the thank you kiss she gave Shido while he was unconscious after nearing taking a hit from Camael, partially sealed her powers by restricting her ability to use the sixth bullet. Either way, it was presented as Kurumi herself treating it as a question, so there's no definite answer right now. Though the fact that she only got the sixth bullet back after Shido died supports this theory.

But after Shido died, Kurumi did acknowledge she lost the match to him, so I guess that's an indirect love confession?

Still, the sixth bullet is pretty hax to begin with, so it being sealed away was probably for plot progression reasons. Rather than main Kurumi, who was pretty tsundere at the end when talking about Shido to her clones. (Seriously, all that was missing was "It's like because I like him baka), Eyepatch Kurumi was probably best girl of vol 16.
You are an absolute godsend. Anything else about Volume 16 you think might not have been made clear yet? Or Date A Bullet?

Either way, thank you so much!!

Also yeah, I agree completely about the plot thing - nerfing Raziel was very likely done for a similar reason, I feel.
Old 2017-07-26, 19:27   Link #16687
nightsword

Well, the beginning of chapter 5 did imply that Westcott is on to Kurumi about the whole time travel thing. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

There' the whole "Is Reine Mio?" question floating in the air. However, that is main mystery left by the cliffhanger ending.

As for Bullet, sorry you're out of luck there. I never did find the chinese raws, so I haven't read it myself. If anyone does find them though, please PM me the link. I'll be more than happy to read it and answer questions about the spin off.
Old 2017-07-26, 19:32   Link #16688
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Quote:
Well, the beginning of chapter 5 did imply that Westcott is on to Kurumi about the whole time travel thing. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

There' the whole "Is Reine Mio?" question floating in the air. However, that is main mystery left by the cliffhanger ending.

As for Bullet, sorry you're out of luck there. I never did find the chinese raws, so I haven't read it myself. If anyone does find them though, please PM me the link. I'll be more than happy to read it and answer questions about the spin off.
Thank you so much for your insight! I (and, I'm sure, many of the others, here) are very thankful for it!

Out of interest, having read it (and, presumably, the other novels), what do you think the narrative implies regarding Reine and Mio? Do you think it hints they're one and the same? Or that they're separate entities?
I've seen compelling arguments either way, and, seeing as I'm unable to read the novel myself as it stands, I'm quite interested on the insight of one who has.
Old 2017-07-26, 20:02   Link #16689
nightsword

Probably? The style of their dialogue is pretty similar. The words she says before erasing Kurumi's memories is creepily similar to Phantom's words to Rinne in Rinne Utopia. Both times, thanking the other person for their work they've done so far and offering them some rest.

If I were to present another theory, it would go like this.

When the First Spirit was first summoned by Westcott and Woodman, they categorized her as Rei (零) (Maybe cause they were huge Evangelion Otakus lol) for zero or emptiness.

After leaving their group and falling in love with someone. Since Reine confirmed she had fallen in love at one point in volume 16. She changed the name to Mio (澪) to establish some individuality and took the Takamiya part from that person's family name.

After being forced to abandon Shido and Mana for some reason, she broke up the characters in her name to form Reine, since the kanji for "zero" (零) can be created with the first kanji of her name (令) plus the second kanji of her surname (雨).

As for if I think she's also Shido's mom, you can probably make the case for that. When Reine accidentally won the Spirit's "Which Onee-san can try the best to arouse Shidou plan (loooong story about that), her reaction was pretty much to pat his head and say "there, there". Motherly affection at its best I guess. Though whether Shido is a mom-con or not is a completely different story, especially since its suggested that he competently shut down after she abandoned him.

Though alternatively to play devil's advocate. If Mio is the childhood friend but also Reine, she might have accidentally killed Shido's real mom, hence the regret whenever the word mom is brought up.
Old 2017-07-26, 20:07   Link #16690
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Quote:
Probably? The style of their dialogue is pretty similar. The words she says before erasing Kurumi's memories is creepily similar to Phantom's words to Rinne in Rinne Utopia. Both times, thanking the other person for their work they've done so far and offering them some rest.

If I were to present another theory, it would go like this.

When the First Spirit was first summoned by Westcott and Woodman, they categorized her as Rei (零) (Maybe cause they were huge Evangelion Otakus lol) for zero or emptiness.

After leaving their group and falling in love with someone. Since Reine confirmed she had fallen in love at one point in volume 16. She changed the name to Mio (澪) and took the Takamiya part from that person's family name.

After being forced to abandon Shido and Mana for some reason, she broke up the characters in her name to form Reine, since the kanji for "zero" (零) can be created with the first kanji of her name (令) plus the second kanji of her surname (雨).

As for if I think she's also Shido's mom, you can probably make the case for that. When Reine accidentally won the Spirit's "Which Onee-san can try the best to arouse Shidou plan (loooong story about that), her reaction was pretty much to pat his head and say "there, there". Motherly affection at its best I guess. Though whether Shido is a mom-con or not is a completely different story, especially since its suggested that he competently shut down after she abandoned him.

Though alternatively to play devil's advocate. If Mio is the childhood friend but also Reine, she might have accidentally killed Shido's real mom, hence the regret whenever the word mom is brought up.
Ah!! So it does seem like they're the same then?

Thank you very much, that's pretty much what I was wondering!

I also honestly like your idea regarding her name and identity! I think it makes a lot of sense!
Old 2017-07-26, 20:12   Link #16691
nightsword

Ah, one more thing. The narrative always refers to Kurumi as the most dangerous Spirit, due to her goals and personality. However, it has always been subjective if she was the strongest.

We all know that how effective a Spirt's powers are depends on how much reiryoku the target has. Heck, even Mukuro's powers couldn't completely effect Inverse Tohka.
But with the seventh bullet, the freezing time aspect works on anyone, even Phantom. Kotori got lucky due to her healing power. But as Sawa and Shido can atest in vol 16, the healing flames can only do so much.

Vol 16 can bring another argument to the table. While working with Mio, Kurumi killed over 50 incomplete Spirits, with flashback showing her fighting at least the previous users of Camael and Zadkiel.
Old 2017-07-30, 09:21   Link #16692
tuckersister

We see Hibiki again in DAB Vol 2. We get to see what she really looks like. I hope it's not disappointing.

Someone told me that Hibiki maybe helping Kurumi indirectly in the main story. She's probably not even in the current world; just outside observing. She must have a way of communicating with Kurumi.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 15:02   Link #16693
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersister View Post
We see Hibiki again in DAB Vol 2. We get to see what she really looks like. I hope it's not disappointing.

Someone told me that Hibiki maybe helping Kurumi indirectly in the main story. She's probably not even in the current world; just outside observing. She must have a way of communicating with Kurumi.
There is literally zero proof Hibiki is helping Kurumi in the LNs. Of course, there is no proof she isn't, however, either.
Whoever told you that was likely just making shit up, though.

And Empty is what she really looks like - that was stated by someone who read the novel a few pages back. Of course, they could be mistaken, or lying, but there is no proof that they are either.

In all honesty, given the fact that DAB is by a different author entirely, with only creative input from Tachibana, it's entirely likely that the bit about Quasi-Spirits only living for a short time is likely to explain why she isn't in the main story - she's dead.
Of course, it's also possible that she'll be like Artemisia, and actually get to show up in person.

But you seem to think that Hibiki is super-important, or that she'll definitely be the key to sealing Kurumi, or that she absolutely must appear in the light novels proper, and...that isn't the case. At all. She might appear, but she just as likely won't even be mentioned. After all, she's a Spirit outside the tree, and at this late stage, that might over-complicate things.

Last edited by The Chaos Entity; 2017-07-30 at 17:21.
Old 2017-07-31, 22:35   Link #16694
FunPark

August's volume covers:
http://imgur.com/a/ISsom
FunPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 03:29   Link #16695
endswar614

Man, those clones in the back look ominous as hell.
endswar614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 07:12   Link #16696
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Looks like we get a new idol quasi-spirit, too.
Old 2017-08-01, 11:33   Link #16697
FunPark

This is the best cover so far, I'm amazed.
The eyes shining are being a lot creepy.
FunPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 15:58   Link #16698
cyberdemon

Wonder if Shidou is going to try to date a Nibelcol in this volume.
Old 2017-08-01, 17:55   Link #16699
The Chaos Entity
Mukuro's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Wonder if Shidou is going to try to date a Nibelcol in this volume.
I certainly kinda hope so.

The summary doesn't seem to leave room for that, though...
Old 2017-08-01, 22:43   Link #16700
JonasDown!

Here's the translated extended synopsis for the volume.

Spoiler for Synopsis:

I do believe Shido and Nibelcol going on a date is highly unlikely, especially after getting killed over 200 times by her... And by the looks of it, Shido has decided to take on Nibelcol himself just like he did with Mukuro at the beggining of volume 15. Now I wonder if Kurumi will partake in the upcmoning fight between Ratatoskr and DEM which she probably will but I'm thinking she'll have it tough after that revelation at the end of volume 16.
JonasDown! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, angelic spirits, antiheroine, comedy, drama, fantasia bunko, harem, light novel, romance, science fiction, shounen, time travel, tragedy