AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-15, 18:50   Link #1221
Random Wanderer

I just started on this today. I actually hit Aria in the Starless Night first, since it isn't very far along in the storyline and I already knew the basic premise (which is all I think I really needed out of any of the chapters that were chronologically earlier), and because it generated such a strong response when the anime adapted it.

It's really good.

I then went on to volume 1, and have just finished it.

It, also, is really good.

I've always had trouble reading translated light novels. I've tended to think of that as a nearly unavoidable issue with having to translate them in the first place. Even if they're well-written in their original language, it's very unlikely that even the best of translations will leave them feeling well-written in the new language. This is perhaps the first time where those issues didn't bother me.

The love between Kirito and Asuna is incredibly powerful, and it gets to me, even through the translation. It is such an amazing thing.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 19:01   Link #1222
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
The love between Kirito and Asuna is incredibly powerful, and it gets to me, even through the translation. It is such an amazing thing.
Indeed it is. It's probably my favourite thing about SAO. The fantasy and sci-fi elements, as well as the action scenes are nice, but for me (and many others, I'm sure) the romance takes the cake.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 19:04   Link #1223
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Indeed it is. It's probably my favourite thing about SAO. The fantasy and sci-fi elements, as well as the action scenes are nice, but for me (and many others, I'm sure) the romance takes the cake.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks like that. This other forum I'm on believes the romance is the worst part and makes SAO bad. Haters, the whole lot of them.
Old 2012-07-15, 19:07   Link #1224
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks like that. This other forum I'm on believes the romance is the worst part and makes SAO bad. Haters, the whole lot of them.
W/out the romance SAO would only be a shadow of it's former self
Old 2012-07-15, 19:09   Link #1225
novalysis

Quote:
Which is why I think SAO stands even with it's fragmentary nature, and perhaps as much as 90% of Kirito's and Asuna's romantic developments missing, or it fragments. Volume 1 is essentially the climax of Kirito and Asuna's relationship in SAO.

Still, if you want to see why SAO is so tantalizingly fragmentary, just read the next two Post-Aria stories - Rondo and Monochrome. In actuality, I think in the SAO re-write, romance may well be one gradually developing sub-plot over the entire story that climaxes just before the end, against multiple other main plots. That of course, is more relevant for the first four volumes.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 19:12   Link #1226
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Huh, really? A lot of the other forums I'm on agree with me in that the romance is one of best elements of SAO. I suppose it depends on the community.. Not to mention the fact that we live in an age where some people consider harems "good romance". *shrug*

Of course, that's not to say the other elements aren't good, or that I can't see why they'd attract people to the series.

@nova: Exactly.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:43   Link #1227
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

What I like about the romance is that it's very much a pairing of equals, and Kirito and Asuna are truly a wondrous sight to see when they're together. Also, they're a lot more mature about their relationship than most anime couples.

But meh, I've said this before, and there's no need to repeat myself, lol.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 03:45   Link #1228
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
FI - the next episode of the anime should be adapting Vol2, arc 4 RNR. Why they're dealing with that prior to The Black Swordsman, which happened on an earlier floor will be interesting to see.
RNR happens before Black Swordsman in terms of timeline (Dec 2023 vs Feb 2024) and Kirito even makes a loose reference to what happened in RNR it's probably easier to animate them in timeline order rather than having to deal with fixing references by putting them out of order. Floors largely don't matter unless it's the front line since you can go back down to any cleared floor.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 04:04   Link #1229
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
RNR happens before Black Swordsman in terms of timeline (Dec 2023 vs Feb 2024) and Kirito even makes a loose reference to what happened in RNR it's probably easier to animate them in timeline order rather than having to deal with fixing references by putting them out of order. Floors largely don't matter unless it's the front line since you can go back down to any cleared floor.
Just a quick question, RNR (present time - Kirito grinding) takes places in December, but what was the month Kirito joined the guild? Though we can guess that he joined in the same year, but was a specific month given?
Old 2012-07-16, 04:14   Link #1230
DurararaFTW

Quote:
Five months had passed since the spring season’s dusk when the death game called SAO began. In order to collect material for weapons, I had ventured into the labyrinth ten levels below the current front line.
Five months had passed, so April I guess.
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 04:41   Link #1231
Liquidzero

I also like the romance between Kirito and Asuna. Right now I'm reading volume 8, and midway through I decided to read Volume 1 again and I noticed an inconsistency. When going to cook the rabbit meat, Kirito states that he's only interacted with Asuna in boss fights and never even went to an NPC restaurant with her.

Then in volume 8, I was glad to read a more in depth version of their first (or second i guess) meeting. But right after she wakes up, she says she owes him a meal and they end up going to lo and behold an NPC restaurant!

I understand that it's 8 books down the line so the author probably forgot but I feel so anal retentive now =(

Edit: Author's Note to the rescue! haha looks like the author apologized for the inconsistency
Liquidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 04:51   Link #1232
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidzero View Post
I also like the romance between Kirito and Asuna. Right now I'm reading volume 8, and midway through I decided to read Volume 1 again and I noticed an inconsistency. When going to cook the rabbit meat, Kirito states that he's only interacted with Asuna in boss fights and never even went to an NPC restaurant with her.

Then in volume 8, I was glad to read a more in depth version of their first (or second i guess) meeting. But right after she wakes up, she says she owes him a meal and they end up going to lo and behold an NPC restaurant!

I understand that it's 8 books down the line so the author probably forgot but I feel so anal retentive now =(

Edit: Author's Note to the rescue! haha looks like the author apologized for the inconsistency
This is why he is writing SAO Progressive to fix up these inconsistencies and such.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 05:16   Link #1233
Liquidzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
This is why he is writing SAO Progressive to fix up these inconsistencies and such.
good to know! so i read it's coming out this august, definitely something to look forward to. although makes me wonder if it would have been better to push the anime back til this came out, though I guess Kawahara is advising the anime as well so I guess it's going to have these changes in mind? Sorry if I'm not up to date with my info.
Liquidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 09:31   Link #1234
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

SAO Progressive? Is it a rewrite of the novels then?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 09:32   Link #1235
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
SAO Progressive? Is it a rewrite of the novels then?
No, just the Aincrad arc.

I don't understand why some people are expecting it cover all 100 floors..
Old 2012-07-16, 09:34   Link #1236
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
What were the plot holes in the Aincrad arc? I know one was how Asuna and Kirito met when comparing the volume 1 meeting to the Aria meeting.
Old 2012-07-16, 09:34   Link #1237
Sixth
Hu Tao

So, which chapter is that Kirito starts to have relationship with Asuna? Also, was that a last time for Kirito saw Asuna at Kobold Boss battle?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 09:39   Link #1238
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
What were the plot holes in the Aincrad arc? I know one was how Asuna and Kirito met when comparing the volume 1 meeting to the Aria meeting.
I'd say the entire Aincrad arc is one giant plot hole, with everything that's been written so far being little more than snippets here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
So, which chapter is that Kirito starts to have relationship with Asuna? Also, was that a last time for Kirito saw Asuna at Kobold Boss battle?
Depending on what you mean by "relationship", though I guess they officially started going out @ ch.16 in vol.1
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 09:44   Link #1239
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
No, just the Aincrad arc.

I don't understand why some people are expecting it cover all 100 floors..
So, is it like a version combining some of the side stories all into one big chronological volume so there's clarity?

Well, that would take far too long honestly. They didn't even get to 100 anyway.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 09:45   Link #1240
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I'd say the entire Aincrad arc is one giant plot hole, with everything that's been written so far being little more than snippets here and there

Depending on what you mean by "relationship", though I guess they officially started going out @ ch.16 in vol.1
I mean, when were both of them realize that they love each other.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality