AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-01-10, 01:22   Link #401
JiPrime
En Taro Tassadar!

I would die happy if they cast an alien as a protagonist instead of a human.

Gundam adaptation of Starcraft, anyone?
JiPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 02:24   Link #402
fizzmaister
The Tall One

UC was heavily inspired by Heinlein. 00 was a giant homage to Arthur C. Clarke. I think the next gundam will draw heavy inspiration from David Weber. Read below to find out why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/22-MissionofHonorCD/MissionofHonorCD/Shadow%20of%20Saganami/Shadow_of_Saganami.htm
That was all bad enough, but the fact that Pontifex didn't possess even first-generation prolong made it far worse, because Ragnhild Pavletic was cute. It was the curse of her life. She wasn't beautiful, not pretty or handsome, but cute. She was petite, delicately built, with honey-blond hair, blue eyes, a snub nose, and even—God help her—freckles. Her hair was so naturally curly she had to keep it cut into a short-cropped mop less than five centimeters long if she was going to have any hope of managing it, and she, unfortunately, was a third-generation prolong recipient. Worse yet, she'd received the initial treatment even earlier than most, with the result that it had started slowing the physical maturation process proportionately sooner. Which meant that at a chronological age of twenty-one T-years, she looked like a pre-prolong thirteen-year-old. A flat-chested thirteen-year-old.
Old 2011-01-10, 03:45   Link #403
JiPrime
En Taro Tassadar!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
UC was heavily inspired by Heinlein. 00 was a giant homage to Arthur C. Clarke. I think the next gundam will draw heavy inspiration from David Weber. Read below to find out why.
So the next gundam tv series will feature bunch of moe loli superhumans?
What is this I don't even....
Old 2011-01-10, 21:16   Link #404
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

can they at least finally put as MAIN LEAD female protagnist for next gundam tv series really that would finally new era to see.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 23:13   Link #405
JiPrime
En Taro Tassadar!

To those who pine for a female protagonist: You got one already.
Spoiler:

If you don't know what I'm talking about you still have not watched enough Gundam.
Old 2011-01-11, 02:25   Link #406
v717

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiPrime View Post
To those who pine for a female protagonist: You got one already.
Spoiler:

If you don't know what I'm talking about you still have not watched enough Gundam.
Yeah good one

I read somewhere that he was suposed to be a girl, but they changed it during the design phase.
v717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 04:30   Link #407
Throne Zwei
Londo Bell Taskforce

I don't think there would be a female lead in a Gundam series any time soon. Since the demograph is mainly young guys or the adults that grew up with say Universal Century, they're going to have a lead Gundam main character who the targeted audience can identify with which is a young male character.

Female main characters would be most likely in an OVA.
Old 2011-01-11, 04:48   Link #408
JiPrime
En Taro Tassadar!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Zwei View Post
I don't think there would be a female lead in a Gundam series any time soon. Since the demograph is mainly young guys or the adults that grew up with say Universal Century, they're going to have a lead Gundam main character who the targeted audience can identify with which is a young male character.

IMO anything can happen at this point, since the introduction of the Aliens in 00 pretty much eff'ed up the continuity for turn A.

There is absolutely no way the writers can fit 00 into the dark history timeline.

Personally, I'm hoping for a series that takes place eons before Universal Century, with Gundam being originated from an advanced time-traveling alien race. (Preferably Protoss)

It will cause the greatest sh1tstorm that will ever happen among the Guntakus.

I look forward for that day.
Old 2011-01-11, 05:08   Link #409
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
IMO anything can happen at this point, since the introduction of the Aliens in 00 pretty much eff'ed up the continuity for turn A.

There is absolutely no way the writers can fit 00 into the dark history timeline.
You mean that naturally evolved nanomachine (ELS), combined with humanity spreading out beyond Sol, make Turn A less likely. You clearly aren't exercising that grey matter of yours. I would understand if one of your complaints would have been that the orbital elevators messed things up, but ELS are certainly the least of your troubles if you're trying to make sense of the dark history.
Old 2011-01-11, 05:22   Link #410
JiPrime
En Taro Tassadar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
You mean that naturally evolved nanomachine (ELS), combined with humanity spreading out beyond Sol, make Turn A less likely. You clearly aren't exercising that grey matter of yours. I would understand if one of your complaints would have been that the orbital elevators messed things up, but ELS are certainly the least of your troubles if you're trying to make sense of the dark history.
I'm sorry, I don't understand.

What do you mean, less likely?

Btw, if there is anything that is invulnerable from retcons, it's Turn A.

Tomino-sama will rage so, so hard if anyone tries to touch Turn A.
Old 2011-01-11, 06:06   Link #411
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Well nanomachines on the level that Turn A uses clearly were based of of the ELS, which as Living metal (probably silicon) are simply natural nanomachines. Voila, ELS make Turn A more likely. Turn A says some of humanity left the Solar System, they did that in 00. The real issue is what happened to the orbital elevators, and the usual, well, why were the people in Turn A the only ones to dig up old MSs.
Old 2011-01-11, 09:22   Link #412
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Arrow

Quote:

Personally, I'm hoping for a series that takes place eons before Universal Century, with Gundam being originated from an advanced time-traveling alien race. (Preferably Protoss)

It will cause the greatest sh1tstorm that will ever happen among the Guntakus.

I look forward for that day.
00 and Seed aren't part of it I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Zwei View Post

If Im not mistaken, the demographic for Gundam is more female than male. Although not for gunplas. I cannot remember where I got that from though so just take that info at face value.
Old 2011-01-11, 13:23   Link #413
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Not everything has to fit into the Turn A Bang theory. Hell, even that theory is highly implausible to begin with, even before you add Gundam SEED and Gundam 00 to the mix. Besides, forcing every series to come after Turn A to fit into Turn A's Dark History only succeeds in limiting creativity.
Old 2011-01-11, 16:18   Link #414
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
If Im not mistaken, the demographic for Gundam is more female than male. Although not for gunplas. I cannot remember where I got that from though so just take that info at face value.
This only the case with the CE timeline.. Something like 60 to 40% i believe..

As for Gunpla, it's probably something like this..
1) Kids
2) Gundam otaku
3) Older Gundam fans..
Old 2011-01-11, 16:24   Link #415
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

If Gundam should take in inspiration from Macross itīs definitely not aliens but how humans are reaching out into space. Exploring. Instead of earth vs colonies, let it be different alliances of planets that go to war against eachother for total domination.

And, again, 08th MS Team is well worth looking at for inspiration aswell. A full length Gundam show that follows x(x) number of grunts on both(all) sides. Thatīs the only thing Gundam really misses in itīs repertoire, in my opinion atleast.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 17:26   Link #416
Destinyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
SEED and GSD were the ones noted for the large female fanbase in Japan. This was due to a couple of factors:

1. High profile artists (T.M. Revolution) doing the opening and closing themes, so fans of those singers/bands would tune in and end up liking the show.
2. The human drama involving Kira and Athrun.

SEED focused more on the character relationships and their reactions to different situations, as opposed to being a fast paced, actiony type like most Gundam series are.

Gundam 00 clearly shows this difference, as the main audience for 00 were males in their college years.

I really don't mind either approaches myself; I liked both SEED and 00 immensely (although Destiny certainly shot itself in the foot way too much due to Fukuda and Morosawa not planning it out ahead enough). It'll be interesting to see what Sunrise's approach with the next Gundam series will be. Will they aim for a young crowd again like they did with SEED? Or aim for a young adult group like 00 did?
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 18:04   Link #417
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Not everything has to fit into the Turn A Bang theory. Hell, even that theory is highly implausible to begin with, even before you add Gundam SEED and Gundam 00 to the mix. Besides, forcing every series to come after Turn A to fit into Turn A's Dark History only succeeds in limiting creativity.
My words exactly, I only consider the Dark History a clever and fun homage to previous Gundam shows. Not something that is absolutely canon and set in stone.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2011-01-12 at 18:18.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 21:44   Link #418
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
This only the case with the CE timeline.. Something like 60 to 40% i believe..
A myth... Comparing the most watched episodes of Gundam 00, 00 2nd Season, Seed, and Seed Destiny

Demographics/TV Ratings breakdown for Ep 18 of Gundam 00 -
Code:
Total KID TEN  *M1  *M2  *M3   *F1  *F2  *F3 
*6.1 *9.3 *6.7 *3.6 *5.3 *1.5 *2.7 *3.6 *2.0
Demographics/TV Ratings breakdown for Ep 11 of Gundam 00 2nd Season -
Code:
*6.3 *3.6 *2.9 *6.2 *2.6 *1.7 *2.7 *4.1 *1.8
Demographics/TV Ratings breakdown for Ep 49 of Gundam Seed -
Code:
*8.0 *9.5 *7.3 *9.8 *3.1 *0.2 *3.2 *2.1 *0.5
Demographics/TV Ratings breakdown for Ep 1 of Gundam Seed Destiny -
Code:
*8.2 *4.9 10.8 *5.0 *4.9 *1.9 *5.0 *4.6 *2.2 
Legend -
Code:
KID: Boys & Girls 4-12, TEN: Boys & Girls 13-19
*M1: Males 20-34, *M2: Males 35-49, *M3: Males 50 and up
*F1: Females 20-34, *F2: Females 35-49, *F3: Females 50 and up

...In general Gundam is still a male, teen/young adult franchise.
Old 2011-01-12, 02:45   Link #419
Vsin
Aldracity

Ehhh, your Destiny EP1 sample seems to indicate that the fanbase was more of an even split than male-tilted.

What I'm curious about is the similar rumor that MSG had a primarily (if only 50.01%) female fanbase. My only ground to support this is Char.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 10:05   Link #420
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
My words exactly, I only consider the Dark History and clever and fun homage to previous Gundam shows. Not something that is absolutely canon and set in stone.
I was thinking along the same lines as you guys that Turn A was created as a homage to Gundams past not to oppress the creativety of the writers who would work on the various AU timelines that would come latter.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote