AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-18, 16:53   Link #181
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but whenever I remember Uta Kata, I just get sad and depressed..

Spoiler for My thoughts/questions/etc.:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I saw this one recently and it was okay, nothing too special. One question though: did Sei (the guy who did the trials 6 years) also wear costumes when he used the Djinn like Ichika? I'm not too sure but I could have sworn of crossdressing occuring in this series.
Spoiler for hm:
Old 2007-12-21, 00:48   Link #182
Stephanie
You can reach for my hand

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie
Arigato for the explanations! n_n

Though, one more question.. If Kai and Manatsu are suppose to be Sei and Ichika "I am you, you are me" how come they have a totally different attitude? Is that the other part of Sei and Ichika waiting to come out?

I heard this from someone before, he goes around saying:
"F*ck personality! You know, I hate it when people say, 'I'm real'! Oh come on, personality or characteristics of a person is like a costume, we can decide how to act and what personality we want to convey, whether it's all goody goody or active hyper, or some silent person in the corner, it's like a costume!"

I liked the way he talked about that, but just one thing cannot be changed.. And that is what a person values and believes.. Even if you can put on any personality or role, you still won't do what goes against what you believe..
Example: You won't kill, or a person who believes highly is sex after marriage remains that way, no matter what "personality mask" he/she puts in
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 02:42   Link #183
Asrialys

Quote:
Arigato for the explanations! n_n

Though, one more question.. If Kai and Manatsu are suppose to be Sei and Ichika "I am you, you are me" how come they have a totally different attitude? Is that the other part of Sei and Ichika waiting to come out?
Spoiler:

Quote:
I heard this from someone before, he goes around saying:
"F*ck personality! You know, I hate it when people say, 'I'm real'! Oh come on, personality or characteristics of a person is like a costume, we can decide how to act and what personality we want to convey, whether it's all goody goody or active hyper, or some silent person in the corner, it's like a costume!"

I liked the way he talked about that, but just one thing cannot be changed.. And that is what a person values and believes.. Even if you can put on any personality or role, you still won't do what goes against what you believe..
Example: You won't kill, or a person who believes highly is sex after marriage remains that way, no matter what "personality mask" he/she puts in
Perhaps, but sticking to a facade may permanently leave you that way and may eventually lead to doing things you'd rather not do. Someone like that could eventually become too afraid to change into someone they want to be. Well, that's what I think anyway. But I probably shouldn't be the one to talk...
Old 2007-12-23, 22:15   Link #184
Stephanie

One "last" question..

Why do some people consider this anime "Yuri"? I actually just think Ichika and Manatsu are just friends.. Tell me the keys and subtleness that makes it consider that Ichika and Manatsu does have yuri element..

I actually thought Ichika still likes Sei (cause the way she reacted when she receives a mail from him in the OVA) and wouldn't she want to stay awake at least before Manatsu leaves? It is farewell forever..

Man, everytime I see the ending theme and I remember they will never see each other again.. Oohh, how sad T__T
Old 2007-12-23, 23:30   Link #185
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...Why do some people consider this anime "Yuri"? I actually just think Ichika and Manatsu are just friends.. Tell me the keys and subtleness that makes it consider that Ichika and Manatsu does have yuri element....
I am a fan of many yuri anime, but I remember nothing from this one that made me think it could be called yuri. Maybe the fact that they felt so close to one another and shared a room made people jump to that conclusion? Ichika certainly did like Kai, although that wouldn't rule out yuri feelings for Manatsu. But I think people in the West often misinterpret the closeness of female friendships in East Asia as yuri when they're not. I've made that mistake myself, in fact.

As you can tell by reading my posts from three years ago, I really liked this show. I think it has not received the recognition it deserves.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 06:36   Link #186
Dark Wing

I've seen the anime and read the manga not bad at all. The manga however has more yuri going on then in the anime. Shame it's only on volume long.

@Kaoru Chujo: I really think what makes most people jump to conclusions most of the time is the lack of the yuri genre itself. Say for a hand full of series there isn't much to be found. So some Yuri fans tend to pounce on the closet thing they can call a paring.

Now nost people would think of that as kind of sad but I say let them have their fun. After all good Yuri is hard to find even though it's always in high demand...

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2007-12-24 at 06:48.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 13:37   Link #187
Stephanie

Maybe because of the "kiss" they had in the last episode?
I don't even know what that should symbolize, or why Manatsu or the creators of Uta Kata had to end it that way.. (Fan service?)

And in my opinion, I don't think this is really yuri.. Though Kai and Sei.. Hmm, I might consider them a bit Yaoi, Kai did say he loved Sei in a different way (then we see his serious eyes) Ichika thought he was kidding and laughed off..
Old 2008-01-12, 16:12   Link #188
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Quote:
Why do some people consider this anime "Yuri"? I actually just think Ichika and Manatsu are just friends.. Tell me the keys and subtleness that makes it consider that Ichika and Manatsu does have yuri element..
You're looking into the wrong direction. The yuri pair in this series are Satsuki and Keiko. It's very subtle, but says clearly during the Enoshima episode when they holding hands and reconsider the past together.
paTKany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 21:31   Link #189
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Funny I should turn this thread up and find that is it actually active.

Satsuki and Keiko certainly seem to get closer after both being dumped by the same guy. If you like yuri however, you should read the manga - the mangaka makes it clear that Michiru is in love with Ichika.

One of the things that struck me when I re-watched the DVDs not long ago was that this series must surely break a record for the number of beach episodes since it had two in a single cour.

Oh, and something else that came up recently - does anyone know why, in ep7, Kai is announced as "Shuria-san" by Manatsu and himself when he arrives at Ichika's house?

Last edited by Shiroi Hane; 2008-01-12 at 22:07. Reason: adding someting
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 06:38   Link #190
Ash Falls Town

In my opinion the kiss at the end was meant to be symbolic of being able to love "yourself". What with Manatsu being a sort of mirror image of Ichika ie the same and opposite at the same time.
Because to me the story seems to focus on the fact that both you and humanity do bad things but to be able to still see the good in it inspite of this fact. This is why Ichika refused to sacrifice herself, because she has good in her.
Unfortunately for me at least when I try to study the show further I reach a road block at how I don't know how many people Saya has met before now, which means I have to do a fair bit of extrapolation which depending on what this translates into changes the conclusion I would reach dramatically.
Ash Falls Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 15:52   Link #191
relentlessflame

*Administrator

2 1/2 year later thread bump now that this show has finally been licensed by Sentai Filmworks/Section 23 Films.

I bought this show on Japanese DVD back in the day, but I may actually buy it again now with subs.
Old 2010-08-17, 19:45   Link #192
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
So did I (did you get the Summer Memory boxes?), and I'm definitely buying it again with subs, joblessness be damned.
Old 2010-08-18, 03:32   Link #193
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

A show i really wouldn't mind rewatching, so yeah i'll be buying this release.
Old 2010-08-18, 14:07   Link #194
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I can't really say I liked this series very much, but it was different though. The descent into darkness, touching of issues rarely approached in this genre, and a very notable ending make what would have been a pretty mediocre anime into something that I'll remember.

It's kind of like what I feel about another somewhat subversive Magical Girl anime that came out around the same time-- Nanoha though that is obviously a very different series as well.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 19:03   Link #195
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Oddly, both titles have Tamura Yukari on the cast.
Old 2010-08-22, 15:25   Link #196
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It sure helps. :] This is also one of the few series I will stay tuned to listen to the ED, as opposed to the OP song.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 12:41   Link #197
klare

just finished the 12 eps and the OVA

the story is certainly unique, i expected it to be more like Nanoha, tho in the end it is more about friendship, growing up and moving on

my little complains might be the similar expressions with most characters, the high-tone voices of 14 years old and the lack of explanation about Saya's boss

overall this is an enjoyable series, especially for those who are looking for something different, and yup the ED song is nice
Old 2018-07-01, 07:42   Link #198
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched all episodes + special.

Had this anime for more than 10 years, but never finished it until today. Quite an enjoyable ride, and I regret not watching it sooner. Really sad about Manatsu at the end... but she has to go back to the mirror, because she's a part of it.

Episode with the Darkness Djinn made me teary eyed a bit.. because it reminded me of my kind grandma who pass away last 2013, and my loyal pet brown dog who pass many years ago.

My favorite Ichika costumes would be... the first one with the Sun Djinn by Kadonoso Megumi, it's simplicity is it's beauty. Flame Djinn by Kasihaku (Kannazuki no Miko) looks hot!! I also like the sea Djinn costume designed by Ken Akamatsu.

10/10

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2018-07-01 at 08:05.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-01, 05:16   Link #199
petran79
out of touch with anime

Finished the series as well recently. Did not even know it existed! I liked the emphasis on the protagonists inner turmoil and emotions. That and the focus on character interactions. Series was too short and I hoped they could explore the relations with her friends and the two boys a little more.
I realize though why this narrative and the lack of spectacular animated battles resulted in the series plunge into oblivion. But it is one of the few series where the characters act more down to earth.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-01, 05:49   Link #200
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Glad to see someone else watch this. Well, o ne of the things I liked is Yukarin is here to voice one of the characters.

Quote:
I realize though why this narrative and the lack of spectacular animated battles resulted in the series plunge into oblivion. But it is one of the few series where the characters act more down to earth.
Agree on that. Other magical girl shows with decent fight scenes tend to get better attention. Uta Kata has none of that. She can't even use the power of the djinn to beat up the guy harassing them on episode 2.

But overall, I still enjoyed watching this after finishing all the episodes. Would have been better if Manatsu was able to stay..
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote