Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-02-18, 16:23   Link #181
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
He had to use literally all his cheat advantages to not get slaughtered in the first 30 seconds, and still almost got torn in half before he could finally kill it. He almost died at least 3 times.

That's not without struggle. Without struggle is if he killed the Cerebus without taking any damage at all.
The damage he took was so meaningless it's functionally the same as not taking any damage at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
Reading Dengar's comments here is like reading Guardian Enzo on the Frieren thread to me: there's a level of jadedness that's beyond salvage.
If I am indeed jaded, it's because of this show. Because I haven't had a reaction like this to literally any other show I've ever watched.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-18, 16:54   Link #182
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
^ I liked their conversation overall. The way how the first thing she sees and asks about is the fried chicken, how she naturally takes the bag with it, how she doesn't realize she is asking about a pretty sensitive topic (the dungeon raid) but backs off when she realizes the brother doesn't want to speak about the thing (after he spaces out) or the natural care after seeing him drinking too much beer. Overal the whole flow of it was great (which is exact opposite of the whole previous episode).

In short, she doesn't come off as a heroine with a special position (blood relations), but as a real sister, a person quite close to him, but no romantic tension or anything like that.
Heh, can't help but think this difference is due to the source material being Korean, I mean, if this is a Japanese imouto then we should've had an accidental groping while coming out of the bath or something by now
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-18, 17:16   Link #183
The Green One

And Dengar's logic continues to be as ridiculous as ever. smh
Old 2024-02-18, 17:18   Link #184
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The damage he took was so meaningless it's functionally the same as not taking any damage at all.
In the sense that he can recover to 100% instead of missing the limbs he lost in the first ep, sure. But he only had so many healing items, and he spent some time one bad critical away from dying.

(Or do you mean you don't believe the MC will die in the middle of the season?)

Honestly, I can only advise you to bail. It's not like Frieren where eventually the exam will end. You're rejecting pretty much the basis of the entire series.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-19, 06:30   Link #185
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Seems healing is not that hard to pull consiering Jin's wounds in the first episode. Recap episode next weekend
Old 2024-02-19, 09:03   Link #186
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
In the sense that he can recover to 100% instead of missing the limbs he lost in the first ep, sure. But he only had so many healing items, and he spent some time one bad critical away from dying.

(Or do you mean you don't believe the MC will die in the middle of the season?)

Honestly, I can only advise you to bail. It's not like Frieren where eventually the exam will end. You're rejecting pretty much the basis of the entire series.
Why do people think they can decide for me what I should and shouldn't watch? Please allow me to have fun in the way that I choose. And yes, for like the fiftieth time: I am having fun watching this trainwreck.

What "basis" am I even rejecting? The fact that the protagonist is OP? Because I'm not. I watch plenty of shows with OP protagonists. Even Irregular at Magic High School does that better than this.
Old 2024-02-19, 10:09   Link #187
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Why do people think they can decide for me what I should and shouldn't watch? Please allow me to have fun in the way that I choose. And yes, for like the fiftieth time: I am having fun watching this trainwreck.

What "basis" am I even rejecting? The fact that the protagonist is OP? Because I'm not. I watch plenty of shows with OP protagonists. Even Irregular at Magic High School does that better than this.
Because it doesn't "sound" like you're having fun, sorry. But you do you.
Old 2024-02-19, 10:24   Link #188
Frontier

Quote:
I mean, we could see his HP constantly being depleted and he was very visibly taking damage.
Old 2024-02-19, 10:53   Link #189
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Because it doesn't "sound" like you're having fun, sorry. But you do you.
Fair enough, I assure you. Although I am critiquing it, it is actually a nice change of pace to watch something with a critical eye.

Also I get to watch Shangri-La Frontier the next day, so it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I mean, we could see his HP constantly being depleted and he was very visibly taking damage.
I am sorry for not addressing this, but like, given the alleged power gap between him and the enemy I was expecting the HP meter to go down faster. In fact, it almost felt like every hit just halved his HP rather than dealing a constant amount of damage. Like, as his HP got closer to 0, he just lost less and less HP at a time.

...Also he could just use another full recovery or some other bullshit item to win. Which he did.

......Also, why does this game have potions that have a poison side effect when the only one in the whole game using it has poison immunity?
Old 2024-02-19, 11:02   Link #190
Frontier

Quote:
I am sorry for not addressing this, but like, given the alleged power gap between him and the enemy I was expecting the HP meter to go down faster. In fact, it almost felt like every hit just halved his HP rather than dealing a constant amount of damage. Like, as his HP got closer to 0, he just lost less and less HP at a time.

...Also he could just use another full recovery or some other bullshit item to win. Which he did.

......Also, why does this game have potions that have a poison side effect when the only one in the whole game using it has poison immunity?
It seemed to be going down pretty rapidly during the fight (albeit maybe not as fast as it realistically would have, but I think that's forgivable in this instance).

I don't think he used anything that didn't at least have prior set-up or made sense in the setting. I think the potion wasn't intended for health purposes but worked out that way because of his detox debuff he gained.
Old 2024-02-19, 11:10   Link #191
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The problem isn't that it wasn't set-up. It was. The problem is, there is no tention. He can just think at the menu and pull out any item the plot needs him to have.

He is just never in any danger. The author can bail him out of any situation.
Old 2024-02-19, 11:24   Link #192
The Green One

Quote:

Let's be honest, you've done nothing but complain for the last several weeks. I don't follow your posts religiously, and I'm not a mind reader.

Honestly with how ridiculous your logic has been feeling to me, it makes your posts downright tedious to read which no doubt makes it even easier to me to miss subtext you're probably trying to get across.
Old 2024-02-19, 11:50   Link #193
Frontier

Quote:
The problem isn't that it wasn't set-up. It was. The problem is, there is no tention. He can just think at the menu and pull out any item the plot needs him to have.

I felt the tension from the sheer visceral action and watching his HP drop, especially the final moment, but your mileage may vary.

He finally used the in-game store but that only helped him so much.
Old 2024-02-19, 17:17   Link #194
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

The fact he wasn't able to use his return stone makes it clear the items aren't guaranteed to save him.
Old 2024-02-20, 04:36   Link #195
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Let's be honest, you've done nothing but complain for the last several weeks. I don't follow your posts religiously, and I'm not a mind reader.

Honestly with how ridiculous your logic has been feeling to me, it makes your posts downright tedious to read which no doubt makes it even easier to me to miss subtext you're probably trying to get across.
Sharing my opinion on each episode is "complaining" when it's an opinion you don't like?

Why should it be my problem how you feel reading my posts? I don't control people's perceptions. Should I just stop having an opinion? I thought this was a forum for exchanging opinions.

Also what subtext? I don't even do subtext.

Why am I even needing to defend myself? Why are we talking about me? I'd rather talk about the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I felt the tension from the sheer visceral action and watching his HP drop, especially the final moment, but your mileage may vary.

He finally used the in-game store but that only helped him so much.
I suppose. To me I don't feel anything when the character isn't in any real danger. Even if his HP were to fall to zero he'd probably have used some autorevive beforehand.

Quote:
The fact he wasn't able to use his return stone makes it clear the items aren't guaranteed to save him.
Funny how he only fumbles when it leads to him appearing more "badass" later.
Old 2024-02-20, 14:57   Link #196
Decel

Quote:
If I am indeed jaded, it's because of this show. Because I haven't had a reaction like this to literally any other show I've ever watched.
Haha it's all good

I typically drop shows way before I reach this mood. That being said I must also be somewhat jaded since I didn't expect the popularity level of this show to be so high.
Quote:
I suppose. To me I don't feel anything when the character isn't in any real danger. Even if his HP were to fall to zero he'd probably have used some autorevive beforehand.

Isn't that the characteristic of practically all action shows? Is there an example of a similar situation where you didn't feel what you feel with Solo Leveling?

And I think your sentiment will only be reinforced going forward, because I don't see any future development that would go against what's been shown so far.
Old 2024-02-20, 16:48   Link #197
Frontier

Quote:
I don't really see that any different from the types of shows where you know the protagonist is going to make it out, what matters is the execution of what they're dealing with.
Quote:
Well, it was more that it didn't give him the option of running away.
Old 2024-02-23, 02:28   Link #198
Alchemist007
*Author

Good animation.
Old 2024-02-23, 06:39   Link #199
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

So the apparent reason for the recap is the main actor being ill
Old 2024-02-23, 10:33   Link #200
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
So the apparent reason for the recap is the main actor being ill
Taito Ban is helping make this show and it's taking his health with him (although I think it's just COVID?) .

If this were Funimation they totally would have had a fill-in rather than delay the episode...