AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-14, 03:36   Link #41
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

The problem with this first episode is not only they used mecha-cliche, but they also add the use of power-fantasy LN adaptation cliche between the MC & the girl. Like, seriously, is grabbing panties like an instant reflex thing that anime boys do when they notice a pile of female clothes which are obviously left there by someone who is still bathing near the spot? If they do that then don't blame anyone who accuse them of being perverts when they catch them with the panties still on their hands.

I just hope the following episodes are better. They need to be better after this one cliche-ridden episode. Not even Gundam Wing is this tropey. And that's back in the freakin' 90s. I want to like this anime, but they better start to bring me the goods. At least the art is nice even though the Whatever-saurus reminded me of the Kaijus from Pacific Rim.

Also, many people brought up Star Driver, but I'm actually reminded of the one from Gunbuster 2: Diebuster six years prior to Star Driver:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-01-14, 05:10   Link #42
Westlo
Lets be reality

Really enjoyed the first episode, don't really care that it hit several tropes and cliches, originality is no guarantee of quality, and if I wanted originality I wouldn't be watching anime in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Typical girl meets boy in giant robot complete with bathing scene. Animation is gorgeous as you'd expect from trigger. Not sure how I feel, but definitely worth watching.
Episode 1 animation was pretty much all A-1.... might get more Trigger heavy episodes later but Sushio was like 1 out of 20+ key animators...

This is pretty much Nishigori's iDOLM@STER team with an injection of other talent and help from his ex gainax buddies at Trigger.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 05:24   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Really enjoyed the first episode, don't really care that it hit several tropes and cliches, originality is no guarantee of quality, and if I wanted originality I wouldn't be watching anime in the first place.
It gets hilarious when even anime-fans are calling out how cliche and tropey it is. When that happens, you know you've done something.....not exactly right. Kill la Kill certainly didn't get the same complaint as this.

But again, it's only the first episode. This show can easily turn a lot better afterwards like Argevollen did.

There's also this funny quote regarding the awfully cliche "I encounter a naked girl"-scene:
Quote:
Never once have I nonchalantly picked up a pair of a stranger’s panties. Never once have I seen someone swimming so casually then automatically assumed that they’re drowning after just five seconds of them disappearing from eyesight. But how else would we get this scene?
Old 2018-01-14, 06:02   Link #44
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Every season, there's always at least one show that comes along that has people crawling up from out of the woodwork to defend its list of tasteless, tired anime cliches. Most of the time they're either harem or "cute girls doing thing x" series... This winter, it seems like we can add this to the list.

I wasn't expecting some mind-blowing masterpiece. I don't think anyone going into this was that naive. But there's bad... and then there's bland. Bland is arguably worse than bad, because at least bad is often memorable. And if this doesn't pick up in a couple more episodes, it's not going to be lingering on anybody's mind. Which would be a massive shame because I like the style of the show and the setting has potential. So I hope it gets better... and fast.

Last edited by Kismet-chan; 2018-01-14 at 06:58.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 06:33   Link #45
koti

Best episode of the season so far. Good animation and direction, nice mecha and character design. The whole premise, although generic, was well executed and I found it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
The beginning made me fear why Yabuki was chosen to draw the manga. There might be a lot of nudity.
Why do you say "fear"? I can't wait for it.
koti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 06:47   Link #46
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The problem with this first episode is not only they used mecha-cliche, but they also add the use of power-fantasy LN adaptation cliche between the MC & the girl. Like, seriously, is grabbing panties like an instant reflex thing that anime boys do when they notice a pile of female clothes which are obviously left there by someone who is still bathing near the spot? If they do that then don't blame anyone who accuse them of being perverts when they catch them with the panties still on their hands.
My impression was that he was flabbergasted because no one's supposed to bath in there, so the scenario was puzzling to him at first. Which would match with 002 simply wanting to bathe despite her being explicitly told there was no place to do so. And the picking up the panties was probably just a moment of "wait, is it a girl?" surprise.

The drowning part, yeah, kinda silly, but I guess he wanted an excuse to just join her already .

Anyway, yeah, the episode was very trope-y. I wouldn't say this was LN type fare, this stuff dates way back before LNs, where do you even think LN authors picked it up to begin with? It all felt very typical mecha stuff if anything. Whether it'll go anywhere interesting from here... too early to say, yet, I guess.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 07:22   Link #47
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

seriously, the MC's mecha looks dangerously similar in design with Tauburn of Star Driver which is by studio Bones, minus the Ginga Bishounen jokes.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 07:32   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
My impression was that he was flabbergasted because no one's supposed to bath in there, so the scenario was puzzling to him at first. Which would match with 002 simply wanting to bathe despite her being explicitly told there was no place to do so. And the picking up the panties was probably just a moment of "wait, is it a girl?" surprise.
Of all her clothes, he had to grab the panties, and he had to keep holding it long enough until the owner of the clothes pointed out how perverted he was for holding it the whole time. I hate this cliche which came mainly from rom-com manga & anime which then bleed to harem-fantasy mangas/LNs and their anime adaptations.

Quote:
The drowning part, yeah, kinda silly, but I guess he wanted an excuse to just join her already .
Boy it would've been so much more refreshing if he just strip and join her in the lake . Not many male MCs do that.

Quote:
Anyway, yeah, the episode was very trope-y. I wouldn't say this was LN type fare, this stuff dates way back before LNs, where do you even think LN authors picked it up to begin with? It all felt very typical mecha stuff if anything. Whether it'll go anywhere interesting from here... too early to say, yet, I guess.
The main tropes being used here is certainly not bad in itself. I mean, Gundam Unicorn is a freakin' excellent show and it used the same trope at the start between Banagher & Audrey only for the show to grow better and better from there. You know what's ironic? Gundam Unicorn anime is an adaptation of a light novel of the same name . But Franxx seriously need to better their execution. And ditch the harem-ecchi trope. Mecha show don't need those unless you make it totally hilarious like in Full Metal Panic!, Vandread & Evangelion.
Old 2018-01-14, 07:42   Link #49
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I don't think this is going to be harem-ecchi, I DO think it's going to rely heavily on sexual symbolism but more leaning on the pseudo-philosophy angle than the harem LN-ish angle. We'll see anyway.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 07:43   Link #50
Irenesharda

Quote:
Of all her clothes, he had to grab the panties, and he had to keep holding it long enough until the owner of the clothes pointed out how perverted he was for holding it the whole time. I hate this cliche which came mainly from rom-com manga & anime which then bleed to harem-fantasy mangas/LNs and their anime adaptations.
I honestly don't understand that whole trope, what is so wonderful about panties? Why is there this weird obsession with holding them for so long? It is it a male thing? I've had to wash my brothers underwear before, and believe me, I have absolutely no desire to hold on to the underwear of the opposite sex (especially used ones) for any lengthy amount of time.
That whole scene was honestly the only one I could have done without. The only thing that saved it was that 002 didn't behave like most anime girls do and basically laughed it off.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 08:20   Link #51
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I honestly don't understand that whole trope, what is so wonderful about panties? Why is there this weird obsession with holding them for so long? It is it a male thing? I've had to wash my brothers underwear before, and believe me, I have absolutely no desire to hold on to the underwear of the opposite sex (especially used ones) for any lengthy amount of time.
That whole scene was honestly the only one I could have done without. The only thing that saved it was that 002 didn't behave like most anime girls do and basically laughed it off.
Normal guys might drool in excitement when they see a hot girl in (hot) underwear and normal guys might find used panties as turn-on during sexual foreplay or intercourse, but I think you have to be on "another level" to solely enjoy the novelty of used panties just for the sake of it. I sure as hell don't behave that way. That "other level" might be what many people call as "perverts".
Old 2018-01-14, 08:28   Link #52
Galaxian

Was I the only one reminded of Dominic and Anemone from Eureka Seven?
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 08:45   Link #53
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Was I the only one reminded of Dominic and Anemone from Eureka Seven?
For me, not really. The interaction and the chemistry is quite different.
Old 2018-01-14, 08:59   Link #54
DemonneoPT

Quote:

Boy it would've been so much more refreshing if he just strip and join her in the lake . Not many male MCs do that.

The main tropes being used here is certainly not bad in itself. I mean, Gundam Unicorn is a freakin' excellent show and it used the same trope at the start between Banagher & Audrey only for the show to grow better and better from there. You know what's ironic? Gundam Unicorn anime is an adaptation of a light novel of the same name . But Franxx seriously need to better their execution. And ditch the harem-ecchi trope. Mecha show don't need those unless you make it totally hilarious like in Full Metal Panic!, Vandread & Evangelion.
I completely agree with this. Like i said before they made the male MC way too weak, boring and letting him do the same ecchi stuff we see in every harem show these days does not help it either. In contraste 002, even tho she was in the same cliche situation, she managed to stay fresh and interesting. Like you said, if the guy just stripped and joined the girl in the lake, it would immediately be a massive improvement from what we had. They would still have their funny and fanservice moment while avoiding the same old bs we usually see in harem stuff. That's the type of stuff i expect from Trigger, besides the cool art style and animation.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 10:00   Link #55
drawr

This premiere made me feel like I saw this show before. I don't think much is original at this point, but something about this gave me serious deja vu. I think generic ideas when used well can be fun, but aside from zero-two's energetic and mysterious character(which is probably a really simple puzzle anyway) I couldn't be less interested in anything happening. The main character, whatever his name was, is so painfully boring to hear and watch. I guess it doesn't help several other premieres also had mcs just like him. I know the point of a lot of these types of shows is for people to love the girls, but you can still make the mcs fun too, you know? Go hog wild and give them more than one personality trait, even.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 10:29   Link #56
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Also, many people brought up Star Driver, but I'm actually reminded of the one from Gunbuster 2: Diebuster six years prior to Star Driver:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yeah, 02 can easily pass as Nono's long lost sister
Old 2018-01-14, 10:30   Link #57
wuhugm
Confused Shark

That Frankxx is Tauburn from Star Driver lol

So why were her partners all dead?
Is that kiss a requirement or what?
The other pairs don't do that
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 10:32   Link #58
Roxanne
メンバー

Zero is my favorite girl character in the series <3
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 11:20   Link #59
AB079
Banned

Holy shit, the manga adaptation of Darling in the Franxx will get a 127 page special chapter in the next Shonen Jump issue. It's said that will cover the first and second episode of the anime.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 11:21   Link #60
Mistyclear

Wow it really is from star driver, it looks practically identical—except apparently the machine moves it’s mouth, looks like it talks (although it’s actually the the horned chick). Wonder about the connection between her and the robot.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote