Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-23, 00:20   Link #1221
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Looking at how many of the kids were killed, I thought was overdone. 5 in one class? Hard to believe really, especially if you look at it statistically. That class must have been hammered. Much more likely for there to be 1 dead, 2 would be statistically unlikely, and very unusual. More then that puts it at the very limit of probability. How do I figure? Estimate Tokyo's Population, estimate potential number of casualties, arrive at a percentage. Compress that for a class of 40 students. It wouldn't be unusual for there to be classes with none killed. Some of the students may well have lost family members, but none of the kids themselves. Other classes as I mentioned before maybe 1 or 2 if unlucky. Meh, anyway, like I said, overdone.
What you're saying makes sense, although I agree with saravis that it is somewhat beside the dramatic point. The only thing I might suggest about your estimates is that the damage was greater in certain areas, because of the location of the epicenter, etc. Both Mari's and Mirai's neighborhoods were approximately straight west from the epicenter and were apparently badly hit. So basing estimates on averages over the whole metropolitan population could be quite off. And even if some classes lost no-one, others would naturally lose more than the average.

I think enjoyment of this show may to some extent depend on what individuals are looking for in anime. I'm willing to accept a little melodrama for the sake of getting interesting characters and strong emotional impact. Others are suspicious of easy emotional impact and loathe anything that smacks of melodrama. I like many Asian TV dramas, although some of them can be too artificially melodramatic even for me.

It really strikes me how much some people hate Mirai, who is the centre of the show, the person whose eyes we have to see everything through. If you can't get into her feelings, it's very hard to enjoy this show, I think. I enjoyed her even when she was at her worst. She seemed pretty real to me, whereas Yuuki was too goody two-shoes for my taste, although also not unrealistic.

Overall, I'd say this isn't the masterpiece I thought it might be at first, but it is still an excellent anime, for me. As long as Yuuki is an illusion rather than a ghost, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-09-23 at 02:06.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 05:30   Link #1222
Divaa

Now as I try to sit here making a video dedicated to Yuuki I cant find a song that fits just right. Anyone got any songs?

Think TM8 was one of my favorite shows this season.
Divaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 08:51   Link #1223
kamikazex

i just watched 1-12 right now and something seemed off since episode 9 or 10ish. and episode 11 only made me wtf even more and episode 12 confirmed that he infact was a spirt or ghost or whatever. i dont know about you guys but i kinda got goosebumps lol but it was a pretty good series.
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 15:35   Link #1224
gtr06
Golden Watch

What show is replacing this series at this time slot
gtr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 15:46   Link #1225
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kuuchuu Buranko by Nakamura Kenji and the team at Toei who brought us Bakeneko and Mononoke.

A fairly up-to-date list of Noitamina offerings is maintained on its Wikipedia page.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 22:33   Link #1226
klare

while watching eps 11, sand keeps blowing into my eyes...

it was good, feel like watching J drama, makes me want to hug Mirai-chan

my overall thoughts on the series:
- started and ended very well, good and realistic story, likeable characters
- sometimes feel a bit draggy, especially the 2 eps of "is he dead?" but still cannot stop it to be one of my favourites in Spring
- the ED is one of the best songs in this season
- my favorite character: Mirai, of course

i hope in reality no such quake will happen
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 03:02   Link #1227
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i hope in reality no such quake will happen
Not sure how big an earthquake it was (the "recent" one in China), but it was pretty big and a lot of people died partly due to the quake and partly due to horribly built buildings. Entire villages were wiped out.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 08:18   Link #1228
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Just got to watch the subbed Last after almost a week......Stupid subs.

This episode is......simply excellent. I can't really cry or shed tears for long but this episode nearly makes it, pretty much like Shinkai Makoto's Triple Tradegies. Mirai has gone hard to stand up against her sorrows without too much success (rather, it's her dead brother supported her all along even when she didn't know it), and it's glad that she finally made it and return to her normal life------uh, not really normal, but she's making use to it.
And that's the whole point of the series. People may need to face deaths and leaves of their beloved, and while it can be painful, it's necessary to stand up again and move forward. TM8 hails both in pretty successful ways.

The whole series is a pretty well-constructed reality drama (I don't feel the gost parts are draggy, since I treated it as illusions when signs of Yuuki's death are popping out) and simply emotional, while not really that emo-freak like other series do.
Simply an overall 10/10 and listed as one of my favs along with Shinkai's works.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 11:33   Link #1229
cdkobasiuk
Mommy on a Bender

Need more tissues

Spent more than half the last episode bawling my eyes out. It is really hard to read the subs when everything is so blurry. I think this is the best series I've seen in a long time.

cdk
cdkobasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 17:41   Link #1230
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divaa View Post
Now as I try to sit here making a video dedicated to Yuuki I cant find a song that fits just right. Anyone got any songs?

Think TM8 was one of my favorite shows this season.
I can't find a youtube vid for the song, but how about Red Road by Pale Green?

http://www.last.fm/music/Pale+Green

The song is pretty darn sad, and I'm in Blue and Diving Deep are good songs too. I want to see the vid when you finish though!
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 00:04   Link #1231
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

oh man, episode 9 slayed me. talk about an emotional rollercoaster.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 04:44   Link #1232
xKeen

I said a few weeks earlier I didn't experience an earthquake(this time its different compared to an earthquake).Yesterday I did D: Just a bit of a nudge for around 30 seconds.Not really near to the earthquake,but at a neighboring country.I was reminded of this show when it happened D:
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 08:35   Link #1233
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Indoenesian ones? Seems like a lot of shit's coming down here in SEA. First the typhoon batters us in the Philippines, which goes and batters Vietnam, and now earthquakes in Indonesia.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 12:37   Link #1234
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I ended up being "okay" with the series though I still would have preferred we see Mirai from Mari's point of view (her talking to thin air). Basically, the writer's seemed to have gone "poetic" in the last part.

This is not terribly unusual in japanese literature (freely mixing daily reality with daily spirituality). But the OP implied we were getting a docu-drama when we actually got a "coming of age" story.

Meh, whatever, we've all stated our positions and views -- I end up giving this series a "8". Its worth recommending as long as I caution that it isn't "simply an adventure story".
Old 2009-10-01, 12:46   Link #1235
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I ended up being "okay" with the series though I still would have preferred we see Mirai from Mari's point of view (her talking to thin air).
Well, in the end we actually got even that, when Mirai was talking with Yuki's friend - her "talking to the air", and all.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 00:03   Link #1236
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

last ep. why. tears at the beginning, the middle was well done, then tears at the end. when she got that text, oh my god. i absolutely hate it when directors have that added in because it gets me EVERY TIME. the communicating after death thing.. then the present, and the "i'm grateful that you were born my brother" and the montage. the song at that point is so powerful as well.

Mirai definitely matured a great amount in the last few eps, and it was good to see that she finally became the adult she always wanted to be at the end. i remember how much i hated her character in the first few eps. and thank god, Mari ended up alright. an incredibly solid and realistic series (aside from the ghost of course).

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2009-10-02 at 00:40.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 01:00   Link #1237
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Goddammit. I knew Yuuki was an illusion/ghost/figment of an insane mind right after the hospital episode (eps 9?), but man, I was bawling tears at the final episode. T_T

I'd say overall the series was good, but it's one of those series that's so depressing that I probably won't touch it ever again, like 5cm/s and the j-drama Hoshi no Kinka.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 18:20   Link #1238
Spinner187
Too old for Anime?

Just finish this series today, I stop at episode 6 awhile back because I become bored with it.
But today I decided, "Well I am half done with it, let me get the rest and finish it".

Episode 7 and 8 I was going in and out of coma toast(not the series fault, my room's temperature became too comfortable).

Started to stay alert during episode 9 and I started to speculate "Ok who going to die, someone or someone related to someone is going to dead by the end of this series".

Episode 10 was kind of a mindjob but I seen this type of ploy in other anime. Nothing new..

Episode 11, what the hell "I AM A MAN, WHY AM I CRYING DAM IT, Don't turn girly over an anime".

I give the series 9/10 ...was boring in the middle, but the ending got me.
Spinner187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 11:40   Link #1239
yura`

Like most others, the last episode really touched me as well - my eyes kept welling up with tears, and the montage of Yuuki's life at the end was absolutely touching, but most of all, it's also seeing how much Mirai has developed as a person as she really comes to embody her name. Hope of looking forward to the future, because of the courage that Yuuki has given her.

I'm actually quite inclined to viewing Yuuki as a ghost, especially given the cultural context (and being Asian myself). The last episode especially made this very clear, I thought, as Yuuki leads her home and having fulfilled his promise and 'duty', is able to depart in peace... there's probably a lot more to say on this, but I'll just leave it at that.

I really enjoyed the anime overall. I have to say that I actually never viewed it as a docu-drama from the start - I think the opening episode of Mirai's angst-ridden tirade against the world and her less-than-happy family life was already indicative of what was to come. We are given glimpses of others around her occasionally, and as much as possible, realistic portrayals of the situation, but ultimately Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is still a bildungsroman that is about Mirai's journey. A rewatch with that in mind will probably make me appreciate the story more.
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 04:41   Link #1240
tkcom
Killjoy-sama

Just finished it and whoa! I really like the street-level, limited-knowledge suspense just like what we got from Cloverfield. But still... that... erm... "Sixth Sense" ending kinda bugged me a bit. After the first 4 eps, I kept thinking it's gonna be like...

Spoiler for My ending:

Don't you hate making expectation for this kind of stuff?

Anyway, I still can't believe how intense it was for both action and emotion. I think we should be glad to see something like this being made in the way that we'd start to appreciate those who work and volunteer for disaster relief even more.
tkcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy