AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: My-Otome Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 48 27.12%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 29.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 20.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 9.60%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 2.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.13%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 3.95%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-29, 19:36   Link #401
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
You bring up so very valid points and thats why people need to stop hating on Sergey i dont think he has any romatic feelings for Nina in that way even when he says "to Protect my most important person" i think he ment it in a fatherly way he wants to protect his child majority of parents in real life would kill if it ment protecting their child. Also, in terms of underage sex not every country has the same laws the U.S. does sexual consent is lower in some countries and since the show is ment for the japanese auidence im sure they didnt find it sick or twisted. I think the man did what he had to di witht he cards he was delt. What would any of us do with the world on the bring of destruction and the most important person to us could be the cause.
I am sure there are plent of non-animewatchers who would consider Mai-Otome's entirety to be sick and twisted. Underage soldiers, sexual innuendos up to the eyeballs, assassinations, attempted rape...

No. Sergay does not love Nina romantically or even sexually. Not before, and certainly not now. (Future? I doubt it but you never know.)

Does what happened disturb people? It should, because Sergay is disturbed by it too. The world of Mai Otome is not all milk and cookies.
Old 2006-03-29, 19:38   Link #402
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli
Heh, you should've gone to my high school in the US. Those girls were having sex at 13 Granted it was with boys close their age but still....I was rather shocked. My dad would've kicked my ass if I'd done that.

Not so surprising now since I keep seeing a bunch of pregnant 13 year olds running around in LA...or at least pushing strollers with their gangster b-friends. LOL

*sigh* kids in the US are stupid these days.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-03-29, 19:46   Link #403
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
IThe world of Mai Otome is not all milk and cookies.
That brought to mind an interesting mental image. Must stop reading Lewis Carroll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
*sigh* kids in the US are stupid these days.
It's because they have equally stupid parents who are still clinging to the fantasy of abstinence and refuse to actually
teach their child something useful about the do's and don'ts of sexual intercourse.
Old 2006-03-29, 19:51   Link #404
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
That brought to mind an interesting mental image. Must stop reading Lewis Carroll.

It's because they have equally stupid parents who are still clinging to the fantasy of abstinence and refuse to actually
teach their child something useful about the do's and don'ts of sexual intercourse.

Very true...the parents of these kids are also illegal aliens too (I live a city down from east LA) ...people from the border here won't care what their kids do.

EDIT: Woops! Okay let's make my post Otome related....ummm...okay will get back to you...*sigh* I need to wtch something wholesome right now since all I can think of of Shiznat in the sac.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-03-29, 20:05   Link #405
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
I am sure there are plent of non-animewatchers who would consider Mai-Otome's entirety to be sick and twisted. Underage soldiers, sexual innuendos up to the eyeballs, assassinations, attempted rape...

No. Sergay does not love Nina romantically or even sexually. Not before, and certainly not now. (Future? I doubt it but you never know.)

Does what happened disturb people? It should, because Sergay is disturbed by it too. The world of Mai Otome is not all milk and cookies.
Dude Shakugan No Shana is probably even more twisted than Mai Otome.

Funny thing though that in this year I've seen far more incest/yuri/yaoi than ever before in my previous years. Even American Dad had incest in it with even more crazier antics in Family guy So it's not just the japanese.

As for Nina, it's still a very good question about SErgay's intentions if he truly does love Nina romantically or sexually but we can agree (I think) that he has displayed self-restraint. I mean for cripes sake, he had a 15 year old girl sitting naked right next to him before that and he refused to return her love. I would think romantically would be a better term.
Old 2006-03-29, 20:06   Link #406
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Heh, you should've gone to my high school in the US. Those girls were having sex at 13 Granted it was with boys close their age but still....I was rather shocked. My dad would've kicked my ass if I'd done that.
That's a completely different ball game though, since the boys are close to their age.
If both parties are underage, you can't throw both of them in prison for statutory rape.

If Sergay is the same age as Yuuichi was in MH, there wouldn't be any outcry against NinaxSergay.
Old 2006-03-29, 20:12   Link #407
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon
That's a completely different ball game though, since the boys are close to their age. If both parties are underage, you can't throw both of them in prison for statutory rape.
If you lived in the Midwest, they'd sure try All kidding aside, though, I already got your point.
Quote:
If Sergay is the same age as Yuuichi was in MH, there wouldn't be any outcry against NinaxSergay.
And I totally agree with that. For me I think it's less of the age thing and more of the father/daughter thing despite their lack of blood relation. SHE still think he's her father and sees him in that role. The fact that she has romantic/sexual feelings for him in that role is what skeeves me.
Old 2006-03-29, 20:53   Link #408
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
If you lived in the Midwest, they'd sure try All kidding aside, though, I already got your point.
* phew *
I'm glad you're kidding, I DO live in the Midwest (Indiana).

This still brings about another important question:
How would US licensing companies deal with this issue?
- Simply passing up on MO?
- Increase Nina's age and/or decrease Sergay's age?
- Made Nina call him Onii-sama ala Shiho in MH?
Old 2006-03-29, 21:08   Link #409
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
* phew *
I used to live in Amarillo so I totally understand.
Quote:
Honestly, I've been thinking about that ever since Mai HiME. American audiences are ridiculously prudish sometimes and I can see American parents having a bloody fit about all of this. We definitely don't want any more ammunition for the likes of Jerry Falwell or Fred Phelps. I'd like to think that American audiences would be mature about the subject matter but...I don't have very much faith in that.

Last edited by Kieli; 2006-03-29 at 21:21.
Old 2006-03-29, 21:08   Link #410
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
* phew *

Heh....try downtown LA where they sell themselves on street corners.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-03-29, 21:56   Link #411
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Honestly, I've been thinking about that ever since Mai HiME. American audiences are ridiculously prudish sometimes and I can see American parents having a bloody fit about all of this. We definitely don't want any more ammunition for the likes of Jerry Falwell or Fred Phelps. I'd like to think that American audiences would be mature about the subject matter but...I don't have very much faith in that.

Sadly America has become more and more conservative over the years. It's pretty sad that we have to actually pre-censor stuff in a way, to make sure we don't offend someone who will pick up a torch and march over the matter. Or even worse, sue. I think most Americans are mature enough to handle the subject matter, the problem is all of those ignorant parents and special interest groups who might take offense or see an opportunity to gain power and push an agenda. So here we are, trying to be politically correct, treading softly, hoping not to break any eggs. There is hope, that people will wake up and realise how silly it's all gotten, and eventually there will be enough of us to actually do something about it. Until then, it's a pita climate to be in. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still happy to live here.

Anyways, I'm still sticking with Sergei loving Nina. I don't think he was using her, or just doing her request to protect her. There was too much emotion in that scene between both of them to suggest that was all it was.
Old 2006-03-29, 22:10   Link #412
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
Heh....try downtown LA where they sell themselves on street corners.

--Lone Wolf
You're kidding, right?
Things like that should only exist in 3rd world countries...

Btw, sick as it may sound, I'm really curious to see Arika's reaction to Nina's deed.
Will she step aside and support them?
Or will she try to separate them?

---------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku
Sadly America has become more and more conservative over the years. It's pretty sad that we have to actually pre-censor stuff in a way, to make sure we don't offend someone who will pick up a torch and march over the matter. Or even worse, sue. I think most Americans are mature enough to handle the subject matter, the problem is all of those ignorant parents and special interest groups who might take offense or see an opportunity to gain power and push an agenda. So here we are, trying to be politically correct, treading softly, hoping not to break any eggs. There is hope, that people will wake up and realise how silly it's all gotten, and eventually there will be enough of us to actually do something about it. Until then, it's a pita climate to be in. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still happy to live here.
Are you serious?
Back in my parents' days, even swearing was considered taboo by American public.
Let alone anything remotely sexual.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm still sticking with Sergei loving Nina. I don't think he was using her, or just doing her request to protect her. There was too much emotion in that scene between both of them to suggest that was all it was.
He certainly wasn't using her, that much is for sure.
But up to ep. 24, there was absolutely no indication of him loving her in a romantic way.
Which is why SergayxNina happening was a huge surprise to me.
Old 2006-03-29, 22:14   Link #413
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
Things like that should only exist in 3rd world countries...

Btw, sick as it may sound, I'm really curious to see Arika's reaction to Nina's deed.
Will she step aside and support them?
Or will she try to separate them?
Slums ARE 3rd world countires in their own right. What should or shouldn't exist won't change what actually exists.

And what is there to support? Sergay didn't do what he did because of romantic love, no matter what Nina might think.
Old 2006-03-29, 22:24   Link #414
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Slums ARE 3rd world countires in their own right. What should or shouldn't exist won't change what actually exists.
Yes, I know.
But she was talking about DOWNTOWN LA.

One would think that the whole downtown would be well patrolled by police...

Quote:
And what is there to support? Sergay didn't do what he did because of romantic love, no matter what Nina might think.
* cough * I was just trying to stay on topic * cough *

Personally, I agree with you.
But I'm sure others have their own take.
Old 2006-03-29, 22:31   Link #415
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
But up to ep. 24, there was absolutely no indication of him loving her in a romantic way.
There is STILL no proof of SergayxNina.

The sex was for practical reasons only. Sergay knows that, though I am not sure if Nina knows that. (i,e, Sergay had sex with Nina to take away her Otome robe powers, NOT because he is romantically in love with her. That's also why Nina asked for the same thing.)
Old 2006-03-29, 22:48   Link #416
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
What makes you think he does love her romantically? It's hardly a prerequisite for sex.
Old 2006-03-29, 22:48   Link #417
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to Prodigious Send a message via MSN to Prodigious Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigious
Quote:

The sex was for practical reasons only. Sergay knows that, though I am not sure if Nina knows that. (i,e, Sergay had sex with Nina to take away her Otome robe powers, NOT because he is romantically in love with her. That's also why Nina asked for the same thing.)
Sorry but I have to call BS on that one. It was not about practicality. He loves Nina, if not romantically at least as a daughter. That is why he slept with her "allegedly." She loves him romantically and is an emotional wreck at this point. He wanted to be there for her.

I suggest you rewatch that scene again. She disrobes and asks him to take away her powers. He dismisses it instantly and looks away. It isn't until she breaks down, starts crying, and admits that she'll never be able to replace Rena Sayers his "blue star" that he takes her into his arms. It had nothing to do with practicality, it was the only way he would be able to comfort her at this point.
Old 2006-03-29, 22:52   Link #418
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigious
Sorry but I have to call BS on that one. It was not about practicality. He loves Nina, if not romantically at least as a daughter. That is why he slept with her "allegedly." She loves him romantically and is an emotional wreck at this point. He wanted to be there for her.

I suggest you rewatch that scene again. She disrobes and asks him to take away her powers. He dismisses it instantly and looks away. It isn't until she breaks down, starts crying, and admits that she'll never be able to replace Rena Sayers his "blue star" that he takes her into his arms. It had nothing to do with practicality, it was the only way he would be able to comfort her at this point.
So since when is loving someone as a daughter makes a "x" relationship?
No romantic feelings = No AxB relationship.
Old 2006-03-29, 22:56   Link #419
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
What makes you think he does love her romantically? It's hardly a prerequisite for sex.
You guys got it wrong, I never said that Sergay loved Nina romantically, before or after ep. 24.

I said that them having sex surprised me because I know Sergay considered Nina as his daughter.
I would never be able to "do the deed" with anyone I consider a family member, regardless of the circumstances.
My "weapon" simply won't function.
Old 2006-03-29, 23:22   Link #420
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Are you serious? Back in my parents' days, even swearing was considered taboo by American public. Let alone anything remotely sexual.

He certainly wasn't using her, that much is for sure.
Yes, I'm serious. But then again America has a bunch of hypocritical prudes who try to filter what the rest of us see, hear, think, speak, and do. It's not a popular opinion, but it is mine.

Well the indications we get are from Nina's side. Sergei understands her feelings, but he is torn on what to do, so he tries to brush off her advances, and devote himself purely to his duty to Nagi, and his duty as Nina's father. So when the moment finally came, I wasn't suprised at all. This isn't some great romantic love that spans the series, it wasn't exactly the focus of the show either (insert negative comments about Sunrise plot development here). Nina may love Sergei more, but if Sergei didn't love her in some romantic sense he wouldn't have slept with her. He was struggling with his personal feelings when he made the choice to stop making excuses. The reason he fell in love with Arika was because she reminded him of Rena. He let go of his love of Rena and gave it to Nina instead. That's how I see it anyway, so I think it's best to just agree to disagree.

If it wasn't romantic, how would you classify it? Buddy sex? Comfort sex? Utility sex? Nina seducing Sergei? The flashbacks during the kiss gave me the impression the relationship evolved from family love, to teen crush, to romantic love. Did I get the wrong impression?
Closed Thread