AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2016-06-23, 00:06   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 830 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler summary's out, courtesy of Sandman from AP:

-Chapter title is "The guy I can bet on". Splash page features Silvers Rayleigh.

-Before meeting with Big Mom, Jinbei told his old Sun pirate comrades that he intends to join the Straw-Hats. The fish-pirates support his decision, but.... there's one catch. It turns out that Aladdin of the Sun pirates has married one of Big Mom's daughters, Purarine (who's a half fish-person herself, of the hammerhead shark type), making the Sun pirates official members of Big Mom's family. Furthermore, Purarine explains that all the past people who went to Charlotte to tell her they quit were all killed.....

-Back to Jinbei's meeting with Big Mom, he indeed expresses his intention of quitting. And quite surprisingly, Charlotte is cool with his decision! She explains that as pirates, they should live however they desire. However..... quitting means that she'll be sacrificing a powerful piece like Jinbei. And thus.... the knight of the sea must ALSO sacrifice something of his! She then has her men bring out a roulette wheel, which has pictures of body parts like arms, legs, and the head.....

-Back to Luffy's group, Pedro explains that long ago he was a pirate with Pekoms, and the two of them invaded Big Mom's territory in order to locate her Red Poneglyph. Unfortunately, the both of them were defeated. Pedro also says he was surprised that the two leaders of Zou showed Luffy the Poneglyph at Zou, as the last person to see it was Gold Roger 26 years ago. It clearly means that Inuarashi and Nekomamushi have great expectations for the young pirate.

-Soon, Luffy's gang finally arrive at Whole Cake Island. Someone seems to be waiting for them at the shore......

Last edited by marvelB; 2016-06-23 at 03:17.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 03:04   Link #2
laughingwalls

Is there a blank space on the roulette wheel?
laughingwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 03:16   Link #3
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingwalls View Post
Is there a blank space on the roulette wheel?

Nope. There's pictures of body parts, numbers (which seem to be for points, but probably has a more sinister meaning behind them), and a head wearing a crown. Not sure what the meaning of that last symbol is, but I'm already seeing several people speculate that Jinbei's gonna be wearing an eyepatch or peg leg by the end of this arc, lol.

BTW, Aladdin's wife is actually pretty cute.... though also a little sinister-looking at the same time (what with the fangs). And speaking of Aladdin..... apparently, the official spelling of his name is "Aladine" now. Guess Oda (or his bosses) wanted to avoid any further copyright infringement, lol?
Old 2016-06-23, 03:22   Link #4
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Maybe others will prefer Aladine as Aladdin because you know.. Who knows Aladdin got magic lamp to summon genie XD

Best expectation is he is wearing eyepatch but isn't entire treasure of Fishman Island has been given to Big Mom? I remember that Luffy hands the entire treasure of Fishman Island to Big Mom which it can be used as compensation as well.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 07:49   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i guess they have to take a limb from jinbei so they can make him more "equal" to the rest of the crew
Old 2016-06-23, 08:54   Link #6
Trax
Rock beats scissors

So... Standing at the shore is probably Jinbei missing a limb?
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 09:32   Link #7
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

No action goes without true purpose
This was a good chapter but Big Mama is acting out of character. No one has ever lived to leave Big Mama? So why is Jinbi the exception? This is just my opinion but big mom knows what kind of person Luffy is and she want Luffy to come willingly. So what better way then to hurt Luffy's Nakama. If Luffy is anything like Ace or Gold Rogers, he won't let this slide for any of his crew. She is trying to spark a confrontation with Luffy and she knows how to push Luffy's button. I believe she is more devious then anything else. A crippled Jinbi will do exactly that. Jinbi should not play into this game he should fight the Yonkou and prolong it until Luffy comes. Thats why he had Aladdin scout and confirm Luffy's presence at the end of chapter 826. Who knows it might be Luffy and Jinbi vs. Big Mama. This should be interesting to see how Oda will pull Luffy out of the frying pan now.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 12:41   Link #8
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
i guess they have to take a limb from jinbei so they can make him more "equal" to the rest of the crew
Yeah, that's probably Oda's way of having Jinbe join the Strawhats without disturbing the monster trio power dynamic. If he's missing an arm or a leg, or possibly both, he's probably sitting right in-between Sanji and Franky. I like this a lot from a storytelling perspective, but as a fan of Jinbe I kind of hate it.

/edit: On a sidenote though, I think Jinbe losing one or more limbs is an excellent way to make him fit within the concept of the Strawhats constantly growing stronger over time. Think about it, Jinbe is a seasoned pirate, he doesn't get any stronger than this, not by much at least. He's either in his prime right now or slightly past it, he already has years upon years of experience of fighting on the sea, there's little room for him to grow much stronger, unless he were to eat a devil fruit, perhaps. However, weakening Jinbe by taking away some of his physical capabilities changes this whole paradigm. Now we have this character at a lower point, missing a limb, but with more room to grow, as he'll be able to adjust his style accordingly over time. By the end of the series he may reach a similar power level to his prime even. This means taking a limb away from Jimbei allows him to join the crew without disrupting the monster trio and with room to grow stronger (again).

Last edited by ZGoten; 2016-06-23 at 13:01.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 12:52   Link #9
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Ok, Jinbe is way too honorable to a fault. Screw that wheel of doom. Drop in your resignation and leave. Or at the very least have Luffy and company get there before anything ridiculous can happen.

Certainly a full-powered Jinbe would mess with the power balance a bit, but who cares? We know that even Jinbe has his limits and you need the crew to get past where he is in terms of current strength anyways. Don't need to disable him to make that work.

Not to say they won't cripple Jinbe, but I just won't like the plot going there.
Old 2016-06-23, 13:16   Link #10
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Yeah, that's probably Oda's way of having Jinbe join the Strawhats without disturbing the monster trio power dynamic. If he's missing an arm or a leg, or possibly both, he's probably sitting right in-between Sanji and Franky. I like this a lot from a storytelling perspective, but as a fan of Jinbe I kind of hate it.
Speaking of Franky... let's say Jinbei lost a leg. Franky can repair that for him pretty easily and it might end up being more powerful than his original leg.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 13:16   Link #11
Orochiro

I\m guessing the crowned head in the "roulette" is Big Mom's head so it could be something like she gets to pick what the person loses, or she eats/fights him.
Orochiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 13:34   Link #12
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Speaking of Franky... let's say Jinbei lost a leg. Franky can repair that for him pretty easily and it might end up being more powerful than his original leg.
That would certainly be possible, but I can see Jinbe declining, because he's too honorable and it would feel like betraying a deal to him.
Old 2016-06-23, 15:32   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

no no Jinbei.. please don't become the next crew we need girls...
I wonder what kind of price he would pay for this

seems like not all Big Mom's kids are loyal to their mom
that means most of them are negotiable and act on their own judgment

I can feel some death flag on Tiger-dude.. stealing phoneglyph and rescuing Sanji sounds pretty hard to do them in same time
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 15:50   Link #14
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Ok, Jinbe is way too honorable to a fault. Screw that wheel of doom. Drop in your resignation and leave. Or at the very least have Luffy and company get there before anything ridiculous can happen.
I think the reason Jinbei is doing things this way is to avoid incurring Big Mom's wrath (hence his conversation with Praline). If he tried to simply abandon the crew, Big Mom might get angry and take it out on either his crew or on fishman island. By leaving her crew in such a formal/honorable manner he can leave on good terms and thus avoid a more devastating retribution down the line.
Old 2016-06-23, 15:58   Link #15
Rainbowman

With the situation Jinbe is in, I predict he would end up with an eyepatch, peg leg, and a hook for a hand. Gotta ask, is hair on that roulette wheel? I'm guessing Jinbe has some pride in that Japanese ponytail and having it removed might affect some sort of status he might have.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 17:20   Link #16
marvelB

As others said, I'm also pretty sure that Jinbei's sense of honor is the reason why he's sticking around for Big Mom's Roulette o' Doom. Offending her means more trouble for his people, so better to show her some face and lose a limb now rather than risk a far greater catastrophe happening later. Besides, did Jinbei not make it clear at the very beginning of this chapter that he was willing to sacrifice his life for the Strat-Hats' sake? The roulette pretty much already serves as a test of loyalty to his future shipmates. I don't think he'd mind losing an arm or leg if it serves to help Luffy in some way....

Oh, and about the eyepatch: I may have joked about earlier, but on a serious note I highly doubt our fish-friend will be wearing one. I brought this up before, but Oda said in a past interview that he refrained from showing pirates with eyepatches because he wanted to reserve that particular symbol of a pirate for a character he'll introduce near the end of the series. So for all we know, it probably won't be until Raftel when we see that eyepatch pirate, lol.
Old 2016-06-23, 18:08   Link #17
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
That would certainly be possible, but I can see Jinbe declining, because he's too honorable and it would feel like betraying a deal to him.
I was thinking that too. I can see it as Jinbei having too much honor to repair it, then after an arc or two, he needs a power-up and reluctantly gets the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
...So for all we know, it probably won't be until Raftel when we see that eyepatch pirate, lol.
Sounds about right. That's pretty interesting.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 18:37   Link #18
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Hmm I agree with everyone that said we might get a watered down Jinbei (if he joins), and it kind of bugs me a little bit... I'd rather see him take a role like Law where he is part of an alliance with the strawhats (and at full power) than join the crew.

But now that I mentioned Law... Maybe he could reattach any lost limbs that Jinbei may incur due to the wrath of big mom... Unless she eats them off.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 21:54   Link #19
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Yeah, no idea who that is. That person must have met the Strawhats the night before, when they were thawing the sea.
Old 2016-06-23, 22:03   Link #20
marvelB

BTW, forgot to mention it earlier, but Pedro's story about being a former pirate just makes me more suspicious of him than ever. At least, I think it's safe to say that the failed attack on WCI is what led to Pekoms joining Big Mom, but.... what did Pedro do afterwards? Did he just go straight back to Zou? Or.... as did he take a leaf from Pekoms' book and swear allegiance to an emperor, as well? In particular..... Kaidou?

That being said, I actually am open to the idea of Pedro's shady behavior being a red herring, but... well, food for thought, right? Also, going back to the eyepatch thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Sounds about right. That's pretty interesting.

Funny coincidence, but Sandman over at AP actually dug up Oda's quote about the eyepatch! From this thread (which actually has some other neat obscure info), here's the quote in question, with accompanying pic:

Quote:

Policy Suplex Hold!!

It doesn’t really matter if you know or don’t know the thing called the One Para Column, but this appears to be last of behind the scenes talk. The last story to tell is more of a behind the scenes policy, rather than a behind the scenes story. So what is a "pirate"? If you ask someone with artistic talents to draw a pirate, you will normally get a sketch that looks like this... or this ....

Indeed, a pirate. Very easy to understand, but if you take off the eye patch, there's a big difference to one with, and one without (the one without looks like a normal middle-aged man). So then, that means, eye patch = pirate. It’s just like, afro = champion type thing... so have you noticed yet? Well, you probably haven’t. That in One Piece, there has not been one single pirate with an eye patch! ... yes i know, who cares right? But this is my secret "behind the scenes policy". It’s not like every pirate has an eye patch!!! ... right? You can totally draw pirates without an eye patch!!!!

And with that thought in mind it all began; the story of a normal looking boy's pirate story.

I thought, if there's an image in everyone's head about what a pirate is, then I thought I would write/draw about the process of the boy getting there. But its not like I dislike eye patches, so in the final scenes of One Piece, there is one pirate who appears with an eye patch

I'm itching to draw this character.

Eiichiro Oda - 2007.06

^So yeah, I wouldn't expect any pirates with an eyepatch to appear anytime soon.