Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-04, 01:38   Link #201
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
You always end up picking the childhood friend.
??? False. I always see the childhood friend types getting shafted. The only recent anime that did this ending was True Tears.

Quote:
Being in a gym storage room is like taking ecstasy.
??? Its not overused, in fact only two anime I have seen that has this gym storage room cliche. These are CLANNAD and Kyou Go No Ni.

This cliche is often used in hentai though.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 05:22   Link #202
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivio Testarossa View Post
Not true, a girl can be a flat-chested as a board... but still have high appeal.
That's not what the show makes the male characters believe.

Quote:
Doesn't this depend on what you define as "average"
No, there really is no normal girl in general, if she even has glasses then you can expect some wierd stuff to happen.

Quote:
Isn't that true about most people (even IRL)... they have something that they are good at?
I mean compared to other characters. This is a question of (unnecesary) praise recieved in the show.
e.g. "Oh look that's _____ the ______ and [blah blah blah]"

Quote:
Well they can't show erections, and according to some research I did it seems to go back to some old myth the Japanese have. Also this seems to sometimes effect girls (especially lesbians).
This extra touch is unecessary and overused.

Quote:
Isn't that the point of the show, after all someone who is trying to dominate/blow up the world/universe... doesn't seem to be exactly very likable?
Yes, but that's just because you are told to think a certain way and not the other.
But you are correct of course.
Old 2008-09-05, 21:41   Link #203
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

all the females have PERFECT 10 bodies... not a bad cliche just a mildly used ne

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 23:28   Link #204
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
??? False. I always see the childhood friend types getting shafted. The only recent anime that did this ending was True Tears.

??? Its not overused, in fact only two anime I have seen that has this gym storage room cliche. These are CLANNAD and Kyou Go No Ni.

This cliche is often used in hentai though.
I always thought that the childhood friend types had a good advantage among the rest. Oh well, I guess its true that it isn't exactly overused. Anyway, recommend me some animes where the childhood friend types get shafted, I'd enjoy watching them. I tend to root for the girls in the background a lot.

The second one just seemed like a known fact of sorts. Green Green had a hilarious guy on guy on guy scene about it and Dokuro Chan had a scene too... though that one didn't really turn out like it was supposed to, but then again, it never does. Do people infer that being locked in the gym storage room leads to a sexually embarrassing scenario, maybe it's just me. I thought that it wouldn't be a known fact if it wasn't used so I just stuck it on there.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 01:23   Link #205
Dream
working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime ronin View Post
all the females have PERFECT 10 bodies... not a bad cliche just a mildly used ne
they are somewhat skinny but i wouldn't say perfect.
There are lot of flat chests out there, with many with not much of a S line.

Lot of heroines don't have long model legs, rather most of them look average. Average 7 1/2 head, or less!
especially when you get in shojo series.

well this isn't exactly cliche, but i really dislike how every female character with big boobs, and heavy S lines are frequently used as a target for sexual objectification.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 03:02   Link #206
Ermes Marana

There aren't many overweight anime girls, but there aren't many overweight girls in Japan in real life either.

America has a much different perception of weight. You might be considered thin here, but they would think you were overweight in Japan or Korea maybe.

As for the worst cliche, I'm sure it has been mentioned, but girl and boy going around a corner, running into each other and falling on top of each other.

They need to set up stop lights on anime hallways intersections.

Last edited by Ermes Marana; 2008-09-07 at 03:14.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 03:15   Link #207
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Well, I find that most of the girls designed by Production I.G. are sufficiently ugly enough to break the "All anime girls are perfect" belief.

And yeah, Japanese people are generally thinner than those in Western countries...
Asians are just built differently, not to mention health habits.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 16:09   Link #208
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
You should give kimikiss a try.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 16:22   Link #209
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Erm i feel you have missed the "Oh i slipped and fell and look up at females panties"
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 17:10   Link #210
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream
2. Guy falls on girl, they blush for 2 second, and panic. Any series that has something like this i usually drop it immediately. Tasteless.
I was quite surprised to see this cliché appear in even a non-mainstream show, Nijuu Mensou no Musume. I had laughingly predicted that a particular male character would fall on top of one of the female characters, never expecting that I'd even be half right. (The male character wasn't the one I predicted.) In this instance, we didn't have the panic and blushing for reasons I won't go into, nor will this event keep me from watching the rest of the series. It still seemed unnecessary, though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 18:44   Link #211
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime ronin View Post
i cant remember ever seeing a loli with acne
Old 2008-09-08, 19:21   Link #212
stubby42

Quote:
The kind hardworking girl always looses to the sluty egoistic stupid one with phyhologic problems.
Spoiler for hint at the ending of clannad:

I put it in a spoiler tag but honnestly all of the girls are fairly hard working and there really wasnt a stand out slutty one.

Last edited by stubby42; 2008-09-09 at 17:59.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 19:30   Link #213
AceD
See You En' Tee

surely that could so with some spoiler tags :|
Old 2008-09-09, 17:13   Link #214
stubby42

There we go fixed it.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 23:03   Link #215
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
High school is a hormone-raging sex orgy; That never happens in college!
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 01:59   Link #216
The Wild Turkey
Something something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The curve actually acts much like the roman arch, dispersing energy better than a straight sword. So if a katana and a broad stright sword of same weight, length, and steel composition were to clash the broad sword will break because the energy will center more to the focal point within the stright broad sword than a curved katana.
The curve may have that property (I'm not an engineer, so I couldn't say one way or the other), but I can tell you that's not the primary reason it evolved. The origin of the curve lies in the manner the sword was being used and how it cuts. Swords can't slice through things in the same manner as an ace, they don't have the mass for that. Think of how you use a knife to cut food, you move it back and forth which makes it easier to slice things. A good sword cut uses the same principle of moving the edge along the target. Curved swords such as the katana, the scimitar and the sabre evolved to maximise the efficiency of this cut. The sabre was developed by cavalry to make it easier to slash at infantrymen as they rode past them. Kenjutsu styles, as I understand them, emphasis strong cuts and so needed a highly efficient cutting blade. Enter the katana.

Incidentally, that would have to be one poorly made broadsword to break on impact with a katana. Katana's were thicker and more rigid than European blades, which were made flexible in order to absorb the impact of parrying the opponents blade. This extra thickness makes them much more rigid than European blades, which are able to flex and return to their original shape under pressures that would see a katana bend permanently. (Another instance of katana's evolving to suite the style of fighting. A katana was expensive and often passed down through family lines, so you didn't want to damage it unnecessarily. European swords, on the other hand, were cheap in comparison so it didn't matter so much if your edge took on the appearance of a saw after too many fights, you'd just swap it out with a new blade.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
Well, the broad sword is much thicker than the katana, so it would not break. And the katana resembles a scimitar or a straight sword much more than a curved broad sword.

And you really can't compare an arch, which disperses weight over an even surface, with a katana sword, which strikes at a single point and the energy resonates throughout the blade.

The curve mainly aids in the slicing of a target. I'm not sure if it has any significant advantage in terms of energy dispersion.
You're right about the slicing, but see above about the broad sword bit.

As for anime cliche's, I'd have to go with harem anime's. They all seem to have the same style and only differ on the details. For once I'd like to see a harem anime that doesn't rely on slapstick for it's comedy (although an occasional orbit inducing punch never goes astray), but rather wit, satire and sarcasm with a suitably normal male lead, somebody maybe like Haruhi Suzumiya's Kyon.
The Wild Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 06:13   Link #217
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wild Turkey View Post
The curve may have that property (I'm not an engineer, so I couldn't say one way or the other), but I can tell you that's not the primary reason it evolved. The origin of the curve lies in the manner the sword was being used and how it cuts. Swords can't slice through things in the same manner as an ace, they don't have the mass for that. Think of how you use a knife to cut food, you move it back and forth which makes it easier to slice things. A good sword cut uses the same principle of moving the edge along the target. Curved swords such as the katana, the scimitar and the sabre evolved to maximise the efficiency of this cut. The sabre was developed by cavalry to make it easier to slash at infantrymen as they rode past them. Kenjutsu styles, as I understand them, emphasis strong cuts and so needed a highly efficient cutting blade. Enter the katana.

Incidentally, that would have to be one poorly made broadsword to break on impact with a katana. Katana's were thicker and more rigid than European blades, which were made flexible in order to absorb the impact of parrying the opponents blade. This extra thickness makes them much more rigid than European blades, which are able to flex and return to their original shape under pressures that would see a katana bend permanently. (Another instance of katana's evolving to suite the style of fighting. A katana was expensive and often passed down through family lines, so you didn't want to damage it unnecessarily. European swords, on the other hand, were cheap in comparison so it didn't matter so much if your edge took on the appearance of a saw after too many fights, you'd just swap it out with a new blade.)
Actually it was the otherway around.
First indigenous Japanese horses are only around 120Cm at the shoulder or about the size of a pony making them very bad choice for combat. So no, contrary to myths a caviary did not exsist in fudal Japan because Japan did not breed arabian thoroughbred in those days.
Second, Japanese swords of eariler design up to around 11th century AD were straight swords but battling with South Chinese marauders they noticed at each battle their straight swords(the steel composition also had flaws at that point) would break against the Sei-ryu swords.
The sword smiths through try and error found that straight swords were structually weaker than curved swords so they incorporated the Seiryu-to design.
The slicing technique with the katana were developed after the curved design not before and even after, most combat katana techniques in the battle field were primarly thrusts or tsuki and not cutting since the katana proved useless after cutting through three or four human flesh, bone and, fat.

The katana history actually divides into 4~5 eras starting with Ko-ko to(Very old swords), Ko-to(old swords), shin-to(new swords) and shin-shin to(very new sword) and the one forged in the 14~15th century(ko-to) were proven to be the worst since alot were created due to newly introduced cheap steel and high demand through the fudal warlords.
The strongest of swords are actually shin-shin to that were created after the Meji restoration since the sword smith were able to incorporate new western metallurgy and not rely on old oral instruction that may or may not be right.

This whole katana myth itself is a cliche to me.
If you study history through a more broader light you'll find tale told signs and not myths that sometime seeps into history books.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 06:58   Link #218
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Having a fever means the person is already half dead.

I don't know if japanese people are such hard/overworkers. But i'm seeing this in a lot of anime. ._.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 14:01   Link #219
Jessi
Grumpyface.

Send a message via AIM to Jessi
I didn't see if all these were posted already, so I apologize if they are.

-An oblivious school student is granted magical powers, or a world-saving destiny for absolutely no reason.
-Unrealistic hair colors.
-Two people that argue over the most idiotic topics nonstop, later in the series fall in love after one saves or defends the other unexpectedly.
-Domestic disagreements are settled BY SWORDFIGHT. D:
-Unneccessary fanservice (not that I'm complaining. >_>)
-A defined good/evil character.

This is why I would pick Death Note over almost any anime.
I think I've become OCD about clichés.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybro View Post
1) The anime girls can freakin punch a guy to the moon, but if a guy calls that girl a prick, not only is her feelings hurt, but the guy's best friend slaps the guy in the face asking has he ever considers the girl feelings. Perhaps the best friend should realize getting punched to the moon doesn't really feel so good. Basically put, the girls are never wrong or evil, they can be as whiney and b****** as they wanna be and it's perfectly fine.

2) How most black characters look like racist black face painting from the 60's, gotta do breakdancing or rapping, and has a 20 foot long penis that is only there to prey on innocent japanese chicks. *facepalm*
1) Does that make it okay to hit the girl too?
2) Are you aware that "black face" was well before the 1960's? You just showed your age, I think.
Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 17:40   Link #220
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
High school is a hormone-raging sex orgy; That never happens in college!
go to grimsby college in uk lol