AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2010-11-22, 17:25   Link #421
Lexich

She slapped him because he:
1. Entered girl's room without knocking.
2. Interrupted her time alone with Misaka.
Lexich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 22:16   Link #422
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexich View Post
Not a justification of changes from the light novels...
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 22:32   Link #423
sangkun

I wanted a part in light novel when Touma talks about the promise to keep Mikoto safe.
I can't believe they cut that part.
Old 2010-11-23, 10:43   Link #424
Lexich

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
Not a justification of changes from the light novels...
And why do you think I care? Anime is anime, LN is LN. If you think one is better, fine. I, personally, think of them as different continuities, so changes do not bother me.
Old 2010-11-23, 11:35   Link #425
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
I'd rather see the anime as a summarization of the novels, if you say so.

Not saying that the light novel is better, but if you don't feel like losing anything out from the anime, getting to the novels is a good option.

In the first place, how can the anime be a different continuity to the light novels when they basically have the same plotline, with the other media basically becoming somewhat of a summarization of the other...

... By the way, if Touma can't trigger "that" flag on Kuroko in the official works, fanworks will make it happen. And God knows how the trope Sure, Why Not? can make things turn for the better or worse...

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 11:40   Link #426
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
And why do you think I care? Anime is anime, LN is LN. If you think one is better, fine. I, personally, think of them as different continuities, so changes do not bother me.
If Kuroko would died in the episode 9, while in the LN she still is alive, could you say the same?
Or maybe you don't care because you don't know the novels contents?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 13:18   Link #427
Lexich

Quote:
... By the way, if Touma can't trigger "that" flag on Kuroko in the official works, fanworks will make it happen. And God knows how the trope Sure, Why Not? can make things turn for the better or worse...
Fanworks are not canon. Until anything of sort happens in canon, they are just lies and fantasies, irrelevant to discussion at hand.

Quote:
If Kuroko would died in the episode 9, while in the LN she still is alive, could you say the same?
Yes. I'd be upset about Kuroko's fate, but not about the change itself.
Old 2010-11-23, 13:31   Link #428
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Fanworks are not canon. Until anything of sort happens in canon, they are just lies and fantasies, irrelevant to discussion at hand.
I was joking about that fanworks thing though.

But I'm not kidding about "if you're afraid of missing some things out, check the original media" statement either.

I wouldn't be here had I didn't get revealed to me some stuff. (Actually most of it).

Okay, back to Kuroko...

Quote:
Not to discredit no. 2, but I wouldn't think that would be the case. Mainly because she's still in her undies at that time. I wouldn't think she minds him entering when she's in her patient uniform though.

And besides... I don't know much about hospitals, but entering without knocking... come to think of it, how many of the people who visited Touma who was at the hospital actually even bothered to knock before entering...? Makes me think it's not a norm to knock before entering a patient's ward in this universe

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 17:18   Link #429
aldw

Quote:
I for one don't particularly care for the smug attitudes wrt interpretations of core materials, for that matter. Canon priority remains nonetheless, just as Harry Potter films don't supersede the novels. Trying to justify otherwise demonstrates nothing less than utter intellectual laziness...
Old 2010-11-23, 23:09   Link #430
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Not to discredit no. 2, but I wouldn't think that would be the case. Mainly because she's still in her undies at that time. I wouldn't think she minds him entering when she's in her patient uniform though.

And besides... I don't know much about hospitals, but entering without knocking... come to think of it, how many of the people who visited Touma who was at the hospital actually even bothered to knock before entering...? Makes me think it's not a norm to knock before entering a patient's ward in this universe
I'd stand by my original thought: embarrassment. I would have thought what Lex said IF Kuroko was assaulting BiriBiri, but since Misaka was about to pummel him herself, yeah I'd say. And it was supposed to be a lighthearted situation, since the scene then shifted to Misaka imouto, and her reaction says it was supposed to be a funny version of embarassment.

Speaking of knocking while entering a patients room, in all the times I've been to a hospital (har har), it was never a case of knocking, I always remember the hospital had to be treated like a library: keep it quiet. So I'd say definitely not Touma's fault, just a matter of bad timing, or bad luck in his case
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 09:30   Link #431
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Arai Satomi makes it thourgh the Earthquake!! That best supporting-actress trophy for her performance as Kuroko-chan must have given her a LOT of good luck.

Good old Kuroko-chan, nothing can keep a Lovable Psycho-Lesbian down!!
Old 2011-03-24, 09:07   Link #432
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

On a half-seriou half-light note

On one side of the coin Kuroko-chan is a honorable, romantic, kind-hearted, adorable and responsible police officer.

On the Fripside (sorry, just had to ) she is a possessive, obsessive, imamture, violent, selfish and creepy stalker.

So overall, would Kuroko-chan count as a:

1) Lovable and adorably quirky, positive and heroic lesbian character.

Or

2) A disgustigly negative and thoroughly politically-incorrect psycho-lesbian stereotype?

Which one indeed?
Old 2011-03-24, 11:09   Link #433
Sol Falling

That is a great question. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Kuroko is 1) for most actual lesbians and basically any person who can love and sympathise with lesbian characters, because beyond any question of stereotypes or political correctness we recognise her as strong and relatable and only human. I think people who answer 2) are simply buying into a general culture of shame and callousness which refuses to recognise natural parts of ourselves and so for that reason reject Kuroko as psychotic or stereotypical not out of an actual respect for real lesbians/lesbian characters, but rather their own refusal to acknowledge or accept imperfect parts of human nature. Regardless of one's thoughts on Kuroko's role or treatment in her story I think it is impossible and disingenuous to deny that Kuroko herself is a perfectly sympathetic and likeable character, so for that reason I would first take the act of dismissing Kuroko as a disgusting stereotype itself as the real negative and destructive attitude.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 16:35   Link #434
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
That is a great question. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Kuroko is 1) for most actual lesbians and basically any person who can love and sympathise with lesbian characters, because beyond any question of stereotypes or political correctness we recognise her as strong and relatable and only human. I think people who answer 2) are simply buying into a general culture of shame and callousness which refuses to recognise natural parts of ourselves and so for that reason reject Kuroko as psychotic or stereotypical not out of an actual respect for real lesbians/lesbian characters, but rather their own refusal to acknowledge or accept imperfect parts of human nature. Regardless of one's thoughts on Kuroko's role or treatment in her story I think it is impossible and disingenuous to deny that Kuroko herself is a perfectly sympathetic and likeable character, so for that reason I would first take the act of dismissing Kuroko as a disgusting stereotype itself as the real negative and destructive attitude.
I really can't call Kuroko a lesbian per se as she's never shown any remotely similar affection to any other girl except Mikoto, she's more a Misaka-sexual as such if one could call it that.
Old 2011-03-24, 16:36   Link #435
Sandinwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangkun View Post
I wanted a part in light novel when Touma talks about the promise to keep Mikoto safe.
I can't believe they cut that part.
I've never really read the light novels but still, they had that part in the novels?
Sandinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 18:31   Link #436
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

@Solfalling

Nicely put. Goes without saying that a large number of people who answer (2) will be fundamentalist-religious.

But I wonder if there would be actual lesbians who also answer (2) because they might be put off by the violent/possessive stereotype?
Old 2011-03-24, 19:29   Link #437
Miraluka
Banned

Sure there are but the problem is you portrayed option 2 to the extreme of the spectrum. If you check pages before people agrees that the version of Kuroko exaggerated various of her antics killing the comic part of it.

And about the violence, I think there is no sense on arguing, various stereotypes in the anime are violent yet are loved by its public like the tsundere stereotype, heck, if yanderes has a good number as fandom... .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 04:34   Link #438
zaeraal

I would add a third option there : for people who understand that she is just a fictional character, that wasn't created with the intent to harass religious beliefs, to amplify political incorrectnes, nor to turn people who watch this series in lesbians. And for people like that she is a lovable, mature, comedic character, without which this show can't exist. (Misaka would most likely turn into a criminal on the run with no friends, except Touma)
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 09:19   Link #439
IppoTsuko
Acadamy City's Number One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandinwater View Post
I've never really read the light novels but still, they had that part in the novels?
It's in Vol 8, when Touma saved Kuroko from the 4520kg object Musujime was trying to teleport, he told her the promise. (But the JC Staff unintelligently just make Kuroko say "Who are you?" and that's all)

Here's the part he said it (It's somewhere down the bottom of part 3):
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...apter_4#Part_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
I really can't call Kuroko a lesbian per se as she's never shown any remotely similar affection to any other girl except Mikoto, she's more a Misaka-sexual as such if one could call it that.
who says a lesbian has to love all girls?

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-03-25 at 20:06.
IppoTsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 11:23   Link #440
eiyuu99

Kuroko often acts as the 'boke' comic relief.
While some of her antics kills the comical part but...

Option 2 is overly exaggerated.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote