AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-04-28, 21:13   Link #721
Bri

Confusing yet interesting, is all I can say. 3.0 is going to take me a while to digest. Love it though, this is what animation is all about, pushing the envelope of imagination. Don't think I've seen anything this mental since Akira.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 22:23   Link #722
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

It have some flaw but i dont understand why people think "IT'S THE WORSE MOVIER EVAR!!!!!!!!!"

is no way near worse movie. the major only complain is the timeskip leave so many unanswered question. but pretty sure Anno (Whether if it's trolling or not) want audience to feel same way (read confuse) as shinji as this majority of timeskip question never been answered in the movie

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 22:30   Link #723
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I kind of regret I said it was so boring, if only because it lumps me in the "hate it crowd" filled with people who hate it for purposes I completely do not agree with (the time skip, changing blah blah blah blah blah, etc).

Mechanistically, I think they did a fine job with 3.0, even if I personally very much dislike emo Shinji. And, if I take the entire movie series as one unit, I find it far superior to the original TV show, so far. Ok, sure, the "curse" that makes the pilots not age is a bit out there, and we all know it was just so he can keep drawing loli jail bait in tight costumes, but I generally applaud much of the directing decisions he's made throughout this movie series reimagining.

I remember when they first announced this project, my immediate response was "oh yay, another cash grab to go along with their 98728967982692 different releases of the tv series", and I'm really glad that it wasn't just a hastily put together re-mastering of the tv show, but a new (while continuing to hold to much of the original themes) take on it instead.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 22:59   Link #724
topboy
poor man

Eva 2.22 is great for me because look like Rei had a chance here but after watch 3.33 It was so obvious that Asuka is end game girl while Rei is just stand there.
topboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 23:17   Link #725
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by topboy View Post
Eva 2.22 is great for me because look like Rei had a chance here but after watch 3.33 It was so obvious that Asuka is end game girl while Rei is just stand there.
I generally hate "shipping", but this comment seems so out there I had to respond. It seems far more obvious that this version of Rei is also going to now have an opportunity to be "saved" that it seems weird for those who enjoy shipping to write her off for such a nonsensical reason.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 23:34   Link #726
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
The shipping comment came from left field, I have to agree. ^^; Given the stuff to actually criticize this time around, ship sinking was the last thing I'd expect to be griped about.
Old 2013-04-29, 03:03   Link #727
Calca
Expressionless

So uh, where exactly did the Rei that Shinji saved in 2.0 go again?
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 03:12   Link #728
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
So uh, where exactly did the Rei that Shinji saved in 2.0 go again?
analysis on another forum says that she's stuck in Eva 01.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 04:01   Link #729
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
It's not the only one either. You know the choir-tune that plays during Asuka's battle with Evangelion Mk.04 (never identified as such in the movie but according to the booklet that came with the DVD, that's what that thing was) at the start of the movie?

Yeah. Granted, I only know this because TVTropes pointed it out, seeing as how I have never seen Nadia.
Yeah, i noticed this music looks familiar but i didn't know it was from Nadia too! So much music references from the Gainax's 80th hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
The music...The ship... It's the same... I feel so trolled, right now.. What the hell is going on!
Well duh, the ship is not very the same but the musics are! It's not trolling, it's hommage i'm telling ya!

Like, dislike, i don't dislike it but the 2nd movie is still the best for me!
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 08:37   Link #730
Zekori

To be honest, I have no idea why they even bothered with the Rei clone in the narrative of 3.0

They already built up Rei in 2.0 ~ 3.0, except they are trying to do the very same with Rei-2.

Going further back onto discussion, I still stand by my opinion that this is a terrible movie. You can be perfectly dark and have a plot that leaves so many unquestioned answers that leave you wanting to know "what", like NIER is a perfectly good example.

Spoiler for Long, but in case of spoilers I guess.:
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 09:57   Link #731
matrigs

would actually anyone care to explain (if it's possible, of course):

Spoiler for spoiler:
matrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 10:58   Link #732
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrigs View Post
would actually anyone care to explain (if it's possible, of course):

Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for Conjecture...:
Old 2013-04-29, 11:26   Link #733
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Problem is in this case it's you, and people in the thread already know you hate the Rebuild movies with a passion. Yet here you are, prepping to watch something you hate, so you can hate on it more. It's pretty much a self-defeating and wasteful cycle if you ask me, as you'll end up hating it anyway, which will feed your hate for the last movie.

Save yourself the trouble.
This... guys you do realize that you were thinking about what to complain for several months now... I mean you have already decided that you will not enjoy the movie, but still watch in order to rationalize it.

As for being confusing, I don't think so, unless one expects to watch some sci-fi show for teens. The 3rd movie builds up on where the TV and EoE left the franchise, without interest in that, one can only appreciate the visuals (which were great in between), and if he wants more character build-up and explanations, there are literally hundred of doujinshi!

Personally, I prefer the original TV ending, that concluded the story, but both the old and new movies expanded a little bit the universe while updating the visuals, for which I can not complain, but could also leave without.
Old 2013-04-29, 11:27   Link #734
matrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Spoiler for Conjecture...:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2013-04-29, 11:36   Link #735
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I just watched this and frankly I don't know what to think.

I don't think it makes sense to judge the many changes that they have made in respect to the original story, because this isn't an adaption and it blatantly tries to retell everything in a different way.

I could point out, for example, that in the original anime "Ikari" was Yui's maiden's name and that Gendo's family name was Rokubungi. Does it matter? Probably not, I'm just baffled as to why it should have been changed, it's irrelevant either way.

The problem is that if this is a retelling of an old story I expect that there must be a reason for adding new parts to it. Now what was the purpose of this whole movie? Honestly I don't get it.

60% of it is an action packed mecha fanservice which doesn't even bother to explain itself.

The whole plot revolves around the attempt to trigger the 4th impact apparently orchestrated and directed by two men in the middle of nowhere. How they could sustain themselves for 14 years is totally left to our imagination. Perhaps it was too costly to show that they have henchmen and soldiers scattered around the ruin of NERV.

But just why did we need another failed impact event? It just seems redundant and not exactly what I'd expect from good writing. Perhaps it's not something that I would define bad, but it's still pointless.

At least the first time it was something emotional for many reasons. But this time it was just, well who cares, the world is already a mess anyway.

Both Shinji and Kaworu just turn out to be marionettes who can't do anything but following their predetermined roles. Hey this is neither what Shinji wants or what Kaworu wants, but the first just suddenly decided to stop listening to Kaworu and Kaworu just stopped to be the awesome manipulator that he's always been. He suddenly gives up on his project to make Shinji happy, even though he logically could and should have stopped him.

Everything proceeds to Gendo's satisfaction without him taking any apparent action. He's either an incredibly optimistic lucky bastard or La Place's demon itself. Apparently even Wille's intervention was all part of his plan.

And then what is the purpose of Mari again? She has no character development whatsoever, and they ripped away the one that Asuka had. Just looking at them and their interactions... it was like watching Fleur Blanc and Elena Peoples from Eureka 7 AO all over again. Just how could Evangelion turn out to be reminiscent of one of the most mediocre robo anime of the last decade?

I don't know, I suppose this anime isn't that bad if you disconnect your brain and you just enjoy the action and the awesome mecha animation. Enjoyable as long as it last is the best that it can be, I'm still left with the feeling that I wouldn't have lost anything if I watched something else.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 11:53   Link #736
matrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
And then what is the purpose of Mari again?
Mari is too knowledgeful to be just a minor character, and i assume that in the last chapter it will be reveiled that she had in fact a very important rule.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

I feel some Madoka-style ending with this one. Or even something more epic. One thing for sure is that a lot of characters know more than they are showing.
Old 2013-04-29, 11:54   Link #737
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
too long
The point of the movie? It's in the title, Shinji fucked up he wanted to repair his errors but he just couldn't ... just as simple as that. Also, the 3rd impact wasn't a failure it successfully happened, all what Kaworu did was preventing it from spreading.
Also I don't understand why you're calling it an alternate retelling ... it's obviously a sequel to EoE considering the shit-tons amount of hints given in the entire 3 movies by kaworu.

Last edited by desrtsku; 2013-04-29 at 11:56. Reason: Ninja'ed
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 12:01   Link #738
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
it's obviously a sequel to EoE considering the shit-tons amount of hints given in the entire 3 movies by kaworu.
I thought this wasn't universally accepted.

Though I must say that it's not like I would really welcome yet another parallel universe theory exploitation or yet another time loop situation.

Evangelion was better off without such overused plot devices.

Old 2013-04-29, 12:05   Link #739
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ heh ... but Neon Genesis Evangelion was an amalgam of such things in the first place you know ...
Old 2013-04-29, 12:09   Link #740
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
^ heh ... but Neon Genesis Evangelion was an amalgam of such things in the first place you know ...
No, actually I don't.

Is this what people think about Evangelion these days? That it was about parallel universes and time loops?

I've read a lot of crazy theories and interpretations back when Eva became popular in the west around 1999, but this is a first.

Tags
evangelion, remake