AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-24, 08:49   Link #21
chImp

Saishuuheiki Kanojo

I saw this series has been licensed but I was wondering how much eps it has and if it is finished (not gonna *you know what* if it isn't finished). I saw that ANBU had 13 episodes of it, are those all?
chImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 09:52   Link #22
Lambda

It is 13 episodes and it is licensed.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 10:17   Link #23
7thMethuselah

yes 13 epi is all, it was licensed a while ago to a company that releases mainly in region 4 i believe (australia and new zealand), don't know if it allready has a north america license. The manga is available allready, in europe i've only been able to find it in french (called l'arme ultime).
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 18:18   Link #24
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Viz is scheduled to release the first DVD (of 4) in April, with the manga coming soon after in June.

http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=257
Old 2004-01-03, 00:29   Link #25
whyjnot420
The Lord of Blibidy

Send a message via AIM to whyjnot420 Send a message via MSN to whyjnot420 Send a message via Yahoo to whyjnot420
about the big spike things in the sky, i was confused about them for a couple of minutes (about what they were) but then comes the one that protects Shuji, and also remember that after everything he starts hugging one of them saying something about Chise, thats when I came to the realization that they were a part of her

one other thing, did anyone find it really weird that the military would chose her
and also that her parents wouldnt know

little question here what do people think was the most depressing part, spoiler, highlight to read --- I think it was when Akimi died---, I actually shed a tear on that, NEVER IN MY LIFE have I ever shed a tear of sadness for a movie/book/series

Last edited by whyjnot420; 2004-01-03 at 10:14.
whyjnot420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 11:47   Link #26
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
I really liked Saikano... I watched it in one sitting a long while back. It perhaps is a little over the top in some ways, but you could argue when aiming for an aspect of realism Saikano was not over the top as death in real life is frequanltly not a pretty or subtle thing. Especially when dealing with the horror that Saikano dealt with. At least thats how I consider it. I think the series would have benifited from another few episodes, perhaps pulling the episode count up to 15 or 16 episodes would have been better. Still, putting aside what has been cut from the manga Saikano still has brilliant pacing. It's imo put together very well, nothing is too long or too short, everything is merly perfect... the direction and pacing in this series really hit a good spot with me. I also liked the music and the artwork and the use of widescreen.
So Saikano also hit it off for me in a technical way too.

Allthough the anime was a tight sqeeze in at 13 episodes and some cuts had to be made, there's still no doubt in my mind to the brilliance of Saikano in almost every way.

I've been wanting to write and rip off Saikano for a long while now, basically take two characters, have them fall in love, develop them and then kill them in as horrible a way as possible, but I don't think I have the bother for it...
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 12:57   Link #27
Confusion

saikano question-eps. 10**SPOILERS**

hi,
im new to these forums and i am debating with my girlfriend on the scene at the beginning of episode 10 hopefully someone here has helpful insight.
my question is ,is chise trying to have sex with tetsu while he is dying or is she just easing his(and her own) pain at his dying .maybe the manga has better perspective on the scene.

thanks for any input....

confusion

Last edited by Confusion; 2004-01-03 at 13:25.
Confusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 13:18   Link #28
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Chise is trying to ease Tetsu's pain, IIRC.
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 13:24   Link #29
Confusion

thanks,
that was my take on it as well.i just wanted to entertain other opinions.

confusion
Confusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 13:38   Link #30
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
The SaiKano anime did a lot of things wrong, but the story itself was strong enough to pull it out of the gutter.

First of all, they killed off too many important characters without telling you anything about them, then killed off more characters... and that scene in the mountains with the chick (who's boyfriend never died in the manga... *snoopy spits at the production crew*) never even should have happened. All in all, the most heartbreaking parts were watered down more than most of you would believe if I bothered to explain it, and some of them were skipped entirely.

But see? The story was still there, so people are still talking about it. It's a testament to Takahashi Shin that not even animators could ruin SaiKano.

Amen (Nice job on scanlastion on Saikano btw)
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 16:56   Link #31
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Yes... trying to ease his pain. Pretty vague scene though...
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 04:04   Link #32
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
That show has lost one potential viewer...I try to avoid all sad/sob story..
You should watch Grave of the Fireflies
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 05:17   Link #33
Snuble07

I tried to start watching this, but the character designs turned me off too much. It looks promising tho...
Snuble07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 09:58   Link #34
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I enjoyed this when I watched it, I remember it getting a lot of love at the time, and it still seems to attract people.

Regardless of its qualities vis a vis the manga or other titles it is accessible to people who don't pay attention to or get interested in other low-key or tragic series that I have enjoyed, and I have to give the show some props for pulling that much off anyway. I hope it sells over here in the US, maybe it will create more interest in this sort of thing.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 11:40   Link #35
Weissent
on and off member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
[...]The manga is available allready, in europe i've only been able to find it in french (called l'arme ultime).
The manga is also available in Germany; it's called "She, the ultimate weapon" here. Three of seven volumes are out already (by Carlsen Comics), €6,- each ...
(Just in case you understand German and need your saikano fix in printed form )
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 04:30   Link #36
jeffccl

it says in the manga that chise will live forever even when shuuji dies eventually at age 100 or wutever

when shuuji dies, it says that chise will have to make it up (to who i dunno, maybe god or nature :P) for the enormous amount of sins that human species had committed over the history of their existence.......therefore chise will hav to live and suffer til the end of time....but i believe tat it'll b shuuji's turn to stay in chise's essence/heart by then

about the question of y chise is being picked....maybe its bcuz chise is awesome at history stuff (remember when she memorized all human wars...including the cities she had destroyed?)........she was the most suitable (in god's point of view) to pay the sins back for the human kind because she's like a recordbook which contains every war crime that human beings had committed.....therefore she's the best representative....kinda sad

then y did "the military decided to choose her"? i guess it's just the way things r gonna go....the way they're meant to b...

just taking a guess~~dun reply in rage^^|||

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyjnot420
about the big spike things in the sky, i was confused about them for a couple of minutes (about what they were) but then comes the one that protects Shuji, and also remember that after everything he starts hugging one of them saying something about Chise, thats when I came to the realization that they were a part of her

one other thing, did anyone find it really weird that the military would chose her
and also that her parents wouldnt know

little question here what do people think was the most depressing part, spoiler, highlight to read --- I think it was when Akimi died---, I actually shed a tear on that, NEVER IN MY LIFE have I ever shed a tear of sadness for a movie/book/series
jeffccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 05:28   Link #37
Leonidas Tzu
Unoriginal

A delightful series. Reasons of which I'm too lazy to go into right now.

At any rate, I was curious as to the survivial of Shuuji? He's still in his physical carnate form, whereas Chise has been reduced to some pseudo metaphysical energy. Has the entire world been destroyed? Chise mentions a few times throughout the anime, that the other half of the world has been completely annihilated and that the attackers (Americans, I assume) have nowhere to go back to. So how will Shuuji go about attaining his daily dietary supplements for survivial? Or was that merely sand washed up from the beach as a result of the tsunami? I'm under the impression humanity was eradicated from the earth. How Shuuji will survive, I haven't the faintest clue.

As to why Chise was chosen. I don't think any logical reason can justify anyone in particular being chosen for such a position. Perhaps they required an adolescent, developing body? Perhaps they just wanted a innocent young girl, yielding the element of surpise as a result of her physical form. The theories are myriad, meh.
Leonidas Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 07:10   Link #38
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
and that scene in the mountains with the chick (who's boyfriend never died in the manga... *snoopy spits at the production crew*) never even should have happened.
Interesting. That's the only part of the story I liked. It consisted of what, 2 minutes of the show's time? I hated the rest of it. I love a good tearjerker/ romance story, too. I just had no attachment to the main characters. I thought they were both idiots.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 14:09   Link #39
7thMethuselah

Quote:
and that scene in the mountains with the chick (who's boyfriend never died in the manga... *snoopy spits at the production crew*) never even should have happened.

That was one of the most impressive scenes imo, fits perfectly into the story ...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 23:02   Link #40
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I am, admitedly, a manga purist. I believe that animators should stick to the manga when at all possible, and if they can't then there should never be an anime at all. I thought when I first heard about the SaiKano anime that it shouldn't be made, for obvious reasons of nudity, sexuality and gore (unless it was a made for video release and could bypass the television censors, I would have accepted that). If you add a character then kill them, or kill someone off rather than telling their story to save airtime for the main characters, you do a disservice to everyone that doesn't know better. That said, if I were to take the SaiKano anime out of context from the manga, that scene with the girl and the enemy pilot would have been perfectly good, and I would have liked the story aspect. But it isn't SaiKano. Like I said in some other saikano thread (I think it was deleted when the forum went down...), the anime played down many of the most poignant scenes and deleted a handful of them completely. Meh, just wait for Viz to release the manga and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance