AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-18, 18:42   Link #1
Grey land
Minerva

Racial remarks

I'm sure most of you have come into this situation before. A lot of people claim to be open-minded and liberal. However they are in the company of other people of their same race they will sometimes make negative remarks about other races.

What do you do when people of your race start doing that? Do you join in? Do you keep quiet? Do you admonish them? What if they are people you know well - friends, relatives?
Grey land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 18:49   Link #2
sarcasteak
WAHA~

I joke BECAUSE I'm liberal and open-minded--I express myself freely without giving a flying fuck about being political correct or hurting someone's overly-sensitive or self-pitying feelings.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:05   Link #3
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey land
I'm sure most of you have come into this situation before. A lot of people claim to be open-minded and liberal. However they are in the company of other people of their same race they will sometimes make negative remarks about other races.

What do you do when people of your race start doing that? Do you join in? Do you keep quiet? Do you admonish them? What if they are people you know well - friends, relatives?
This is just my reaction but I admonish people. It has nothing to do with being liberal or politically correct or anything. Derogatory racial remarks are unnecessary and uncalled for. Wrong is wrong no matter how you look at the situation. I just say sternly "Knock it off!" I have gone as far as to admonish my own In-laws. I hear from them the excuse that "We were raised that way" and I tell them that is an ignorant excuse.
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:17   Link #4
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOfAnime
I hear from them the excuse that "We were raised that way" and I tell them that is an ignorant excuse.
So true! I hate those kinds of people. It's just basically saying it gives them the right to be a complete ass toward people for their color/sexuality/religion. It's ignorant no matter how you put it. Too bad that this BS still exists today and they blame their upbring for it which is not an excuse no matter how many ways you try to say that. So the person's a different color. WHO CARES???? It's not like they're radioactive, but they act like they are.

I can't believe people have the nerve to do this kind of thing.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:20   Link #5
Thelastguardian

Well every race has its own set of slang words for other races. Harmless jokes unless the comments start to get offensive.
Old 2004-10-18, 20:22   Link #6
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey land
uhh... i dont really care if they are "my race" or not. if they are funny, i usually try to contribute. if not i just leave because they are retarded.

walking away solves more problems than punching them in the face. it just justifies their jokes (if they are making it about your race/ideology)

however, your doctor would like you to punch them in the face, more buisness you see ^^
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 21:00   Link #7
TronDD
Team the box!

I don't even believe in the idea of "race". Say you're Latino....so what? That doesn't mean anything to me. Everyone has their own individual traits, talents, and personallities. I'll judge you based on those.

If you are offended by a joke about a racial stereotype, you are saying you are part of the same group that contains that stereotype. You shouldn't be offended unless you don't fit that stereotype (if you do, well you can't fault someone for pointing out facts), in which case, why would you consider yourself in the same group as someone who does fit that stereotype?
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 21:05   Link #8
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I don't even believe in the idea of "race". Say you're Latino....so what? That doesn't mean anything to me. Everyone has their own individual traits, talents, and personallities. I'll judge you based on those.

If you are offended by a joke about a racial stereotype, you are saying you are part of the same group that contains that stereotype. You shouldn't be offended unless you don't fit that stereotype (if you do, well you can't fault someone for pointing out facts), in which case, why would you consider yourself in the same group as someone who does fit that stereotype?
That's exactly my belief, though it's not one shared by many people. I love you. Have my baby please.
Old 2004-10-18, 21:18   Link #9
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
well, being black myself, I never say "nigga" unless I'm singing a song. It's just not part of my vocabulary. I don't really care when other people say it either, as long as it's not said just to see how me, or some other black person will react,which does happen sometimes.

as for all races, I think it's okay to joke about race when your with friends, and that race is present and doesn't care. But if it's KKK "over the top" type stuff, then they need to be erased from the gene pool. Hell, me and my friends joke around about race all the time(most of them are white), and it's funny as hell.

hispanic friend1:man, Mexico OWNS Spains. Yer soccer team suxors!
hispanic friend2:Mexico is Spains dumpster man. We dump are trash there. *good laugh had by all*
Me Mexico can't even afford soccer balls anyways. you play with balls of garbage.laugh
hispanic friend1: Reggie, it's time for you to imitate and apple. Imma hang you from a tree
*long pause*

Old 2004-10-19, 01:30   Link #10
JERI

The hostility doesn't really come from the racial/ethnic group of the person being mocked.

Most of racial slurs encountered in the school context doesn't really stem from a genuine racial contempt. When a bully wants to mock/take advantage of you, he/she picks out the first thing about you that make you unique from most people, whether it be skin color, ethnicity, or even how abnormally large your dick is. Bullies will twist anything about you in order to isolate and discriminate you.

I stronly disapprove of mocking other people based on race, ethnicity or disability because they're cheap shots, they don't demonstrate any wittiness/observance on the mocker's part at all.

I can't say I disapprove of jokes attacking other people, because I do laugh (even feel compelled to applaud) at such jokes that I consider observant and witty in its perspectives.

Out of the top of my head, a good mock I heard lately was John Edwards when he was on Jay Leno's (show). They were discussing a peculiar shape on the back of GW Bush. Jay reckoned it was meant as a hidden transmitter telling Bush what to say. Edward's reply was hilarious - "I think it's his battery."
JERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 01:53   Link #11
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERI
Out of the top of my head, a good mock I heard lately was John Edwards when he was on Jay Leno's (show). They were discussing a peculiar shape on the back of GW Bush. Jay reckoned it was meant as a hidden transmitter telling Bush what to say. Edward's reply was hilarious - "I think it's his battery."
Exxxxxcellent...I just had a good chuckle from that. XD
Old 2004-10-19, 02:34   Link #12
Shadowlord
~DESU

well, I do engage into racial remarks, which after I stop to think about it, I am ashamed. However, those remarks are ALL to be taken as a joke, and no belief is ever put behind those words. While I am trying to rationalize the situation, it doesn't make it right. In an ideal world which I hope will someday come to pass, people are all part of the human race, and therefore, treated as one.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 04:45   Link #13
Shay
Monarch Programmer

If i'm singing I can't help it. If the joke is funny I will laugh. And besides if no one is around to get offended then who cares?

Anyone seen White chicks yet?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 05:12   Link #14
Real
....Elemental....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
If i'm singing I can't help it. If the joke is funny I will laugh. And besides if no one is around to get offended then who cares?

Anyone seen White chicks yet?
Right on. I have friends of all diffrent races, and we alway joke around about it, just like we would with any outstanding character trait one of us possesed. It no diffrent than joking about someones habbits or appearance(which of course can also be taken to extremes, and I'm not advocating that).

My key point is that it is in a JOKING manner, hurtfull things said about anybody for any reason are just tottaly wrong. As long as it's amongst friends a little "racism" is harmless and a fact of life.
Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 05:48   Link #15
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

I have no idea what race i am. Im a mixture of spanish, Portuguese, Amerinden, Chinese, Mongolian.

My skin is dark white, streght brown hair, with clear brown eyes. Peoples think im white but im not.

I look like ED from bebop. never heard someone joking of my color. probably will in the future.

Peoples ask me if i went on the beach.
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 10:57   Link #16
Grona
Big Damit!

Yea jokes are good but this double standard makes me sick. A black comedian can tell any kind of offensive stupid joke about white people, but if a white comedian did the same they would be booed and labled a racist.
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 12:00   Link #17
Wang Hung Lo
Death to False Music

Send a message via AIM to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via MSN to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via Yahoo to Wang Hung Lo
In my perfect little world, racial slurs have no meaning, because we as people should be over ourselves by now. Don't take offense if I use them. It's your own fault if you do.
Wang Hung Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 12:01   Link #18
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
My best friends is a big black guy, and I'm part hispanic, and all of our other friends are black/white. We throw jokes at eachother all the time, and we have great laughs. If its in a friendly fashion, and you're among peers without being serious I don't see the problem.

He just walked in saying "THE BLACKINESS IS HERE"
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 12:43   Link #19
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
My best friends is a big black guy, and I'm part hispanic, and all of our other friends are black/white. We throw jokes at eachother all the time, and we have great laughs. If its in a friendly fashion, and you're among peers without being serious I don't see the problem.

He just walked in saying "THE BLACKINESS IS HERE"
hmmm I guess when you are just joking with good friends its more of a compliment about their uniqueness than an insult. I don't know if that makes any sense
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 12:50   Link #20
Wang Hung Lo
Death to False Music

Send a message via AIM to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via MSN to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via Yahoo to Wang Hung Lo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-kun
hmmm I guess when you are just joking with good friends its more of a compliment about their uniqueness than an insult. I don't know if that makes any sense
Yes. Let's all remember that its "unique" to be Asian or Black
Wang Hung Lo is offline   Reply With Quote