AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-31, 08:28   Link #141
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Episode 12.

Geez, as if you can just judge someone by having a single ordinary conversation with them. Minorin should've just told him.
Well, she did mention how he isn't a good father but Ryuji wouldn't listen, at all.
Old 2011-03-31, 18:01   Link #142
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, she did mention how he isn't a good father but Ryuji wouldn't listen, at all.
Well you got to remeber that Ryuji can be pretty dense when it comes to these things. For example he never gets any of the hints Ami gives him.

Last edited by Oblivion; 2011-03-31 at 20:41.
Old 2011-03-31, 19:34   Link #143
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Also, when you have met a person a few times who have left favorable impressions on you, and then someone else says that he is a bad person without explaining herself at all, it would be pretty hard to believe the second person.
Old 2011-04-01, 18:29   Link #144
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Someone should have told Ryuuji. . .
Old 2011-04-01, 18:39   Link #145
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Someone should have told Ryuuji. . .
Even if they did, he would have gone the second chance route. He has parental issues, serious ones.
Old 2011-04-04, 18:01   Link #146
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Episode 13

I cried, just a little. I think it was more painful this time since you knew what was coming. The first time around, there was always some doubt as to what would happen. It was painful to read this since it didn't go as quick as the anime.

And Ami was so funny with her outfit. That poor girl walking out on the stage while everyone was cheering for Ami.

And, who would have guessed Taiga could make this face:
Spoiler:

Festivals are usually cliche, but not this series, so they poked fun at the cliche with all the maid uniforms. Good stuff.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:25   Link #147
Oblivion

So Taiga's dad doesn't show up? That's a shocker. I mean really what's his problem? At first he wants to see her very much and when he gets a chance to live with her, they end up back to where they started. According to Minori, he's done this in the past before. Does he really care about his daughter or not? Honestly he's such an irresponsible parent...
Old 2011-04-05, 13:49   Link #148
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
So Taiga's dad doesn't show up? That's a shocker. I mean really what's his problem? At first he wants to see her very much and when he gets a chance to live with her, they end up back to where they started. According to Minori, he's done this in the past before. Does he really care about his daughter or not? Honestly he's such an irresponsible parent...
He is a selfish person. He did it all for himself. To remind him that he is a dad, to feel like a good dad. He does not care about Taiga like a real parent should. He only sends her money out of obligation since he is her father.

Both Ryuji and Taiga had different parent issues, each parent being different. Ryuji's dad ran away when he heard he got his girlfriend pregnant, his mom sacrifices everything for Ryuji but wants live vicariously through him since she went from being a 16 year old girl to a mother, skipping over being a teenager and young adult. Taiga's mother got up and left because her husband found a younger woman, and left alone Taiga in the process.

One thing to note is that both mothers are not bad people like the fathers. They just have personal difficulties but in the end they love their child and do sincerely want to help them. I wonder if that's because the author is a woman... hmmm...
Old 2011-04-05, 14:31   Link #149
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 13.

Oh right. I don't remember Minorin explaining why she didn't tell Ryuuji about the previous incident but there is was. Yep, everything was just perfect. in any other story if the father was a jackass, the main protagonist would shout the father down and then maybe punch him in the face and the father would suddenly see sense and start being a good dad again. That's not what happened though. Toradora! does things completely differently.

Oh and Minorin body slam attack ftw.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:00   Link #150
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I was already thoroughly convinced that the entirety of episode 13 was the prelude to episode 19 when the latter episode aired. Everything in in episode 13, and arguably in the episodes after that, were in motion for something big that was about to happen, and episode 19 was that.
Old 2011-04-10, 21:10   Link #151
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Great episode. I like how they touched on all of the different characters at the end. I feel even worse for Ami though. She's getting her hopes up for nothing.

And be sure to read the original version, told quite differently and most comical:
The Legend of the Palmtop Tiger of Happiness
Old 2011-04-11, 02:57   Link #152
Oblivion

This episode was great, love the humor in this one, especially the one guy trying so hard to get some luck off of the "Palmtop Tiger of Happiness". So by this point Ami realises she doesn't have a chance of taking Ryuji away from Taiga no matter how hard she tries since she was a bit too immature for him. She has grown alot as a character and I like her alot better now. And Ryuji is starting to realise his feelings for Taiga which is about time I'd say. Though they left out some parts from the original, it was still very entertaining to watch. Overall a good episode.
Old 2011-04-11, 10:44   Link #153
Crackabad

I liked the scene where they are picking pictures the best
Codeword...underboob :P
Old 2011-04-11, 10:56   Link #154
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah awesome episode. The ending looks like it's setting up for some major drama. XD
Old 2011-04-16, 11:17   Link #155
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 15;

Kitamura is a horribly underrated character. At the time I thought Kitamura was just to remain "That guy Taiga would eventually get over", but it turned out he had his own story to tell. And I definitely liked how Taiga veiwed his relationship with Kitamura by comparing to the stars.

I think the funniest moment was when Morning Mom kicked them out of the house, but special mention goes to Kitamura breaking down and screaming "ALL!" repeatedly.
Old 2011-05-08, 09:30   Link #156
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Somehow got off track here... this week's episode is episode 17, "Mercury is Retrograde at Christmas." Let's get back to it!
Old 2011-05-09, 01:40   Link #157
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh we're still doing this? Well might aswell talk about Episode 16.

I have never seen a more brilliant school fight in anime. Absolutely freaking perfect. And it really showed that Taiga's feelings more Kitamura were more than just a stupid crush. Plus it's another one of those issues that isn't resolved or even helped at all by the main male lead, giving other characters a lot more depth.

[Edit]

Episode 17.

This is perhaps the first biggest hint given to us that Ryuuji is starting to recognise his feelings for Taiga. I say recognise and not develop, because we know he's already been developing feelings for taiga the entire time. he just hadn't realised it yet. It's also a big hint that Minori realises Ryuuji's feelings aswell.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-05-09 at 11:26.
Old 2011-05-12, 09:35   Link #158
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Finally had time to catch up with the rewatch goddammit.

Anyway if there's anything awesome with episode 17, it's how everyone starts losing their shit and STILL stay in character. That's impressive in itself.

Anyway... 2 episodes to the fated 19th...
Old 2011-05-16, 11:05   Link #159
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

As it turns out, I watched episode 15 and 16, but for some reason didn't post about it. So I'll keep my thoughts short since I may mix some of it up the novel, lol.

Episode 15
- Kitamura... you're not just some supporting character with no development now!

Episode 16
- Awesome, simply awesome. It was so epic how Taiga went there and then Sumire accepted her challenge. Really great stuff.

And what I just watched...

Episode 17
- New OP & ED! Excellent ones too. I still want to know the importance of oranges and romance in Japan, it's a recurring thing and no one can answer why. Anyway, I love Kitamura's radio show. So funny how the teacher is on there, poor lady, lol. Taiga had quite a few cute moments this episode too. Haruta's dream was epic in the beginning, and then it tanked badly... really badly, lol.

Episode 18 - Wow. Just, wow. So much.. emotion. I was crying a little at the end there too. I don't think anyone saw that ball coming through the window, I sure didn't. Such a pretty star too. So, does everyone see the symbolism and all there? The star being Taiga's heart which Minori is afraid to break if she goes out with Ryuji. And then Ryuji's lines about fixing it applying to everyone's heart.

As for the novel, little things were left out as usual, nothing vital to the story so kudos to JC Staff. I guess they can do a good adaptation if the source material is all there for them, lol.

Quote:
Episode 15;

Kitamura is a horribly underrated character. At the time I thought Kitamura was just to remain "That guy Taiga would eventually get over", but it turned out he had his own story to tell. And I definitely liked how Taiga veiwed his relationship with Kitamura by comparing to the stars.

I think the funniest moment was when Morning Mom kicked them out of the house, but special mention goes to Kitamura breaking down and screaming "ALL!" repeatedly.
Yes, for Kitamura to have some development was excellent and unexpected too. Morning Mom was hilarious too.

Quote:
Oh we're still doing this? Well might aswell talk about Episode 16.

I have never seen a more brilliant school fight in anime. Absolutely freaking perfect. And it really showed that Taiga's feelings more Kitamura were more than just a stupid crush. Plus it's another one of those issues that isn't resolved or even helped at all by the main male lead, giving other characters a lot more depth.
Of course we're still doing this!! Great fight, the animation was stepped up a little too. I liked Taiga's apologize letter too. Sumire ended up being an idiot/fool in the end too.
Quote:
Episode 17.

This is perhaps the first biggest hint given to us that Ryuuji is starting to recognise his feelings for Taiga. I say recognise and not develop, because we know he's already been developing feelings for taiga the entire time. he just hadn't realised it yet. It's also a big hint that Minori realises Ryuuji's feelings aswell.
Even Maya is serving a purpose (besides being eye candy with Nanako).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Finally had time to catch up with the rewatch goddammit.

Anyway if there's anything awesome with episode 17, it's how everyone starts losing their shit and STILL stay in character. That's impressive in itself.

Anyway... 2 episodes to the fated 19th...
Yes, I finally caught up too. I was suddenly really busy this past week, lol. But yeah, the shit hits the fan and still maintains the balance. Excellent writing, truly.
Old 2011-05-16, 11:17   Link #160
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Episode 18 manages to almost perfectly define Ami and Minorin.

That speech in the gym room was pure gold and shows just how much depth lies behind that pretty face. If there's been anyone in the cast who has been the most observant and the most capable of understanding and reading anyone, it's Ami. While previous episodes have shown how good she is at reading people, in a short monologue she manages to define pretty much the entirety of Ryuuji to such a extent that it goes beyond even Ryuuji's own understanding. Perhaps part of it is due to the sense of detachment and isolation she feels towards people considering her social standing. Her capacity really does put her on a standing very much similar to Ryuuji, hence her observation that the two of them are equals, yet her own understanding that equality does not make them a valid pair.

On the other hand is a character who, underneath the perpetual genki game face, lies someone who feels so low and weak that she feels the need to earn her place and overcompensate for her shortcomings. Minorin initially comes off as a hyper girl who simply can't say no to anyone, yet under that is a girl who herself seeks the acceptance of others and tries so desperately to correct her faults and mistakes to prop herself up. Others may be impressed with her, but she feels no such things for herself, and puts herself down in the process. In ways it makes me believe even now that she feels she doesn't deserve Ryuuji, but you can't deny that she is a girl who, while she detaches herself from others to achieve her own goals, also just wants to be loved.
Closed Thread

Tags
re-watch, toradora