AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-13, 22:45   Link #21
problemedchild
ō_ō

Opps, RAID 1. I was just reading an article on RAID 0 setups and gains of using multiple disks =)
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 00:42   Link #22
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
you know u can recover intact files i think some sectors might be untouched

Last edited by mist2123; 2007-07-14 at 00:52.
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 07:19   Link #23
toru310

Quote:
RAID 0 = "striping" = concatenates two disks (or partitions) so they appear as one creating a total available storage equal to sum of the disks
Question, For example i have two 160gb hard drives with raid 0 config so they will be detected as 1?
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 10:05   Link #24
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
Question, For example i have two 160gb hard drives with raid 0 config so they will be detected as 1?
That assumption is correct. And the system tries to write to them parallel (same for reading), so in theory your will have doubled the writing/reading speed.
Old 2007-07-14, 10:27   Link #25
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

LOL I booted up my old 386 today. the 16mb HDD is still going strong. Personally I use Dual layer DVD's for backup of anime and even then I make sure to use high grade media like Taiyo Yuden's at slow burn speeds usually x2. I have about 30 discs of anime, happy snaps and scans of important docs like my passport and mortgage docs in a heavy fireproof chest which is pretty much climate controlled. hey it's cheaper than buying a 1tb NAS.

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-07-14 at 11:15.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 22:44   Link #26
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
That assumption is correct. And the system tries to write to them parallel (same for reading), so in theory your will have doubled the writing/reading speed.
Ahh, So how can you do a raid 0 config? is it advisable for downloading anime? or is just for games?
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 23:28   Link #27
kameha4th
A song cannot be spoken..

Send a message via AIM to kameha4th Send a message via Yahoo to kameha4th
im sooo confused <---- ( about the raid)

anyways what i think i will do about this cheapy external hard drive is buy the same exact model and transfer only my important files then i`ll switch the old one to the new and return it.

im good hehehehe

also is this legal??
kameha4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 23:30   Link #28
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kameha4th View Post

anyways what i think i will do about this cheapy external hard drive is buy the same exact model and transfer only my important files then i`ll switch the old one to the new and return it.

im good hehehehe

also is this legal??
yes its legal but before you do that wipe it clean after you finished making the back up.
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 23:33   Link #29
kameha4th

yea like format it u mean or like use a magnet then piss on it at the same time ?
Old 2007-07-14, 23:33   Link #30
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
yes its legal but before you do that wipe it clean after you finished making the back up.
If it isn't under warranty, I don't really know that it's legal. I do know that it's a pretty underhanded tactic, though. Bad karma.
Old 2007-07-14, 23:36   Link #31
kameha4th

i swear to god i dont want to experience that ever again..... i mean... all of my hard work...

lol ..guess thats kinda emo XP
Old 2007-07-15, 00:02   Link #32
Onniguru

One important part of backing up that folks are forgetting to tell you.

TEST your backups...make sure they actually worked!

I can't count the number of times some company (or individual) has gone along merrily, feeling secure, because they backup their important data every day.

Then disaster day arrives, something fails. They go to restore the backups...and found out that do to some small glitch/oversight by the person who setup the backups, that they are, in fact, unusable.

In the case of backing up anime onto DvDs, I think all you need to do is put the dvds back in periodically to make sure they are still readable though
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 00:26   Link #33
kameha4th

@ onniguru will do senpai
Old 2007-07-15, 01:41   Link #34
problemedchild
ō_ō

Buy some decent brand DVDs if you're gonna use them for backups. GQ is something I wouldn't recommend. Half of my back ups stopped working after 6 months. Yes, I checked right after burning them. No big loss though, I bought real copies of the files I lost.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 04:49   Link #35
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
buy the same exact model and transfer only my important files then i`ll switch the old one to the new and return it.
also is this legal??
I don't think mist2123 understood what you were saying because your wording is slightly ambiguous: "switch" could simply mean swapping which device you're using.. however I believe you mean you're going to switch the disks inside the device. The later case is probably not legal, though we would need to know more about your local legal system to know for sure. Technically it is a form of fraud, a minor one but fraud never the less.

Even if you're morally willing to disregard this, bear in mind that hard drives (like most computer equipment) have serial numbers which will be tracked. If you swap the disk there is a chance they will notice. Also keep in mind that simply opening the device can void the warranty, meaning any claim made against it could be rejected (and you would be billed for postage just to find this out).

If you're thinking of employing a "return to vendor" style replacement procedure (where you get the shop to replace the device), you'll have all of the above problems. They'll just be off-set slightly as you won't be dealing with the manufacturer.

If the original device is under warranty, copy the data off and arrange a return it under the warranty procedure for that device. If it isn't you're out of luck and should just buy a new device.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 17:20   Link #36
masama
use the fōrks ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Man that same goes to DVDs or other media. The only difference is that if an HDD dies you lose big but in the other hand you have easy, fast e space saving factors when using HDD to stockpile.
well try dropping a dvd and hard drive and see if they yield the same result. Chances are if you drop an external hard drive, especially while it's running, it's probably damaged.

Regarding dvds, I always use the cheapest possible and do "verify data after burn", it takes twice the time but at least it gives me my peace of mind.
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 19:12   Link #37
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

For long term storage I'ld prefer the hdd over any optical media (except pressed CDs/DVDs which are thanks to their production process far more robust).
Old 2007-07-17, 01:07   Link #38
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by masama View Post
well try dropping a dvd and hard drive and see if they yield the same result. Chances are if you drop an external hard drive, especially while it's running, it's probably damaged.

Regarding dvds, I always use the cheapest possible and do "verify data after burn", it takes twice the time but at least it gives me my peace of mind.
LOL... that's why you must always put the HDD in a safe place. BTW, if you keep dropping DVD, throwing them, etc, like some of my friends you end up with the DVD full of scratches. I had some of them returned to me in that condition and of course had reading problems when I tried them. Stopped lending my DVDs to those friends.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:54   Link #39
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Actually I've found that the external 2.5 laptop hdds (iomega, lacie maxtor etc etc) can take a beating. I outsource all my torrenting on a 120g iomega 2.5 and this thing has taken a beating. I've travelled all over Australia with it, dropped it countless times and its still kicking. I guess the 2.5 laptop HDD's are designed to take a bit of punishment as opposed to desktop models
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 09:08   Link #40
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:

im good hehehehe

also is this legal??
Of course it is illegal. Buy a new one, swap the package and return an old one is fraud.

And if your drive is old enough for the warranty to expire it will be difficult to find the same model anyway.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote