AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-14, 01:44   Link #2121
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalpha View Post
Hello guys. I recently came up a new nanoha fic idea, but there's one thing that I'd like some help with as I'm not too keen on certain details.

Specifically, the weapon that athura used in A's - I forgot what it was called, but I recall it having a destructive range of some hundred kilometers or something. Can someone provide me more details on that weapon, as well as what kind of effects/impact it would have if fired upon the surface of Earth. I'm thinking that it might be akin to a nuke but I'm not too knowledgeable though.

Much appreciated for input, thanks.
I can't provide you with the details you ask for, but I can tell you its name:

Arc-en-Ciel.
Old 2009-07-14, 02:04   Link #2122
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
From what I remember of Chrono and Yuuno's comments during A's, the weapon is a spatial distortion type that can damage areas in excess of a multiple hundred-kilometer radius. The range was never specifically mentioned.

All they really said was it would make a boom big enough to turn probably a quarter of the United States into radioactive glass.
Old 2009-07-14, 02:45   Link #2123
darkalpha

That bad? Tch, looks like I underestimated its destructiveness. Read: its not something that could be covered up by TSAB via conventional means to appease the general public should Arc-en-Ciel zap in the neighborhood of Japan. Though in the light of the potential scope of destruction, it makes Vita's comment about Hayate's house being blown away funnier.

(Basically TSAB had to take care of BoD incident w/o nanoha's interfence per canon and wasn't able to minimize damage/casulities like it was in canon and had to try cover it up to avoid exposing TSAB's existence to the world.)

I guess ill have to figure something else out. Thanks guys.
Old 2009-07-14, 03:02   Link #2124
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

A lengthy discussion was had about the translation of the effective radius, and the conclusion was that the radius was 'a hundred and something' kilometers. Basically, a bit over one hundred kilometers.
Old 2009-07-14, 12:40   Link #2125
Once and Current Subber

It's not so much a "boom" as a "sucks things in and then they're gone" effect too, right? It wouldn't flatten terrain, it'd just dig a big crater... ('course, who knows how much actual "stuff" it can suck in? Maybe it has a different blast pattern when fired at a surface.)
Old 2009-07-14, 12:42   Link #2126
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

So... Sphere of Destruction kind of thing similar to what FLEIA did to Tokyo in Code Geass R2, or what the MIDAS did to Yokohama Base in Front Mission 3?
Old 2009-07-14, 12:51   Link #2127
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well... what we saw in A's was a mixture of both, it started by sucking things in but ended with a massive explosion. It wasn't really a 'sphere of destruction' though. More a ring of destruction.
Old 2009-07-14, 13:09   Link #2128
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It did look pretty ridiculous. ^^;

Were I to write concerning the weapon, I'd probably diverge from canon to make it feel a little more realistic/destructive.
Old 2009-07-14, 17:26   Link #2129
hideki101
Bored out of his mind...

Another thing about the Arc-en-Ciel is that there seems to be two different ways to fire it. Compare the one that Graham uses to destroy the Hestia in ep10 versus the one they use to destroy the Book of Darkness in ep 12. The former seems to be a single shot like a photon torpedo (from star trek) while the second is a continuous beam.
Old 2009-07-14, 17:26   Link #2130
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Completely off-the-wall theory, but for some reason I read "spatial distortion" as "localized warp in dimensional space-time"--that is, it rips the area of effect through a dimensional warp, scattering whatever happens to be in the target dimension across other dimensions. It also explains why there's no apparent effect beyond that radius of effect (though of course we can't necessarily say that, because both times it's fired, we see it in the vacuum of space), because the dust cloud, the radiation (if any), and so on is all scattered across hundreds, even thousands of different dimensions. Plus sparkly lights in the target area, of course.
Old 2009-07-14, 18:11   Link #2131
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
From what I interperate from visuals and dialogue.

The shot warps the immediate spacetime around the target, causing localized spatial stresses on anything within the target area of effect. This continues until the local spacetime can no longer compensate for the stress, it tears and the recoil from this snaps back like a rubber band.

BOOM!
Old 2009-07-14, 19:14   Link #2132
arkhangelsk

Quote:
That bad? Tch, looks like I underestimated its destructiveness. Read: its not something that could be covered up by TSAB via conventional means to appease the general public should Arc-en-Ciel zap in the neighborhood of Japan. Though in the light of the potential scope of destruction, it makes Vita's comment about Hayate's house being blown away funnier.

(Basically TSAB had to take care of BoD incident w/o nanoha's interfence per canon and wasn't able to minimize damage/casulities like it was in canon and had to try cover it up to avoid exposing TSAB's existence to the world.)

I guess ill have to figure something else out. Thanks guys.
Actually, should the Arc be fired, the TSAB won't have to worry about "exposing their existence". They don't exist as far as Earth is concerned. Earth will have no choice but to figure that all of this is an "act of God". There is a very interesting story to be written about all this, but the TSAB won't be involved unless you want to have them debate whether they want to confess about the farce.
Old 2009-07-14, 21:36   Link #2133
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'd prefer to avoid Star Trek-style technobabble in the weapon's function. It is, after all, a magic weapon. It doesn't have to have a scientific explanation.
Old 2009-07-15, 08:47   Link #2134
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'd prefer to avoid Star Trek-style technobabble in the weapon's function. It is, after all, a magic weapon. It doesn't have to have a scientific explanation.
I wouldn't call dimensional stresses a Star Trek technobabble.

It could easily be explained in the form of extreme tidal forces.

Star Trek Technobabble is when you get to the point where 'modulating the deflector dish and firing a phased polaron beam' solves everything from black holes to time travel. And sprinkling Tachyons solves everything else.
Old 2009-07-15, 09:54   Link #2135
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

laughing very hard.
Old 2009-07-15, 15:28   Link #2136
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Hey, it's true. Half the stuff they fix involves some modification to the deflector dish.

Usually involving the terms 'modulate' , 'tachyon' , 'subspace' or 'quantum' at any given point.

Were I on the enterprise, my first question would be quite simple.

Picard: Mr. Data! What is that?

DATA: It's a hostile alien dimension creature...

Picard: How do we defeat it?

DATA: I would surmise that-

ME: Skip everything and use whatever plan involves the Deflector Dish.

DATA: ?

ME: Works on everything else...

DATA: He makes a good point Captain.

PICARD: Make it so.

*End of Episode, five minutes in...*
Old 2009-07-15, 22:25   Link #2137
darkalpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Actually, should the Arc be fired, the TSAB won't have to worry about "exposing their existence". They don't exist as far as Earth is concerned. Earth will have no choice but to figure that all of this is an "act of God". There is a very interesting story to be written about all this, but the TSAB won't be involved unless you want to have them debate whether they want to confess about the farce.
Yes, you're right about that; as far as Earth'd be concerned it probably was an asteroid strike or an act of God or something. Rather, we already know about Graham and Lieze twins's involvement in the BoD incident and them being promiment figures within the agency certainly there'd be bound some higher-ups wanting to conceal their actions and the unpleasant reults should Arc have been fired. A cover-up to keep the face of TSAB nice and clean, so to speak. "Earth? What Earth?"

That's the aspect I'm considering working on, hence my interest into Arc-en-Ciel.
Old 2009-07-15, 23:20   Link #2138
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
Yes, you're right about that; as far as Earth'd be concerned it probably was an asteroid strike or an act of God or something. Rather, we already know about Graham and Lieze twins's involvement in the BoD incident and them being promiment figures within the agency certainly there'd be bound some higher-ups wanting to conceal their actions and the unpleasant reults should Arc have been fired. A cover-up to keep the face of TSAB nice and clean, so to speak. "Earth? What Earth?"

That's the aspect I'm considering working on, hence my interest into Arc-en-Ciel.
Investigator: "Sir, I've noticed a discrepency in the archive."

Commander: "What kind of discrepency?"

Investigator: "Well, I was persuing leads on our suspected Terrorist when I noticed something odd about the Non-Administered Worlds database."

Commander: "What about it?"

Investigator: "I was going through records 93, 94, 95, 96, 98, 99, and 100 trying to find possible-"

Commander: "You skipped 97..."

Investigator: "Actually, That's just it sir... Record 97... it's not there."

Commander: "You mean Record 97 is blank?"

Investigator: "No sir. I'd be able to reconstruct data from any archiving glitch that blanked record 97, or even be able to trace any previous access of that record had it been tampered with. But I don't even have a marker place for the record. It's just simply, not there. There IS no record 97."

Commander: There's something fishy going on here... Send an encrypted message to Internal Affairs. Inform them of possible archive tampering activity. Don't say anything else. They'll find it on their own.

Investigator: "Done. What do you think is going on?"

Commander: "Whatever it is, sticking our nose into it alone is dangerous. Shut down the terminal, the hard way."

Investigator: "On it."
Old 2009-07-15, 23:35   Link #2139
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Investigator: "Sir, I've noticed a discrepency in the archive."

Commander: "What kind of discrepency?"

Investigator: "Well, I was persuing leads on our suspected Terrorist when I noticed something odd about the Non-Administered Worlds database."

Commander: "What about it?"

Investigator: "I was going through records 93, 94, 95, 96, 98, 99, and 100 trying to find possible-"

Commander: "You skipped 97..."

Investigator: "Actually, That's just it sir... Record 97... it's not there."

Commander: "You mean Record 97 is blank?"

Investigator: "No sir. I'd be able to reconstruct data from any archiving glitch that blanked record 97, or even be able to trace any previous access of that record had it been tampered with. But I don't even have a marker place for the record. It's just simply, not there. There IS no record 97."

Commander: There's something fishy going on here... Send an encrypted message to Internal Affairs. Inform them of possible archive tampering activity. Don't say anything else. They'll find it on their own.

Investigator: "Done. What do you think is going on?"

Commander: "Whatever it is, sticking our nose into it alone is dangerous. Shut down the terminal, the hard way."

Investigator: "On it."
*chortle* Cute. But why cover it up? The Book of Darkness isn't a secret, after all. It's a major problem that routinely demands the attention of whole fleets whenever it manifests in the universe. Book located, Book ran out of control, Book suppressed by force. Use of said force justified due to extreme danger (hey, if they can Arc their own fleet, they can Arc a chunk of an irrelevant Non-Administered World).

Remember that the Arc-en-Ciel wouldn't be fired by Graham or the conspirators; it's employed by the legitimate TSAB investigation under Lindy's command. The only real issue (presuming that Graham was exposed) would be Graham's own guilt in (a) concealing the location of the Book from the TSAB, (b) interfering with the Arthra's (including Nanoha, etc.) attempts to prevent the Book from being completed, and (c) how effective his scheme would have been without all the emotions bundled in.

(Bonus points granted to the legitimacy of the Arc firing if it was only the last stage of the plan that failed--that is, if all the beating on the defense program failed to isolate the core so that it could be teleported to a safe location. In that case, the Arthra teleports everybody aboard, destroys the defense program with the Arc, and Reinforce shuts herself down as she did at the end of A's, ending the threat of the book. Happy end, unless you happen to live in Uminari City or have friends or relatives there.)
Old 2009-07-16, 00:11   Link #2140
darkalpha

But that's it, Lindy and her co were never present in the first place when A's occured. Or Nanoha, for that matter.

I remembered reading elsewhere in one of threads here that Nanoha novel mentioned something about TSAB having a policy of forcibly removing any mages deemed to be too powerful or dangerous to be left unsupervised on an unadministrated world and detaining them, or something along those lines.

That's pretty much what happened; TSAB simply didn't let Nanoha return home at end of first season, wanted to hold her for couple of months. And guess what happens? BoD pops up in her hometown ala A's and eventually goes berserk when Graham and sisters implements their plans.
What's TSAB to tell Nanoha about it? "Sorry, one of our generals deliberately let rank S Logia go berserk in your city and we had to vaporize it along with the logia for the greater good of universe?"

Seriously though, I'm still working on the idea, but is basically about nanoha (finally) coming home only to find out that chunks of her city were destroyed in some supposedly 'unbelivable' event, and TSAB never bothered inform (or deliberately concealed the incident from) her. I suppose it'd be like one of your typical conspiracy story where the big company's trying to keep some secrets from its workers.

Though this is getting off topic so next time I reply, it'll be in the fanfic thread where it should belong.
Closed Thread