AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-02, 10:09   Link #21
ronin myael
lost ronin

an "elephant" move from luffy? looks like the speculations about luffy using animal-named attacks turn out to be very true.

i thought the fishmen's confusion regarding brooke's humanity was hilarious!

i gotta ask though, what's the purpose of the noah? what is the significance of that thing anyway? is it supposed to be just a large ship that decken used as a weapon against fishmen island and nothing else? i was hoping there's more to it than that. if luffy ends up destroying it then what's the big deal about it? why does the king want to protect it? i'm confused.
Old 2011-11-02, 10:12   Link #22
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
an "elephant" move from luffy? looks like the speculations about luffy using animal-named attacks turn out to be very true.

i thought the fishmen's confusion regarding brooke's humanity was hilarious!

i gotta ask though, what's the purpose of the noah? what is the significance of that thing anyway? is it supposed to be just a large ship that decken used as a weapon against fishmen island and nothing else? i was hoping there's more to it than that. if luffy ends up destroying it then what's the big deal about it? why does the king want to protect it? i'm confused.
It's a vestige from the past that presumably brought a big tragedy upon Fishman Island residents. Nothing else is known about the Noah, but now it won't matter anymore, this ship must be destroyed or else the island will crumble.
Old 2011-11-02, 10:23   Link #23
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Elephant from elephant gun.

Luffy's attacks are named after weapons not animals (bazooka, gatling gun etc.).
Old 2011-11-02, 10:27   Link #24
Homura7

So now Luffy will inevitably lose too much blood, I guess the best solution to this would be make him eat some meat but... this is Fishman Island we're talking about.
Old 2011-11-02, 10:30   Link #25
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Elephant from elephant gun.

Luffy's attacks are named after weapons not animals (bazooka, gatling gun etc.).
nah, some posters joked about luffy's attacks being named after animals because of that red hawk move. some said luffy should have attacks named after an elephant, panther, rat, snake, etc.
Old 2011-11-02, 11:10   Link #26
Kallen4life

............... there was a WB flashback
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-11-02, 11:36   Link #27
game2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Heh, looks like I was right on the money with my last post:

Well, he didn't show any new swords, but we DO see poison.

That last attack from Hody was actually pretty cool, IMO. Too bad it still meant nothing against Luffy, though. Still, after reading the chapter, I'm still convinced that Hody still hasn't gone down yet (he stuffed himself with even MORE steroids right before his shark missile attack..... maybe he'll undergo one last transformation before he's finally taken out once and for all.....

BTW, I think I spotted a translation mistake already: Luffy saying that he's "a million times stronger" than Hody is a lot different from what I saw in aohige's translation of the spoiler script:

In other words, I think it's more accurate to think that he was actually comparing Jones to supernova-level pirates, rather than bragging about being stronger than him. Oh, and Brooke owned this chapter. Just needed to point that out again.

The ministory is also amusing, as well (so even the Skypieans realize Usopp's awesomeness now, do they....? ).

Considering that merman island was a place that had literally over a decade of build-up, I'd have been very surprised if this storyline lasted less than a year (and I certainly didn't see it ending in a mere 10 chapters, as a certain mod seemed to believe back when this arc started...... ).
From what I know, the former (Luffy being million times tougher than Hody) is supposed to be the correct one.
Old 2011-11-02, 11:53   Link #28
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
nah, some posters joked about luffy's attacks being named after animals because of that red hawk move. some said luffy should have attacks named after an elephant, panther, rat, snake, etc.
Red Hawk is also the name of a magnum revolver :|
Old 2011-11-02, 12:17   Link #29
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Interesting... maybe he's got a Gomu Gomu no Railgun attack, too ?

The chapter was awesome, but tooo short and there's a break next week. The cover story was very nice - Ussop is now like Jayne from Firefly , and he got a ton of dials in exchange for some rubber bands back then (best trade ever!). I hope he goes back to see the statue...
Old 2011-11-02, 12:17   Link #30
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Chopper can control Monster Point now that was a surprise
Old 2011-11-02, 12:20   Link #31
Kallen4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
someone should a Broken Butterfly move :O
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-11-02, 12:26   Link #32
Homura7

Something isn't right. Right before Luffy smacked the hell out of him Hody shoved like 20 or more pills into his mouth, so I don't think he's done yet.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:31   Link #33
Mazkoom

Send a message via MSN to Mazkoom
amazing chapter..

did anyone notice the fangs on blackbeard's hands? it seems thats how he made that scar on shank's face (check the seventh page).
Old 2011-11-02, 12:57   Link #34
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazkoom View Post
amazing chapter..

did anyone notice the fangs on blackbeard's hands? it seems thats how he made that scar on shank's face (check the seventh page).
Yeah he definitely looks like he's using one of those bladed fist weapons.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2011-11-02, 12:57   Link #35
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Yah! This arc is ending soon, which I'm glad, but at the same time hopeful for Shirley to join the "Straw hats".

I believe she should be over 30 and be able to swap her tail for legs.
Old 2011-11-02, 13:03   Link #36
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Yah! This arc is ending soon, which I'm glad, but at the same time hopeful for Shirley to join the "Straw hats".

I believe she should be over 30 and be able to swap her tail for legs.
Ah... I wish people stopped uttering such nonsense, even if it's just for jokes.
Old 2011-11-02, 13:04   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Chopper's smile on the last page had me laughing quite a bit, talk about class.

Shame we have to wait two weeks after such a cliffhanger!
Old 2011-11-02, 13:06   Link #38
marvelB

To be honest, I wouldn't object to Shirley joining either, but she kind of has the same problem that Margaret had in the sense that she barely had any kind of character development. Shame too, since we even found out that she's Arlong's sister....
Old 2011-11-02, 14:33   Link #39
Mikoku

If I had to pick someone from Fishman island to join Strawhats it would be Jinbe.
Old 2011-11-02, 14:43   Link #40
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
From what I know, the former (Luffy being million times tougher than Hody) is supposed to be the correct one.
No it's not.

They simply chose it because they feel it's natural, but it's not what Luffy said.

If they want to write their own story, which is what's been happening frequently these past several dozen chapters, go ahead, but it doesn't make it canon.

He was not, in any way or form, addressing the line to himself.
He literally said "His toughness is like a over-100-million". Obviously referring to the Supernova level bounty heads.

Here. This is what I posted in AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aohige_AP
Regardless of how "wrong" you think Luffy's line sounds, that's what he says.
Mangastream is simply wrong.

If you want to make it sound more natural, it would be like
"Man... he's like a over-100 million bounty when it comes to toughness..!"

But that's what he says.

Live with it.

This is not even an issue in Japanese forums.
EDIT -------------------------------------------------------------- EDIT

Quote:
Elephant Gun, Snake Shot, and Red Hawk are all real-life firearm terms, bro.

Elephant Rifle is the insanely high caliber rifle you use to hunt Elephants.
Snake Shot is a name of small caliber ammo used to kill snakes and rodents.
Red Hawk is a Ruger revolver. And like I pointed out in the previous chapter thread, "Fire Fist Rifle" is a mistranslation by mangastream. It's Fire Fist PISTOL. Hence the reference.

Luffy's new moves will likely follow this trend, and use firearm terms with animal names in them.

Last edited by aohige; 2011-11-02 at 14:55.
Closed Thread