AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-02-24, 10:25   Link #81
TheSix

I've noticed a few things I consider absent in the list:

The Macross franchise. I've noticed in the short time I've been on this site that I've recommended it more than anything else: You can call me one - note, but there is reason for that. Super Dimension Fortress, Plus and especially Frontier are the best mecha Anime I've ever witnessed (the other entries in the franchise I consider decent, just not on their level). There aren't any viewing specifics required aside from watching SDF before Frontier, since that provides context for how the latter builds on the former's themes: Indeed, Frontier, despite being the most recent, feels more like a sequel to SDF than any other part of the franchise. The only problems with this recommendation I see involving your tastes would be that idols are involved, and looking through your list/blog you dropped two Kawamori series (EVOL and Nobunaga) previously. Still, the idol element isn't given as much focus as some others, and all three of these series are Kawamori at his very best: He's not to be dismissed until you see the cream of his crop.

Seeing as you liked Penguindrum, I'll throw in it's spiritual predecessor: Revolutionary Girl Utena. It boasts a cast of excellent Characters and great visuals, with a somewhat quirky tone and other elements similar to Penguindrum. Definitely something to view.
Old 2014-02-24, 21:55   Link #82
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yeah, sorry about that - points up a few oversights on my list as I've seen several of those, which are now fixed.

I would be hard-pressed to say Railgun 2 is going to work for me considering how thoroughly the first season annoyed me, to be honest. As for Katanagatari, it's just a Nisio Isin thing with me - I absolutely can't stand his writing style. I did dislike Katanagatari a lot less than his other series, though.
Still think you ought to watch Railgun 2. Well the first 16 episodes at least. If you liked Madoka Magica, then you will like the Sisters Arc. You probably won't care for the second arc though.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 00:38   Link #83
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow, someone resurrected my old thread!

For the record, just finished NHK no Youkouso (lived up to my expectations). Time is scarce and I'm doing two re-watches (Cross Game just because, and Mushishi for obvious reasons) but I'm debating between Skip Beat, Towards the Terra, FMP and Nodame Cantabile for my next bucket list series.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 01:40   Link #84
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Have you been able to get to Shion no Ou?
Old 2014-02-28, 04:29   Link #85
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No, that one is still in the pile I'm afraid.
Old 2014-02-28, 04:36   Link #86
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
No, that one is still in the pile I'm afraid.
Phooey.

Well, if it is somehow easier the manga has also been completed recently.

The adaptation is a good one in my opinion, but the manga is a little better.

By the way - if you did not know already the story is rather... dark.
Old 2014-02-28, 05:15   Link #87
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, I figured that out.
Old 2014-02-28, 07:23   Link #88
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Nodame Cantabile. Like right now.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 12:23   Link #89
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Are you okay with manga? If so I still highly recommend Qualia the Purple/Murasakiiro no Qualia. It's an 'odd' yet very creative psychological sci-fi like Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes (closer to the former though). Can you read Japanese? Even better so you can probably get your hands on the books since you live in Japan if you feel like it. It's also just 3 volumes too btw.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 16:47   Link #90
Blaat

For me the three shows that stand out the most in the 'how could you have missed that?!' category are Monster, Twelve Kingdoms and Planetes. Not surprisingly I'm not the first who suggested these series.
I know you're a fan of Kasai Kenichi so there's Nodame Cantabile (the first series is a must watch) and Kimi Kiss Pure Rouge, the latter is Kasai Kenichi doing a dating sim game adaptation, a commercial failure as the otaku hated it.

Some other suggestions are Aria, Ghost in the Shell, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Shin Mazinger Z, Chevalier D'Eon, Mononoke and
Kara no Kyoukai movies series
Also the Run Melos short story in Aoi Bungaku series is well worth a watch.
Old 2014-02-28, 19:21   Link #91
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student no.0 View Post
Are you okay with manga? If so I still highly recommend Qualia the Purple/Murasakiiro no Qualia. It's an 'odd' yet very creative psychological sci-fi like Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes (closer to the former though). Can you read Japanese? Even better so you can probably get your hands on the books since you live in Japan if you feel like it. It's also just 3 volumes too btw.
I blog manga, so yeah! Still struggle with Kanji enough that reading raw manga is a time-consuming affair, though. I'll look for a translation, thanks.
Old 2014-02-28, 21:18   Link #92
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Hey Enzo, just wanted to drop you a line and say I read your blog every so often and think it's very well done.

I really think you should give Maison Ikkoku a try if you haven't yet. It's truly one of the greatest anime of all time, and that's not even taking into account the fact that it's a classic. I won't say it's perfect, but it's definitely the best romance anime I've ever seen and possibly the best "slice-of-life," too.

I also agree with Blaat that, based on what I understand of your tastes, you would most likely be a big fan of Monster, Twelve Kingdoms, and Planetes. Monster is my personal favorite of the three, but they are all phenomenal.

I still stand by my original suggestion of GunGRAVE from when you first created the thread, too.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 00:25   Link #93
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sadly, it wasn't I who topped the thread so the truth is, I'm really not in a position to watch anything from the bucket list at the moment - just no time. I do appreciate the continued suggestions, though, and will certainly factor them in when I can realistically pick up one of these older series.

Thanks for the shout out, ChainLeagacy. As for Maison Ikkoku, I have seen it but it's been so long that I remember very little about it.
Old 2014-03-01, 10:04   Link #94
Kirarakim

I was going to give recommendations but then I noticed this thread is from 2011

But curious Enzo, have you ever watched Rose of Versailles.. It is definitely one of the most rewarding classics.
Old 2014-03-01, 10:31   Link #95
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Sadly, it wasn't I who topped the thread so the truth is, I'm really not in a position to watch anything from the bucket list at the moment - just no time. I do appreciate the continued suggestions, though, and will certainly factor them in when I can realistically pick up one of these older series.

Thanks for the shout out, ChainLeagacy. As for Maison Ikkoku, I have seen it but it's been so long that I remember very little about it.
Haha, I didn't read the posts above and thought you were the one who bumped it. Strange that someone else would. Well, if you do find time, the ones I mentioned are a definite must.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 19:53   Link #96
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I was going to give recommendations but then I noticed this thread is from 2011

But curious Enzo, have you ever watched Rose of Versailles.. It is definitely one of the most rewarding classics.
I've seen Penguindrum - does that count?
Old 2014-03-01, 20:06   Link #97
Kirarakim

Quote:
I've seen Penguindrum - does that count?
Um definitely not

Just to clarify Ikuhara was obviously somewhat influenced by Rose of Versailles in his works but Rose of Versailles itself is nothing like an Ikuhara work. It's a pure historical and an amazing one at that. I even got my friend who isn't into anime to watch it so that should tell you something.
Old 2014-03-01, 20:27   Link #98
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The ultimate shoujo, I've heard it called. Certainly among the most influential.
Old 2014-03-02, 15:18   Link #99
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't know if this is worth mentioning but I recently picked up a shoujo manga called Pieces - Kanojo no Kioku and the first few chapters absolutely blew me away. My generally reaction was that I was almost appalled by the fact that I could have easily ignored it (I picked it up on a whim you see). The only problem is that it's only the first few chapters that are available and it doesn't look like that'll change any time soon...

I'd still recommend Kara no Kyoukai if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by Haak; 2014-03-02 at 17:11.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 18:12   Link #100
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't know if this is worth mentioning but I recently picked up a shoujo manga called Pieces - Kanojo no Kioku and the first few chapters absolutely blew me away. My generally reaction was that I was almost appalled by the fact that I could have easily ignored it (I picked it up on a whim you see). The only problem is that it's only the first few chapters that are available and it doesn't look like that'll change any time soon...

I'd still recommend Kara no Kyoukai if you haven't seen it.
One chapter in the last two years? Don't be such a pessimist!