AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-07-10, 04:06   Link #101
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
so judging by the OP, please don't tell me Ernie is going to be the one responsible for introducing space travel as well, as in historically in that universe he's the pioneer of it.
Ignoring that it is a reality in which magic exists, would rocket-thrusters really be stretching the imagination all that far? (but you're right in that the OP seems to show some sort of upper-atmosphere/space combat)

The 'knights' (putting aside the magical aspect) are grounded in rational and logical outcomes determined by engineering and other mechanical concepts (as far as that applies to building giant humanoid robots). I mean if they can launch fireballs out of thin air would it really be that hard to put together a magical beam sword (and yet they're using physical swords that snap in half).
Keila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 07:05   Link #102
John117xCortana

I might have been spoiled by Iron Blooded Orphans. But I found the battle scene with the giant beast to be lackluster. I didn't feel the dread or the 'oh shit' feeling, it just didn't feel scary nor did it really show just how dangerous that thing was.

I mean even in the manga he had a hard time fighting that thing. Even with the upgrades he made.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 07:58   Link #103
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
so judging by the OP, please don't tell me Ernie is going to be the one responsible for introducing space travel as well, as in historically in that universe he's the pioneer of it.
As of the latest volumes of the LN, space travel isn't even a thing at all, so it's likely just OP being cinematic.... unless they're changing up the story.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 09:40   Link #104
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
I might have been spoiled by Iron Blooded Orphans. But I found the battle scene with the giant beast to be lackluster. I didn't feel the dread or the 'oh shit' feeling, it just didn't feel scary nor did it really show just how dangerous that thing was.

I mean even in the manga he had a hard time fighting that thing. Even with the upgrades he made.
I hadn't watched Iron Blooded Orphans (or the light novels or the manga of this show for the matter), but I think they are deliberately going for the not-comedic but nevertheless lighthearted route for the anime version of the battle. I mean, really, this episode could have been quite grimdark for an episode 2. We see the entire defense force and a fort go down to the beast, several other knights and even one senior student became a crisp. Without us watching Ernesti clearly having a lot of fun in the mecha and the mecha bouncing all over the place, that could put a pall and change in tone for the rest of the anime.

So far I think the show is doing a surprisingly good job. As people have mentioned, Ernesti is a Stu character, and deliberately so. These characters can actually be hard to sell and I think one reason (of many) they kept in his programmer past life is simply so we know, before even the OP of episode one that "Look, we are going the Protagonist Is a Genius route for this one. We are not even trying to pretend he's Everyman." I appreciate such honesty, and this self-awareness means the author will make the small compensations that can make such characters work.

That programming is similar to magic has actually been done for a long time by now - Oh My Goddess had it. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha had it. So the idea that his programming past gave him an advantage is on a literary and logical level, actually a workable explanation. Further, the fact he brought along a lot of his memories and thinking as an adult is also a huge edge for Ernesti - the average brain is still developing to process more advanced and abstract concepts at his in-show age, so in effect Ernesti was allowed to skip all of that. If anything, it is the twins that are in a sense unreasonably OP, being able to use high magics at elementary school without that kind of edge - one would think their immature brains would choke at the more complicated formulations, which the show actually does a good job of suggesting the increased complexity.

Episode 1 was fast, but I think they decided to just show a bit of his backstory so you know where Ernesti is coming from. It did manage to put enough tiny wrinkles into Ernesti that despite him being a kind of Mr. Perfect he is nevertheless actually likable, which is a roadblock that many fail to surmount.

Episode 2 is, as said above, taking a deliberately lighthearted route, and it works. I was a bit when Ernesti's concern was for the robots, but then, what was Ernesti supposed to do. Get really really pissed about the dead? Go into catatonic shock? I think I'll take it as is.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 10:44   Link #105
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

now, as I'm 100% sure they have made this show for kids, I could lower my expectation *seriously, please remove the narrator*

I'm just happy to see how they exceed my expectation in animating the battle between our loli hideyoshi vs behemoth
Addy vs onee-chan harem battle is also promising
and as expected from best childhood friends, they already predict that Eru-kun would steal a silhouette knight
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 10:56   Link #106
LevelSeven

mhhh,

i liked the battle, the animation looked really good!

all the moves of the robo-knights...badass and im one who mostly hates mecha storys XD

anyway, the episode was quite nice but the pacing is killing me, this is like them running through the plot as fast as humanly possible, its sad because we dont learn anything about the chars really,

but i must admit: the deaths are well done, i was suprised seeing that, i thought it would be done off-screen
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 10:59   Link #107
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
mhhh,

i liked the battle, the animation looked really good!

all the moves of the robo-knights...badass and im one who mostly hates mecha storys XD

anyway, the episode was quite nice but the pacing is killing me, this is like them running through the plot as fast as humanly possible, its sad because we dont learn anything about the chars really,

but i must admit: the deaths are well done, i was suprised seeing that, i thought it would be done off-screen

Maybe they are rushing because they only have 1 cour to work with. But this is only my guess, since no official episode count has been given yet.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 11:15   Link #108
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
now, as I'm 100% sure they have made this show for kids, I could lower my expectation *seriously, please remove the narrator*
unless you wanted the narrator from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure who is like over the top enthusiastic even when explaining something that seems mundane.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 13:35   Link #109
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I was fine with the narrator.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 14:31   Link #110
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Maybe they are rushing because they only have 1 cour to work with. But this is only my guess, since no official episode count has been given yet.
but why should that force them to rush to such a degree?

i understand why they would rush planning scenes because they are ultimatively not what anime watchers want to see (i also want moving pictures and no chars just talking to no end) but the behemoth had a great build up in the novel and manga....they could have filled the left-over time with MC having battles or training magic with others

feels like wasted potential
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 15:37   Link #111
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I feel like they're rushing through the boring parts. The behemoth fight was nice, but it's just our brave hero fighting a giant monster. It didn't deserve more than one episode.

Of course, it's possible they'll also rush through the interesting ones as well.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 19:01   Link #112
Jaden

Episode 2 was pretty fun. Now that we're done making justifications for his Stu-ness and are just unabashedly rolling with it, I don't mind so much.
Old 2017-07-10, 21:35   Link #113
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
but why should that force them to rush to such a degree?

i understand why they would rush planning scenes because they are ultimatively not what anime watchers want to see (i also want moving pictures and no chars just talking to no end) but the behemoth had a great build up in the novel and manga....they could have filled the left-over time with MC having battles or training magic with others

feels like wasted potential
One possibility is they are trying to cram 5 volumes in 1 cour, hence the rushing.
This series has 2 good stopping points for story at Vol 3 or Vol 5.
5 is ideal, but 3 is also OK.

An official episode count will give a clearer picture of how many books they will be adapting.
Old 2017-07-11, 06:14   Link #114
Hmm....

Try to adapt 5 LN volumes within 1 cour is unthinkable. But who know that might just be what they are trying to do here. Not to mention each K&M's volume has 2 arcs. So each volume already has more content than average LN. I can't see it become anything but a disaster. Unless it got more than 1 cour which is very unlikely. Else it wouldn't be rushing through first volume like this.

I personally think volume 3 is a best stopping point. It will also make this whole season a prologue of sort. A kind that all LN adaptation aim for nowaday. But seriously, OP contain material from volume 4 worry to no end.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 08:34   Link #115
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Try to adapt 5 LN volumes within 1 cour is unthinkable. But who know that might just be what they are trying to do here. Not to mention each K&M's volume has 2 arcs. So each volume already has more content than average LN. I can't see it become anything but a disaster. Unless it got more than 1 cour which is very unlikely. Else it wouldn't be rushing through first volume like this.

I personally think volume 3 is a best stopping point. It will also make this whole season a prologue of sort. A kind that all LN adaptation aim for nowaday. But seriously, OP contain material from volume 4 worry to no end.
IIRC animes for Danmachi and Rokudenashi Akashic Records also adapted 5 LN volumes in 1 cour.
But, there was lot of cutting there.
Old 2017-07-11, 16:46   Link #116
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
IIRC animes for Danmachi and Rokudenashi Akashic Records also adapted 5 LN volumes in 1 cour.
But, there was lot of cutting there.
I don't think those anime were good either (or source material for that matter) and I hope K&M won't follow the same route.

Another possibility I hope for is that some OP content is just a teaser and won't happen in this season yet. Overlord, for example, did the same thing.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 21:38   Link #117
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Maybe they were going for a "fairy tale" feel for the anime. I'm okay with the narrator too.
Old 2017-07-12, 05:05   Link #118
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Episode 2 is, as said above, taking a deliberately lighthearted route, and it works. I was a bit when Ernesti's concern was for the robots, but then, what was Ernesti supposed to do. Get really really pissed about the dead? Go into catatonic shock? I think I'll take it as is.
I was also both amused and disturbed by the protag's reaction all his future comrades giving their lives to protect him and other students was go "oh poor robot!". In fact play out in some childlike manner once he showed up and not some gritty hard fought encounter. Maybe the show will call him out on that, but I probably shouldn't my breath too much. Things seem to bend over backwards a bit too much accordate him and his view at the moment. I'm curious to how the summon by the King will play on that end though. The rest of episode of was rather bland.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 09:32   Link #119
ScrewySquirrel

To some extent, while Eru/Ernie has some of his knowledge from his previous life, I dont get the feeling that Ernie has the mind of an adult in a child's body. He seems to still have a child's mind
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 10:59   Link #120
Vocah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
To some extent, while Eru/Ernie has some of his knowledge from his previous life, I dont get the feeling that Ernie has the mind of an adult in a child's body. He seems to still have a child's mind
Well, he is running on a child's hardware after all.
Vocah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mechs