AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 2 11.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 11.76%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 47.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 23.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-03-05, 18:57   Link #41
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

the journalist part is spot-on though.. That is how people in media worked
and the prime minister... yes! that is also how they worked! They would work hard for the election, not for people

oh Sherry... I believe you're not 12 years old.. you're way too mature and wise

at this rate, I think Itami's team would be the one that discover Tyuule's past and confront her
while the troops would deal with Zorzal
Noriko also looks very calm despite everything that has happened to herself, her "boyfriend", and her family

The flash grenade part was funny though.. my eyeeess!!!
Old 2016-03-05, 20:12   Link #42
eisai_haramasukoi

I've got to hand it to the author. He manage to portray a lot of things realistically here.

A lot of military advisers were brought in. That's a surprise.

Sherry is a very interesting character. She's maturing very quickly.

Another thing. This episode somehow justified the previous one. A lot of folks in other sites had been enraged with the "pedo-baiting" between Sugawara and Sherry. Sugawara actually chose a sin he can carry (reigniting the war and being called a pedo) over the one he can't (letting an young girl die).
Old 2016-03-05, 22:30   Link #43
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Now that I think about it, while the scene with buying the map was comical...was that a good idea? Aren't other nations going to get pissed off that Japan is actively hindering them even getting a decent map of the region?
Not sure if I buy the chuunibyou thing. Someone locked into their own fantasy I'm not sure would be easier to trick. That's just one attribute of a person. There could and should be other people who have nothing to do with that, that remain easier to manipulate. Regardless I didn't really see a big issue with that scene, other than it being a bit odd to use that term there. Doesn't really flow very well with the topic.

And to be fair I don't think the Empire's information is all that important. They probably don't have a clue what the Gate is or how it functions. Looking at the people in charge...I doubt they have the historical records of how long that Gate remains open. Though to be sure there was no specifics given on the time period. But it does seem to be far less than the amount of time it remains inactive. Maybe you get a few years out of that Gate, but probably not a century.
I don't know about the Chuuni thing either, though many people have certain strengths and weaknesses, and if you know what you're doing you can exploit them. If you're able to figure out that someone's a chuuni and what their fantasy is, then it may be possible to write a scenario that will play into that fantasy; and if they're borderline chuuni, not actively fantasizing and playacting like we often see but longing for something that dramatic that's believable enough for them to buy into it, then they'd certainly fit what Itami was talking about.

As for info about the Gate, I was going more on the information gathered by the old witch, over the course of a lifetime concerning the history and legends of all the different peoples. They talked of the way that visitors would fight or intermingle and have all kinds of relationships with the established population and eventually the Gate would close. As I said before, it sounds like the Gate at least stayed open long enough for new populations to be firmly established, which takes time. It might be a decade, or even a century, but I'd bet it's more than a year.
Old 2016-03-06, 07:32   Link #44
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
so having a Chuunibyou history makes you vulnerable against influence that forces you to do crime? what does that supposed to mean?
No, he's saying they're more likely to believe a situation that realistically wouldn't be probable.

Like, "Those people are pretending to be demigod and her followers, they're actually evildoers conspiring to murder your customers! It's up to you to save the day!"
Old 2016-03-06, 09:20   Link #45
Atamahead027

anyone know what beefeater do to increase the soldier morale? i am curious, very curious!!!
Old 2016-03-06, 11:14   Link #46
mergele

The wierd thing is that the reporter has a pont with the Potemkin village. It may not be that way, but watching from an outside perspective it would be very possible of it beeing that way.
Old 2016-03-06, 14:37   Link #47
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergele View Post
The wierd thing is that the reporter has a pont with the Potemkin village. It may not be that way, but watching from an outside perspective it would be very possible of it beeing that way.
Sad but true; it'd be natural after all for the common folk to see them as an invading force, so you'd expect some friction. A stranger going in to a village at the site of an invading force's local base of operations would not expect to be surrounded by happy and well-off individuals who all have nothing bad to say about the strange people who just showed up one day and laid claim to a piece of their homeland. In such a situation, it would make sense to suspect that the SDF might have tried to hide the truth. That said, it's clear that this guy is not merely making the natural observation but rather coming in with the sort of cynicism you see in the worst kind of journalist (which unfortunately is a fairly common breed). Even when everyone's working hard and putting forth their best efforts he comments derisively about how they're "slacking off" and gloats about how he's going to expose them laying about and wasting money.
Old 2016-03-06, 16:54   Link #48
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Sad but true; it'd be natural after all for the common folk to see them as an invading force, so you'd expect some friction. A stranger going in to a village at the site of an invading force's local base of operations would not expect to be surrounded by happy and well-off individuals who all have nothing bad to say about the strange people who just showed up one day and laid claim to a piece of their homeland. In such a situation, it would make sense to suspect that the SDF might have tried to hide the truth. That said, it's clear that this guy is not merely making the natural observation but rather coming in with the sort of cynicism you see in the worst kind of journalist (which unfortunately is a fairly common breed). Even when everyone's working hard and putting forth their best efforts he comments derisively about how they're "slacking off" and gloats about how he's going to expose them laying about and wasting money.
Which is why I called him cartoonishly evil. He could have been just as tough an antagonist without that attitude which I find frankly bizarre. He has very good reasons to suspect the JSDF's hiding something, starting with how long it took to invite journalists. And ending with the fact that, well, they're hiding something.

(And when I call his attitude bizarre, I don't just mean his hostility toward the military, or his desire for an audience.)

Though I suspect he isn't going to be tough at all. That we'll end up marveling at how cleverly the SDF deals with him, and he'll end up looking as foolish and petty as the female politician.
Old 2016-03-07, 05:45   Link #49
Yan3242

Quote:
I've got to hand it to the author. He manage to portray a lot of things realistically here.
the scene where those politician start saying stuff to rather save those people in the jade palace and dont mind losing election.....

that is not realistic at all i was literally laughing so hard at that scene like "yeah right"

i dont mind if they trying to make sdf/japan being the good guy (the story is made by japanese afterall) but at this point the author just trying too hard, not that it much different than murica movie, but still....
Old 2016-03-07, 07:30   Link #50
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post
the scene where those politician start saying stuff to rather save those people in the jade palace and dont mind losing election.....

that is not realistic at all i was literally laughing so hard at that scene like "yeah right"

i dont mind if they trying to make sdf/japan being the good guy (the story is made by japanese afterall) but at this point the author just trying too hard, not that it much different than murica movie, but still....
I was thinking that the politician worrying about the election finally realized that non-SDF dead Japanese in the Special Region would affect votes more than a news story about military action. So yeah, he's still being self-centered.
Old 2016-03-07, 09:06   Link #51
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post

That's what you call cynicism. There ARE politicians out there who will say "damn the election, I'm doing what's right," they're just rare. That's a major flaw in the republican system: the elected officials are supposed to be working for the sake of the people, but often the ones who get elected are the ones who'll work hardest for the sake of their own image, and will not mind letting any number of people die just because saving them could cost them their next election.
Old 2016-03-08, 16:04   Link #52
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Which is why I called him cartoonishly evil. He could have been just as tough an antagonist without that attitude which I find frankly bizarre. He has very good reasons to suspect the JSDF's hiding something, starting with how long it took to invite journalists. And ending with the fact that, well, they're hiding something.

(And when I call his attitude bizarre, I don't just mean his hostility toward the military, or his desire for an audience.)

Though I suspect he isn't going to be tough at all. That we'll end up marveling at how cleverly the SDF deals with him, and he'll end up looking as foolish and petty as the female politician.
That pretty much how I feel here. He could had also highlighted another notable reporter as contrast to balance his character, it's not perfect solution but it would make the whole thing look less like a strawman. Especially because not like I disagree with the general issue the author presenting with people like him. However in context of the show it comes across like a heavy handed blanket statement. That said I do appreciate aohige for giving a bit context in regards to that scene.

I mind don't the rosy outlook of military in this series because they are MC collectively and it's nice a LN cast full of adults, but things like that is why I hate it when GATE delves into RL politics since where authors bias becomes super apparent and drags down a decent story.

That aside I think Sherry is becoming one standout characters to appear so far. I really starting to question if she actually 12? Sugawara probably has no idea what he's getting into with her. She's gonna be quite a leader in few years with mindset already forming at this age.
Old 2016-03-08, 17:10   Link #53
ReddyRedWolf

As someone in SB pointed out the Prime Minister don't need the elections as his own party will kick him out of power if diplomats are killed by his stupidity.
Old 2016-03-09, 12:43   Link #54
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Iv recently started thinking about the actual GATE more. Like how long will it stay open for?, Once it closes how long does it stay closed and if it does reopen there is no way to know if it will reopen on earth again. If the Japanese are actually studying the gate on the other side maybe they have found a way to open and close the gate at their will but highly doubt it. Because it closes randomly everyone on the other side will be stuck there for god knows how long.
Old 2016-03-09, 15:51   Link #55
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Like how long will it stay open for?, Once it closes how long does it stay closed and if it does reopen there is no way to know if it will reopen on earth again?
While we don't know for how long usually GATE remains open we do now that once it close down it will not be opened again for 1000 years. At least that's what it was explained in series.

As for will it open on Earth again - who knows? Last 2 times it did, but that does not mean it will open 3'rd time as well.
Old 2016-03-11, 08:25   Link #56
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
That pretty much how I feel here. He could had also highlighted another notable reporter as contrast to balance his character, it's not perfect solution but it would make the whole thing look less like a strawman.
Kuribayashi's sister? I do not see her acting like the other journalist. She just seems a professional trying her best to deliver news to it's audience.
Closed Thread