AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2022-06-16, 17:31   Link #1
cyberdemon

Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth [Winter 2023] [PS5]

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Coming next winter
Old 2022-06-16, 19:02   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So... where do you think they'll end this game at? A friend of mine is betting they'll end the game in the City of the Ancients at THAT scene.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-16, 19:43   Link #3
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So... where do you think they'll end this game at? A friend of mine is betting they'll end the game in the City of the Ancients at THAT scene.
We can’t even be sure that THAT SCENE will even that place after the ending of remake.
Old 2022-06-16, 20:06   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
We can’t even be sure that THAT SCENE will even that place after the ending of remake.
Possibly, but there are probably a few elements of the original storyline that are so central and crucial that you can't make some radical changes to them, like they're part of the "core" experience. I could argue that THAT scene has to happen in some form or another because it's the major catalyst for the story after that point.
Old 2022-06-16, 20:07   Link #5
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
IIRC in one of Remake interview, they mentioned about Turks role.
Sonon also seems to serve as prototype for Cid. So I'm guessing the same. The end of Rebirth will be City of Ancients.

Old 2022-06-16, 20:12   Link #6
cyberdemon

Quote:
Possibly, but there are probably a few elements of the original storyline that are so central and crucial that you can't make some radical changes to them, like they're part of the "core" experience. I could argue that THAT scene has to happen in some form or another because it's the major catalyst for the story after that point.
However if you consider the idea that Sephiroth remembers the original timeline then he would likely be reluctant to kill and be more likely to disrupt her instead. If she dies, she is free to call holy. If she is alive the he can physically obstruct her.
Old 2022-06-16, 20:52   Link #7
stray
Classic Yandere

All the fucking exclusivity deals have sapped any interest I ever had in this remake. I'll wait until 2060 when they finally finish it.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-16, 22:05   Link #8
The Green One

Huh PS5 exclusive. That's.... inconvenient.
Old 2022-06-18, 11:49   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
They've confirmed it'll be a trilogy, that would leave way too much stuff for the last entry to cover.

And yeah, I don't think that scene is going to happen either. Nomura said they chose the title Rebirth for an important reason. I expect the story to go completely off track around the middle of the game.
Old 2022-06-18, 12:23   Link #10
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
However if you consider the idea that Sephiroth remembers the original timeline then he would likely be reluctant to kill and be more likely to disrupt her instead. If she dies, she is free to call holy. If she is alive the he can physically obstruct her.
The fact that this discussion is even happening is what they're going for.

If they had followed the original down to the letter, people who played the original would be aware of all the twists.

Now no one knows what to expect now, so even people who played the original would be surprised if they kill her off again because people are all expecting something different.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-21, 12:14   Link #11
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I expect the game to end either at Temple of the Ancients OR at the Glacier. There's a lot of ground to cover either way, especially if things are different.
Quote:
Huh PS5 exclusive. That's.... inconvenient.
So much for promising all parts on PS4 too. I get where they're coming from, but still.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-22, 11:18   Link #12
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The fact that this discussion is even happening is what they're going for.

If they had followed the original down to the letter, people who played the original would be aware of all the twists.

Now no one knows what to expect now, so even people who played the original would be surprised if they kill her off again because people are all expecting something different.
I don't think many were asking for a verbatim remake of the original. Could have still kept the main story beats intact while expanding on the core story. Instead they went the full fever dream fanfic alternate timeline sequel route. Not gonna lie. Was very salty being sold on a remake, but instead getting FF7-2 with Sephiroth Everywhere added in.

While I suppose it's a good thing that fans both old and new can both be surprised by this...re-imagining of FF7, do any of their recent works inspire any confidence that they can stick the landing? It doesn't help that the most of the compilation of FF7 stuff, while cool, were pretty meh at best.

Then of course it's supposed to be a PS5 exclusive? I bought a PS4 Pro just for part one. My hype was at an all-time level when the third phase of JENOVA started. I daresay everyone started headbanging when the beat started playing. But of course the rest of the game happened and needless to say I highly doubt I'd be getting a PS5. Took...3? years to hit Steam? Maybe I'll get to play the trilogy before I hit my 40s.

I'm gonna call it. There's going to be a scene of the entire bishie boy band squad fighting DESTINY 2.0, or better yet another bishie boy band squad, in FF7:Remembrance cause damn that's cool!
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-22, 13:09   Link #13
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
I don't think many were asking for a verbatim remake of the original. Could have still kept the main story beats intact while expanding on the core story. Instead they went the full fever dream fanfic alternate timeline sequel route. Not gonna lie. Was very salty being sold on a remake, but instead getting FF7-2 with Sephiroth Everywhere added in.
Kitase has said that's exactly what they're going to do: follow the story beats of the original. Whether you believe that or not is your problem.

Had it been a one to one remake of the original, then everyone who played the original would know all the twists. Now because there is this hope that because they can change things, they can still follow the original, then shock people with the same twists.
But now with both the characters and the players now having this idea that maybe things will be different, like maybe they can prevent her death this time, so if she still dies, then it will have the same shock value as the original.

The fact that you evidently believe things will end up differently is the point. It's false hope. Killing her now anyway would be the opposite of what you thought would happen.
Old 2022-06-24, 08:32   Link #14
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Kitase has said that's exactly what they're going to do: follow the story beats of the original. Whether you believe that or not is your problem.
*shrugs* they were also planning on killing near everyone on the Highwind at the end of the game and that's obviously not what happened. Granted I buy that they plan on following the original story beats. Why they would do where's waldo when they already jumped the shark is beyond me, but I'm just doubtful that whatever plot device they use to subvert expectations will be any good. Certainly wasn't any good with that Fate boss fight.
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-27, 12:28   Link #15
Homura7

It's really not that difficult to figure out where the new story's going. The major beats will still be there and the journey will largely remain the same, otherwise the games wouldn't have FFVII in the tittle.

But there's following the major story beats, and there's having them play out the same. And let me tell it to you straight, THAT scene's not going to happen like it did once. There would be no point, as it would defeat the entire purpose of the new story.

Maybe because I'm not blinded by nostalgia and because Square reinvented the concept of remake to deliver something new rather than having the same stuff in HD like we were used to, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing FF7 REMAKE, and I felt overjoyed at finding out the game wasn't a remaster but a stealth sequel of FF7. And because of that, I took notice of every major hint and every important piece of narrative that will play a important role later down the line.

If you played REMAKE, then you should have an idea of how's REBIRTH going to play out: story will follow all the major beats and locations with some minor changes and a major turning point in the final chapter. With that in mind, is very easy to guess which specific location the game will end up to: City of Ancients.

But if there's one thing I'm sure the next release of FF7R will do is tear apart the shipping fandom. The devs are not playing around anymore in that regard, not with one of the random lines from the trailer being Aeris's famous "I'm searching for you". Only this time she actually says "I'm STILL searching for you", translation taken straight from the japanese trailer because english localization department messed up as usual. Not like that really matters, but I think is still worth pointing out.

IMO FF7R was meant to happen. That last close up of Aeris right before the credits rolled had been always a major hint, and so was the exposition in Cosmo Canyon. Nomura also once stated that AC wouldn't be the last entry. The title REBIRTH is also very important, as the core theme of FFVII is Life.

Or as Nojima said: the story is easy to pick up.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-27, 18:18   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I very much doubt they had it all planned out years ago. They knew fans clamored for a remake and they took that opportunity to make something more.
Old 2022-06-27, 18:53   Link #17
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well "Rebirth" may also indicate Aerith being reborn into this new timeline which is why she has spotty memories of the original. That would also suggest that the 2nd game will delve more deeply into the concept of having this new timeline.
Old 2022-06-27, 21:45   Link #18
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I very much doubt they had it all planned out years ago. They knew fans clamored for a remake and they took that opportunity to make something more.
They have to, because game development takes years and things like the core concept and format, scope, etc have to be hammered out before they start making the assets.

Story is not something that gets figured out near the end unless the the narrative is intentionally light like Mario, where the story is made to fit the gameplay.
Old 2022-06-28, 01:41   Link #19
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

I'm pretty sure VII Remake is already on table for years.
I guessed sometimes around X Remaster because IIRC either Kitase or Nojima around that time when asked expressed that remaking VII is not easy due to amount of materials need to be checked so all the stuffs truly connected from BC-CC (pre-7) to AC-DC (post-7).

Around XV you could say what's left is deciding how to achieve balance of development, story and gameplay as they initially thought of doing open world in hope of doing remake in "3 discs" format like OG but later expressed they're glad Midgar is enough to summarize things because it helps the development (OG Disc 1 ended in City of Ancients). Perhaps indicating they learned to not be too ambitious after reflecting on XV development cost.
Old 2022-06-28, 07:04   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
They have to, because game development takes years and things like the core concept and format, scope, etc have to be hammered out before they start making the assets.

Story is not something that gets figured out near the end unless the the narrative is intentionally light like Mario, where the story is made to fit the gameplay.
He was implying it was planned as far back as AC, if not the original release of the game. I'm saying there's no way that's the case.